Who do you think will emerge as WR #1?

M

Using your parameters and grading system, I'm not shocked by your ranking us at the bottom of the AFC.  I'm thinking off the top of my head Jax, Cincy, Houston, Bal and probably more are worse
Currently . . There is NO ... no1 on the team

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't get caught up in the #1 and #2 stuff.  I think both players will be very productive in the run and pass game.  I think when we reflect on the 2021 season, we'll be happy with where our WR grou

Marshall/Decker and prior to that the trio of Braylon/Holmes and Cotch, and before that Keyshawn/Chrebet, and Toon/Walker. It seems like every winning era for the Jets has had good WR tandems.  W

You have no idea who he did it against, none of us do, your just throwing it out there as fact.  DBs dont float back and forth covering 1's or 2's unless theyre named Revis.  They play one side of the

31 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

M

Currently . . There is NO ... no1 on the team

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Having no one who has been a true #1 up to now has absolutely nothing to do with the point that theyre not the worst group in the AFC

The need to designate someone as #1 is overblown

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Why won't you talk about Cole? Because you didn't know what you were talking about, perhaps?

Because from what I have seen and read, he is Perriman  lite. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

How come Davis, having almost identical numbers to Brown, it was Davis who benefited by having Brown next to him and not the other way around?  

Look, if you think Davis was the guy that should still be on TN instead of Brown, I don't  know what to tell you. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Look, if you think Davis was the guy that should still be on TN instead of Brown, I don't  know what to tell you. 

Theres this thing called the salary cap right?

Which one was due a pay day?  Which one was already under contract?

Think that may have come into play?  I do.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Theres this thing called the salary cap right?

Which one was due a pay day?  Which one was already under contract?

Think that may have come into play?  I do.  

No, you keep guys that are difference makers. Brown is a difference maker. 

The point was not who is better, the point  was is Davis going to be solid. His situation on the Jets doesn't not even remotely  resemble  TN.  The guy opposite him has done nothing and nobody is gameplaning to stop Coleman. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

No, you keep guys that are difference makers. Brown is a difference maker. 

The point was not who is better, the point  was is Davis going to be solid. His situation on the Jets doesn't not even remotely  resemble  TN.  The guy opposite him has done nothing and nobody is gameplaning to stop Coleman. 

So Browns 1,075 yards at 15.4 per, catching 66% of his targets is a difference maker.

Davis's 984 yards at 15.1 per, catching 70.7% of his targets isnt a difference maker. 

I'm trying hard to get how drastically different these two were last year.  

Whos joining up next to Brown in 2021?  Davis will have Mims, Cole and Crowder around him.  

• Upvote 2

In fairness, Jet Nut could be right.  Davis, Mims and Crowder could do well this year, in the new system, with a new QB.  Maybe Davis shows he is a legit #1, maybe Mims stays healthy and breaks out, and maybe Crowder, finally getting some help at WR #1 and #2, gets more opportunities in the slot.  It could happen.

But Nut doesn't KNOW they will.  And he's clearly in denial about what they have been in the past, the same exact way he was about Gase when he was hired, and we have a VERY similar debate to this one.  Back then Gase was a "great coach" who was instrumental to Manning, lol.  Now Davis is a solid #1 WR, and shhhh, don't mention Henry or Brown or that Davis's best year and only >900 yard season was his contract walk-year, thats as irrelevant now as the damage Gase did to Tannehill during his Miami tenure, lol.

Ultimately, some folks are homers who love every move before they're ever done a thing for us, and some folks are cynics who don't hype up guys before they prove it here.

Nut is a homer, he always thinks our moves are great and our new players will be great.  I'm a cynic, I doubt almost every move till the prove it here. 

He already thinks we're better at WR than many teams, I say "great, prove it.  Then I'll buy it."

Just two different ways of seeing the world.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Here is what I think. If we can stay healthy our WR group should be significantly better than last year. Will JD use a 1st or second day pick to upgrade it more? OL is more important but he might.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What does that have to do with Davis being a solid receiver.

As much as I would love Henry.  

Henry is one of those players that tips the field.  The defense has to account for him on almost every play.  That had to help Davis and others on the Titans offense.

I think our WR group is a bit underrated on this board, but I still want another WR drafted. I just think you can never have enough WRs. Especially when your team's WRs get hammys every f*cking year. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, peebag said:

Henry is one of those players that tips the field.  The defense has to account for him on almost every play.  That had to help Davis and others on the Titans offense.

But we’re talking Davis vs Brown.  Henry changes their whole offense.  That’s not the point.  Lots of RBs dominate and need to be accounted for and no one holds that against their WRs.  No one said AB is only good because of Bell.  

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Neither.  We'll have two #2's, presuming Mims takes a big step up and stays healthy.

There is no legit #1 on the roster at current.

You don’t know that about Mims, and I’m disappointed in your pessimism 

• Haha 1
Just now, Paradis said:

I’m gonna be depressing for a second. I didn’t love Mims and thought he was gonna be like a good version of N’keal Harry. I’m wavering and thinking he might just be a better version of N’keal Harry. 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So Browns 1,075 yards at 15.4 per, catching 66% of his targets is a difference maker.

