Hmmmmm the Case For Darnold from a Wilson Lover!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is probably the best analysis of Sam that I’ve seen.  His upside is still there.  Particularly mid-season, you could see him slip into his bad habits with lower body mechanics and occasionally la

Darnold is a bleeding animal who is in shark infested waters and the sharks are circling.   Unless the world is ready to see a redhead be cannibalized by packs of angry jet fans, this isn’t the

Hmmmmm I have been waiting for this video for a minute because this QB watcher loves Zach Wilson. Loves him!!! Indeed, he like many others has Wilson higher rated than Lawrence!     So I w

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmm I have been waiting for this video for a minute because this QB watcher loves Zach Wilson. Loves him!!!

Indeed, he like many others has Wilson higher rated than Lawrence!  

So I wanted to see what he said, and to take a peek behind what JD might be thinking and why it might be good to keep Darnold for one year even if the pick were Wilson or Fields,  take a look see:

Tim says in the video trade down and take the haul but we are getting to a stage where that offer for the number 2 pick is not going to happen, if that's the case we are almost compelled to take Wilson.

There is the argument to keep Sam and pick Wilson and let them fight it out, do we really need two QBs that have to learn from scratch and that's where Sam is, he has all the tools but the new coaching staff will have to go back to basics with him. So personally I don't think that's a good place for the coaching staff to be going into their first year.

I really wanted the trade down and fix Sam but it's looking extremely unlikely now. We have to trade Sam for a conditional 2022 2nd rounder pick that could rise to say  to a 1st if he successful and his new team pick up his contract so that us jets can still hope he does well with his new team and we get some reward from it.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
58 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmm I have been waiting for this video for a minute because this QB watcher loves Zach Wilson. Loves him!!!

Indeed, he like many others has Wilson higher rated than Lawrence!  

So I wanted to see what he said, and to take a peek behind what JD might be thinking and why it might be good to keep Darnold for one year even if the pick were Wilson or Fields,  take a look see:

Thanks for sharing. He has all the skills and demeanor to succeed here. I hope he gets another shot. 

unless we can get Watson 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That is the most rediculous  comment I have seen. If JD trades back, gets 2 additional  first round picks, 2 additions 2nds and manages to draft Slater, Waddle, or Jenkins, you think people will be pissed for not drafting Wilson or Fields?

Nobody really wants to see Sam on the team anymore. I know I would prefer the Jets move on but if he is still on the team I am certainly not going to hate him and I will root for him to do well. 

Who is the trade partner that will give up a haul that jd wants? Maybe carolina. That's about it. 

The ship has sailed fellas

• Confused 1
48 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That is the most rediculous  comment I have seen. If JD trades back, gets 2 additional  first round picks, 2 additions 2nds and manages to draft Slater, Waddle, or Jenkins, you think people will be pissed for not drafting Wilson or Fields?

Nobody really wants to see Sam on the team anymore. I know I would prefer the Jets move on but if he is still on the team I am certainly not going to hate him and I will root for him to do well. 

Yes

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Mo Lew said:

Thanks for sharing. He has all the skills and demeanor to succeed here. I hope he gets another shot. 

unless we can get Watson 

Watson?  🤦‍♂️ 

• Haha 2
20 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

This is the most sane post I've read here all year. 

The problem, at this point, is definitely (primarily) the fans. The only question is which came first, the impatient, immature fans or was it the terrible owners, coaching, and management that made us this way over the years. Classic chicken or egg. 

A logical case can be made for many different options including running it back with Sam, and the fans should be able to simply get behind whatever choice is made and cheer for their team. It's too bad the fans have to be factored in so much. This is why we can't have nice things.

Maybe we all need to look in the mirror and realize that we need to change, or it's going to continue to be SOJ year after year. 

Fans, whom many, are being influenced by the media. QB talk produces eyeballs, ears and clicks. 

• Upvote 2

The bottom line is the shanahan system is supposed to make the game simpler for the QBs.  Both darnold and Wilson have similar mobility.  I’m not sold on Wilson’s gaudy passing numbers.  He may be good but he’s not in the nfl. Darnold has suffered through some bad team talent and some bad play calling. No matter how anyone slices it nfl experience,even if bad, is better than no experience.  I don’t think the jets lose by taking Wilson unless they forego a huge mega haul in a trade. They also don’t lose by keeping darnold and letting these guys compete.  And if darnold wins, he wins. It is doubtful that a decision on darnolds fifth year option can be made before May so he will be a free agent for next season.

