Is the real trade down opportunity with Pick #34?

One of the most fun parts of the Draft in recent years with the new format of having the first day only include Round 1 is spending those next 24 hours looking at who slipped from the 1st Round to the second day.  I've sometimes looked on with envy at those teams sitting at the top of Round 2 with that first pick the next day. 

Last year we watching the 1st Round conclude after the Jets seemingly solved one need at OT and eyeballing WRs for Round 2.  BAM!  The first two guys off the board were Tee Higgins and Michael Pittman, two favorites of many of us.

This year, the Jets sit with the second pick in Round 2 at #34.  I'm 100% sure that we will all find at least two players that we'd love to see taken...but, so will most of the NFL.  Does that pick at #34 provide a valuable trade down opportunity for the Jets?  Is it a spot that can be juiced a little bit and elicit maybe more than FMV for the pick?

Again, the Jets will still undoubtedly have needs that could potentially be filled there at #34, but if they've done some good work in Round 1 this seems like the spot where JD might try to work his magic (for the second year in a row) with a trade down in Round 2.

• Upvote 2

I actually think the trade down is at 23. Unless there’s a Jaelan Phillips, Patrick Surtain/ Jaycee Horn, or Alijah Vera-Tucker then the value there isn’t great. A trade down at that spot keeps in range for a lot of guys at 34 and wherever we land after the trade.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I actually think the trade down is at 23. Unless there’s a Jaelan Phillips, Patrick Surtain/ Jaycee Horn, or Alijah Vera-Tucker then the value there isn’t great. A trade down at that spot keeps in range for a lot of guys at 34 and wherever we land after the trade.

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

I think 34 is a great trade down opportunity but also agree with this - 23 is no man’s land.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I’d be willing to trade down to the end of the first round but not necessarily out of it. I think keeping that 5th year option is something to be mindful of.

14 hours ago, fullblast said:

I’d be willing to trade down to the end of the first round but not necessarily out of it. I think keeping that 5th year option is something to be mindful of.

Yeah I would want to stay in the 27-30 range if we did trade down 

On 4/1/2021 at 1:20 PM, kdels62 said:

Jets seem to like Teven Jenkins. He'd be a great pick at 23. Pitt seems to like Teven Jenkins, they select 24th. Moving down with Jenkins on the board may not make sense as they will most likely miss out on him. I have a feeling JD will be willing to move up for 'his guy' at 23. If he is unable to or that prospect goes surprisingly early, lets say a guy like Zaven Collins who could go as high as the Cardinals at 16 (maybe higher), then a trade down makes a ton of sense.