Davis's 984 yards at 15.1 per, catching 70.7% of his targets isnt a difference maker. 

I'm trying hard to get how drastically different these two were last year.  

Whos joining up next to Brown in 2021?  Davis will have Mims, Cole and Crowder around him.  

If you think Brown and Davis were a 1A and 1B situation, you will be severely disappointed.

Brown was the Alpha in that offense. Brown took the #1 Role as a rookie when Davis was a top 5 draft pick.

3 minutes ago, HamBilly said:

If you think Brown and Davis were a 1A and 1B situation, you will be severely disappointed.

Brown was the Alpha in that offense. Brown took the #1 Role as a rookie when Davis was a top 5 draft pick.

Thats exactly what they were last year.

I dont care what they were before that

• Thumb Down 1

Davis is pretty perfect for Zach Wilson. He was definitely brought in with Wilson in mind. 

Davis’ strength is going and getting contested balls and one of Wilson’s best traits is throwing it perfectly to covered receivers where only they can get it, he gives them a great chance. 

Mims is a bit of a wildcard. We still don’t know what he is. Could be anything from DeAndre Hopkins to Justin McCareins. He is another guy though who should suit Wilson. It’s clearl that’s what we’re looking for.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

In fairness, Jet Nut could be right.  Davis, Mims and Crowder could do well this year, in the new system, with a new QB.  Maybe Davis shows he is a legit #1, maybe Mims stays healthy and breaks out, and maybe Crowder, finally getting some help at WR #1 and #2, gets more opportunities in the slot.  It could happen.

But Nut doesn't KNOW they will.  And he's clearly in denial about what they have been in the past, the same exact way he was about Gase when he was hired, and we have a VERY similar debate to this one.  Back then Gase was a "great coach" who was instrumental to Manning, lol.  Now Davis is a solid #1 WR, and shhhh, don't mention Henry or Brown or that Davis's best year and only >900 yard season was his contract walk-year, thats as irrelevant now as the damage Gase did to Tannehill during his Miami tenure, lol.

Ultimately, some folks are homers who love every move before they're ever done a thing for us, and some folks are cynics who don't hype up guys before they prove it here.

Nut is a homer, he always thinks our moves are great and our new players will be great.  I'm a cynic, I doubt almost every move till the prove it here. 

He already thinks we're better at WR than many teams, I say "great, prove it.  Then I'll buy it."

Just two different ways of seeing the world.  

I have no problem with "wait and see," which frankly must be said about every franchise before the year starts. The Jets improved their WR corps. They didn't become elite and they still need another WR in the draft and very likely a TE. So this is a work in progress. But I like the types of receivers they signed. They made good signings.

• Upvote 1
On 4/3/2021 at 10:46 AM, Embrace the Suck said:

Pitts after the Jets trade Darnold and the 23 to move up.

I've seen this a lot here... and it seems preposterous to me that anyone would take this trade.

Who would trade Pitts for Darnold and 23?   Seems so lopsided. 

Eye of the beholder... Jamal Adams... I guess it's possible.

On 4/3/2021 at 3:09 PM, Paradis said:

Don't be disappointed.. Mims could win us over in a heartbeat.

I don't watch college football, so all I know of Mims was the underwhelming 2020 covid-gase-hammy-samathon.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
2 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I've seen this a lot here... and it seems preposterous to me that anyone would take this trade.

Who would trade Pitts for Darnold and 23?   Seems so lopsided. 

Eye of the beholder... Jamal Adams... I guess it's possible.

Wasn't saying it seriously. Having said that I didn't expect two first for a SS either. They get a young QB that maybe they think they can fix and still stay in the first round. Not a bad deal if you have faith that Sam can be turned around.

• Upvote 1

Corey Davis is paid 8 figures and will attract CB1 attention. Whether that makes him WR1 like Mike Evans or Julio jones is up for debate. He will play the role of WR 1 

meanwhile Mims was last seen skipping leg day to pick up a French Bulldog puppy

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I think we basically can throw out Mims rookie season for a variety of reasons, starting with the nagging injuries, lack of prep, playing in Gase Offense, Sam Darnolds inability to fully use him as a weapon etc. (how many times did he get off to a good start in game, having 4-5 catches for 60-70 yards, and then never see the ball again the rest of the game...)

With a full offseason to heal his hammies and some on field reps, I expect big things from Mims, especially if Wilson or Fields are behind center.  Both throw great deep balls, and no one throws a better 50-50 ball in this draft then Wilson.   One thing is for sure, I certain that the coaching staff and the quarterback won't forget he is on the field and focus all attention on Crowder. 

Corey Davis to pick up where he left off last year but will probably see more attention directed his way, this should also benefit Mims.   However the sleeper here is Coles who may turn out to be a real steal.   This guy catches everything thrown his way.  In Coles, Mims and Davis, we may have potentially the best 50-50 receiving group in the league. 

Having said that, I thought it might be good to take a look back at just Mims brings to the table. 

