A true game changer: plant based diet

24 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I eat 1,000 calories alone a day with unsalted cashews, almonds, pistachios and cranberries. A great alternative for milk is.the 30 calories unsweetened almond milk. . I have kept the same weight for a year with high intensity training.

Yes, that would literally have me sh*tting constantly.

As for milk, I use it to make waffles once a month with the kids, and about a tablespoon in my coffee. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Yes, that would literally have me sh*tting constantly.

Which is a good thing. Keeping your colon and intestines clean will help the detox process and boost your health. Speaking of poop, @SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN posted a song about everyone poops, which I consider a fun but informative topic.

• WTF? 1

11 hours ago, CTM said:

It's more complicated than just avoiding meat,  I know plenty of unhealthy lethargic vegans. Becoming a vegan and existing on french fries, TVP fake hambiurgers with vegan cheese and oreas is not a healthy diet.

Just like doing keto and eating all bacon and cheese like crusher, although you will lose a ton of weight..

At the end of the day it's really finding the commonality in most "healthy diets", be they vegan, mediterranean, keto , etc.. it's about a whole food diet loaded with veggies and a fair amount of healthy fats. Avoid processed foods we didn't evolve to eat. Also, try and limit hormones and other nasty stuff that makes it way into the food supply via factory farming by buying organic or grass fed when possible.

If you are interested in optimum health look into Dr Fuhrman's nutriarian diet, his health formula, health = nutrients / calories (H=  N/C,) emphasizes nutritional density as the optimal diet. The argument is sound and it's good framework with which to base your own diet around, though probably a tad less restrictive to allow you to stick with it. The best diet is one you can maintain

https://www.drfuhrman.com/blog/88/nutrient-density

His book eat to live is a very good read, and while he does strongly advocate for a vegan diet he does allow for lean meats and fish

Thanks for your input. I will definitely look into Dr. Furham's study.

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

FYI the average American has put on about 23 pounds during Covid

I recently moved to my home of record, Puerto Rico. I am sure that our people has gained above this threshold. It is extremely difficult to find vegan food at a affordable price. Also, people in general are accustomed to the myth of protein quality from animals. Also, ignoring the facts of simple sugars and saturated/trans fat intake. 

I personally have heard most people redirecting their with gain towards the COVID. I have lost 35 pounds during the pandemic, it is all about choices.

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

I eat 1,000 calories alone a day with unsalted cashews, almonds, pistachios and cranberries. A great alternative for milk is.the 30 calories unsweetened almond milk. . I have kept the same weight for a year with high intensity training.

Yup, that’s the almond milk I like - but I did recently discover cashew protein nut milk, it’s thick and smooth, but higher cal

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yup, that’s the almond milk I like - but I did recently discover cashew protein nut milk, it’s thick and smooth, but higher cal

Definetely worth trying! However, it is almost impossible to buy this product in the local market here, except and maybe the metropolitan area. One of the downside of being on a tropical island.

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

There are also numerous athletes who went plant based and had their performance greatly suffer.

If you go from eating fast food fried chicken to all plant based, yes, you will feel better.  You better have a plan to get proper fats and proteins into your body, as well as getting minerals that you normally get from eating meat off the bone.

It is definitely entertaining to watch people go from no exercise and fast food to being a vegetarian, start exercising and getting healthier, and then blame their past health issues on the grand concept of eating meat. 

Also Beyond Burgers are hoooooorrible for you.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

So, I used to do nutrition in my office, and now my wife is a full time nutritional therapist.

It is very much person by person deal.   I do not tolerate legumes well, so peanuts, cashews, things like that really inflame me, literally I lose a belt size in abdominal swelling.  One of my favorite things to recommend is get a DNA blood test.   It's not expensive, and it will show what you can and can't handle, as well as a ton of other factors.

The genetic stuff is really interesting.  I don't store Vit D, at all, hence it is always super low in blood work.  Now, I know why, and I supplement.  My body holds Vitamin C extremely well, I don't need that.  I process caffeine well, so it doesn't hit me as hard.

There is also a huge difference between Walmart beef, grass Fed beef, and grass fed, grass finished beef, especially as it pertains to inflammation.

