All Page 1 Zach Wilson Threads: MERGED

AFJF

11 hours ago, legler82 said:

Bruce Feldman of the Athletic in the past month has spoken to 2 dozen NFL coaches and scouts talked to coaches about the QBs in this draft.  Here are what 3 coaches had to say about Zach.  

QB Coach 2: I definitely have concerns about the level of competition. This guy goes from just being a guy in 2019, and now all of a sudden he’s being talked about as a top-5 pick? It happens, but he’s not playing against an SEC defensive front or a Pac-12 or Big 12 front. A lot of his throws are space throws. You don’t see him in a tight pocket a lot of times, and our league is a tight-pocket league. He’s not the biggest guy, but he has an arm — he can really rip it. I love the talent but there’s a lot of risk there to me.

QB Coach 3: Some of the stuff he does is jaw-dropping. You’re watching him and going, ‘Don’t throw it! Don’t throw it!’ But then he does and makes the play. He’s crazy on the field with his decisions. He has that snap release; he’s really accurate, especially making those off-balance throws. It’s like he can just flick it 55-60 yards.

QB Coach 1: The good with Zach Wilson is really good, but the bad can be really, really bad. And when he goes to a bad team like the Jets and he’s trying to win games, those are big concerns. To me he’s kinda like Patrick Mahomes coming out of college. People think now about Mahomes as the Super Bowl-winning quarterback and how great he is now, but coming out of Texas Tech, he was not this surefire guy. He was uber-talented arm-wise, and he does a lot of stuff that is really sexy now, but he threw a lot of bad picks, and his decision-making, I thought, was really inconsistent. With Wilson, you see a lot of, ‘Why would you even try that?’ When he gets to the NFL he’s got to retool his game, and you’re gonna have to let him learn what he can throw and can’t throw, but unlike Mahomes, Zach won’t have Andy Reid to coach him and a year behind Alex Smith to learn from. 

I could see Zach being a Pro Bowl QB quickly like (Justin) Herbert or I could see him being like Drew Lock. If I had to bet money, I’d bet it doesn’t work out for him with the Jets. Zach playing right away in that market with his play style — woof — that’d make me really nervous. And unlike Trey (Lance) and Justin (Fields), at least they’re 6-4, 230 and can run. So if he starts sh*tting the bed, we can get out of the game running the ball like Josh Allen did as a rookie in Buffalo.

I expected him to be Drew Lock-ish (in his interview); I did not get that vibe. He was great; smart. He knows we’re not gonna take him and he could’ve been a total dick and that it probably wouldn’t have hurt him, but he wasn’t. He knew his offense; we put on bad clips and he took ownership, all of that.

Can’t figure out why they wouldn’t include their names. What is this, the Russia investigation?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

In the last couple of weeks while researching this kid's background, I gotta say.  If he doesn't have the makeup of a future champion, I dont know who does. 

Kids a stud. Period.

Pretty much. 

He ticks nearly all the boxes - arm talent, accuracy, quick release, scheme fit, athleticism, ability to mentally process information quickly, film rat. He isn't perfect, ideally you'd like him to be 10 lbs heavier, footwork needs coaching up, but no one is perfect.

There is enough there for any competent NFL coaching staff to mould into a top ten quarterback in the league. If they are good enough, and if they are not, then none of the other available quarterbacks would have worked out anyway. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, legler82 said:

Bruce Feldman of the Athletic in the past month has spoken to 2 dozen NFL coaches and scouts talked to coaches about the QBs in this draft.  Here are what 3 coaches had to say about Zach.  

QB Coach 2: I definitely have concerns about the level of competition. This guy goes from just being a guy in 2019, and now all of a sudden he’s being talked about as a top-5 pick? It happens, but he’s not playing against an SEC defensive front or a Pac-12 or Big 12 front. A lot of his throws are space throws. You don’t see him in a tight pocket a lot of times, and our league is a tight-pocket league. He’s not the biggest guy, but he has an arm — he can really rip it. I love the talent but there’s a lot of risk there to me.

QB Coach 3: Some of the stuff he does is jaw-dropping. You’re watching him and going, ‘Don’t throw it! Don’t throw it!’ But then he does and makes the play. He’s crazy on the field with his decisions. He has that snap release; he’s really accurate, especially making those off-balance throws. It’s like he can just flick it 55-60 yards.

