All 4 current CBS Mock Drafts have us taking a defensive player at #23

CBS Mock Picks for Jets at 23 (and the next Mocked Offensive Player)  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Of the 8 players listed, I would be happy if the Jets selected................ (choose all that apply)

• ASANTE SAMUEL JR. DB FSU
    • KWITY PAYE DL MICHIGAN
    • RONNIE PERKINS DE OKLAHOMA
    • JEREMIAH OWUSU-KORAMOAH LB NOTRE DAME 
    • KADARIUS TONEY WR FLORIDA 
    • LANDON DICKERSON OL ALABAMA
    • TRAVIS ETIENNE RB CLEMSON
    • LIAM EICHENBERG OL NOTRE DAME
  2. 2. If I could only SELECT ONE of the players listed, I would pick.................

• KWITY PAYE DL MICHIGAN

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/

All of them have us taking Wilson at #2

Mocked Jets Pick at #23

• KWITY PAYE DL MICHIGAN

These are the next Offensive Player selected in each Mock:

WHICH OF THOSE 8 PLAYERS WOULD YOU BE HAPPY WITH IF THEY JETS DRAFTED THEM AT #23? (SELECT ALL THAT APPLY)

There is going to be disappointed Jets fans on here, and on social media, after our second pick. 

Unless Vera Tucker is available, there is a strong probability we take a defensive player. Douglas will back himself to find a guard and center in rounds 2-3. 

• Upvote 3

I like Kwity or Toney. Both had ridiculous pro days. 

I need playmakers on offense and I need to stop the run and get pressure rushing 4. 

Toney gets the edge because, ya know, offense, bruh.

Besides:

WR KADARIUS TONEY

Height: 5-11 5/8"
Weight: 193 lbs.
Hand: 9 1/4"
Arm: 31 1/4"
Wingspan: 74 3/4"

40-yard: 4.41 & 4.39
Vertical: 39.5"
Broad Jump: 11'4"
Short Shuttle: 4.25
3-Cone: 6.88
Bennch Press: 9 reps

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-Gators-Football-Official-workout-results-from-Florida-Gators-Pro-Day-2021-NFL-Draft-Kyle-Pitts-Kadarius-Toney-Marco-Wilson-Trevon-Grimes-Kyle-Trask-163437797/

Looking Chris Farley GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Upvote 3

I like Corner or Edge at 23 unless a guy like Vera-Tucker is there. There’s a lot of OL that fall in that second tier after those top guys. We likely we’ll be able t get two solid interior OL at 34 and 66.

So QB  then defense and then double up on interior OL. 

• Upvote 1

Not what I want.

But what I expect.

Those of us hoping to get QB, WR, RB AND O-Line.....it's probably not happening.

Most likely will be much closer to a 50/50 split, QB #2. CB/EDGE/LB #23, WR/O-Line(2nd Round), CB/EDGE/LB/S (Third Round), etc.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Here's a novel thought. I bet the pick at 23 depends on what happens with picks 1-22. Trying to predict what the Jets do at 23 is pretty much a waste of time.  With so many needs, there is no way to even predict the position of the player drafted there, let alone the player.  

The pick at 23 should be Bateman or Toney

I believe that premium draft picks need to be used for players who are likely to be ultimate franchised or expensive in FA.

For the past few years OL, WR and EDGE are tough to sign in FA.

So we should be prioritizing them in the Draft.

I really don't see JD passing up value for need, but the positions need to be relatively limited in rounds 1 and 2.  As much as a great G would be great, I think we can get a G in round 3 better than the guys we have.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I believe that premium draft picks need to be used for players who are likely to be ultimate franchised or expensive in FA.

For the past few years OL, WR and EDGE are tough to sign in FA.

So we should be prioritizing them in the Draft.

I really don't see JD passing up value for need, but the positions need to be relatively limited in rounds 1 and 2.  As much as a great G would be great, I think we can get a G in round 3 better than the guys we have.  

We could always sign Joe Thuney?

Landon Dickerson? Really?  Am I the only guy who likes Humphrey better at C?

Also, that list seems very Meh to me except for Owusu-Koromoah from ND.  If we go defender at #23 I'd hope it's a CB (Horn, Newsome).  But my preference would be OLine.  Vera-Tucker is a dream at #23.  I'd even consider Teven Jenkins there to play either RG or RT.  I love guys like Etienne and Toney.... but not at #23.  People get enamored by highlights and offensive players who can make a difference.... I get it.  But #23 is too early for those guys.  Better value with Terrace Marshall, Rondale Moore, Javonte Williams later on IMO.

