All 4 current CBS Mock Drafts have us taking a defensive player at #23

CBS Mock Picks for Jets at 23 (and the next Mocked Offensive Player)  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Of the 8 players listed, I would be happy if the Jets selected................ (choose all that apply)

• ASANTE SAMUEL JR. DB FSU
    • KWITY PAYE DL MICHIGAN
    • RONNIE PERKINS DE OKLAHOMA
    • JEREMIAH OWUSU-KORAMOAH LB NOTRE DAME 
    • KADARIUS TONEY WR FLORIDA 
    • LANDON DICKERSON OL ALABAMA
    • TRAVIS ETIENNE RB CLEMSON
    • LIAM EICHENBERG OL NOTRE DAME
  2. 2. If I could only SELECT ONE of the players listed, I would pick.................

• ASANTE SAMUEL JR. DB FSU
    • KWITY PAYE DL MICHIGAN
    • RONNIE PERKINS DE OKLAHOMA
    • JEREMIAH OWUSU-KORAMOAH LB NOTRE DAME 
    • KADARIUS TONEY WR FLORIDA 
    • LANDON DICKERSON OL ALABAMA
    • TRAVIS ETIENNE RB CLEMSON
    • LIAM EICHENBERG OL NOTRE DAME

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just today Jeremiah talked about his drops and that even mentioned him dropping passes at the pro day.

yea he had a couple of rough ones the senior bowl too... I would speculate those are related to concentration... he was extending himself out of his comfort zone maybe.

Look I don't want to suggest he's a waste of roster space - I'm just pushing back on him as anything more than a role player, destined for slot duties and probably only a few touches a game. There's value in that - just not in the first couple rounds

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

Just providing you with reading. Wasn’t meant to be about drops. 

Again, not sure why being called a "gadget player" at this point before his NFL career has started is such a bad thing.

I remember someone else being called a gadget player when they came out of college and given how he's produced, he'd be a top 15 pick today.

https://borderfuelsports.com/tyreek-hill-is-the-best-wide-receiver-in-the-league-and-not-a-gadget-player/

https://trackandfieldtalk.com/2020/12/05/tyreek-hills-journey-from-gadget-player-to-star-wide-receiver-how-31-teams-passed-up-on-him/

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/6/7/15746694/tyreek-hills-future-the-evidence-points-to-more-than-a-gadget-player

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/10/14/tyreek-hill-chiefs-true-number-1-receiver/

I get it, he's not Tyreek Hill.

Or is he?

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'm not asking him to fix Rome, i am asking him to put a paper bag over the 20 x 20 hole in the roman wall so the barbarians can;t just walk in.

Fair enough...But I think we are definitely drafting a CB with either #23 or #34.  Asante Samuel Jr. would look good in green!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Since we're likely NOT trading down from 2, I'd strongly be in favor of trading down from 23, given the likely talent that will be there.  

Especially if we can move from 23 without falling out of rd 1, thus ensuring we'd still get the 5th year option.

This could be a VERY likely scenario. 

There is always a team that wants to sneak back up in the later part of the first round.  We could slide down near the bottom of round one and still come away with a good CB.  Given the number of good OT's that can go in the 1st, 4-5 QB's, a bunch of WR's, there will probably be a choice between Jaycee Horn, Greg Newsome II, Caleb Farley,  or Asante Samuel Jr. near the bottom of one/top of two.  I have no doubt Douglas will slide down a bit with #23 and #34 to gain more picks in the later part of round 2 or in rounds 3 and 4 where there will be more great talent this year.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Again, not sure why being called a "gadget player" at this point before his NFL career has started is such a bad thing.

I remember someone else being called a gadget player when they came out of college and given how he's produced, he'd be a top 15 pick today.

https://borderfuelsports.com/tyreek-hill-is-the-best-wide-receiver-in-the-league-and-not-a-gadget-player/

https://trackandfieldtalk.com/2020/12/05/tyreek-hills-journey-from-gadget-player-to-star-wide-receiver-how-31-teams-passed-up-on-him/

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/6/7/15746694/tyreek-hills-future-the-evidence-points-to-more-than-a-gadget-player

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/10/14/tyreek-hill-chiefs-true-number-1-receiver/

I get it, he's not Tyreek Hill.

