All 4 current CBS Mock Drafts have us taking a defensive player at #23

CBS Mock Picks for Jets at 23 (and the next Mocked Offensive Player)  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Of the 8 players listed, I would be happy if the Jets selected................ (choose all that apply)

• ASANTE SAMUEL JR. DB FSU
    • KWITY PAYE DL MICHIGAN
    • RONNIE PERKINS DE OKLAHOMA
    • JEREMIAH OWUSU-KORAMOAH LB NOTRE DAME 
    • KADARIUS TONEY WR FLORIDA 
    • LANDON DICKERSON OL ALABAMA
    • TRAVIS ETIENNE RB CLEMSON
    • LIAM EICHENBERG OL NOTRE DAME
  2. 2. If I could only SELECT ONE of the players listed, I would pick.................

• KWITY PAYE DL MICHIGAN

1 hour ago, Viermoo said:

I can see the Jets trading back from 23 to late in the first or very early in the second and picking up an extra second then going OL, CB then OL again.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Last year, Joe Douglas had the parameters in place for a small move up if the OTs started flying off the board. It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't have similar contingency plans at #23 this year for a starting IOL. I also think that if he doesn't trade down from #2 that both #23 and #34 become potential trade down spots. That #34 is ripe for trading, as teams will have all night to decide who they want and what they're willing to pay for him. 

If he stays at both selections (unlikely, IMHO), my guess would be Edge/IOL in either order. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm still thinking (presuming Wilson), something like this.  

21Draft.jpg.31765149ab1f23f3a6ce02809ca97577.jpg

Doesn't get an EDGE, can't really be helped, I value the Guard/WR more than an Edge at #23, but still tries to help LB/CB/S with some guys with upside and athleticism.

With Rodgers, I think Crowder would be gone (sadly, I do like Crowder), but Rodgers is much cheaper, and Davis/Marshall/Mims/Rodgers feels like an actual, presentable, NFL WR position group for the first time in a while, lol.  

Again, more the gist than anything, could keep Crowder and swap Rodgers for another O-lineman (fine with that), or snag a TE later if one is going to catch alot of balls at the NFL level (ok with that too).  But QB/O-line/WR/RB are musts, and I think this would be a pretty good haul.

(Disclaimer, yes, I know, PFN mock simulator is just a tool to try and sorta map this stuff out, I know the draft won't fall this way, it never does).

I think Rodgers winds up on day 3. We’ll see. 

but I like the concept here 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

And its easier to limit your drops when the QB is throwing the ball to you from 20 feet away. 

Explain to me why a "gadget" player is bad if he can score from anywhere on the field, can catch screens, slants, always seems to be at the sticks, can run the ball, can return punts.  He's not Tyreek Hill but he'd be the most exciting player we've had in forever and with our fast tall WRs out near the sidelines, having a little guy short over the middle  would do wonders for Wilson.  At least until we get a real TE.

I get that these are highlights but looks like he caught about 8 bombs.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, KRL said:

Agreed, if Douglas thinks the first round is top heavy I could see him dealing

out and picking up additional picks in the 2nd and 3rd round and maybe a future #1

Yep, I think down from 23 makes sense and up from 23 arguably makes the most sense.

Just have a hard time seeing there being a clear value who helps the Jets this year at a premium position at pick 23 and there are a lot of positions Joe Douglas can do his Ashtyn Davis pick a starter a year ahead move.

The offensive line is particularly weird since he’s got a lot of cap flexibility but could also just roll that group forward if he thinks they’ve gelled and fit the scheme.

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Explain to me why a "gadget" player is bad if he can score from anywhere on the field, can catch screens, slants, always seems to be at the sticks, can run the ball, can return punts.  He's not Tyreek Hill but he'd be the most exciting player we've had in forever and with our fast tall WRs out near the sidelines, having a little guy short over the middle  would do wonders for Wilson.  At least until we get a real TE.

gadget players are those who need manufactured touches. It's great if you can take a jet sweep to the house, but you need to be able to run a dig route on 3rd and 8 when the D knows it's coming. I don't want to make it sound like Toney's a bust, but you're drafting him for 3-4 touches a game, manufactured ones IMO.... Anytime you hear "he can score from anywhere" - get curious. 