And, where is Zaven Collins? :D

You wouldn't hear me complaining about a Zach Wilson, Vera-Tucker and Zaven Collins Draft where we trade Darnold for a mid/late 2nd and come back to hit offensive skill positions like WR, TE, RB later in the 2nd and with our 3rd rounders.

• Upvote 2

Also, let's not forget the opportunity, IF the Jets get the QB position right this year, to really upgrade this team with its two 1st round picks next year.  Not needing a QB really opens up the Draft for a team.  Imagine if the Jets didn't need a QB now and had only been a 2-win team because a (good) Sam Darnold had been injured or something all year rather than playing badly.  It would be an amazing trade down opportunity.

46 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I like Kwity or Toney. Both had ridiculous pro days. 

I need playmakers on offense and I need to stop the run and get pressure rushing 4. 

Toney gets the edge because, ya know, offense, bruh.

Besides:

WR KADARIUS TONEY

Height: 5-11 5/8"
Weight: 193 lbs.
Hand: 9 1/4"
Arm: 31 1/4"
Wingspan: 74 3/4"

40-yard: 4.41 & 4.39
Vertical: 39.5"
Broad Jump: 11'4"
Short Shuttle: 4.25
3-Cone: 6.88
Bennch Press: 9 reps

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-Gators-Football-Official-workout-results-from-Florida-Gators-Pro-Day-2021-NFL-Draft-Kyle-Pitts-Kadarius-Toney-Marco-Wilson-Trevon-Grimes-Kyle-Trask-163437797/

Looking Chris Farley GIF by Saturday Night Live

Taking Toney in round one would make selecting back to back Safeties look brilliant. 

he’s not who you think he is and I will die on this hill.... Day 3. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Kolchak said:

While Sewell would look great in a Jets uniform, I think they're picking Wilson.  So, I'd be hoping for OL at 23. 

Darnold and the #23 to move up for Vera-Tucker would be a very astute move IMO.  Been talking about that kind of a trade for weeks now.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Taking Toney in round one would make selecting back to back Safeties look brilliant. 

he’s is not who you think he is and I will die on this hill. Day 3. 

Somebody will take him early.  I pray it's not us.

Other than the elite guys it feels like the sweet spot for WRs in this Draft is in the #40-60 range.  Would you agree with that?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

he’s is not who you think he is and I will die on this hill. Day 3. 

Remind me, if they do go WR at #23, who is it that you'd prefer?

4 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

While Sewell would look great in a Jets uniform, I think they're picking Wilson.  So, I'd be hoping for OL at 23. 

I just don’t understand the plan.  An injury prone guy who put up stats facing small schools is going to take the NFL by storm with a crappy offensive line, average receivers and the rbs can only get positive yardage running on Becton

11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

So how is Zach Wilson going to surpass Aaron Rodgers with a bottom 2 offensive line and a mediocre at best group of receivers?

Green Bay's o-line last year...

LT - Bakhtiari, pick 109

LG - Jenkins, pick 44

C- Linsley, pick 161

RG - Patrick, udfa

RT - Wagner - pick 168

Granted it's easier for a team with a HOF QB to 'get by' with late round o-line picks. The Jets will need to take a far more aggressive approach in the draft to support a rookie QB, no question. 

But Green Bay is also a sign that a) you can find great o-line value in the later rounds, and b) and a mobile, intelligent QB makes everyone look better. I suspect the Jets o-line is a lot better than how it looked last year with the 33rd-rated QB in the League. 

That said, give me Wyatt Davis at 34 and Landon Dickerson with whatever pick we get for Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not what I want.

But what I expect.

Those of us hoping to get QB, WR, RB AND O-Line.....it's probably not happening.

Most likely will be much closer to a 50/50 split, QB #2. CB/EDGE/LB #23, WR/O-Line(2nd Round), CB/EDGE/LB/S (Third Round), etc.

The good news seems to be that both OL and WR are relatively deep this year.  The bad news is that because of this some teams wait too long and you see a run on those positions out of nowhere in something like the 3rd round with WR, WR, WR all going in a row just before the Jets pick.

In an ideal world I think the Jets would go QB, OG/OT, and CB with their first three picks.  Assuming they get a Day 2 pick for Darnold they'll then have another 3 picks after that before the end of Round 3.  That's a huge opportunity that is hopefully seized by JD and looks a little better than last year's 3rd round with Zuniga and Davis.

• Upvote 1