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

But the theory that he can’t read defenses is easily dispelled in this video.  That’s not his problem.  I’ve watched every throw of Darnold’s, and every throw of a NYJ QB over the last 40 years.  He is not a bust.  He was not the primary reason the Jets have sucked the last few years.

Idc if you’ve watched every QB for the last 50 years, this is simply not true. He has a very big problem reading defenses. Particularly post-snap once the coverage starts rotating to their actual assignments.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

To the latter, the biggest issue there is not the locker room, it’s the fans.  Mid-season no one was talking about Wilson, yet now he is the new shiny toy.  Sometimes it takes patience to develop a player, and this system, with its quick reads could really unlock Darnold and would play to his strengths not his weaknesses.  But as many posters have said, I think the fans in NY are a real problem.  They don’t stick with guys through difficult times.  They make snappy judgments and the boo-birds begin.  That may ultimately be the reason they move Darnold, but it may also be the reason why three years from now, we are wondering who should replace Zach near the end of his rookie contract.  While Darnold is taking another team into the playoffs.  THat is same old Jets in a nutshell.

I’ll say it here again.  QB1 is not the biggest need we have in a few weeks.  Our needs are OL, WR, TE, Edge, and CB.  

I agree with your post almost 100% except for the fans part. Yes, the NY Jets fans have zero patience and seem like children that want a new toy and they want it NOW or they're going to throw a tantrum.

But their influence on the current team management is overstated. JD has five years left on his contract and so does Salah. I don't think either of these guys care about the fans booing. JD is going to build the team the right way.

I prefer a trade down and to give Sam a real chance with a O system that fit's his skill set with an improved OL and WR's.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

and Sam Darnold just absolutely fundamentally sucks?! 

He...always sucked fundamentally. That was always his Achilles heel. The dude had to completely revamp his throwing release, learn how to hold the ball in the pocket instead of dropping it down because he was fumbling left & right and his footwork has always been absolutely horrendous. Guy was a linebacker in high school. It’s not shocking tbh.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

He...always sucked fundamentally. That was always his Achilles heel. The dude had to completely revamp his throwing release, learn how to hold the ball in the pocket instead of dropping it down because he was fumbling left & right and his footwork has always been absolutely horrendous. Guy was a linebacker in high school. It’s not shocking tbh.

Apologize to Adam Gase. Do it.

• Haha 2
This is probably the best analysis of Sam that I’ve seen.  His upside is still there.  Particularly mid-season, you could see him slip into his bad habits with lower body mechanics and occasionally lazy throws.  But the theory that he can’t read defenses is easily dispelled in this video.  That’s not his problem.  I’ve watched every throw of Darnold’s, and every throw of a NYJ QB over the last 40 years.  He is not a bust.  He was not the primary reason the Jets have sucked the last few years.
If we can get a haul for the 2nd pick, it is tempting to go that direction and actually build a complete team.  If we can’t get a haul, I’d be happy taking BPA which may be Wilson, and then having them compete in camp.
To the latter, the biggest issue there is not the locker room, it’s the fans.  Mid-season no one was talking about Wilson, yet now he is the new shiny toy.  Sometimes it takes patience to develop a player, and this system, with its quick reads could really unlock Darnold and would play to his strengths not his weaknesses.  But as many posters have said, I think the fans in NY are a real problem.  They don’t stick with guys through difficult times.  They make snappy judgments and the boo-birds begin.  That may ultimately be the reason they move Darnold, but it may also be the reason why three years from now, we are wondering who should replace Zach near the end of his rookie contract.  While Darnold is taking another team into the playoffs.  THat is same old Jets in a nutshell.
I’ll say it here again.  QB1 is not the biggest need we have in a few weeks.  Our needs are OL, WR, TE, Edge, and CB.  

He was the 38th ranked quarterback since 2018. He is a bust.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Oh, he sucked too. Everyone sucks. We all suck.

Adam Gase was martyred for Maccagnan’s sins, tasked with building an offense around Sam Darnold and Leveon Bell’s corpse. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

Adam Gase was martyred for Maccagnan’s sins, tasked with building an offense around Sam Darnold and Leveon Bell’s corpse. 

If L Bell was a corpse than what was Frank Gore?