Or not. I feel strongly about it. But i'm an a**hole. 

For what's it worth -- 

31095623-DF86-4167-9A4F-0F8D5BDFB855.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Paradis said:

gadget players are those who need manufactured touches. It's great if you can take a jet sweep to the house, but you need to be able to run a dig route on 3rd and 8 when the D knows it's coming. I don't want to make it sound like Toney's a bust, but you're drafting him for 3-4 touches a game, manufactured ones IMO.... Anytime you hear "he can score from anywhere" - get curious. 

For what's it worth -- 

I’m not on the Twitter so I don’t know what that’s worth. Who is that? And opinions are like a-holes. 

I get he’s not Tyreek Hill but maybe he’s ...Tyreek Hill like. Maybe 3-4 touches turns into 15 touches.  

I would hate a guy like that on our team. 

It is likely that the best value at 23 will be an edge rusher or corner which we desperately need anyway. I'd love creed humphrey he would be my pick if available but I have a feeling someone will grab him up before us. The alternative would be to pass on the qb who has never played vs real competition and trade the second pick then we can really build the roster with young talent.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I’m not on the Twitter so I don’t know what that’s worth. Who is that? And opinions are like a-holes. 

I get he’s not Tyreek Hill but maybe he’s ...Tyreek Hill like. Maybe 3-4 touches turns into 15 touches.  

I would hate a guy like that on our team. 

Lol you do you, my man. Just my take, and my word isn’t law 

Of course we will. We’re a horribly run franchise. We’re neglecting the young QB before he’s even arrived so I’d be stunned if we actually do the smart thing and stack offensive talent. No one neglects that side of the ball quite like the Jets.

We will draft a mediocre Edge rusher at 23 and then get a CB who’ll be out of the league in 5 years time in the 2nd. That would be peak Jets.

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I get that these are highlights but looks like he caught about 8 bombs.

For me, he’s the guy. I can’t believe he’s getting overlooked. Dude is electric and all JD talks about is adding speed and playmakers. I’d like to see him finally follow through with that promise. At 34, I take the best OL available, defense be damned. I can deal with giving up points, I won’t be able to cope with destroying yet another rookie QB because he has nothing around him while scoring 10ppg.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

For what's it worth -- 

Hey Paradis. How would you feel about taking a flyer on Anthony Swartz. That's a guy you might be able to get some manufactured plays with. As a 5th rounder, i think that would be a go.

10 minutes ago, genot said:

Hey Paradis. How would you feel about taking a flyer on Anthony Swartz. That's a guy you might be able to get some manufactured plays with. As a 5th rounder, i think that would be a go.

I haven’t spent enough time on him to have an opinion to be honest. I seen the Jets have been linked/interested in him. 

Why has Douglas not signed any FA corners?

The whole idea behind FA and what all front offices have repeated over the years is you cover yourself at least to a minimum in FA so you do not HAVE to draft a position group in the draft and over value those picks.

Our CB situation is dire and saying "oh they really like Hall and Guidry"  guys who have played like 5 nfl games does not fill me with warm feelings.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I haven’t spent enough time on him to have an opinion to be honest. I seen the Jets have been linked/interested in him. 

Check him out. Please. Very fast. Catches with his hand. Very limited in his route tree. So what. If the plan is to get him 3-5 touches a game. 

7 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I like Kwity or Toney. Both had ridiculous pro days. 

I need playmakers on offense and I need to stop the run and get pressure rushing 4. 

Toney gets the edge because, ya know, offense, bruh.

Besides:

WR KADARIUS TONEY

Height: 5-11 5/8"
Weight: 193 lbs.
Hand: 9 1/4"
Arm: 31 1/4"
Wingspan: 74 3/4"

40-yard: 4.41 & 4.39
Vertical: 39.5"
Broad Jump: 11'4"
Short Shuttle: 4.25
3-Cone: 6.88
Bennch Press: 9 reps

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-Gators-Football-Official-workout-results-from-Florida-Gators-Pro-Day-2021-NFL-Draft-Kyle-Pitts-Kadarius-Toney-Marco-Wilson-Trevon-Grimes-Kyle-Trask-163437797/

Looking Chris Farley GIF by Saturday Night Live

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Taking Toney in round one would make selecting back to back Safeties look brilliant. 

he’s not who you think he is and I will die on this hill.... Day 3. 

