The Stick with Darnold Thread

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I honestly have no idea what Wilson will be. What I do know, is that through 3 years of play, Sam has been bad. 

I agree with that post. I don't know if Wilson will be any good playing against NFL talent after one season playing against D-III level teams and we don't know if his surgically repaired shoulders are going to hold up.

Yes, Sam has been bad his first three years but he has shown flashes. Sam supporters believe that no one could have looked good with the situation he was put in.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

So what's your question then?

I guess the question is are you more pro Darnold or anti picking QB at #2/Wison

If you had say four choices:

Take Zach Wilson

Trade down to 4 and take Lance/Fields or Jones

Trade down to 8 and keep Sam

Trade down to 8 take a positional player and then target a QB like Mond

Which would you choose?

10 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Robby Anderson had the best years of his career with Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater throwing to him.A039E8C0-E8D7-4417-B829-E75A50984B14.jpeg.a19c784b1e895aa759dd71790e7f0523.jpeg

The only numbers that really stand out to me are the number of receptions he had with Carolina. Note how the ypc average dropped though. 

16 minutes ago, genot said:

It's not enough of a sample size to prove a point. The only thing it could say though is that Darnold was a little gun shy. Flacco is a 13 yr vet with nothing to lose and he had a little more success with Perriman. I don't think Sam trusted him. Certainly not like he trusted Robby.

It is because it is consistent with Sam Darnold’s performances against anything except the worst teams in the league. There isn’t a 4 game stretch this season where Darnold matches Flacco’s production in his starts. Our receivers’ best games were with Flacco under center. It stands to reason that our team would have been better statistically if Flacco had played all season. 

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

It is because it is consistent with Sam Darnold’s performances against anything except the worst teams in the league. There isn’t a 4 game stretch this season where Darnold matches Flacco’s production in his starts. Our receivers’ best games were with Flacco under center. It stands to reason that our team would have been better statistically if Flacco had played all season. 

Flacco would have gotten killed the first half of the season. If Darnold wasn't so mobile. He would have been sacked 50 times the first part of the year. You watched those games. It was a jailbreak.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Every OL that plays in front of Sam Darnold is worse because of Sam Darnold. Flacco played more snaps without Becton than Sam did and somehow had a lower sack rate than Darnold. 

Tackle wasn't the problem. It was Alex Lewis. A jag playing with two bum shoulders. Mcgovern was bad the first part of the year. He was learning a new offense and figuring out the correct protections to call. And then Van Roten. Who was Rotten a lot.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, genot said:

Jet's have been really bad the last two years with Gase. Bad offense. No help from the defense. Especially forcing turnovers. Bad field position. It's been an all around nightmare. We've had teams in the past that lost a lot of games. There was something always to hang your hat on. Some stud on offense or defense to watch play on Sundays.

He was one of the worst in the league pre-Gase, and all of his issues were on display in college too.

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

Can you give an example of a QB that excelled with the worst supporting roster in literally the history of the NFL and the worst HC and six years of the worst team management by Idzak and Macc?

The past two years were not the worst roster in NFL history, nor even close.

Your premise is invalid.

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I just love the idea of being able to fill so many holes on the roster in one draft. The silver lining here is the Jets have so many holes on there roster that you'd be filling a need with almost every pick in this draft.

Depending on where a team is trading up from,  you’d only be getting 1- 2nd round this year with a #1 next and maybe the following. If it’s picks you’re interested in JD could move back from #23 and gain a #1 next year( again depending where the team is moving up from) and additional picks. If JD is competent with his picks we have more than enough ammo to surround Wilson/Fields with talent…. Plus the pick for Darnold. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Well, Steve Young comes to mind? Rich Gannon perhaps? Alex Smith? Although I'm not sure how long he languished with the label of bust QB before he resurrected his career? Those are 3 that I think at least somewhat answer your question?

Show your work.  The question wasn’t who are QBs that improved after disappointing starts.  The question was, who was the worst QB in the NFL for three years, and then good.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I guess the question is are you more pro Darnold or anti picking QB at #2/Wison

If you had say four choices:

Take Zach Wilson

Trade down to 4 and take Lance/Fields or Jones

Trade down to 8 and keep Sam

Trade down to 8 take a positional player and then target a QB like Mond

Which would you choose?

Would depend on the value received for the trade back in each scenario. What do I get from Atlanta or Carolina and who’s left on the board at 8

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Would be another in myriad quintessential SOJ moves.  Yup, let's keep Darnold and throw away ANOTHER season, pass on a true franchise QB, and get our GM and new HC fired.   Classic.

Wilson is a franchise QB????   I’m with you but it’s not like we are passing on Manning.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, genot said:

Tackle wasn't the problem. It was Alex Lewis. A jag playing with two bum shoulders. Mcgovern was bad the first part of the year. He was learning a new offense and figuring out the correct protections to call. And then Van Roten. Who was Rotten a lot.

here is a ex NFL player who has  watched the film on Sam. Really exposes all you Darnold truthers excuses.

