Interesting Jets/Niners Trade on Movin the Chains

15 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If they believe in Sam it's a great idea.  He can sit behind JG who knows the system until he's ready.   JG when healthy is a very good starting NFL QB.  He's going to give us way more production in year 1 than anyone we can draft or Sam.  He can also run the system from day 1 which is great for the rest of the O.  

If we can get another top SF player in the deal it works.  We're not getting Bosa.  

And though we have decent $ what are we going to dish out having JimmyG and Sam on the pay role at the same time? Even JimmyG and Wilson would be more money than you can commit to the cap. That is why you get Wilson and either keep Sam for 1 year or get a backup QB for ~5M for the year or less.

5 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

And though we have decent $ what are we going to dish out having JimmyG and Sam on the pay role at the same time? Even JimmyG and Wilson would be more money than you can commit to the cap. That is why you get Wilson and either keep Sam for 1 year or get a backup QB for ~5M for the year or less.

JG's contract runs out after- 2022.  We can trade him again next year or cut him.  If we're keeping Sam long term we can back load his deal to allow for the JG's cap hit in 2022.  We can easily afford to keep them both through 2022.  

Personally I think Sam is done as a potential QB in NY but if I'm sold on him with a new staff and a new system I like the idea of JG for a year.

The national media don’t want to see the Jets become a good team at all, this is essentially:”keep you’re worst rated QB and take  the broken, SF cast off and go make magic”

This is also proves 100% that Zach should be the pick at 2 for the Jets because according to this logic SF could’ve traded for Darnold without having to mortgage their future. 

On top of this I’m sure JD would love to have 1 expiring contract QB and a mid level, injury prone, expensive QB with no clear path to the future 

• Upvote 1

Garoppolo is Alex Smith or Teddy Bridgewater, a good enough QB that you want to improve from. If SF's trade up to #3 instead of trading for Darnold says something about Darnold, what does it say about Jimmy G? It clearly says that the QB they got to the Super Bowl with less than two years ago isn't good enough for the team they have now. 

The Jets should never do that trade, but I don't think SF would, either. They can afford to take a QB high and keep Garoppolo, then bring the rookie along slowly in a way I wish the Jets would try once in a while. At the very least, they could hold onto him until training camp. If they then decide that they can roll with their rookie, they could move Garoppolo any time up until the trade deadline or even the following year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Darnold is a bust.  And fields and lance can also easily bust.  

Remember watching mims not get the ball enough when darnold was in there last year? Imagine watching that with pitts as well.  

Just hear me out....look into your crystal ball and consider that maybe just maybe he would look better and get the ball to his playmakers in a new offense that is better suited to his strengths and employs nfl caliber players as receivers this time around?  
Probably not though, he’s so bad we might as well just punt on second down to save us the embarrassment.  
I’m not saying Sam hasn’t been disappointing, but the hate and the over the top doom and gloom predictions some of you guys throw at him are just really going beyond silly. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

idk if this is true. there isn't a qb in the league that would have looked good on this team, and that's a fact. again, i'm not saying we shouldn't draft wilson......i like wilson. i'm just saying the kid was stuck on a team withe a terrible coach and played behind a terrible oline, with a bad rb and nothing as far as receivers. 

100% true and Im pretty sure if Sam could have come onto the team with this staff result would be better. How much better? No idea, but certainly better. 

• Upvote 2

I’ve been listening to Kirwan for years. While he’s knowledgeable and was in the Jets front office back in the day, he just doesn’t like the Jets ( for reasons I don’t know) and never has a good thing to say about them. This trade is horrible for the Jets and great for the 49ers. One mediocre plus one apparently bad QB put on one roster doesn’t equal a good QB. Throw in taking on over $20 million a year each for JG/Darnold with the need to pay the winner $30 milllion plus vs Wilson’s rookie contract makes it worse. This is just an attempt to get Wilson on the 49ers and get the Jets out of the way.

If the Jets like Darnold, keep him and trade down foe a boatload of picks, not JG and a bag of footballs

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

If they believe in Sam it's a great idea.  He can sit behind JG who knows the system until he's ready.   JG when healthy is a very good starting NFL QB.  He's going to give us way more production in year 1 than anyone we can draft or Sam.  He can also run the system from day 1 which is great for the rest of the O.  

If we can get another top SF player in the deal it works.  We're not getting Bosa.  

If they believe in Sam that’s fine but bringing in Jimmy G and having him start is not the move. 

Trade proposal is awful and they should feel bad for suggesting it. It’s just another attempt by national media to manifest Zach Wilson to San Fran

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

They were doing mock#2 last night. Jets flip picks with S.F for Jimmy G, Kinlaw, and pick #155, a 5th. Kirwin said he lets them battle it out in camp, and pick best man. If Sam wins, and has a good year, franchise him next year. Jimmy G wins, Sam is backup, then either try to trade him at deadline or let him walk at end of year.Different spin for sure.

Jimmy G is terrible. And That isnt even the worst part about this idea.

• Haha 2

People keep wanting to do favours for other teams at the jets expense.

Could there be some scenario that the jets and the niners deal?  far fetched but possible, it would not involve garapolo though.

It would only happen if the Jets like wilson and fields equally and got assets for moving to three and taking Fields. (or lance)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

People keep wanting to do favours for other teams at the jets expense.

Could there be some scenario that the jets and the niners deal?  far fetched but possible, it would not involve garapolo though.

It would only happen if the Jets like wilson and fields equally and got assets for moving to three and taking Fields. (or lance)

If you’re sold on Wilson/Fields and with every factor involved (rookie contract etc) and they have him at a much higher valuation than Darnold it’s a wrap. You’re not going to mess around and drop back and hope the QB falls back to you. 

I’m convinced they’re using the 2 pick. Nothing was stopping them from doing exactly what Miami did and ending up at 6. 

you do realize zach wilson can easily be a bust right?
Anyone can bust. All that matters for a team like ours that doesnt have a FQB right now is: do I think there is a FQB available in this draft other than Lawrence? If so, I take him at 2. If not, I'm open to trade downs.

For me personally though, if I'm trading down and not getting a FQB this year, I'm going to need future #1s so I can get a QB next year if I need to.
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

garroppolo isn't sh*tty. he might be injury prone but when he is healthy he is pretty good
Eh. Even when healthy I think he's more like the guy that leaves you in 'it's not a priority, but aid love to upgrade the positions territory. Add his injury history to that, he's not a FQB. The 9ers are smart if they move on.
Who pays Pat Kirwan?
I've listened to Moving The Chains for years- it used to be the most fact-based, level-headed shown on the air. Even then,, they'd get wacky with the mocks once they allowed trades.. But I think somebody told them they need to be more controversial in general, because the segments they've added and the tone of the show has changed significantly in the last year or so, more hot takes, more shouting, etc. And the mocks seem to be even more wacky.
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

They were doing mock#2 last night. Jets flip picks with S.F for Jimmy G, Kinlaw, and pick #155, a 5th. Kirwin said he lets them battle it out in camp, and pick best man. If Sam wins, and has a good year, franchise him next year. Jimmy G wins, Sam is backup, then either try to trade him at deadline or let him walk at end of year.Different spin for sure.

So we get an expensive QB SF wants to get rid of and young DLineman and a #5, there's no benefit

for the Jets.   If they want to flip picks and give us Bosa, Douglas should at least discuss it

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

The national media don’t want to see the Jets become a good team at all, this is essentially:”keep you’re worst rated QB and take  the broken, SF cast off and go make magic”

This is also proves 100% that Zach should be the pick at 2 for the Jets because according to this logic SF could’ve traded for Darnold without having to mortgage their future. 

On top of this I’m sure JD would love to have 1 expiring contract QB and a mid level, injury prone, expensive QB with no clear path to the future 

This. The goal of these scenarios is to portray the jets as stupid. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, section314 said:

So miami get 3 first rounders and we get a trash qb? How does that make any sense...why would we flip picks for nothing...I do not agree

• Sympathy 1