The Stick with Darnold Thread

7 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Well the 'objective' metrics failed to account for the situation Sam was placed in. It wouldn't have mattered who the Jets played at QB as they would have looked just as bad if not worse than Sam.

This argument has played out here many times. It's the Sam sucks just look at the stats crowd vs. the let's look at the entire situation crowd who understands that football is a team game.

Too many times. I'm tired of it. Like I said before we'll just have to wait to see who was right.

"Football is a team game" is an argument as to why Sam Darnold hasn't been successful.  It's not an argument as to why Sam Darnold is terrible.

Again: Missing open WRs is not because of the roster.  Making poor decisions routinely is not because of the roster.  Throwing YOLO balls is not because of the roster.  Bad footwork is not because of the roster.  Throwing off his back foot is not because of the roster.  Difficulty reading defenses is not because of the roster.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

Alex Smith turned out to be a mid tier NFL starting QB who Harbaugh and Reid unloaded because they didn't think they could win with him. 

With respect, the only two players left from the 2005 draft are Alex Smith, Frank Gore and Aaron Rodgers.  Oh there might be a late round pick somewhere, but that is it for the coveted players in 2005.

Alex Smith has been the QB for seven playoff teams in his long NFL career.  Dumping him for beans has never been a wise decision.  Even so, when Reid "unloaded"  him he got Kendall Fuller - a 3d round pick the year before - and a 3d round pick.  Not bad return for a 12 year veteran. 

They underestimated Alex Smith and you underestimate Sam Darnold imo.  Sam will not turn 24 until June.  Nor is Sam made of glass like Smith.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, clayton163v said:

With respect, the only two players left from the 2005 draft are Alex Smith, Frank Gore and Aaron Rodgers.  Oh there might be a late round pick somewhere, but that is it for the coveted players in 2005.

Alex Smith has been the QB for seven playoff teams in his long NFL career.  Dumping him for beans has never been a wise decision.  Even so, when Reid "unloaded"  him he got Kendall Fuller - a 3d round pick the year before - and a 3d round pick.  Not bad return for a 12 year veteran. 

They underestimated Alex Smith and you underestimate Sam Darnold imo.  Sam will not turn 24 until June.  Nor is Sam made of glass like Smith.

Reid and Harbaugh didn't under rate Smith.  They made the right move upgrading the position.   If you think Sam is going to be a second tier NFL starter for 15 years and get you to the playoffs and lose a few times that's a nice place for the NY Jets to get to.  I don't think anyone would have jumped up and down for drafting Sam Darnold if we expected him to turn into Alex Smith.  

Alex Smith was drafted 1st overall because Mike Nolan didn't think he could get along with Aaron Rodgers.  

Not to nitpick but Alex Smith was drafted prior to the rookie wage scale.  He was grossly over paid and didn't have a good season until year 7.   After his initial deal he was able to stay in the league by taking a huge pay cut after year 4. 

He was able to become good and get paid again when he was traded to KC in year 9.  Sam is in the exact opposite situation.  He was on a rookie wage scale and will have to be re-signed to see if by year 7 he can turn into a decent NFL starter with a totally staked team around him. 

The NFL rookie wage scale doesn't allow us to wait 7 years and surround Sam with the best D in the league and all pro talent to see if he can be a decent not great NFL QB. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I am sorry...I do not recognize this guy as an expert.  A huge fan - yes.  A guy who enjoys what he is doing - yes.

Now if he was a Head Coach, an Offensive Coordinator or a QB Coach who has worked for the Jets - ok, that qualifies as a Jet expert imo.

at least the piece wasn't from joe in the bronx.  nania isn't bad.  he uses some good logic and doesn't seem to be swept up in the hype.  he does rank fields higher than wilson so maybe there's a chance douglas will go that way.  he did make one comment that i disagreed with and that was about the oline being better and so darnold couldn't use that excuse.   my disagreement isn't about the oline being marginally better but with a better run game darnold's game would've better too.  the run game was worse and i think that had a bad effect on darnold.

14 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

Yeah, I am sorry...I do not recognize this guy as an expert.  A huge fan - yes.  A guy who enjoys what he is doing - yes.

Now if he was a Head Coach, an Offensive Coordinator or a QB Coach who has worked for the Jets - ok, that qualifies as a Jet expert imo.

like charley casserly?  only kidding.  there are some fans that actually know the game just like there are many espn talking heads that know nothing about anything.

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

This crap has been coming up on my YouTube feed. This guy has obscure podcast guys and Twitter “experts” on, and every video is like

....expert explains.... 

super annoying. blocked.

Nania is really good.  He does his work and is excellent with stats.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

like charley casserly?  only kidding.  there are some fans that actually know the game just like there are many espn talking heads that know nothing about anything.

This is laughable. If someone claiming to be a Jets expert argued the other side of this and there is another side to this argument that has merits, all the fans that disagree would be balking at the exper moniker.  People who claim other people are knowledgeable  usually  have a similar way of thinking about something, especially  when it is as polarizing as this. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

My Dad, a long time Raider fan, and I had this great discussion once.  It basically ended on there is no one who understands the whole NFL.  You would have had to be a player, a coach, worked in the front office, worked at the league office and owned a team to know it all.  I think that is what makes it great.

As much as I dislike Casserly for the pain he has caused the Jets, he was, at least for some time in his life, an expert.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GKnight83 said:

My Dad, a long time Raider fan, and I had this great discussion once.  It basically ended on there is no one who understands the whole NFL.  You would have had to be a player, a coach, worked in the front office, worked at the league office and owned a team to know it all.  I think that is what makes it great.

As much as I dislike Casserly for the pain he has caused the Jets, he was, at least for some time in his life, an expert.

Belichick