The Stick with Darnold Thread

1 hour ago, GKnight83 said:

I do not recognize this guy as an expert.

What would you qualify as an expert with regard to talking about a sport? Does a degree in broadcasting count? Because you can have a degree in broadcasting and not know anything about football. I guess maybe a large body of quality work might qualify one as such. I've read opinions on this board that came true whereas I've seen many of the professionals crap out regularly with their opinions.

On 4/4/2021 at 10:42 AM, zonajetfan said:

This argument cracks me up. Exactly what reaction are you looking for? You want a QB to throw his helmet or punch the kicking net? Or would it be best to have a brain and try to analyze what went wrong? Now I have no idea if he is doing that mind you and neither does anyone on this board. I can say I personally would prefer a QB to take a measured approach that a "fly off the handle" one.

I would prefer a quarterback not make so many bone headed turnovers. 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

The three possibilities seem to be these:

(1) Keep Sam, pass on Wilson.

(2) Pick Wilson, ship out Sam.

(3) Pick Wilson, and keep Sam (at least for the 2021 season).

All 3 options have some potentially serious cost/downside. If the reports that there is some serious internal disagreement among the braintrust about whether to go with (1) or (2), then I can see JD going with (3) and letting things play out. The downside of a QB controversy may be overblown (for 2021) given the kind of locker room they’ll have and given the fact that neither of the QBs who would be battling it out seem to be the type to feel entitled and cause problems.

• Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, TeddEY said:

"Football is a team game" is an argument as to why Sam Darnold hasn't been successful.  It's not an argument as to why Sam Darnold is terrible.

Again: Missing open WRs is not because of the roster.  Making poor decisions routinely is not because of the roster.  Throwing YOLO balls is not because of the roster.  Bad footwork is not because of the roster.  Throwing off his back foot is not because of the roster.  Difficulty reading defenses is not because of the roster.

Totally  agree but bad coaching would explain a lot of that stuff. 

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Totally  agree but bad coaching would explain a lot of that stuff. 

Think of that "im seeing ghosts game". He was seeing something he hadn't seen before. It would have been nice to have a QB coach to explain to him how to deal with that cover zero. Yes. Gase was there. He's the HC. OC.Not a QB coach. 

38 minutes ago, genot said:

Think of that "im seeing ghosts game". He was seeing something he hadn't seen before. It would have been nice to have a QB coach to explain to him how to deal with that cover zero. Yes. Gase was there. He's the HC. OC.Not a QB coach. 

You can't  be serious. That was the Pats game and he was being mauled. Dealing with cover zero is one thing, combine that with free rushers coming  through the middle. 

There are a lot of things you can critique  about Sam but not that game. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t see the need to rush a trade.  Even if you draft Wilson I feel somebody who missed out in a QB will get desperate at the draft.  Or maybe a injury occurs and a team needs a QB.  If not then keep Sam for another year and get a comp pick.

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You can't  be serious. That was the Pats game and he was being mauled. Dealing with cover zero is one thing, combine that with free rushers coming  through the middle. 

There are a lot of things you can critique  about Sam but not that game. 

Guess you haven t read any of my posts about Sam. Not seeing cover zero before, and not having a real coach to get him through what issues he might have had, understanding the defense, isn't on Sam. Like the line play, the crap at the skill positions. Etc, etc.

5 minutes ago, genot said:

Guess you haven t read any of my posts about Sam. Not seeing cover zero before, and not having a real coach to get him through what issues he might have had, understanding the defense, isn't on Sam. Like the line play, the crap at the skill positions. Etc, etc.

Understanding it is one thing but when your OL is letting guys come at your QB nearly every play unblocked,  it really wouldn't  make a difference what he understood or who his coach was. 

On 4/3/2021 at 2:17 PM, munchmemory said:

Would be another in myriad quintessential SOJ moves.  Yup, let's keep Darnold and throw away ANOTHER season, pass on a true franchise QB, and get our GM and new HC fired.   Classic.

Yes, because "shoulders" Wilson had one good season while playing against community college-level talent, so he is GUARANTEED to be a franchise QB. And when he is on IR a quarter of the way through the season for his shoulder, I wonder what all the Zach lovers on this board are going to say then. I can hear it already, "wait until he's healthy next year!"

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Understanding it is one thing but when your OL is letting guys come at your QB nearly every play unblocked,  it really wouldn't  make a difference what he understood or who his coach was. 

I agree with you. The comment by Sam was curious. He could have said that a dozen times if it was just awful line play.100 times. Lol.

12 minutes ago, viffer said:

Yes, because "shoulders" Wilson had one good season while playing against community college-level talent, so he is GUARANTEED to be a franchise QB. And when he is on IR a quarter of the way through the season for his shoulder, I wonder what all the Zach lovers on this board are going to say then. I can hear it already, "wait until he's healthy next year!"

Yeah, you keep right on hoping the clown we have at QB miraculously becomes even marginally competent.  Leave me your address and I'll send you a box of novena candles.

2 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Do you really want an argument for keeping Darnold that three years into starting for an NFL team he still looks like a college QB? 

It's a an observation of their response to pressure.  

My argument for keeping Darnold would be that his pressure (felt) will decrease in 2021.  (QB friendly system, better weapons, better protection, 3 years in NFL acclimating to speed of the game). 

Zach is likely to have his pressure (felt) increase in 2021.  (worse OL comparatively,  complexity of NFL defenses vs. Independent conference, speed of NFL defenders).

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, you keep right on hoping the clown we have at QB miraculously becomes even marginally competent.  Leave me your address and I'll send you a box of novena candles.

Cool, let’s get the clown who already has the Chad Pennington injury resume at 22 who never played well in college facing a team that wasn’t Western Kentucky or Troy

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Cool, let’s get the clown who already has the Chad Pennington injury resume at 22 who never played well in college facing a team that wasn’t Western Kentucky or Troy

Look, I hear you guys.  I'm not sold on any QB in this draft including Lawrence.  But what I do know is we've given Darnold years to prove his worth and the guy failed.  So, either bring in an established guy (not much to choose from) or draft one of the young prospects.   That's our choice.  Period.  Sticking with Darnold results in more losses and forestalls the inevitable.  Get rid of him now, not next year.

10 hours ago, Biggs said:

The NFL rookie wage scale doesn't allow us to wait 7 years and surround Sam with the best D in the league and all pro talent to see if he can be a decent not great NFL QB. 

Not quite true.  We can keep Sam for another two years just by picking up his 5th year option.  They we can tag him.  That's four years, plus one year option plus two tags and that equals = Seven Years. 

No?

Just now, clayton163v said:

Not quite true.  We can keep Sam for another two years just by picking up his 5th year option.  They we can tag him.  That's four years, plus one year option plus two tags and that equals = Seven Years. 

No?

Guess JD didn’t want to pay him 20 plus million per to suck for another 3 years 

7 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

My Dad, a long time Raider fan, and I had this great discussion once.  It basically ended on there is no one who understands the whole NFL.  You would have had to be a player, a coach, worked in the front office, worked at the league office and owned a team to know it all.  I think that is what makes it great.

As much as I dislike Casserly for the pain he has caused the Jets, he was, at least for some time in his life, an expert.

The thing to remember about true experts like Casserly, once they appear on TV they are trying to attract and retain an audience.  It is the entertainment business.  Like the news channels today, bringing you the news - whether left or right - is no longer the objective.  They are trying to attract and retain an audience.  True experts who are honest and fair are few and far between today. 

Ourlads is the only one I know about.  They are a true professional scouting service.  For those who want a genuine objective take, their draft guide is shipping right now.  Well worth the $40 bucks.

5 hours ago, Stanley Blinka said:

The three possibilities seem to be these:

(1) Keep Sam, pass on Wilson.

(2) Pick Wilson, ship out Sam.

(3) Pick Wilson, and keep Sam (at least for the 2021 season).

All 3 options have some potentially serious cost/downside. If the reports that there is some serious internal disagreement among the braintrust about whether to go with (1) or (2), then I can see JD going with (3) and letting things play out. The downside of a QB controversy may be overblown (for 2021) given the kind of locker room they’ll have and given the fact that neither of the QBs who would be battling it out seem to be the type to feel entitled and cause problems.

Great handle for your account.  I remember Stan Blinka.  An old fashioned middle linebacker.  I remember him knocking out John Jefferson with an elbow when he wandered too close on a busted play.  15 yards.  

I thought of using his picture as my avatar. 

4 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Great handle for your account.  I remember Stan Blinka.  An old fashioned middle linebacker.  I remember him knocking out John Jefferson with an elbow when he wandered too close on a busted play.  15 yards.  

I thought of using his picture as my avatar. 

That’s hilarious...He was always “Stan Blinka” but after that very game Walt Michaels defended Blinka to the press, saying he’s not a dirty player, etc. I was a kid and laughed when I heard Michaels refer to him as Stanley. From that moment on he was “Stanley Blinka” in my mind.