GIVE ME JUSTIN FIELDS!!!...... OR ZACH WILSON!! :-)

I was just reflecting on everything going on this week with the two pro days by Wilson and Fields and folks barracading themselves in their respective camps and I came to the realization that we are in the best position I can ever remember us being in when it comes to the draft.  We actually have the number 2 pick and have our choice between two very, very talented quarterback prospects.  Both of whom have the ability to become franchise quarterbacks in my opinion.  In other words we really can't go wrong with either player. 

However, after spending these last few months moving in the direction of Wilson, I have decided that if it was my choice, I would go with Fields.  The main deciding factor is the grit he showed in the Clemson game, playing injured and also that 4.4 speed he displayed.   Wilson still has the edge in playmaking but Fields is no slouch in that area.   Both quarterbacks have areas to improve in and I can only hope that the CS help them develop.   Both of them have great arms and while Wilson has a quicker release, it is not like Fields as a long wind up.   I also think the crits on his progressions are somewhat over blown.  I do wish to see him do a better job of throwing receivers open but I don't think he needed to do that in the Ohio State offense; it doesn't mean he is incapable of doing it. 

Wilson just seems tailor made for the 49ers.   I really do hope the 9ers call JD and make an offer to trade positions; it would be a true win win in my opinion.   As of now, most of us seem to be resigned to the fact that Wilson will be the pick but JD could surprise us all.  If he does, I would be very excited to see Fields in Jet uni!  If not, I will become a card carrying member of the "Zach Pack"!  ;-)

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I was in favor of Fields initially but after watching more tape on Wilson, I feel Wilson is what we need.  He has charisma and I like his motor, his mechanics, the speed in which he delivers the ball and attitude.  Fields always looks stressed or ticked off.  That's the way Sam always looked.  I am ready for a fresh start.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, QB1 said:

You realize we are running the 49ers offense right 

yes I do. I am thinking more from the aspect of another BYU quarterback in the mold of Steve Young (not as much as a runner though).  He is a west coast kid so it just seem natural for the Niners.    

This is all.....

image.png

Ignoring the comments above, one thing that jumps out is the fact Fields played agaisnt the toughest competition of any QB in College football and it wasn’t close!

Fields did this while putting up better  numbers  than any other QB in college football other than Lawrence

And now people are saying that this somehow all doesn’t matter!!

OK —- right!! 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, adobolo2 said:

Is there a PFF grade for the average length of time each of these QBs had in the pocket? I looked it up but couldn't find one, just to compare how long they had to go trough their reads.

D71EB4E4-46A1-48C6-ACD0-E5442C33BA62.thumb.jpeg.1f93ea09e28dea0df9c4e50ddc793687.jpeg

Here’s a full list:

49AAFED1-7B4F-4F9D-AB40-BE04C0BB7213.jpeg.f1ea4ac36c6ba4f592486c9743587a15.jpeg

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is all.....

image.png

Ignoring the comments above, one thing that jumps out is the fact Fields played agaisnt the toughest competition of any QB in College football and it wasn’t close!

Fields did this while putting up better  numbers  than any other QB in college football other than Lawrence

And now people are saying that this somehow all doesn’t matter!!

OK —- right!! 

Yeah but you’re forgetting that Fields is fast and physical, that is not ok for a QB.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Bronx said:

I think Fields is the dark horse. Wilson has the talent but my gut feeling is that he will be injured often. 

Why? He was injured no more than Fields was who suffered a damaged hand this season which really effected his play.  Where is the injury prone thing coming from?  He is bigger than Drew Brees, Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray and just about the same size as Aaron Rodgers.  I am really trying to understand why so many think he is injury prone. 

My injury concerns with all of these prospects is they tend to put their bodies on the line too much for my liking. I'd rather a scramble and get out of bounds or slide.  It nice to see the toughness to take on a LB's, but I'd prefer them to avoid the contact.

20 hours ago, adobolo2 said:

Is there a PFF grade for the average length of time each of these QBs had in the pocket? I looked it up but couldn't find one, just to compare how long they had to go trough their reads.

Not sure I found any meaningful stats but it was noted Wilson's pocket time was clocked using a sundial . 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Why? He was injured no more than Fields was who suffered a damaged hand this season which really effected his play.  Where is the injury prone thing coming from?  He is bigger than Drew Brees, Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray and just about the same size as Aaron Rodgers.  I am really trying to understand why so many think he is injury prone. 

Brees also earlier in his career blew out his throwing shoulder in a pro bowl game I saw, and it never affected him going forward.

• Upvote 1