Jimmy Sexton's influence on the Jets

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Very true.  If the jets keep darnold and Wilson becomes a star, darnold will be hated here forever as will douglas.

If Wilson flops, and Darnold finds success elsewhere, it would be worse for JD Wouldn't it.

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Where does Darnold start?

Any team that doesn't  have a QB would give him a chance. If he can't beat out a backup, then he doesn't  start but something that should piss off every Jets fan is we never got a fair evaluation of Darnold. We don't  know what he is. All we know is with horrible coaching,  no skill players, and a horrible OL, he sucks. 

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Any team that doesn't  have a QB would give him a chance. If he can't beat out a backup, then he doesn't  start but something that should piss off every Jets fan is we never got a fair evaluation of Darnold. We don't  know what he is. All we know is with horrible coaching,  no skill players, and a horrible OL, he sucks. 

Let’s cut to the chase. He wouldn’t start over Bridgewater or Fitzpatrick. 

25 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm thinking the opposite here, that Sexton should and would want to move Darnold out of here, not keep him here.

I actually don't agree with this.

I think, by the lack of real rumors re: interest, and the teams left without QB solved for next year, Darnold's quickest path to a new, big contract is here.

Where else will he have a shot to do that?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This isnt a conspiracy. It's just a thought. Darnold is still on the roster. Half the board seems to think he's still good/salvageable/still should be here...so Douglas has that going for him as well if he decides to keep him.

Half? I Dont Think So Sacha Baron Cohen GIF by Amazon Prime Video

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

The way I see it is the Johnsons while stupid in football terms but when it comes to business, they own one of the biggest legacy corporations in history. Hopefully they vetted this situation thoroughly when going through the hiring process 

They would be able to identify a rat like this... HOPEFULLY ? 

Woody and his sidekick brother do not manage J & J.   They make money from it but are not involved in it.    

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I think, by the lack of real rumors re: interest, and the teams left without QB solved for next year, Darnold's quickest path to a new, big contract is here.

I don't think for one moment that the Jets will extend Darnold or even trigger the 5th year option.  Darnold's best chance for a nice 2nd contract could be to move on and prove he can play with another team.  It would be foolish for him and Sexton to bank on the Jets.

27 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

If JD was going to for some unexplainable reason stay with SD at Sexton's begging

The "unexplainable reason" is kickbacks.  Massive kickbacks.

Let's say you're in the Sexton/Darnold inner circle.  You know that if the Jets let Darnold go, he becomes a back-up somewhere, and likely never gets the big contract, because, unlike a bunch of wishful Jets fans, you know he just doesn't have it.  He's likely out of the league in 3-4 years and two teams.

The alternative, convince one person, Woody Johnson, that Darnold can be salvaged if we just keep adding talent.  How much of that 120M you just scammed from Woody Johnson would you offer Douglas to make this happen?  Most GM's fail anyway, so do you really turn away a massive kickback because you believe you're going to fix the Jets and get another contract here?

By no means is this an endorsement of the conspiracy.  But, it's far from "unexplainable."

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I don't think for one moment that the Jets will extend Darnold or even trigger the 5th year option.  Darnold's best chance for a nice 2nd contract could be to move on and prove he can play with another team.  It would be foolish for him and Sexton to bank on the Jets.

Let's say they don't take a QB this year.  What's the alternative for the Jets?

Draft a QB next year, and bring in a vet?

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

It's been well documented that Joe Douglas and Sam Darnold both employ Sexton as their representation. Thoughts on how much influence this could potentially have at 2?

None.

The "...but they share the same agent, tin foil hats!" meme is one of the silliest in Pro Sports.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Let's say they don't take a QB this year.  What's the alternative for the Jets?

Draft a QB next year, and bring in a vet?

I think the chance of not drafting Wilson at 2 or Fields a bit below are nil.  We'll see how much they "like" Darnold as the spring progresses and we approach the draft.  My opinion: He's gone. 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I think the chance of not drafting Wilson at 2 or Fields a bit below are nil.  We'll see how much they "like" Darnold as the spring progresses and we approach the draft.  My opinion: He's gone. 

I agree with you, I think we're taking a QB.  I'm only speculating on the possibility we don't.  At which point the chance of the big contract is very much in play.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

It's been well documented that Joe Douglas and Sam Darnold both employ Sexton as their representation. Thoughts on how much influence this could potentially have at 2?

Just total gut feeling that the Jets are not locked into a QB at 2 and there's some serious internal (and external push) to keep Darnold. This would obviously be bad and a total conflict of interest...but also worth noting that the two big signings the Jets made this offseason - (Davis and Lawson) are both represented by the same agency as Darnold and Douglas. Maybe we need to connect the dots? 

2 out of 12 ?  Wow connect those dots lol

23 minutes ago, genot said:

If Wilson flops, and Darnold finds success elsewhere, it would be worse for JD Wouldn't it.

I don't think so. I was one of Darnold's biggest supporters in the past and still think he can turn it around. But he was given 3 years. Never played a full season. Never really elevated the talent around him. 

He does have some excuses, but I don't think anyone would blame JD for moving on from Darnold given that we are picking at #2 and there are guys like Wilson/Fields/Jones/Lance available. 