Me too on the Vitamin D. Cant hold it. You would think being fat soluble I would own it! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

A friend of mine I no longer talk to and tried to kill twice told me about the benefits of intermittent fasting, 

Been doing it for 5-6 years now. It's hard to fathom there used to be a time when I would force feed myself first thing out of bed and then feel like sh*t for the next several hours. In an ideal week I stop eating around 10-10:30 and then get to sip coffee and work throughout the AM, then train around 2-3 pm, then finally start eating after that. Funnily enough first meal is usually breakfast food.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I weep for humanity. #apes4eva

You have to know how to chew the meat and spit out the bones. Alex covers things that are happening, I don't agree with all of his beliefs and conjecture, but the subject material is real. I take vitamin, mineral and other supplements and his products happen to be very good.

As far as my diet, I have been doing a keto style diet for about 3 years. During the week I make a green based drink for breakfast, I add a tables spoon of organic coconut oil for fat. I do a protein based drink for lunch with added MCT for fat. I take a few snacks with me to work to hold me over till supper, ie a keto bar, nuts, nut butter, a grass fed meat stick. For dinner I make a salad with avocado, olives and a avocado oil based dressing, vegetables, ghee, and beef, chicken or fish. I get grass fed, grass finished beef, pasture raised chicken, pork and wild caught salmon delivered. On the weekend I'll make bacon, eggs and sausage for breakfast and may have some cold cuts for lunch, if eat cheese I get grass fed and I buy mostly organic. I usually fast for at least 12 hours a day.

3 hours ago, Bronx said:

Definetely worth trying! However, it is almost impossible to buy this product in the local market here, except and maybe the metropolitan area. One of the downside of being on a tropical island.

That sucks, but in the grand scheme of things... tropical island.

You should try making cashew milk. It doesn't require any straining of pulp. I sometimes just throw a handful of cashews, water, and pea protein in the blender with fruit... and it's pretty great.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

You have to know how to chew the meat and spit out the bones. Alex covers things that are happening, I don't agree with all of his beliefs and conjecture, but the subject material is real. I take vitamin, mineral and other supplements and his products happen to be very good.

As far as my diet, I have been doing a keto style diet for about 3 years. During the week I make a green based drink for breakfast, I add a tables spoon of organic coconut oil for fat. I do a protein based drink for lunch with added MCT for fat. I take a few snacks with me to work to hold me over till supper, ie a keto bar, nuts, nut butter, a grass fed meat stick. For dinner I make a salad with avocado, olives and a avocado oil based dressing, vegetables, ghee, and beef, chicken or fish. I get grass fed, grass finished beef, pasture raised chicken, pork and wild caught salmon delivered. On the weekend I'll make bacon, eggs and sausage for breakfast and may have some cold cuts for lunch, if eat cheese I get grass fed and I buy mostly organic. I usually fast for at least 12 hours a day.

lol, okay

we don't need to get into this, jn isn't the place for it

19 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

That sucks, but in the grand scheme of things... tropical island.

You should try making cashew milk. It doesn't require any straining of pulp. I sometimes just throw a handful of cashews, water, and pea protein in the blender with fruit... and it's pretty great.

109% sold!!! Ty

On 4/2/2021 at 2:24 PM, Bronx said:

Disclaimer: I am not a professional dietitian and will strongly encourage to visit one.

I have been taking this dietary supplement. The Green Vibrance has a strong taste hence there are other flavors with the same benefits (I prefer greens). You can purchase these at Amazon and Sprouts. 

I strongly advice that you cut off all animal protein and go green! I can't tell you my energy level and muscle.recovery. I don't just show up to the gym, it is a high density, non-stop circuit training. The "regulars" at the gym always ask how I do it, all I can say is eat green because it will change your life.

Watch The Game Changers.on Netflix partner, it is extremely.educational. 

Please see the attached photo

image.thumb.png.d3312e3e658bcbf1da83ec1fa8c9659c.pngimage.thumb.png.1ea7c9c7f009fc8e01b0d6e2bb9b20b8.png

HighKey makes a plant based protein cereal, it's expensive but it's good. I have it with almond milk on the weekends.

https://highkey.com/collections/breakfast

• Upvote 1

First of all.  everyone involved in this thread needs to hope Crusher doesn't find it or mass bannings will ensue.  He does not tolerate this type of talk.  I'll do what I can to distract him with a bacon-lovers' thread.