And it only took 2 mins ?

45 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

He was one of the worst in the league pre-Gase, and all of his issues were on display in college too.

He was a 20 yr old rookie. He had a great year as a sophomore at USC. He stumbled his junior year. It was almost a universal opinion, that his flaws we're fixable. Too bad he was drafted bu the Jet's. Anderson goes to Carolina, and explodes. Leo goes to the Giants and explodes.

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I love Bart, he’s pretty entertaining on ESPN Radio but sometimes he sounds really dumb. 

His takes on Darnold are pretty much anti-Wilson, he’s all over the place. Pretty much every criticism at the Jet organization leveled here, no talent, 3 different systems, 2 head coaches, and AWFUL HC in Gase, no Oline, he’s only 23 how can you jump ship so early, but I think he’s basically against Wilson. 

And I love Darnold but I’m ready to move to Wilson. 

You're not being fair.  He is not against Wilson and neither am I.  But both of us are against Wilson - or any of the other also ran QBs - with the SECOND PICK in the draft. 

There is a legitimate #2 pick on the board in Sewell who was destined for a top 5 pick since high school.  Why look a gift horse in the mouth?  I suspect we can also get a fair offer for the #2 pick.  I would do either one before I took Wilson. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, PS17 said:

anyone who’s watched the team for more than a couple quarters has seen that Darnold doesn’t see open receivers, consistently makes awful decisions leading to turnovers, has dubious mechanics, and gets hurt every year. He hasn’t improved on any of his flaws dating back to USC. It’s time to start over.

Even if you are 100% correct, it does not justify overdrafting a college prospect.  Take the top player on the board - Sewell.  If there is a fair offer then take it.  If one of the other QBs falls to the Jets at 23, then by all means - draft one. 

But we have to be bargain hunters.  Off the rack suit, not Gucci.  We are the second worst team in the NFL.  We have holes everywhere.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

This is exactly what I've been saying today and getting destroyed over. There really aren't many that have taken this stance. I'm 100% on board with Greeny, Bart, and Jeff Saturday. 

And honestly, I think the idea of trading down and collecting a kings ransom is too enticing for me (and hopefully JD) to pass up. JD DOES NOT have to pick a QB now. He can take a QB next year or the year following. I just love the idea of being able to fill so many holes on the roster in one draft. The silver lining here is the Jets have so many holes on there roster that you'd be filling a need with almost every pick in this draft.

Wow.  Not a single down vote.   Good luck trying to talk the board down the tree.  But I am with you.

• Upvote 1

Looks like a pitiful loser when he throws an interception. Puts his head down and walks to the bench just to get up and throw another one 5 minutes later.

That’s the hardest part of scouting these players. A lot of them have never really dealt with adversity on a football field and you will never know how they respond until it’s too late. 1 of the biggest selling points about Darnold was his alleged tenacity because he never lost his composure playing as a freshman (especially the Rose Bowl), but the expectations of playing in NY and struggling crushed him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The past two years were not the worst roster in NFL history, nor even close.

Your premise is invalid.

Did i say that they the worst in history. It was a bad roster. Very bad in spots. You disagree?

2 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Even if you are 100% correct, it does not justify overdrafting a college prospect.  Take the top player on the board - Sewell.  If there is a fair offer then take it.  If one of the other QBs falls to the Jets at 23, then by all means - draft one. 

But we have to be bargain hunters.  Off the rack suit, not Gucci.  We are the second worst team in the NFL.  We have holes everywhere.

Sewell is not the top player on any board, fake or real. 

He’s not Chase or Pitts or Waddle or Smith. 

He’s not even Slater. 

Imagine using the 2nd pick in the whole draft on the second best tackle. 

Hahahahahahaaaaaaaa.  

Well done. 

4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

That's another MYTH I'd like to address.....

Joe Douglas is NOT going to lose his job if he doesn't take Zach Wilson in this draft. That's ludicrous. If Joe Douglas continues to draft well he's not going anywhere. Joe Douglas can take a QB whenever and he'll be forever linked to that QB. The Jets ownership and fanbase has been searching high and low to find a decent GM. It's seems like right now we may have found one? So the idea that JD doesn't draft player X makes him Mike Macagnan is simply not true. 

This is so very true.  If Douglas takes Sewell and he turns out to be a solid rookie starter then Douglas is not going to lose his job.  If he trades Sam for beans, drafts Wilson who proceeds to get hurt or fails to impress THEN he is going to get fired. 

You judge a GM by who he drafts and how they work out.  Not by what might have been.  It feels weird even writing it because it is so obviously true. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, maury77 said:

That’s the hardest part of scouting these players. A lot of them have never really dealt with adversity on a football field and you will never know how they respond until it’s too late. 1 of the biggest selling points about Darnold was his alleged tenacity because he never lost his composure playing as a freshman (especially the Rose Bowl), but the expectations of playing in NY and struggling crushed him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard this yesterday..  Point you mention around the 3:15 mark.

• Upvote 1