The Stick with Darnold Thread

1 hour ago, Stanley Blinka said:

That’s hilarious...He was always “Stan Blinka” but after that very game Walt Michaels defended Blinka to the press, saying he’s not a dirty player, etc. I was a kid and laughed when I heard Michaels refer to him as Stanley. From that moment on he was “Stanley Blinka” in my mind.

I remember.  I laughed when Walt said he wasn't a dirty player.  Not to cast aspersions on good old Stan, but he played the game a certain way.  Jefferson had come too close and back then, middle linebackers were to be feared (and avoided).  

Thanks for the memories.

22 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

What would you qualify as an expert with regard to talking about a sport? Does a degree in broadcasting count? Because you can have a degree in broadcasting and not know anything about football. I guess maybe a large body of quality work might qualify one as such. I've read opinions on this board that came true whereas I've seen many of the professionals crap out regularly with their opinions.

Yeah, I am sorry...I do not recognize this guy as an expert. A huge fan - yes. A guy who enjoys what he is doing - yes. Now if he was a Head Coach, an Offensive Coordinator or a QB Coach who has worked for the Jets - ok, that qualifies as a Jet expert imo.

34 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

Yeah, I am sorry...I do not recognize this guy as an expert. A huge fan - yes. A guy who enjoys what he is doing - yes. Now if he was a Head Coach, an Offensive Coordinator or a QB Coach who has worked for the Jets - ok, that qualifies as a Jet expert imo.

All good. Was Adam Gase a Jets expert? How about this guy?

Dowell Loggains Named Jets' Offensive Coordinator/QBs Coach

• 5 months later...
On 4/3/2021 at 2:28 PM, Creepy Lurker said:

If I hear about Darnold’s age one more time, I’m going to snap. He’s a useless, soft, sack of sh*t. He had 3 abysmal years, no fire and is not a leader. His contract situation alone makes sticking with him not smart or likely. All these idiots need to shut up. 

Proud Of You Reaction GIF

• Upvote 2

So Sam barely beats the jets, a team with jameis at qb and 7 coaches out from covid and then beats a team that everyone says is tanking and probably the worst in the nfl on a short week and everyone’s loving it?  Let’s revisit after next week when he plays the cowboys - a real team.

• WTF? 1

12 hours ago, heymangold said:

So Sam barely beats the jets, a team with jameis at qb and 7 coaches out from covid and then beats a team that everyone says is tanking and probably the worst in the nfl on a short week and everyone’s loving it?  Let’s revisit after next week when he plays the cowboys - a real team.

Well you got to give him credit for dealing with a Crappy O-Line and WINNING in spite of it.

I mean check this Gongshow out :

WOOF.

Oh look, @Paradis, Your namesake sucks.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vin said:

Well you got to give him credit for dealing with a Crappy O-Line and WINNING in spite of it.

I mean check this Gongshow out :

WOOF.

Oh look, @Paradis, Your namesake sucks.  

Yea. Said after Jets game, Sam's talent will give him good numbers with the weapons he has. His o-line sucks. If they fix that, that offense has a chance to be explosive. 

• Upvote 3

So really what I'm gathering from Jets fans on this site is the following leading up to today:

1) Sammy sucks, has clearly regressed and MUST  be traded.

2) JD MUST draft Wilson or he'll lose his job.

3) There's NO way holding on to Sammy can work with the Jets.

4) Sammy will languish as a 2nd or 3rd stringer on another team.

NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NONE of the above is true so far. In fact, the complete opposite has been the case. Sammy has suddenly found a fountain of youth. He's resurrected his very beleaguered career in short order. This comes as a result of playing with a talented, complimentary supporting cast.

Now although it's important to note, Sammy did NOT have anything resembling a talented, complimentary supporting cast in NY. If the Jets had stuck with Sammy they certainly would have accumulated a first rate supporting cast for him this season.

The Jets current team is what Sammy, more than likely, would have gotten. 

There's NO doubt Sammy would have been much more successful at least so far with this team. With the numbers he's produced, more than likely the Jets would be sitting at 1-1 right now. Sammy would have guided the Jets to victory in Carolina.

• Upvote 1

Sam Darnold while not playing anything for the Jets like he is for Carolina, was not the biggest problem in NYJ land when he was here. I get some of you can't come to grips with that, and I'm not saying he's completely tearing it up in Carolina, but again he wasn't the biggest problem here in NYJ land. This team would have benefitted from being able to trade #2 for multiple picks if we kept him. That said, I'm ok and not looking back, and moving forward with our QB reset to get this program going. Now get us that Center/Guard or Center/Tackle we so desperately need, then I think we're on our way. Oust VanRoten, and move McGovern over to RG if we don't go Center/Guard. I'm a supporter of JD, but if he doesn't address that either this year, in FA or the 2022 draft, then I'm done with him also and will consider him just another bust GM.