I am a complete omnivore.  But I did read something around 20 years ago that stuck with me - a bright orange book called 'Abs Diet'.  It was a nutrition book that didn't preach, didn't set any absolutes, but just gave objective facts (as objective as any source can be I suppose) about the science.  The conclusion of the whole thing:  

Eat Less - Mostly Plants

I happen to like fruits/nuts/berries/vegetables a lot so it wasn't really much of a change for me.  I probably have red meat once a week on average, and poultry maybe twice and seafood maybe twice.  Nothing to excess, diverse diet to cover lots of bases.  All I can say is it works for me.  I'm in far better shape than most men my age and I feel pretty good except Sundays around 3-4pm in the fall and winter when I seem to have an upset stomach.  Sometimes it's a bit later in the evening.  Weirdly regular...I'll have to figure that out some day.

Anyway, I always found the bolded advice above a good guideline for those who aren't fully vegetarian.  Flip one or two red meat meals per week into something else as a start.  Not a drastic change, but a gradual one.  See if that makes a difference.  If it does, evaluate moving a little more in that direction.  No pressure to do it all at once.  If you spent decades establishing habits, you don't need to change it all in a day (unless your doctor tells you to for an urgent reason).

Few random tips.  I used to hate meatless burgers.  Until I tried an Impossible Burger.  Those people have done dark magic but I don't care.  Those are the closest to real burgers I've found and I actually prefer them sometimes (like in a Bare Burger).

For protein, since I'm not vegan, I have a few go to foods.  Ricotta cheese.  Some mornings when I'm in a rush, I can just grab a tablespoon or two of fresh (that's critical) ricotta and it's almost a meal.  Mix in almost anything.  I mix it with yogurt sometimes,  and add in berries or seeds.  Whey is a really good food source for many reasons you should look up.  Works for me.

Last one in the mold of gradual change.  I weaned myself down to far less sugar a long time ago by doing little things.  Example, no more than one small teaspoon of sugar in my coffee.  I never thought about it until I watched my wife slap two tsps of sugar in her cup every time.  A few years back she broke her ankle so I brought her coffee and I slowly lowered the sugar over a few weeks.  She noticed and grumbled but didn't really have much choice.  By the time she was back on her feet, she got used to it and is a 1 teaspoon girl now.  There are a dozen ways you can approach change like this.  Lots of little changes are just as good, if not better, than a few drastic ones.  And much easier to achieve.  

That's what I've got.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of sugar.  Is was at a weekend cancer seminar held by the Mayo Clinic a few summers ago.  They were adamant that sugar substitutes or for you children of the 60's artificial sweetener is way better for you than white or brown sugar.  They have no data on it being carcinogenic and they think the data on sugar is really bad.  So if you can't have your coffee or cereal without sugar you're probably better off substituting stevia or some substitute.  It's probably pretty benign.  Sugar probably isn't.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Speaking of sugar.  Is was at a weekend cancer seminar held by the Mayo Clinic a few summers ago.  They were adamant that sugar substitutes or for you children of the 60's artificial sweetener is way better for you than white or brown sugar.  They have no data on it being carcinogenic and they think the data on sugar is really bad.  So if you can't have your coffee or cereal without sugar you're probably better off substituting stevia or some substitute.  It's probably pretty benign.  Sugar probably isn't.  

I don't use sugar and eat very low carb, so I don't crave it but organic cane sugar is much healthier than processed sugar and about 20 points lower on the glycemic index. There are allot of alternative sweeteners that are no carb like stevia, monk fruit, allulose, xylitol and other sugar alcohols.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

One other thing.  While I haven't become a veg, I'm absolutely disgusted at how animals that are part of our processed food chain are treated.  It's a national disgrace.  

I get my meat delivered by Moink (www.moinkbox.com) and love it. It's a great service that delivers ethically sourced and humanely raised meat straight to your door step. When you sign up, use this link. You'll get $20 off your first delivery since I referred you:

https://www.moinkbox.com/sand222792eb

My wife fears for my overall health if I start one of these diets.  

At this moment I don't need anymore health issues. 

Im going to try hard to eat healthier and lay off all the junk. 

For me it all starts at the grocery store I buy way too much garbage. 

Giving up bread and cakes/cookies is my first step. 

Im still very interested in these diets posted and have not ruled out the possibility of trying one in the near future.