Pauline reports Jets interested in Teven Jenkins-OT

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

You're probably right, but I think our young CBs got a lot better as the season progressed and have more potential than people think. (even though I agree that we definitely need another CB). 

My priority list after QB is:

IOL

CB

TE/WR/RB (weapons)

Agree..

• Upvote 1

After his pro day at Oklahoma State on Thursday, Jenkins didn’t mince words when asked to describe his play style.

“[I’m a] tough, physical, nasty mother****er, a dude who does not shy away from hits,” Jenkins said. “A dude who is going to bust his ass.”

I'm in...Start him at RG - let him be our future RT after next year - form the nastiest line in the NFL. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Also I just checked a few of the reputable mock drafts: 

DJ has him going at 29 

Dane Brugler has him going at 20 

McShay has him going at 25 

Kiper has him at 24

Matt Miller has him at 31

I don't know who else to add - but good shot we get him at 23 - but unlikely at 34

The question for me is, if Humphrey is there at 23, which one do we take? You could make an argument that we should take Humphrey, move McGovern to guard, and then take a guy like Wyatt Davis at 34. That gives you the opportunity to upgrade all 3 interior line spots with two draft picks. 

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It’s not my #1 game plan but I don’t think it’s excessive in the least bit.

At 23 and 34 I’d disagree.  I know we’ve all been burned by the draft capital spent on defense over the years but I can’t see how we leave the 2nd round of this draft without adding a CB or OLB.

now if JD trades back from 23 and/or gets a 2-3 for Sam then two OL picks might make more sense 

14 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Also I just checked a few of the reputable mock drafts: 

DJ has him going at 29 

Dane Brugler has him going at 20 

McShay has him going at 25 

Kiper has him at 24

Matt Miller has him at 31

I don't know who else to add - but good shot we get him at 23 - but unlikely at 34

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The question for me is, if Humphrey is there at 23, which one do we take? You could make an argument that we should take Humphrey, move McGovern to guard, and then take a guy like Wyatt Davis at 34. That gives you the opportunity to upgrade all 3 interior line spots with two draft picks. 

I think the odds of BOTH Creed and Teven being available at 23 are very, very low.

But when you look at the NFL today, many top Centers and RTs are taken in the middle/bottom of the first round.  Some good Gs get taken in the first, many taken third round and below.  The Gs taken in the first are not necessarily better than the Gs taken in the third.

So, if I were JD, I would be looking at one of Creed or Teven at 23 to go with the QB at 2, then take best available position of need at 34, and then look for another G in the third.

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Wilson, Jenkins and then a CB like Samuel at #34 would be pretty much ideal with our first 3 picks.

Draft an interior OL like Kendrick Green, Drake Jackson, Quinn Meinerz, etc in the 3rd.

I agree and then you begin to realize that wr won’t be addressed until round 3 most likely, unless somehow they get a 2nd for darnold.  Assuming they get a 3 for darnold though, they’d have 3 3rd rounders.  And assuming they took wilson/OL/cb, those 3 3rd rounders would probably address wr and OL again.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if Jenkins will be there at 23 but I DO know that JD is both willing to move up to get 'his' guy and move down to add draft picks if 'his' guy is not there. Its also been 'reported' that the Steelers really like Teven Jenkins- they pick 24th. If JD really likes him, don't be surprised if he has a trade up scenario set up so the Steelers don't hop the Jets to snag him. If not and the Steelers DO snag him, don't be surprised to see JD move down a few spots to net an extra draft pick or two. 

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

Both. I'd say he'd start at guard and could eventually move outside to RT.

If they draft him & put him at G, and he's crushing it even as a rookie, then leave him there.

If Fant is still underwhelming, then next year go shopping for or draft a RT to replace him instead. I wouldn't move Jenkins, put that position at least somewhat in question, and now you have to fill his G spot (hey now) with another potential question mark. 

If he outplays Fant at RT this summer - if he's even given the opportunity to compete, of course - then fine. But finding a top-notch RT isn't some objectively higher priority than G. In terms of voting with their wallets, most teams would disagree with that.

If we find excellence at a priority+need position, don't **** with it just to trade one hole for another.

The Steelers are showing alot of interest in him at 24. They couldn't run the ball last year and I think thats the latest he goes. 