Or is he?

Do you think you're going to win me over with replies like this? We don't agree on Toney. Drop it.

It's a naive approach to draft chasing the exception, ignoring the 90% ...b/c there was this one guy....

The New York Outliers. 

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Do you think you're going to win me over with replies like this? We don't agree on Toney. Drop it.

It's a naive approach to draft chasing the exception, ignoring the 90% ...b/c there was this one guy....

The New York Outliers. 

I'm not trying to win over anyone.

The 90% is subjective and using a made up number as evidence of an exception is a logical fallacy.

Nobody knows anything, it's all guess work. 

And I'm not one of these guys that says "hey, let's just draft a TE in the 5th round, because, you know, Kittle" or "let's get a  QB with our 3rd 6th round pick, because, you know, Brady".

I love what the guy does with the ball in his hands, he can catch, he's fast, he's tough--not seeing him as a 3rd-5th rounder.  That's just me.  Maybe he'll never amount to anything.  Maybe he'll be an explosive playmaker.  

I can dream, can't I? I'm not the GM, I'm not making the pick so what I think does not matter.

Is Rondale Moore better? Elijah Moore? Tylan Wallace? 

23 hours ago, Warfish said:

Was just curious is all.

I don't think I dislike Toney as much as some seem to.  

I like Amari Rodgers as a slightly later pick, but I think he'll go sooner than he is being mocked.

I don't think Davis/Mims/Crowder? is a terribly impressive unit.  I just hope we get them some help, I'm flexible on who.

Get used to it ;), at least for the year. I don't have a bug in his office, but I'd be pretty shocked to see a WR in the first 3 picks this year.  

• Davis was his big get this year and, seeing how JJSS took a lower contract to return to Pittsburgh, there were really only 2 to choose from and one is coming off a pretty major injury.
  • Mims was a pretty high pick last year. I'm not blown away by him just yet either, but in fairness he missed the first half of his rookie season, after a sorry excuse for a rookie camp, and then walked into Darnold running Gase's offense (with some documented examples of him being wide open and Darnold looking right at him but not throwing it). 
  • Crowder is a plenty-adequate slot receiver, even with Darnold tossing it to him. For one more season my bigger concern with him isn't skill it's that he seems to miss games to injury almost every year, on top of the other two who aren't exactly NFL Ripkens themselves. Anyway he isn't some disaster who can't catch or get open.

So I think on the WR front they're likely to draft someone who'll take over for Crowder next year - meaning a later pick than more immediate hole-like needs - rather than another rookie for this year's starting offense (which already is shaping up to include QB, one OL position, and possibly a TE. Speaking of which...

TE is a pick I expect to see before WR. Don't know if that's (as some have proposed) moving Darnold + #23 for Pitts, if that's even an option in the first place, but I think that's where they're going early in round 3 if it falls in their likely priority order:

1. QB
  2. CB (it's a bigger hole than G, and where we're sitting today supposedly the draft's dropoff at CB is greater than for G between picks 23 and 34)
  3. G (or a G/T prospect who plays G for us; if Douglas was as dissatisfied with Fant as so many here he'd have done something about it last month, instead of guaranteeing half of Fant's top-10 RT salary).
  4. TE

That's all well and good in terms of planning, but who's available when can (and should) change the priorities after QB -- ultimately they're drafting people not "miscellaneous name to play LG" at 23/34. Plus who knows what is going to happen with any Darnold compensation; impossible to tell just yet. And I'm at least half-expecting them to trade down from 23 anyway unless a must-take corner is there.

But seeing them take a WR in round 1 would be a huge surprise to me.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I love what the guy does with the ball in his hands, he can catch, he's fast, he's tough--not seeing him as a 3rd-5th rounder.  That's just me.  Maybe he'll never amount to anything.  Maybe he'll be an explosive playmaker.  

I can dream, can't I? I'm not the GM, I'm not making the pick so what I think does not matter.