QB Coach 1: The good with Zach Wilson is really good, but the bad can be really, really bad. And when he goes to a bad team like the Jets and he’s trying to win games, those are big concerns. To me he’s kinda like Patrick Mahomes coming out of college. People think now about Mahomes as the Super Bowl-winning quarterback and how great he is now, but coming out of Texas Tech, he was not this surefire guy. He was uber-talented arm-wise, and he does a lot of stuff that is really sexy now, but he threw a lot of bad picks, and his decision-making, I thought, was really inconsistent. With Wilson, you see a lot of, ‘Why would you even try that?’ When he gets to the NFL he’s got to retool his game, and you’re gonna have to let him learn what he can throw and can’t throw, but unlike Mahomes, Zach won’t have Andy Reid to coach him and a year behind Alex Smith to learn from. 

I could see Zach being a Pro Bowl QB quickly like (Justin) Herbert or I could see him being like Drew Lock. If I had to bet money, I’d bet it doesn’t work out for him with the Jets. Zach playing right away in that market with his play style — woof — that’d make me really nervous. And unlike Trey (Lance) and Justin (Fields), at least they’re 6-4, 230 and can run. So if he starts sh*tting the bed, we can get out of the game running the ball like Josh Allen did as a rookie in Buffalo.

I expected him to be Drew Lock-ish (in his interview); I did not get that vibe. He was great; smart. He knows we’re not gonna take him and he could’ve been a total dick and that it probably wouldn’t have hurt him, but he wasn’t. He knew his offense; we put on bad clips and he took ownership, all of that.

QB coach 1 nails it. 

• WTF? 1

8 hours ago, The Crusher said:

QB coach 1 nails it. 

So when was the "Really, Really Bad"?

The 3 int's all season vs. 33 TD's?

the 27% incompletion percentage vs. the 73% completion %?

The 196 QBR - was that the really really bad?

Honestly, Coach 1 is literally just spewing cliche's with out anything to support it and what's sad is someone published that.  

There was NO really, really bad (yes, two really's) 

I think you've now watched a lot of his tape - have you seen "Really, Really Bad?"

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly, Coach 1 is literally just spewing cliche's with out anything to support it and what's sad is someone published that.  

I think you've now watched a lot of his tape - have you seen "Really, Really Bad?"

That’s because the worse is yet to come if the Jets draft and start him. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Let me help out here ... no  ... there IS NO REALLY REALLY bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The really really bad is likely the flea flicker where the other guy was more open that is somehow used by every analyst down on Wilson to somehow act like a huge play he actually completed was such a colossal mistake that he will clearly fail in the NFL. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The really really bad is likely the flea flicker where the other guy was more open that is somehow used by every analyst down on Wilson to somehow act like a huge play he actually completed was such a colossal mistake that he will clearly fail in the NFL. 

Feels great knowing that this is what’s left to criticize, kid is the real deal. 

• Post of the Week 1

The case for Zach Wilson

Most execs and evaluators would take Trevor Lawrence No. 1 all day, but there is a small group that believes, if you stripped away the Lawrence hype, Wilson might at least make a compelling case as the best quarterback in this class.

"If you value throwing ability and arm angles and 'wow' throws, then you could talk yourself into [Wilson at No. 1]," said an NFC exec, who added, "Lawrence is still more of a total package, though."

Added another exec: "It'd at least be worth a heated discussion in a normal year. I might actually take him if I had the first pick. I'm in the minority. His release, mechanics and the ability to play fast are elite."

Wilson is expected to be picked second overall by the Jets.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Chemistry!

5BF24511-492D-4838-B728-0598D45BB652.png

Now, we can’t say that Sam did or didn’t do this at all with any of his players, but to see this, and so early too just keeps echoing the same feeling so many have said that this just “feels different”

im hoping this is the WB/WR combo for years to come that we’ve been missing for so long. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
On 3/28/2021 at 4:04 PM, kdels62 said:

Yes. Look at them. Any of them close to Clemson or OSU talent wise? 

Could a super team made up of Michigan State, Rutgers, Nebraska, Penn State players match up to Ohio State? 

Clemson is light years ahead of the ACC except Notre Dame. 

There’s a reason why Wilson threw more passes in tight coverage than the other QBs.

How are his tight coverage passes  in the NFL working ???