• Upvote 1
On 4/3/2021 at 10:48 AM, More Cowbell said:

All I'm going to say about Davis is he benefited from having Brown opposite him and having the defense defend the run first. He isn't  going to have that on the Jets. Nobody is going to shift the D to Mims unless he takes a giant step this season. Davis will also draw the top DB on the Jets.

Crowder is a slot guy who is solid at that position so I guess I can give you that. 

Mims never had a game over 80 yards, never had a TD, and was never the focus of a game plan. I know Gase and Darnold shares blame but he had chance take a statement and didn't  exactly take advantage.  

Not even going to talk about Cole. Pure wild card

How do you take advantage IF THEY DON'T PASS YOU THE BALL?? Did you watch the games Mims played in?   I know I did and noticed the amount of plays Mims was running wide open and Darnold decided to go elsewhere with the ball.  I mean there were games when he didn't get a single target in THE SECOND HALF.   I remember games he had 50 plus yards early in the 3rd and they never went to him again.  

I am hoping the NEW OC and hopefully NEW quarterback seek to take advantage of Mims skills.  He has a full year in the NFL, hopefully is healthy and ready to showcase his abilities.   For anyone to conclude it is some how Mims fault he wasn't targeted more is just wrong. 

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

How do you take advantage IF THEY DON'T PASS YOU THE BALL?? Did you watch the games Mims played in?   I know I did and noticed the amount of plays Mims was running wide open and Darnold decided to go elsewhere with the ball.  I mean there were games when he didn't get a single target in THE SECOND HALF.   I remember games he had 50 plus yards early in the 3rd and they never went to him again.  

I am hoping the NEW OC and hopefully NEW quarterback seek to take advantage of Mims skills.  He has a full year in the NFL, hopefully is healthy and ready to showcase his abilities.   For anyone to conclude it is some how Mims fault he wasn't targeted more is just wrong. 

IMO, Mims did not do enough to earn his trust. Crowder obviously was Sam's fav. Mims wasn't.  Also, the plays were designed for Mims to be the first option which was where Sam was going. The whe O was a disaster and not featuring Mims was part of it but Mims had opportunities  to do more with the ball and he didn't.  You saw plays he was open and wasn't  targeted, I saw yards and points left on the field. 

26 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I hope you are right and Mims takes a Q-like jump in his 2nd year.

• Upvote 1
On 4/3/2021 at 2:25 PM, slimjasi said:

I think our WR group is a bit underrated on this board, but I still want another WR drafted. I just think you can never have enough WRs. Especially when your team's WRs get hammys every f*cking year. 

This is how I feel. I like what I saw from Mims and I think the Davis and Cole additions were very solid.

We don't have a true gamechanger which is why it's still worth grabbing guys -- WR is a position where the best players in the league often come after the first round (Davante Adams, Michael Thomas, Stefon Diggs, Allen Robinson, Adam Thielen, Tyreek Hill, Keenan Allen, Kenny Golladay, Chris Godwin, etc.)

Fliers on high upside guys in the 2-5th should be a regular occurrence. It's actually kind of amazing other teams get All-Pros in the 5th round and we get Chad Hansen and Shaq Evans. Hopefully the new regime has a better eye for WRs.

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

IMO, Mims did not do enough to earn his trust. Crowder obviously was Sam's fav. Mims wasn't.  Also, the plays were designed for Mims to be the first option which was where Sam was going. The whe O was a disaster and not featuring Mims was part of it but Mims had opportunities  to do more with the ball and he didn't.  You saw plays he was open and wasn't  targeted, I saw yards and points left on the field. 

So beating your man and getting open is not enough for you?  I see.  You are right, Crowder was his favorite and that is one of the reasons he is an ex-Jet.  Ignoring his 6'3 stud receiver for his "safety valve".   All that shows is he had no balls and refused to go to Mims and chose his comfort zone.    Can't wait until we draft Wilson; someone who will get they ball to someone like Mims and letting him "go get it" instead playing like a pussy and playing is safe. 

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

So beating your man and getting open is not enough for you?  I see.  You are right, Crowder was his favorite and that is one of the reasons he is an ex-Jet.  Ignoring his 6'3 stud receiver for his "safety valve".   All that shows is he had no balls and refused to go to Mims and chose his comfort zone.    Can't wait until we draft Wilson; someone who will get they ball to someone like Mims and letting him "go get it" instead playing like a pussy and playing is safe. 

Lol. Nice rant about a guy that was just traded. Who gives a crap now. 

Davis is a 2.  A really good 2.  He was drafted to be a 1 but AJ Brown walked in as a rookie and took that from him quite easily.

The 1 on this team will be Denzel Mims or whatever wr stud they draft in the first few rounds this year.

I think you guys are gonna be disappointed if you think JD is gonna build this team around super star WRs or RBs or drafts either position high.....I envision this team looking a lot like Baltimore or SF where the collection of players at the skill positions is more important then the one guy.

I raelly think that Davis will be a good WR and Mims will produce this year. I think its going to be more of 2A and 2C type of thing..both going to get work, most games with Davis being the top dog, but they are going to move around alot so no real clear 1...BUT I HOPE DAVIS turns into tha tnumber 1