Is Rondale Moore better? Elijah Moore? Tylan Wallace? 

I feel like you're arguing with yourself. I keep telling you its fine, we all have our favorite players. All of the players you listed below are better in my opinion because of reliability/consistency/capability

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Get used to it ;), at least for the year. I don't have a bug in his office, but I'd be pretty shocked to see a WR in the first 3 picks this year.  

• Davis was his big get this year and, seeing how JJSS took a lower contract to return to Pittsburgh, there were really only 2 to choose from and one is coming off a pretty major injury.
  • Mims was a pretty high pick last year. I'm not blown away by him just yet either, but in fairness he missed the first half of his rookie season, after a sorry excuse for a rookie camp, and then walked into Darnold running Gase's offense (with some documented examples of him being wide open and Darnold looking right at him but not throwing it). 
  • Crowder is a plenty-adequate slot receiver, even with Darnold tossing it to him. For one more season my bigger concern with him isn't skill it's that he seems to miss games to injury almost every year, on top of the other two who aren't exactly NFL Ripkens themselves. Anyway he isn't some disaster who can't catch or get open.

So I think on the WR front they're likely to draft someone who'll take over for Crowder next year - meaning a later pick than more immediate hole-like needs - rather than another rookie for this year's starting offense (which already is shaping up to include QB, one OL position, and possibly a TE. Speaking of which...

TE is a pick I expect to see before WR. Don't know if that's (as some have proposed) moving Darnold + #23 for Pitts, if that's even an option in the first place, but I think that's where they're going early in round 3 if it falls in their likely priority order:

1. QB
  2. CB (it's a bigger hole than G, and where we're sitting today supposedly the draft's dropoff at CB is greater than for G between picks 23 and 34)
  3. G (or a G/T prospect who plays G for us; if Douglas was as dissatisfied with Fant as so many here he'd have done something about it last month, instead of guaranteeing half of Fant's top-10 RT salary).
  4. TE

That's all well and good in terms of planning, but who's available when can (and should) change the priorities after QB -- ultimately they're drafting people not "miscellaneous name to play LG" at 23/34. Plus who knows what is going to happen with any Darnold compensation; impossible to tell just yet. And I'm at least half-expecting them to trade down from 23 anyway unless a must-take corner is there.

Unless Waddle is there at 23 - which he wont - NO WAY JOSE does JD go WR @ 23 or 34. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. QB
  4. TE

Be assured, I am quite used to our offense having no or sub-par talent.  Another year of having sub-par talent is par for the course at this point.  That WR group, as is, is likely the worst in the AFC.

I've kicked the horse to death already, so not going to waste more hot air it here.  Your prediction is likely on point/generally accurate.  Not how I'd build a team, but no one cares, least of all JD, how I would build a team.

Gonna suck being 28th in Offense, 12th in Defense, and 6-11 in 2021, but I guess it is what it is.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Be assured, I am quite used to our offense having no or sub-par talent.  Another year of having sub-par talent is par for the course at this point.  That WR group, as is, is likely the worst in the AFC.

It’s not the worst in the division. 

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2021 at 1:48 PM, K_O_Brien said:

There is going to be disappointed Jets fans on here, and on social media, after our second pick. 

Unless Vera Tucker is available, there is a strong probability we take a defensive player. Douglas will back himself to find a guard and center in rounds 2-3. 

Tevin Jenkins could start at G and then take over RT next year.

we all want IOL but you shouldn’t use the draft just to fill immediate needs for the upcoming season.  You have to think 3-4 years out.  If there is a highly ranked Edge or CB (premier positions) then you can’t pass on them to fill a need in the first round. 

48 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s not the worst in the division. 

Depth Charts and 2020 Stats from ESPN:

Jets -- Davis (984/5)/Mims (Injured 357/0)/Crowder (699/6) + Herndon TE (287/3)

Pats -- Edelman (Injured 315/0)/Agholor (896/8)/Bourne (667/2) + Smith TE (448/8)

Bills -- Digs (1,535/8)/Sanders (726/5)/Beasley (967/4) + Knox TE (288/3)

Phins -- Parker (793/4)/Fuller (879/8)Williams (288/4) + Gesiki TE (703/6) (Plus almost assuredly a top WR prospect or Pitts at #6)

So which one are we better than, in your view?

