Every Darnold completion/run of 2020

QB1

53 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

What was Darnold’s record?

7-6, with his career record at 13-25.  What's your point?  That he's good at beating really bad teams with injured QB's?  That that 7-6 record somehow translates to how he'd do with a loaded roster against a normal schedule, against teams with healthy QB's?  

If you're depending on a historically weak schedule to get W's, then you're not winning with Darnold.  Even if the rest of your roster is terrific.

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

7-6, with his career record at 13-25.  What's your point?  That he's good at beating really bad teams with injured QB's?  That that 7-6 record somehow translates to how he'd do with a loaded roster against a normal schedule, against teams with healthy QB's?  

If you're depending on a historically weak schedule to get W's, then you're not winning with Darnold.  Even if the rest of your roster is terrific.

My original post stands. That is my point.

• Upvote 1

On 3/31/2021 at 6:54 PM, QB1 said:

Man I can’t help but be impressed with this film... nothing was easy, OL collapsing nearly every play, throwing to nobody. I’m on the Wilson camp but I wonder what some real coaching and supporting cast do to Darnold. 

Thanks for posting. This was great to see cut up so you can watch it all at once.

I think it makes it that much clearer that the Jets are the ones who put themselves in this situation. If the light bulb ever does come on for Darnold, not only will he use this experience to become a more savvy, "been through it all" type QB, but he will be a successful starting QB. He's by far from ruined. He's just ruined for the Jets. He's a huge victim of circumstance. Not to say that he didn't have a chance to play well enough to be the FQB. But the talent to do that would have to be immense and I don't think he's at that elite level.  But the bad coaching, bad supporting cast and now the contract situation and high draft positioning and complete regime change all lead to a circumstance where Darnold just needs to find a new home and start over. 

A few things I was reminded of right off the bat is how well Darnold can throw on the run and when flat-footed. Now, those kinds of throws have also gotten him into trouble. But just the ability to do that is important. I think if Darnold wasn't always under pressure and by year 3 'shell-shocked', it would not have been an issue for him. The other thing is his escapability. I know he was sacked a lot, but he also got away from a lot of sacks. He is quick in the pocket and that is an absolute must these days in the NFL.

Now, the other things that I noticed was his overall talent compare to Wilson- and he doesn't match up. Maybe I would have to see Wilson go up against NFL competition but, to me, Wilson looks like he's got more of a cannon, a quicker release and better athleticism (if not quickness) to be true run threat. Wilson also has that same uncanny ability to throw with great accuracy on the run and off-platform. I would also say that he is much more comfortable with odd arm angles than Darnold, something that can really come in handy when you are caught in a bad position or just throwing screens or using misdirection. 

Bottom line, despite screwing up with Darnold, I really think Jet fans should consider themselves lucky. The organization botched the development of a potential FQB prospect (even if he wasn't going to end a Pro Bowler) who they used a ton of draft capital to snag, fired their GM and whiffed on a coach in one fell swoop. Then missed on a 'generational' QB by winning two games. Now we find ourselves with a even-keel GM who has an actual strategy and plan, a very promising coaching staff, cap space, draft picks, and what is suddenly looking like a really talented rookie QB.     

On 4/1/2021 at 4:05 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I understand you want to get rid of Sam Darnold and draft a new quarterback in this year’s draft. I agree with you that Sam Darnold’s quarterback play has been inconsistent and led to the Jets having losing seasons over the past three years. Even when Darnold went 7-6 last season, you are right; the Jets had one of the easiest schedules in the entire league. I think it's good that you have such passion for watching and rooting for the Jets and want nothing but for them to win games. I would, however, prefer that the Jets keep Sam Darnold and trade the number two overall draft pick for a bunch of other draft picks. I don’t think we can fairly evaluate Sam Darnold’s talent, because he has been playing with statistically the worst offensive line and receiving groups in the league over the last three years, all while being coached by the worst head coach in league history. I believe it is so important to have a winning team on the field, and we can both agree that the Jets have so many holes on the team and positions that need to be upgraded through the draft. With more draft picks from trading down, we can address more of these issues this year. How about after next season, when the Jets have more talent and a coaching staff known for developing quarterbacks around Sam Darnold, we decide about his future with the team? If he continues to play poorly, we can make a change at quarterback.

14 minutes ago, JetsFan459 said:

I understand you want to get rid of Sam Darnold and draft a new quarterback in this year’s draft. I agree with you that Sam Darnold’s quarterback play has been inconsistent and led to the Jets having losing seasons over the past three years. Even when Darnold went 7-6 last season, you are right; the Jets had one of the easiest schedules in the entire league. I think it's good that you have such passion for watching and rooting for the Jets and want nothing but for them to win games. I would, however, prefer that the Jets keep Sam Darnold and trade the number two overall draft pick for a bunch of other draft picks. I don’t think we can fairly evaluate Sam Darnold’s talent, because he has been playing with statistically the worst offensive line and receiving groups in the league over the last three years, all while being coached by the worst head coach in league history. I believe it is so important to have a winning team on the field, and we can both agree that the Jets have so many holes on the team and positions that need to be upgraded through the draft. With more draft picks from trading down, we can address more of these issues this year. How about after next season, when the Jets have more talent and a coaching staff known for developing quarterbacks around Sam Darnold, we decide about his future with the team? If he continues to play poorly, we can make a change at quarterback.

Because Darnold is a FA after the season.  I want the 2nd or 3rd round pick we'd get back in a trade.  That's why you move on from him now.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

Tim Jenkins who was one of the first to say Wilson is the best QB prospect in this draft has done a Darnold film breakdown.

Spoiler alert........he says we should keep Sam and trade down!

Of course he does. He’ll be right about the kid if he go’s to San Fran.