If we were drafting at 15 and traded Darnold to sign Tyrod Taylor and Andy Dalton, only to watch Darnold blossom elsewhere, that would be much harder to take. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

CAA, who Sexton works for,  is the biggest agency in the nfl with the most clients and the most top 100 clients out of any agency. So of course there will be crossover between coaches and players. He represents 7 Nfl Head Coaches. 

And represents 11 of 14 SEC coaches. Huge football client base. But to some it’s shocking the Jets have 2 guys repped by him and CAA

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don't think it's half.  I think there's 3 factions, and at this point, the largest is that Darnold is trash.

The other two factions that want to keep Darnold are split between the people who think he's still good/salvageable/still should be here... and those who want to keep him only because they don't think Wilson/Fields are good, or they think we should trade down just to get as much talent as possible.

The true believers are a very small minority at this point.

Agreed. Even  the faction that supports Darnold aren't going to be up in arms if he is traded. Like you said, they think he is "good" and "salvageable". That faction would ALL be in favor of taking Trevor Lawrence. So it's really just a question of buying into Wilson at this point. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

No they wont..  about half the fans want them to run it back and trade down.

Drafting the twink at 2 would be a gut punch.

Half? Noway. Quarter maybe. The rest want to draft someone, not necessarily Wilson. 

But I’d say a majority of all Jets fans are over Samchez.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. Even  the faction that supports Darnold aren't going to be up in arms if he is traded. Like you said, they think he is "good" and "salvageable". That faction would ALL be in favor of taking Trevor Lawrence. So it's really just a question of buying into Wilson at this point. 

I think if we had #1 there'd be a few still out there saying, we can get 4 1s to surround Darnold!  That's better than Lawrence!

30 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Let’s cut to the chase. He wouldn’t start over Bridgewater or Fitzpatrick. 

Over Fitz? Definitely.  Bridgewater has had chances to start and couldn't  hold on. I doubt he would come into a camp thought as anything but a backup. Nobody is bringing in Sam as a backup.  They will want him to start. 

Ues, he has been awful  on the Jets and they can't  wait anymore but that doesn't  mean other teams will feel that way. Sam has had to play with the worst offensive players in the league. If you don't  think that matters,  we don't  need to have this conversation. 

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Over Fitz? I think he would. Bridgwater imo is a starter so it's  a toss-up

2020:

Darnold: 12 games | 59.6 pct | 2,208 pass yds | 6.1 ypa | 9 pass TD | 11 INT | 217 rush yds | 2 rush TD | 2 fumbles lost

Fitzpatrick: 9 games | 68.5 pct | 2,091 pass yds | 7.8 ypa | 13 pass TD | 8 INT | 151 rush yds | 2 rush TD | 0 fumbles lost

Almost 10 points better in completion percentage, almost 2 yards better in yards per attempt, 4 more TDs, 3 less INTs, 2 less fumbles lost, and only 120 less yards in 3 less games.

He also put up one of the best seasons for a Jets QB we've seen, sad as that may be.  And the Redskins, who were thought to be linked to Darnold, signed him well before the draft, showing they weren't willing to lose him in the hope that perhaps they could land Darnold.

Fitzpatrick is a meme at this point, but there's a reason he's still around, and still a starter.  He is a professional quarterback, who's made an incredibly impressive career for himself.

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Absolutely not. I think extending Darnold is the nuclear option for the Jets.  I truly believe JD will let him walk if need be. 

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

2020:

Darnold: 12 games | 59.6 pct | 2,208 pass yds | 6.1 ypa | 9 pass TD | 11 INT | 217 rush yds | 2 rush TD | 2 fumbles lost

Fitzpatrick: 9 games | 68.5 pct | 2,091 pass yds | 7.8 ypa | 13 pass TD | 8 INT | 151 rush yds | 2 rush TD | 0 fumbles lost

Almost 10 points better in completion percentage, almost 2 yards better in yards per attempt, 4 more TDs, 3 less INTs, 2 less fumbles lost, and only 120 less yards in 3 less games.

He also put up one of the best seasons for a Jets QB we've seen, sad as that may be.  And the Redskins, who were thought to be linked to Darnold, signed him well before the draft, showing they weren't willing to lose him in the hope that perhaps they could land Darnold.

Fitzpatrick is a meme at this point, but there's a reason he's still around, and still a starter.  He is a professional quarterback, who's made an incredibly impressive career for himself.

Lol. I actually edited my response because I didn't  want to read a bunch of meaningless Fitz stats.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Absolutely not. I think extending Darnold is the nuclear option for the Jets.  I truly believe JD will let him walk if need be. 

I don't think it's going to happen, either.  I'm simply saying that playing next season for the Jets is, as of today, the most efficient way to get to that contract.

At this point, it's unlikely he starts anywhere else in 2021, so the best case scenario for him to quick money is putting together an adequate season here that can sell more people on the "it was Gase's fault" nonsense, and get him paid based on future hope.  It's sort of exactly how Sanchez got paid, no?

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Lol. I actually edited my response because I didn't  want to read a bunch of meaningless Fitz stats.

They're only meaningful in the sense that Fitzpatrick, today, is a better QB than Sam Darnold.

Anyone who thinks Sam Darnold is collecting big checks at 38 from this league is out of their mind.

• Haha 1