Jump to content

The Stick with Darnold Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Darnold is not competitive.  He doesn't hate losing. The great ones DESPISE losing.   They hate losing more than they enjoy winning. Never once has Darnold displayed that characteristic in a

It seems like more than 75% of sports talking heads are saying “stick with Darnold.” I think the majority of these takes are rooted in the lazy take that Darnold is a good player that’s been ruined by

All the former Jets lobbying for Darnold to be the guy continually reminds me why they were all Jets at one point in time. bad decision makers, these guys.   All of them.

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Well the 'objective' metrics failed to account for the situation Sam was placed in. It wouldn't have mattered who the Jets played at QB as they would have looked just as bad if not worse than Sam.

This argument has played out here many times. It's the Sam sucks just look at the stats crowd vs. the let's look at the entire situation crowd who understands that football is a team game.

Too many times. I'm tired of it. Like I said before we'll just have to wait to see who was right.

"Football is a team game" is an argument as to why Sam Darnold hasn't been successful.  It's not an argument as to why Sam Darnold is terrible.

Again: Missing open WRs is not because of the roster.  Making poor decisions routinely is not because of the roster.  Throwing YOLO balls is not because of the roster.  Bad footwork is not because of the roster.  Throwing off his back foot is not because of the roster.  Difficulty reading defenses is not because of the roster.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Biggs said:

Alex Smith turned out to be a mid tier NFL starting QB who Harbaugh and Reid unloaded because they didn't think they could win with him. 

With respect, the only two players left from the 2005 draft are Alex Smith, Frank Gore and Aaron Rodgers.  Oh there might be a late round pick somewhere, but that is it for the coveted players in 2005.

Alex Smith has been the QB for seven playoff teams in his long NFL career.  Dumping him for beans has never been a wise decision.  Even so, when Reid "unloaded"  him he got Kendall Fuller - a 3d round pick the year before - and a 3d round pick.  Not bad return for a 12 year veteran. 

They underestimated Alex Smith and you underestimate Sam Darnold imo.  Sam will not turn 24 until June.  Nor is Sam made of glass like Smith.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 7:13 PM, maury77 said:

This is his 2020 tape under pressure

 

Thanks for sharing this. Zach Wilson under pressure looks like Sam Darnold under pressure. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This crap has been coming up on my YouTube feed. This guy has obscure podcast guys and Twitter “experts” on, and every video is like

....expert explains.... 

super annoying. blocked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, clayton163v said:

With respect, the only two players left from the 2005 draft are Alex Smith, Frank Gore and Aaron Rodgers.  Oh there might be a late round pick somewhere, but that is it for the coveted players in 2005.

Alex Smith has been the QB for seven playoff teams in his long NFL career.  Dumping him for beans has never been a wise decision.  Even so, when Reid "unloaded"  him he got Kendall Fuller - a 3d round pick the year before - and a 3d round pick.  Not bad return for a 12 year veteran. 

They underestimated Alex Smith and you underestimate Sam Darnold imo.  Sam will not turn 24 until June.  Nor is Sam made of glass like Smith.

Reid and Harbaugh didn't under rate Smith.  They made the right move upgrading the position.   If you think Sam is going to be a second tier NFL starter for 15 years and get you to the playoffs and lose a few times that's a nice place for the NY Jets to get to.  I don't think anyone would have jumped up and down for drafting Sam Darnold if we expected him to turn into Alex Smith.  

Alex Smith was drafted 1st overall because Mike Nolan didn't think he could get along with Aaron Rodgers.  

Not to nitpick but Alex Smith was drafted prior to the rookie wage scale.  He was grossly over paid and didn't have a good season until year 7.   After his initial deal he was able to stay in the league by taking a huge pay cut after year 4. 

He was able to become good and get paid again when he was traded to KC in year 9.  Sam is in the exact opposite situation.  He was on a rookie wage scale and will have to be re-signed to see if by year 7 he can turn into a decent NFL starter with a totally staked team around him. 