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I've kicked the horse to death already, so not going to waste more hot air it here.  Your prediction is likely on point/generally accurate.  Not how I'd build a team, but no one cares, least of all JD, how I would build a team.

Gonna suck being 28th in Offense, 12th in Defense, and 6-11 in 2021, but I guess it is what it is.

I think you're underestimating the WR group, and are vastly overestimating every other team's WR corps even more so. A lot of this underestimation - and this is just one sperm's opinion - is based on our WRs' past teams' primary focus (running it) or shortcoming (Darnold). 

Seriously, as much as I would've probably gone other ways myself - I'm not the biggest Douglas fan on the site by a long shot - it's a better WR trio than most AFC teams have, and is nowhere near the worst in the conference.

• name the killer WRs on the Ravens these past 2 seasons. Marquise Brown had sub-Robby Anderson numbers (the guy you put in overtime making sure we all knew he wasn't a #1). Maybe he'll average 50 yards/game this year for the first time, hopefully.
  • Or the Patriots. Myers & Byrd & that bust Harry, and now Agholor who'll revert back to nothing again. They paid heavily for Agholor and two good-not-great TEs. Who's the "#1 WR" on that offense?
  • Name the Colts' top 3 WRs on their top 10 offense
  • Jacksonville's WRs are better than the Jets?
  • What makes Cincy's Tyler Boyd a "#1" -- is it just that the Bengals attempt more passes than the Jets (and Titans)?
  • Technically the Raiders' WR1 was Agholor, who was a far bigger in Philly than Davis in Tenn, on a 1 yr contract for the league minimum. Ruggs didn't do much as a rookie (per game his numbers were worse than Mims). Waller was a former 6th round nobody who was still on Baltimore's practice squad in his 2nd year who'd caught 12 whole passes by the time the Raiders scooped him up from the scrap pile.
  • Houston's got Cooks and...who, Randall Cobb? Yeah he was terrific with Aaron Rodgers, plus Jordy Nelson taking all the heat off him...back in 2014. Put those two on the Gase-Darnold Jets and tell me what their numbers likely would've been.
  • Buffalo's group is better solely because of Diggs. Beasley & Brown weren't doing much until they went to Buffalo (it'd been 3 years since Brown caught half the passes thrown his way, and Beasley was a 500-600 yd/yr slot receiver entering his 30s. Allen has something to do with it.
  • Pittsburgh's group is absolutely better, no doubt.
  • The Dolphins just signed Fuller. Sure he's got talent but is less reliable than any of the Jets' three. Last time he played in >11 games was as a rookie 5 years ago (and missed a couple games to injury back then, too). Parker & Fuller look good on paper. Let's see what happens with them in reality, though. Parker had that one 1200-yard season, but his 56% catch rate isn't the stuff of WR1s, and he flat-out drops a pass every other game. 

Just saying all that glitters is not gold. I'd rather have three guys who can get open, even if none is a Diggs clone, than one stud and two zeros. Especially for a young QB who's supposed to learn the game, not just learn to force it in to one guy, coverage be damned.

Add a decent TE to this group -and it's plenty good, provided they're healthy and that Mims isn't fool's gold. Whether that's from the draft or from Herndon remembering how to catch a football (plus being in an offense that doesn't hide its TE), there'll be more production from the position this year either way.

The only reason for this to be the #28 offense is if there are a repeat of the injuries from last year or if the QB sucks again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think you're underestimating the WR group, and are vastly overestimating every other team's WR corps even more so. A lot of this underestimation - and this is just one sperm's opinion - is based on our WRs' past teams' primary focus (running it) or shortcoming (Darnold). 

Seriously, as much as I would've probably gone other ways myself - I'm not the biggest Douglas fan on the site by a long shot - it's a better WR trio than most AFC teams have, and is nowhere near the worst in the conference.