Look, Sam is playing well, as he's on a more talented team and is likely to get better and I say good for him...

But bottom line though - Sam is NEVER winning a SB.  He's just doesn't have the explosiveness as a QB to carry a team.  And that's pretty much what you need these days to win a SB.  You pretty much need dominant QB.  Sam's upside is limmitted.

If you were building a team to get wildcards every 3 or 4 years and be one and out...then sure, keep Sam.  It was the safer play.

If you want to be a consistent 13 win team with SB potential every year - you take a chance on a the upside talent of ZW.  If Zach hits, you're a perennial contender.  Of course you run the risk and him burning out in two years.

I'm with JD's call on this one.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Look, Sam is playing well, as he's on a more talented team and is likely to get better and I say good for him...

But bottom line though - Sam is NEVER winning a SB.  He's just doesn't have the explosiveness as a QB to carry a team.  And that's pretty much what you need these days to win a SB.  You pretty much need dominant QB.  Sam's upside is limmitted.

If you were building a team to get wildcards every 3 or 4 years and be one and out...then sure, keep Sam.  It was the safer play.

If you want to be a consistent 13 win team with SB potential every year - you take a chance on a the upside talent of ZW.  If Zach hits, you're a perennial contender.  Of course you run the risk and him burning out in two years.

I swear to god.....If you just Jinxed us with that Statement.....

13 minutes ago, Vin said:

I swear to god.....If you just Jinxed us with that Statement.....

Nah.  The Caronlina Panthers with Sam Darnold are not winning a Super Bowl.  Moreover, Sam winning one doesn't affect the Jets in any way, even if I believed in jinxes it has no baring on us.

In fact, I would be happy for Sam if he did.  He was a trooper here, never said anything bad, came out and played hard.  Even though he was handled about as a QB could possibly be handled.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Trading Darnold wasnt because ZW will be better this season than Darnold.  It was about the ceiling being higher for ZW along with resetting the QB contract clock to align with the development of the rest of a young team.  

For the most part I agree with you. Except the ceiling part.

Trading Darnold wasnt because ZW will be better this season than Darnold.  It was about the ceiling being higher for ZW along with resetting the QB contract clock to align with the development of the rest of a young team.  

Zack Wilson does not have a higher ceiling than Darnold. Darnold was a much better prospect coming out of college. The only thing Wilson as a prospect has over Sam is a stronger arm. Otherwise Zach is a one year wonder that wasn’t on any NFL radar prior to his last season in college. Zach came out in one of the worst QB drafts in the last 10-15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Zack Wilson does not have a higher ceiling than Darnold. Darnold was a much better prospect coming out of college. The only thing Wilson as a prospect has over Sam is a stronger arm. Otherwise Zach is a one year wonder that wasn’t on any NFL radar prior to his last season in college. Zach came out in one of the worst QB drafts in the last 10-15 years.

Darnold was a hot prospect for his sophomore season.  He had one game that got him noticed.  But we complain that ZW had one season also.  Sam played two seasons one good season a partial season, ZW had three with two of them being good.  But ZW is the one year wonder.  Dont quite get the comment

ZW has a bigger arm.  ZW has more arm talent.  ZW was much more accurate in college.  ZW was much better at protecting the ball, throwing a lot fewer INTS and not being a fumble machine in college like Sam was his second season.  

Where and how is Darnold ceiling higher?  

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Darnold was a hot prospect for his sophomore season.  He had one game that got him noticed.  But we complain that ZW had one season also.  Sam played two seasons one good season a partial season, ZW had three with two of them being good.  But ZW is the one year wonder.  Dont quite get the comment

ZW has a bigger arm.  ZW has more arm talent.  ZW was much more accurate in college.  ZW was much better at protecting the ball, throwing a lot fewer INTS and not being a fumble machine in college like Sam was his second season.  

Where and how is Darnold ceiling higher?  

Wilson had the time to read War and Peace when he dropped back and looked downfield. It was BYU for God's sake. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, genot said:

Wilson had the time to read War and Peace when he dropped back and looked downfield. It was BYU for God's sake. 

Yeah, thats the excuse why Sams numbers suck compared to ZWs.

Because real college QBs playing at big time programs dont have time to throw 

55 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I think Sam’s absolute ceiling would be an Eli/Favre type QB where you have to deal with the turnovers along with the production, and could still possibly put together a hot streak at the right time. I understand the Jets opting to go in another direction, especially when the contracts come into play. Problem is that the Jets are not much more ready now than they were three years ago to develop a rookie QB. I still like JD, Saleh, and LaFluer, but they might’ve bitten off a little more than they can chew by trying to develop Zach while also installing new systems on both sides of the ball and trying to wipe out a decade of losing culture all at the same time. It’s a massive baptism by fire for everyone. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, thats the excuse why Sams numbers suck compared to ZWs.

