Jimmy Sexton's influence on the Jets

40 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jimmy was also gase agent 

This is who really runs the Jets 

Who do they represent in this draft? If it's Zach wilson that makes a world of sense 

TBH Sexton seems to run ESPN if anything.

Diana Rusini literally asked: “why are we so quick to toss out Sam Darnold?” - with a look of confusion

You’d think she’d know he’s been terrible 3 consecutive seasons on a expiring contract and the NYJ have the #2 pick in a highly touted QB draft class 

Sexton has major media puppets like Adam Schefter on the payroll 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Sexton had his way, what would be the move here? I’d guess it’d be getting Darnold paid, then traded? I think @football guy posited this at one point—the Jets give Darnold three years at $18 mil per, removing the urgency of the fifth year option at lesser cost, and then giving him the chance to either recover here, or go somewhere else where the new team doesn’t have to pay him right away.

Building the Jets correctly is his number one job. If he can do that while also not screwing anyone over, that will be beneficial for him going forward - with owners and agents alike. I believe it when he says he genuinely likes Darnold, and I think he'd like to be able to put Sam in a spot where he has a chance to succeed. Kinda the least he can do after the way this franchise pretty much shafted him. But in the end, it'll be what's best for the Jets. That's what's best for him, personally, too. 

If the Jets trade out of the #2 spot and don't take a QB, it'll be for the haul they get for that pick, not for the benefit of Sam Darnold. And they're probably just taking Wilson, anyway. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Keeping him here, the first 3 & out the whole fan base and media will be out to destroy Sam.

No they wont..  about half the fans want them to run it back and trade down.

Drafting the twink at 2 would be a gut punch.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Who do they represent in this draft? If it's Zach wilson that makes a world of sense 

William Morris Entertainment reps Wilson -  https://kslsports.com/452055/zach-wilson-maserati-nfl-draft/?

Sewell is with Athlete's First https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/oregon-ducks/penei-sewell-signs-athletes-first-agency-ahead-2021-nfl-draft

I couldn't find who reps Kyle Pitts ---- Is it Jimmy Sexton?

31 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I dont see Joe Douglas' career at risk here.

You don't see how making personnel decisions based on the interests of your agents other clients rather than the benefit of the team would hurt a GMs career? Were you dropped as a child?

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Whether you like it or not, Zachapono will be the starter for the NY Jets week 1.  For anyone with a pulse, it's frightening.  For the Jets, it's business as usual. 

Any other draft in the last 3 years, I would say you are right but the amount of talent in the first round this year is obscene.  I could definitely see a trade down for a rediculous  price. 

53 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It's been well documented that Joe Douglas and Sam Darnold both employ Sexton as their representation. Thoughts on how much influence this could potentially have at 2?

Just total gut feeling that the Jets are not locked into a QB at 2 and there's some serious internal (and external push) to keep Darnold. This would obviously be bad and a total conflict of interest...but also worth noting that the two big signings the Jets made this offseason - (Davis and Lawson) are both represented by the same agency as Darnold and Douglas. Maybe we need to connect the dots? 

The way I see it is the Johnsons while stupid in football terms but when it comes to business, they own one of the biggest legacy corporations in history. Hopefully they vetted this situation thoroughly when going through the hiring process 

They would be able to identify a rat like this... HOPEFULLY ? 

CAA, who Sexton works for,  is the biggest agency in the nfl with the most clients and the most top 100 clients out of any agency. So of course there will be crossover between coaches and players. He represents 7 Nfl Head Coaches. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Any other draft in the last 3 years, I would say you are right but the amount of talent in the first round this year is obscene.  I could definitely see a trade down for a rediculous  price. 

The talent after the top 8-10 non QB's takes a nose dive. The depth is in rounds 2 thru 4.

1 hour ago, mfmartin said:

Adam Gase was also represented by the same agency and he is gone. Also, there were plenty of people that Douglas could have hired that he had previous connections with, but he chose Saleh because that is what is best for the team. Douglas will do what is best for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

Sexton was also Gase's agent or maybe still is.

Gase is paid in full.

As a bonus, he gets to not coach the Jets.

Gase won.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

It's been well documented that Joe Douglas and Sam Darnold both employ Sexton as their representation. Thoughts on how much influence this could potentially have at 2?

Just total gut feeling that the Jets are not locked into a QB at 2 and there's some serious internal (and external push) to keep Darnold. This would obviously be bad and a total conflict of interest...but also worth noting that the two big signings the Jets made this offseason - (Davis and Lawson) are both represented by the same agency as Darnold and Douglas. Maybe we need to connect the dots? 