• name the killer WRs on the Ravens these past 2 seasons. Marquise Brown had sub-Robby Anderson numbers (the guy you put in overtime making sure we all knew he wasn't a #1). Maybe he'll average 50 yards/game this year for the first time, hopefully.
  • Or the Patriots. Myers & Byrd & that bust Harry, and now Agholor who'll revert back to nothing again. They paid heavily for Agholor and two good-not-great TEs. Who's the "#1 WR" on that offense?
  • Name the Colts' top 3 WRs on their top 10 offense
  • Jacksonville's WRs are better than the Jets?
  • What makes Cincy's Tyler Boyd a "#1" -- is it just that the Bengals attempt more passes than the Jets (and Titans)?
  • Technically the Raiders' WR1 was Agholor, who was a far bigger in Philly than Davis in Tenn, on a 1 yr contract for the league minimum. Ruggs didn't do much as a rookie (per game his numbers were worse than Mims). Waller was a former 6th round nobody who was still on Baltimore's practice squad in his 2nd year who'd caught 12 whole passes by the time the Raiders scooped him up from the scrap pile.
  • Houston's got Cooks and...who, Randall Cobb? Yeah he was terrific with Aaron Rodgers, plus Jordy Nelson taking all the heat off him...back in 2014. Put those two on the Gase-Darnold Jets and tell me what their numbers likely would've been.
  • Buffalo's group is better solely because of Diggs. Beasley & Brown weren't doing much until they went to Buffalo (it'd been 3 years since Brown caught half the passes thrown his way, and Beasley was a 500-600 yd/yr slot receiver entering his 30s. Allen has something to do with it.
  • Pittsburgh's group is absolutely better, no doubt.
  • The Dolphins just signed Fuller. Sure he's got talent but is less reliable than any of the Jets' three. Last time he played in >11 games was as a rookie 5 years ago (and missed a couple games to injury back then, too). Parker & Fuller look good on paper. Let's see what happens with them in reality, though. Parker had that one 1200-yard season, but his 56% catch rate isn't the stuff of WR1s, and he flat-out drops a pass every other game. 

Just saying all that glitters is not gold. I'd rather have three guys who can get open, even if none is a Diggs clone, than one stud and two zeros. Especially for a young QB who's supposed to learn the game, not just learn to force it in to one guy, coverage be damned.

Add a decent TE to this group -and it's plenty good, provided they're healthy and that Mims isn't fool's gold. Whether that's from the draft or from Herndon remembering how to catch a football (plus being in an offense that doesn't hide its TE), there'll be more production from the position this year either way.

The only reason for this to be the #28 offense is if there are a repeat of the injuries from last year or if the QB sucks again. 

Lol, thank you. I don't have this kind of energy. 

• Haha 1

I think Douglas will target a CB at #23 because there is a huge drop off after the first 3-4 corners.  On the other hand, there is a starting guard/tackle to be had in round 2 (e.g., Wyatt Davis, Trey Smith, Creed Humphrey).  At #66 and #86, I suspect Douglas to target an edge (e.g.,Carlos Basham, Ronnie Perkins, Jordan Smith) and a TE (e.g., Hunter Long, Brevin Jordan, Tommy Tremble).  WR could be targeted in a later round.  I happen to love Nico Collins.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

I think Douglas will target a CB at #23 because there is a huge drop off after the first 3-4 corners.  On the other hand, there is a starting guard/tackle to be had in round 2 (e.g., Wyatt Davis, Trey Smith, Creed Humphrey).  At #66 and #86, I suspect Douglas to target an edge (e.g.,Carlos Basham, Ronnie Perkins, Jordan Smith) and a TE (e.g., Hunter Long, Brevin Jordan, Tommy Tremble).  WR could be targeted in a later round.  I happen to love Nico Collins.

I can see it rolling like this. 

Creed will be gone before 23.  He will have the CBS valued higher than the Ts.

There should be T available at 34, but we should remember that the playoff teams that lost OL will pick them at the bottom of Rd 1.  

I just have a feeling that, despite the need for OL and CB, there will be players of higher value available at 23 and 34.