We take him at 23 or hes gone. This kid and Becton would be absolute nasty bookends that set the tone for this team. Would be so pumped if he's the pick. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Why do people insist on fixing every area of the defense with high picks before going offense? I don't get. We are drafting Wilson, the only focus after that is protect Wilson and give him weapons. Everything else can wait. 

Yeah. That’s not going to happen. Look at JD’s first draft. He’s building a football team, both sides of the ball. Looking at our current depth chart, anyone expecting us to draft all offense is setting themselves up for disappointment. 

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

You have to take Humphrey. Solidify two positions with one pick. Especially after his pro day numbers. Which we're through the roof.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Yeah. That’s not going to happen. Look at JD’s first draft. He’s building a football team, both sides of the ball. Looking at our current depth chart, anyone expecting us to draft all offense is setting themselves up for disappointment. 

Probably. But the Jets should do a through review of how Sam was ruined and going defense 3 of the next 4 picks with the 1 being a receiving TE clearly was a bad move. What did Buffalo do when they got Allen? Loaded up on OL and playmakers

7 hours ago, PepPep said:

NY Jets showing 'a lot of interest' in Oklahoma State OT Teven Jenkins (thejetpress.com)

I know I've mentioned his name before and a lot of others have mentioned him as a potential target at 23 but now its looking like the Jets may actually be interested in Teven Jenkins, presumably as a target at #23. I would personally love to add him to the Jets O-line. 

Come Austin Powers GIF

Come to Daddy!

Would love him #34.  Wouldn't complain at #23 but that's really the kind of spot I'd hope we'd see a Vera-Tucker drop to if we're lucky.  Jenkins could likely start at RG on Day 1 and be the starting RT by next year.

A different opinion from the Huddle Report.

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=1708

Teven Jenkins OL/OG Oklahoma St

by Drew Boylhart • February 25, 2021

STRENGTHS
Teven is a big offensive lineman with long arms. His movement skills should allow him to be a good fit as a guard at the next level.

CONCERNS
Teven has had a lot of repetitions on the offensive line so to watch on film, at this point of his career, how out of NFL football shape he is, how sloppy his techniques are, how poor his balance is the quicker he tries to move his feet, how he lunges once he engages and stops moving his feet, is mind-boggling to me. He also holds on just about every play. He has a lot of work to do and the fact he opted out after a mysterious injury to work on the draft shows me that he knows he needs a lot of work. It reminds me of that kid who waits until the last minute to study for the test. That kid either fails or squeaks out, a passing grade, and is happy with that grade.

BOTTOM LINE 4.56
Well maybe, if Teven gets in better NFL shape all of his negatives will turn into positives. It’s possible…enough to be considered as a solid guard but, I’m not convinced at the next level he can play a tackle position. But that’s just me, I’m sure many others think differently. At least we know Teven’s agent thinks differently because right now as of this writing Teven is being considered as a possible 1st round pick by some people in the media. For me, I’d let someone else pick Teven and see where he is, physically and mentally at the end of his first contract. But like I said…that’s just me and you never know, if he works hard and gains strength and better techniques he does have the size to play a tackle position…you just never know. That being said as I stated before, I’d let someone else do all the work.

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Wilson, Jenkins and then a CB like Samuel at #34 would be pretty much ideal with our first 3 picks.

Draft an interior OL like Kendrick Green, Drake Jackson, Quinn Meinerz, etc in the 3rd.

Ideal isn’t the word I’d use to describe.

Wetdream is.

If we don't get Jenkins then I think guys like Liam Eichenberg (Notre Dame RT), Wyatt Davis (Ohio State OG), and Creed Humphrey (Oklahoma C) enter the conversation at #34.

If JD goes QB at #2 then one of his next two picks has to be OL.  Don't really care who, what (OG, RT, C) or where (23, 34) but need to hit OL in the first 34 picks.

• Upvote 2

I am drafting for the Jets in a mock draft on another board. I took Wilson at #2, then Jenkins at #23 and Humphrey at #34. I probably would have taken a CB at either of the last two picks but my preferred option got snapped up a pick before mine.

I think the biggest concern I have with Jenkins is that I'm not sure he is a fit for the blocking scheme LaFleur will want to run. Jenkins doesn't seem to be cut out for the zone blocking scheme. 

Having said that, if the Jets want to upgrade the offensive line, I would be taking Jenkins there. I have seen some mocks (cough, cough, McShay) who give us Etienne. God no.