Oh boy, another Matt39 conspiracy theory. Dig in people.

tenor.gif.de2606c22733125543b865c518e90b23.gif

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

The way I see it is the Johnsons while stupid in football terms but when it comes to business, they own one of the biggest legacy corporations in history. Hopefully they vetted this situation thoroughly when going through the hiring process 

It’s not exactly a difficult job

• Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, QB1 said:

You don't see how making personnel decisions based on the interests of your agents other clients rather than the benefit of the team would hurt a GMs career? Were you dropped as a child?

Douglas has a 6 year guaranteed contract and will have a job in the NFL for life. Do you live underneath power lines?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, slats said:

Building the Jets correctly is his number one job. If he can do that while also not screwing anyone over, that will be beneficial for him going forward - with owners and agents alike. I believe it when he says he genuinely likes Darnold, and I think he'd like to be able to put Sam in a spot where he has a chance to succeed. Kinda the least he can do after the way this franchise pretty much shafted him. But in the end, it'll be what's best for the Jets. That's what's best for him, personally, too. 

If the Jets trade out of the #2 spot and don't take a QB, it'll be for the haul they get for that pick, not for the benefit of Sam Darnold. And they're probably just taking Wilson, anyway. 

How are any of these things mutually exclusive? Douglas can do right by Darnold, and the Jets, and Sexton, and still draft Wilson at 2 if he wants. The only way it becomes a conflict is if Sexton wants to put Sam on a team that doesn’t want to give Douglas what he wants and he has to settle for less.

41 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Neither Johnson brother has ever had a real job. Woody tried starting a cable company in Florida once but was quickly bought out, iirc.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How are any of these things mutually exclusive? Douglas can do right by Darnold, and the Jets, and Sexton, and still draft Wilson at 2 if he wants. The only way it becomes a conflict is if Sexton wants to put Sam on a team that doesn’t want to give Douglas what he wants and he has to settle for less.

Correct, which is exactly what I'm saying. He won't put him on the team Sexton wants him on to settle for less. He'll do what's best for the team, and that could easily also be what's best for twelve other Jimmy Sexton clients, but that will be more coincidence than conspiracy. 

• Upvote 1

So..... to avoid any conflict of interest the Jets should avoid signing any agents working with Sexton's agency?

Ok

Sent from the NY Jets Draft Suicide Watch desk.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I'm thinking the opposite here, that Sexton should and would want to move Darnold out of here, not keep him here.

So the conspiracy is that our GM would not let go of a player b/c they share the same agent despite us just firing the HC who brought the GM in, and shares the same agent? Because our GM, who is a client of said agent and pays his salary, would do something not in the best interest of the team he manages to appease his agent? 

If JD was going to for some unexplainable reason stay with SD at Sexton's begging, why wouldn't he have taken the SF deal? We know JD covets drat picks, he could have gotten at minimum the Miami package (and could have traded back down with his old boss like Miami did), so wouldn't he have done it then? 

I hate when people say this - because this is a message board for Jets fans to discuss Jets issues - but man we really need the draft to get here. 

JD is staying at 2 and picking Zach Wilson. MAYBE another QB. The SF trade, and all of the things that came out of it (SF not trying to get to 2, Philly saying they'd be interested in 3 if ZW is available - and the ties those two groups have to Jets FO/Coaching Staff), basically sealed the ZW pick. If that didn't what Steve Young said yesterday + all of the other insider reports should. 

When you hear hoofbeats - think horses, not zebras. The pick is going to be Wilson. The only conspiracy I can see involving Sexton would be him lobbying for JD to take a slightly worse draft package to send SD to a better situation - and I scoff at that notion just as much as this entire scenario. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

So the conspiracy is that our GM would not let go of a player b/c they share the same agent despite us just firing the HC who brought the GM in, and shares the same agent? Because our GM, who is a client of said agent and pays his salary, would do something not in the best interest of the team he manages to appease his agent? 

If JD was going to for some unexplainable reason stay with SD at Sexton's begging, why wouldn't he have taken the SF deal? We know JD covets drat picks, he could have gotten at minimum the Miami package (and could have traded back down with his old boss like Miami did), so wouldn't he have done it then? 

I hate when people say this - because this is a message board for Jets fans to discuss Jets issues - but man we really need the draft to get here. 

JD is staying at 2 and picking Zach Wilson. MAYBE another QB. The SF trade, and all of the things that came out of it (SF not trying to get to 2, Philly saying they'd be interested in 3 if ZW is available - and the ties those two groups have to Jets FO/Coaching Staff), basically sealed the ZW pick. If that didn't what Steve Young said yesterday + all of the other insider reports should. 

When you hear hoofbeats - think horses, not zebras. The pick is going to be Wilson. The only conspiracy I can see involving Sexton would be him lobbying for JD to take a slightly worse draft package to send SD to a better situation - and I scoff at that notion just as much as this entire scenario. 

This isnt a conspiracy. It's just a thought. Darnold is still on the roster. Half the board seems to think he's still good/salvageable/still should be here...so Douglas has that going for him as well if he decides to keep him.