Toney is explosive at times but hes got a bad case of dropsies. Stone hands toney

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Beat me to it. 

The dude catches everything. 

“So much of Toney's production was manufactured. He finished with the second-least yards per route run among the top-40 receivers in terms of receiving yardage in the FBS last season. Only 10 of Toney's 120 career catches, 8.3%, were contested. Much of them came within five yards of the line of scrimmage.

Though it’s true that Toney needs space to corral the ball, he at least doesn't drop the ball (only three on 123 career catchable balls). Toney began to venture into the intermediate sector more last year, and I can report he showed the consistent ability to separate, but at this time he's mostly getting by on an athleticism advantage.

I wonder if he'll ever acquire a feel for the wide receiver position that Paris Campbell and Curtis Samuel have searched the globe for (Samuel finally started to show flashes last season). 

Toney will be a slot in the NFL (where he lined up 83% of the time last season). We know he’ll be great fun on gadget plays, be an awesome returner, and provide an offense value on schemed touches. But for Kadarius Toney to be worth a top-40 pick, he needs to become a legitimate route-runner in order to receive the ball at all levels of the field. The more the ball is in his hands, the better.

I just wonder if he can get there. Toney had four years in college, and he comes with an injury wrap sheet. Injuries limited him to 239 snaps in the 2017 and 2019 seasons combined. His one awesome season came playing next to Kyle Pittsand Trevon Grimes in Dan Mullen system quarterbacked by Kyle Trask. “

summary; first round pick on a slot WR who we know will we’ll need to make a point of finding touches to get your money’s worth. Now does that sound like a 1st round pick, more like a 3rd and down. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

So much of Toney's production was manufactured. He finished with the second-least yards per route run among the top-40 receivers in terms of receiving yardage in the FBS last season. Only 10 of Toney's 120 career catches, 8.3%, were contested. Much of them came within five yards of the line of scrimmage.

Though it’s true that Toney needs space to corral the ball, he at least doesn't drop the ball (only three on 123 career catchable balls). Toney began to venture into the intermediate sector more last year, and I can report he showed the consistent ability to separate, but at this time he's mostly getting by on an athleticism advantage.

I wonder if he'll ever acquire a feel for the wide receiver position that Paris Campbell and Curtis Samuel have searched the globe for (Samuel finally started to show flashes last season). 

Toney will be a slot in the NFL (where he lined up 83% of the time last season). We know he’ll be great fun on gadget plays, be an awesome returner, and provide an offense value on schemed touches. But for Kadarius Toney to be worth a top-40 pick, he needs to become a legitimate route-runner in order to receive the ball at all levels of the field. The more the ball is in his hands, the better.

I just wonder if he can get there. Toney had four years in college, and he comes with an injury wrap sheet. Injuries limited him to 239 snaps in the 2017 and 2019 seasons combined. His one awesome season came playing next to Kyle Pittsand Trevon Grimes in Dan Mullen system quarterbacked by Kyle Trask

summary; first round pick on a slot WR who we know will we’ll need to make a point of finding touches to get your money’s worth. Now does that sound like a 1st round pick, or a 3-5th. 

Has nothing to do with whether he has drops or not. 

9 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/

All of them have us taking Wilson at #2

Mocked Jets Pick at #23

• KWITY PAYE DL MICHIGAN

These are the next Offensive Player selected in each Mock:

WHICH OF THOSE 8 PLAYERS WOULD YOU BE HAPPY WITH IF THEY JETS DRAFTED THEM AT #23? (SELECT ALL THAT APPLY)

If Kwity Paye was sitting there at 23 and we chose one of the four offensive players listed there, then JD would get knocked down a rung in my books, and I have been a solid supporter of what he has done so far.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Why has Douglas not signed any FA corners?

The whole idea behind FA and what all front offices have repeated over the years is you cover yourself at least to a minimum in FA so you do not HAVE to draft a position group in the draft and over value those picks.

Our CB situation is dire and saying "oh they really like Hall and Guidry"  guys who have played like 5 nfl games does not fill me with warm feelings.

Because Rome wasn't fixed in a day.