The NFL rookie wage scale doesn't allow us to wait 7 years and surround Sam with the best D in the league and all pro talent to see if he can be a decent not great NFL QB. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Michael Nania is the man, guy is always diving into tape. I completely agree with his stance. Legit one of the most knowledgeable fans I've ever met.

The Chronicles of Nania?

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 10:13 PM, maury77 said:

This is his 2020 tape under pressure

 

Just wait until the guys applying 'pressure' are just as fast, if not faster, than Zack.

Link to post
Share on other sites

still favor trading the #2 pick for a king's ransom. If a good enough offer does not materialize, a legit QB competition is a far better choice than anointing a savior. "You play to win the game!"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I am sorry...I do not recognize this guy as an expert.  A huge fan - yes.  A guy who enjoys what he is doing - yes.

Now if he was a Head Coach, an Offensive Coordinator or a QB Coach who has worked for the Jets - ok, that qualifies as a Jet expert imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, choon328 said:

Hey geniuses, the title of the topic is the title of the video. I didn't make it up. 

What's  really sad is you woukd post anything with the words " Jets Expert " in it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, More Cowbell said:

What's  really sad is you woukd post anything with the words " Jets Expert " in it.

 

Oh, is it sad? Go back to the closet you live in and stop commenting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

at least the piece wasn't from joe in the bronx.  nania isn't bad.  he uses some good logic and doesn't seem to be swept up in the hype.  he does rank fields higher than wilson so maybe there's a chance douglas will go that way.  he did make one comment that i disagreed with and that was about the oline being better and so darnold couldn't use that excuse.   my disagreement isn't about the oline being marginally better but with a better run game darnold's game would've better too.  the run game was worse and i think that had a bad effect on darnold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

Yeah, I am sorry...I do not recognize this guy as an expert.  A huge fan - yes.  A guy who enjoys what he is doing - yes.

Now if he was a Head Coach, an Offensive Coordinator or a QB Coach who has worked for the Jets - ok, that qualifies as a Jet expert imo.

like charley casserly?  only kidding.  there are some fans that actually know the game just like there are many espn talking heads that know nothing about anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Oh, is it sad? Go back to the closet you live in and stop commenting. 

Boy, someone really has a thin skin. I suggest posting a blog. You might have more favorable comments from people who actually subscribe to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just wait until the guys applying 'pressure' are just as fast, if not faster, than Zack.
Yeah there's like 4 plays there where he's really under pressure in the first 3-4 seconds.
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

This crap has been coming up on my YouTube feed. This guy has obscure podcast guys and Twitter “experts” on, and every video is like

....expert explains.... 

super annoying. blocked.

Nania is really good.  He does his work and is excellent with stats.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

like charley casserly?  only kidding.  there are some fans that actually know the game just like there are many espn talking heads that know nothing about anything.

This is laughable. If someone claiming to be a Jets expert argued the other side of this and there is another side to this argument that has merits, all the fans that disagree would be balking at the exper moniker.  People who claim other people are knowledgeable  usually  have a similar way of thinking about something, especially  when it is as polarizing as this. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rangerous said:

like charley casserly?  only kidding.  there are some fans that actually know the game just like there are many espn talking heads that know nothing about anything.

My Dad, a long time Raider fan, and I had this great discussion once.  It basically ended on there is no one who understands the whole NFL.  You would have had to be a player, a coach, worked in the front office, worked at the league office and owned a team to know it all.  I think that is what makes it great.

As much as I dislike Casserly for the pain he has caused the Jets, he was, at least for some time in his life, an expert.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GKnight83 said:

My Dad, a long time Raider fan, and I had this great discussion once.  It basically ended on there is no one who understands the whole NFL.  You would have had to be a player, a coach, worked in the front office, worked at the league office and owned a team to know it all.  I think that is what makes it great.

As much as I dislike Casserly for the pain he has caused the Jets, he was, at least for some time in his life, an expert.

Belichick 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...