Because real college QBs playing at big time programs dont have time to throw 

Look at Darnolds two year stays at USC. Look at Wilson's.  Both QB's are very similar. Wilson has slightly more arm talent. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually, resetting the QB contract clock was *THE* main reason Sam was dealt.

It was purely a Financial decision that had nothing to do with whether Joe believed or not that Sam could be successful if he remained here.

Let's look at it another way :

If Sam had 2 years remaining(along with the Team option for a 5th), I think joe would've had him stick around.    It's all about the bottom line here.  Nothing more, nothing less.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Vin said:

It was purely a Financial decision that had nothing to do with whether Joe believed or not that Sam could be successful if he remained here.

If Sam had 2 years remaining(along with the Team option for a 5th), I think joe would've had him stick around.    It's all about the bottom line here.  Nothing more, nothing less.

If Sam were in year 3 instead of year 4, there would be 1 less year of bad QBing on film which would certainly swing the decision.

Regardless, I do agree - the decision was not Zach vs Sam. The decision was Zach’s future contract vs Sam’s current contract. Any objective person and even many Jets fans without an agenda were able to look at the Jets and realize that Sam was given absolutely no chance of success here, and that he still had potential that could be uncovered with just competent coaching and talent management.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

If Sam were in year 3 instead of year 4, there would be 1 less year of bad QBing on film which would certainly swing the decision.

Regardless, I do agree - the decision was not Zach vs Sam. The decision was Zach’s future contract vs Sam’s current contract. Any objective person and even many Jets fans without an agenda were able to look at the Jets and realize that Sam was given absolutely no chance of success here, and that he still had potential that could be uncovered with just competent coaching and talent management.

Awesome Post.  The biggest  factor was the contract.  If it was year 3 we probably trade down for a kings ransom Douglas has even implied that.  I just think Sam needed a fresh start after being set up to fail here.  I feel it was the best decision for both sides.  Sam gets a fresh start and we could restart the rookie clock with more assets to build around Wilson than back in 2018

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

WTF are you talking about Nostradamus? How arrogant can you be to actually have the audacity to say Sam is never winning the SB. How the hell do you know what kind of team Carolina management will put around Sammy? What a DUMB proclamation. Lol

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It was as much about resetting the QB clock as it was financial. Based on badly Jets management handled Sammy, they really weren't sure if they should pay him or trade him.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, genot said:

Look at Darnolds two year stays at USC. Look at Wilson's.  Both QB's are very similar. Wilson has slightly more arm talent. 

Wilson played three years at BYU.  Theyre nothing alike, Sam never had a 70+ comp %, never had only 3 INTs in a season.  Sam fumbled worse than Danny Dimes.  

2 hours ago, Vin said:

You have no idea how much was setting the clock and how much was JD thinking about Sam the QB 

1 hour ago, genot said:

What did Wilson do the year before. What did Darnold do the year before. Add up those numbers and get back to me. Thanks.

He was injured and struggled.'

The year of the Darnold he started the season on the bench.  

You can add up those numbers all you want, Wilsons 73.5 comp%, 33 TD to 9 INT ratio still better Darnold and his 31 TD & 9 INT best.   But then he fell to 26/13 63 comp %

Zach played as a freshman, the first for a BYU QB.  Sam rode the bench for his freshman year and the start of his sophomore season.  Theres no debate

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was injured and struggled.'

The year of the Darnold he started the season on the bench.  

You can add up those numbers all you want, Wilsons 73.5 comp%, 33 TD to 9 INT ratio still better Darnold and his 31 TD & 9 INT best.   But then he fell to 26/13 63 comp %

Zach played as a freshman, the first for a BYU QB.  Sam rode the bench for his freshman year and the start of his sophomore season.  Theres no debate

Wilson's one good year he played a powder puff schedule. Had an offensive line that gave him forever too throw the football. Luke Faulk would have put up those same numbers. There's no debate.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, genot said:

Wilson's one good year he played a powder puff schedule. Had an offensive line that gave him forever too throw the football. Luke Faulk would have put up those same numbers. There's no debate.

Dude, stop.

If youre going to shlt not he stats, then dont bring up stats.  Yeah, Luke Faulk anyone could have put up those stats.  

Darnold was a one year wonder who didnt even play 2 full seasons and his one season was a partial season.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Dude, stop.

If youre going to shlt not he stats, then dont bring up stats.  Yeah, Luke Faulk anyone could have put up those stats.  

Darnold was a one year wonder who didnt even play 2 full seasons and his one season was a partial season.  

It was an easier schedule but Wilson but up the highest non-SEC QB rating in history.

There have been LOTS of QB's that have played easy schedules and none of them were that good. 

• Upvote 2

It was an easier schedule but Wilson but up the highest non-SEC QB rating in history.
There have been LOTS of QB's that have played easy schedules and none of them were that good. 
How is that Ohio State wonder faring today?? Just curious....

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk