A true game changer: plant based diet

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

@Bronx

Please provide more details I am possibly interested. 

I have a lot of inflammation from various surgeries and need to lose 20lbs. 

Thanks 

Disclaimer: I am not a professional dietitian and will strongly encourage to visit one.

I have been taking this dietary supplement. The Green Vibrance has a strong taste hence there are other flavors with the same benefits (I prefer greens). You can purchase these at Amazon and Sprouts. 

I strongly advice that you cut off all animal protein and go green! I can't tell you my energy level and muscle.recovery. I don't just show up to the gym, it is a high density, non-stop circuit training. The "regulars" at the gym always ask how I do it, all I can say is eat green because it will change your life.

Watch The Game Changers.on Netflix partner, it is extremely.educational. 

Please see the attached photo

image.thumb.png.d3312e3e658bcbf1da83ec1fa8c9659c.pngimage.thumb.png.1ea7c9c7f009fc8e01b0d6e2bb9b20b8.png

• Upvote 1

Do you eat the plant based products on the market like the plant based burgers etc to fulfill the taste and urge for say hamburger. 

My daughter eats vegetable burgers and has been trying to get me to try them for years. 

I need to lose 20lbs and whatever else to do to lower the inflammation in my body and take some pressure off my replaced hip and surgically repaired back. 

Thanks and wish you the best in this venture sounds like it's working. 

36 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Do you eat the plant based products on the market like the plant based burgers etc to fulfill the taste and urge for say hamburger. 

My daughter eats vegetable burgers and has been trying to get me to try them for years. 

I need to lose 20lbs and whatever else to do to lower the inflammation in my body and take some pressure off my replaced hip and surgically repaired back. 

These are some options and they are delicious.

IMG_20210329_154457090~2.jpg

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

I want to share my testimony of my current plant based diet. There is a documentary called The Game Changers on Netflix and I can honestly tell you, it is 100% true.

I am a 50 year old combat vet that have  sustained multiple injuries throughout my career. i have been a meat eater my entire life, including eating raw meat and some foreign cuisines unknown in the Western Civilization. I was caught in the myth of higher quality protein from animal base. 

Meat protein contains inflammatory molecules that changes our microbiotics with bacterial species that promotes inflammation (TMAO). Also, animal.protein contains HEME iron which cause cardiovascular failure.

Our line blood vessels or endothelium activity is impacted by our diet. This is extremely important for muscle recovery and enhancement. This process is drastically impacted by our diet. On a meat diet, the line is reduced while on a plant based diet is expanded. 

I can go on this topic from notes that I took from this documentary. As far as my testimony, I feel that I am in my best shape of my life. I had a torn shoulder which has nagged me for years; but ever since I started the plant based diet, my inflammation and pain has decreased to the point of non-existent. My energy level is off the roof! I got the gym 2 hours, 6.times a well. I swim 3 times a week, speed.walk 18 miles a week and go extreme hiking once a week.

I only want to share this testimony, because my current plant based diet had been a true changer. You still have time folks to educate yourself and.become a faster, leaner, stronger and super.enegetic person! 

Good for you dude. That’s a great story and thanks for sharing.  Plus. More meat for me! 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Game Changers is interesting but also purports some dumb nonsense. Arguing that Nate beat Conor because he's vegan (spoiler, he isn't). **** outta here. 

To contrast your opinion, Conor beat himself with poor dieting.

29 minutes ago, Bronx said:

To contrast your opinion, Conor beat himself with poor dieting.

So Conor shot a double leg because he ate a panini? Nate beat Conor because he’s a g, a horrible matchup for Conor, and because while Conor is a fantastic fighter he’s not the invincible force that casual fight fans think he is. Ditto for their rematch which (I am biased as hell on this) Nate absolutely won.

42 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So Conor shot a double leg because he ate a panini? Nate beat Conor because he’s a g, a horrible matchup for Conor, and because while Conor is a fantastic fighter he’s not the invincible force that casual fight fans think he is. Ditto for their rematch which (I am biased as hell on this) Nate absolutely won.

Tony Gonzalez credits a vegan diet with extending his career several years

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

It's more complicated than just avoiding meat,  I know plenty of unhealthy lethargic vegans. Becoming a vegan and existing on french fries, TVP fake hambiurgers with vegan cheese and oreas is not a healthy diet.

Just like doing keto and eating all bacon and cheese like crusher, although you will lose a ton of weight..

At the end of the day it's really finding the commonality in most "healthy diets", be they vegan, mediterranean, keto , etc.. it's about a whole food diet loaded with veggies and a fair amount of healthy fats. Avoid processed foods we didn't evolve to eat. Also, try and limit hormones and other nasty stuff that makes it way into the food supply via factory farming by buying organic or grass fed when possible.

If you are interested in optimum health look into Dr Fuhrman's nutriarian diet, his health formula, health = nutrients / calories (H=  N/C,) emphasizes nutritional density as the optimal diet. The argument is sound and it's good framework with which to base your own diet around, though probably a tad less restrictive to allow you to stick with it. The best diet is one you can maintain

https://www.drfuhrman.com/blog/88/nutrient-density

His book eat to live is a very good read, and while he does strongly advocate for a vegan diet he does allow for lean meats and fish

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Nice! I cut out meat the summer after I completed undergrad - around July 2008. Haven’t eaten had any meat products voluntarily since. I say voluntary because random examples of involuntary continue to come up, and it is what it is, but I do my best to try to avoid them. Such as the time in Paris on our honeymoon when a “vegetarian” soup on the menu tasted funny and upon asking the waiter, was confirmed chicken stock. Or when the cornbread we had in Charleston was later found out to be made with pork lard. Or when we had to send back the crispy Brussels Sprouts in Austin cuz after a few bites we realized there were bacon bits in them which weren’t listed on the menu. Or when we enjoyed the hell out of drunken noodles at this little Thai place in Greenwich for years before someone told us that we should ask whether there was fish oil or oyster sauce in it. Of course, there was.

Anyway, I say all of this because I fully agree with the opening premise: if done right, a plant based diet can do wonders for the human body.

• Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, CTM said:

It's more complicated than just avoiding meat,  I know plenty of unhealthy lethargic vegans. Becoming a vegan and existing on french fries, TVP fake hambiurgers with vegan cheese and oreas is not a healthy diet.

Yes. This is exactly why I said in my post above: if done right.

My parents are originally from a part in India which has sustained a mostly vegetarian diet for centuries. It’s also a part of the world that is rife with diabetes, renal failure and sodium driven hypertension.

I’ve seen it all my life: being vegetarian or vegan =/= healthy unless done right.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I’m not a vegetarian but there’s no reason at all to eat meat with every meal.  

I have eaten all kinds of meats throughout my life. The hardest and toughest obstacle is changing the mindset. Also, educating yourself and understanding the difference between animal vs plant protein. 

I attached a pic of today's RHR (resting heart rate), which has decreased drastically. 

IMG_20210403_041711900~2.jpg

• Sympathy 1

Didn't see this thread.  Thanks Bronx for posting.

I got my first physical in 2 years because of Covid.  For my age I'm in very good shape.  Work out 6 to 7 days a week including an hour of aerobic exercise pretty much everyday.  Resting heart rate around 50 blood pressure 110 over 50.  I had an EKG that changed and indicated electrical blockage.  It's pretty low level but it did scare me.  Since Covid even with exercise I've put on about 10 pounds.  Way more sugar, animal fat and carbs in my diet.  FYI the average American has put on about 23 pounds during Covid.  

Not ready to go on a strict plant based diet but I'm going on a Mediterranean diet reducing meat  protein to almost nothing and reducing sugar and carbs.  Lost 4 pounds in about a week.  Feeling like I have some control over my blood chemistry.  

Bronx is definitely on the right track.  Obesity and cancer along with diabetes are killers.  We can't control what we can't control but we can impact our blood chemistry and help our organs operate at maximum efficiency.  Diet and exercise are proven to benefit your quality of life even for people with diseases that are chronic and terminal.  

For all the fat F***s on Jet Nation talk a walk and eat a salad.  If we ever want to see a SB again we're going to have to stick around for long time...

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Game Changers is interesting but also purports some dumb nonsense. Arguing that Nate beat Conor because he's vegan (spoiler, he isn't). **** outta here. 

There are also numerous athletes who went plant based and had their performance greatly suffer.

If you go from eating fast food fried chicken to all plant based, yes, you will feel better.  You better have a plan to get proper fats and proteins into your body, as well as getting minerals that you normally get from eating meat off the bone.

It’s not binary. You can eat for nutrient density, without going all vegan. Too many people look at this as black/white. 

Many great frameworks out there to follow:

Whole30 - basically a crash diet model, form around nutritarian principles

Eat to Live - Joel Fuhrman’s complete re-think on healthy eating, pushes for vegan gif max results/change, but easy to follow at about 80% and still include meat. @CTM introduced me to this several years ago and it’s great.

Prescription: Nutrution - a documentary series in hbomax

Forks over knives - Netflix documentary that encapsulates the same research and conclusions as Fuhrman.

Ive also seen game changers. It’s good. 

A lot of meat eaters take this content as an attack on them or their choices. It’s stupid. It’s just information. Weigh it as such. Good content. Good research. Good recommendations. 

Do what works best for you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

41 minutes ago, chirorob said:

There are also numerous athletes who went plant based and had their performance greatly suffer.

If you go from eating fast food fried chicken to all plant based, yes, you will feel better.  You better have a plan to get proper fats and proteins into your body, as well as getting minerals that you normally get from eating meat off the bone.

This. 

It’s not just meat vs. no meat. You can do that by eating Oreos. Doesn’t = healthy.

I personally get about half my protein from plants. The fiber helps me. Nuts, nut milk, legumes, and for smoothies pea protein-it has good bio-availability, it’s cheap, and I’m lactose intolerant. I also use egg protein as a supplement. This also helps me get good fats from food, in addition to my intake of healthy oils.

The other half comes from meat, whole eggs, Greek yogurt (digests easier than other dairy) and a little bit of cheese.

My carbs are where I go off the rails. I can do 80% fruits and veggies, but then over-index on pasta or grains or junk food. I have a soft spot for cookies... it’s called my whole body.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, CTM said:

Just like doing keto and eating all bacon and cheese like crusher, although you will lose a ton of weight..

At the end of the day it's really finding the commonality in most "healthy diets", be they vegan, mediterranean, keto , etc.. it's about a whole food diet loaded with veggies and a fair amount of healthy fats. Avoid processed foods we didn't evolve to eat. Also, try and limit hormones and other nasty stuff that makes it way into the food supply via factory farming by buying organic or grass fed when possible.

If you are interested in optimum health look into Dr Fuhrman's nutriarian diet, his health formula, health = nutrients / calories (H=  N/C,) emphasizes nutritional density as the optimal diet. The argument is sound and it's good framework with which to base your own diet around, though probably a tad less restrictive to allow you to stick with it. The best diet is one you can maintain

https://www.drfuhrman.com/blog/88/nutrient-density

His book eat to live is a very good read, and while he does strongly advocate for a vegan diet he does allow for lean meats and fish

Haha, I missed this. Love it,  you creep.

20 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

@Bronx

Please provide more details I am possibly interested. 

I have a lot of inflammation from various surgeries and need to lose 20lbs. 

Thanks 

@joewilly12 take a look at ctm and my posts. Also, there are anti-inflammatory diets out there. My wife dabbles in this, I wish I could tell you more. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I mean, the way Alex Jones preys upon his loyal fans is disgusting enough where I’d believe anything.

I'm pretty sure he markets supplements, i just don't know if Brookyln was serious.

A lot of this sh*t is just white label stuff no different than what everyone else sells. The marketing hyperbole is mostly what changes. You or I could start a supplement company tomorrow. There's a ton of social media personalities marketing this stuff though, the latest is something called V-Shred who is being dragged by the online gurus but making a fortune nonetheless

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CTM said:

I'm pretty sure he markets supplements, i just don't know if Brookyln was serious.

A lot of this sh*t is just white label stuff no different than what everyone else sells. The marketing hyperbole is mostly what changes. You or I could start a supplement company tomorrow. There's a ton of social media personalities marketing this stuff though, the latest is something called V-Shred who is being dragged by the online gurus but making a fortune nonetheless

No, I doubt Brooklyn was serious. I was questioning the product existing. Bonkers.

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This. 

It’s not just meat vs. no meat. You can do that by eating Oreos. Doesn’t = healthy.

I personally get about half my protein from plants. The fiber helps me. Nuts, nut milk, legumes, and for smoothies pea protein-it has good bio-availability, it’s cheap, and I’m lactose intolerant. I also use egg protein as a supplement. This also helps me get good fats from food, in addition to my intake of healthy oils.

The other half comes from meat, whole eggs, Greek yogurt (digests easier than other dairy) and a little bit of cheese.

My carbs are where I go off the rails. I can do 80% fruits and veggies, but then over-index on pasta or grains or junk food. I have a soft spot for cookies... it’s called my whole body.

So, I used to do nutrition in my office, and now my wife is a full time nutritional therapist.

It is very much person by person deal.   I do not tolerate legumes well, so peanuts, cashews, things like that really inflame me, literally I lose a belt size in abdominal swelling.  One of my favorite things to recommend is get a DNA blood test.   It's not expensive, and it will show what you can and can't handle, as well as a ton of other factors.

The genetic stuff is really interesting.  I don't store Vit D, at all, hence it is always super low in blood work.  Now, I know why, and I supplement.  My body holds Vitamin C extremely well, I don't need that.  I process caffeine well, so it doesn't hit me as hard.

There is also a huge difference between Walmart beef, grass Fed beef, and grass fed, grass finished beef, especially as it pertains to inflammation.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This. 

I eat 1,000 calories alone a day with unsalted cashews, almonds, pistachios and cranberries. A great alternative for milk is.the 30 calories unsweetened almond milk. . I have kept the same weight for a year with high intensity training.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, chirorob said:

There is also a huge difference between Walmart beef, grass Fed beef, and grass fed, grass finished beef, especially as it pertains to inflammation

Please look up HEME protein that comes from all animals.