The Stick with Darnold Thread

20 minutes ago, genot said:

How many passes did Perriman drop last year. That's why the Jet's didn't even say goodbye. In a roundabout way, you're making my point. If the receivers aren't doing thier job, it makes it a lot harder for the QB to do his. Darnolds best receiver his last year at USC was Deontay Burnett.  Go to a quick lube in LA and he'll do an oil change for you.

He also had Michael Pittman, and his OL had Chuma Edoga and Austin Jackson. The difference between Wilson and Darnold is that when everything around Wilson goes to sh*t he doesn’t make it worse while Darnold implodes. 

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Flaccos zero wins and a total of 10 points in his first two games for sure cements this narrative that Flacco is way better than Darnold

True but if you take Darnold worst 2 games and compare them to Flacco’s worst 2 games... it’s 6 pts vs 10 pts.

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Btw, I learned in law school when someone qualifies their idiotic “opinion” with “clearly” or “obviously” or “no debate” or the like it really doesn’t move an argument forward. 

/End thread. 

See how that works? 

Let's have fun and not make it personal @Peace Frog and @clayton163v Ok!

Lawyers!

You two were just about to set a duel date whereby you guys would throw Tort Books at each other!

Let's Give Peace a Chance!  :)  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Those guys walked into much better situations. Not a fair comparison.

Mayfield joined a team that was 0-16. He saw his head coach and offensive co-ordinator get fired mid way through the season, and still set a record for most TDs by a rookie. 

Some people can over-come adversity, some can't. 

3 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Mayfield joined a team that was 0-16. He saw his head coach and offensive co-ordinator get fired mid way through the season, and still set a record for most TDs by a rookie. 

Some people can over-come adversity, some can't. 

But he he had a big dip in year two with kitchens, Mayfield and Darnold were almost on par for numbers that year only Sam had Mono, the browns had the sense to see they needed a coaching change, the jets stuck with Gase.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He also had Michael Pittman, and his OL had Chuma Edoga and Austin Jackson. The difference between Wilson and Darnold is that when everything around Wilson goes to sh*t he doesn’t make it worse while Darnold implodes. 

I’m sorry but when has everything gone to sh*t for Wilson? How can you or anyone possibly have a relatable measure between their two situations/careers. Some of these threads are running out of yarn 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

But he he had a big dip in year two with kitchens, Mayfield and Darnold were almost on par for numbers that year only Sam had Mono, the browns had the sense to see they needed a coaching change, the jets stuck with Gase.

Yes, the Jets stuck with Gase but somehow Darnold got worse. If Darnold had even flat-lined from Year 1 under Gase to Year 2, there wouldn't be a discussion. He's still be given the benefit of the doubt if he throws 19 tds 11 ints last season, but he didn't. 

They do.  
They are highly unlikely to have the #2 pick next year.  Trade down, get your haul, win 6 games and then have to give up said haul to move up next year to get a QB that likely won’t be as good a prospect.  
And now you’ve just wasted another year.  
Keeping Sam this year is just kicking the can down the road another year.  Which this team can’t afford to do.  

The only move has always been to trade Sam and take a QB.
This only makes sense if they love one of the QBs in this draft that's available at 2.

And if they love one of the QBs in this draft that's available at 2, they're going to take him. That's for sure.

And if they don't take a QB at 2, then they didn't love one of the QBs that was available at 2. That's for sure.

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

This is such ridiculous logic I have no idea where to begin.

No actually it isn't. 

This is my opinion no inside information. 

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Don’t tag me, im sorry if it’s lost on you that most of the players we signed to start were FAs on other teams.  

Thanks for the clarification

They were free agents and out of the bunch  Davis,Lawson are legit starters they would probably be starters on other teams the others I'm not so sure of. 

My opinion. 

@Jet Nut

Football message board banter where we all think we know it all and we all post our opinions. 

6 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Yes, the Jets stuck with Gase but somehow Darnold got worse. If Darnold had even flat-lined from Year 1 under Gase to Year 2, there wouldn't be a discussion. He's still be given the benefit of the doubt if he throws 19 tds 11 ints last season, but he didn't. 

Better stats would have been nice, but they really don't mean much to me.

The guy has played for 3 years with complete crap around him.  I know I'd say "f it" and make decisions you normally shouldn't.

Throwing to WRs who don't even know the routes, let alone having timing with Sam...  olines ranked dead last in pass protection, letting up pressure in 2 seconds...  the complete joke in 2019 of not even being able to snap a football.

I mean I don't know Sam is going to be a good QB, but I also don't know he's bad.  Dude has some serious patience though dealing with this organization. 

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

I can give a dozen excuses why there was the massive drop off in 2020 for Sam but you've heard them all before I presume. 

Some people have made their mind up on Sam and are willing to take any qb in this draft just to end it.

Some people like myself are willing to give him another go with no more excuses.

The nfl season moves to 17 games next year and the jets are one of two teams that never had a 4,000 yard passer in the 16 game era no matter how many QBs we selected, no matter how high we selected them in the draft.

Let's fix our problems with a qb that we believed in a few years ago, one we have treated like s***t for almost 2 years now, Sam Darnold is the best quarterback we have had for 20 years and if we don't stand by him he will embarrass us with a different team who know how to get the best of him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, K_O_Brien said:

Darnold's 17 tds, 15 ints, 57.7%, 2,865 yards in his rookie season is not great.

Jackson and Mayfield had much better rookie seasons. 

Mayfield, who many on this board lambast, went to the actual worst team in NFL history (1-31 in the two prior years) and instantly had a great rookie season. But we’re supposed to suffer through year four of the Darnold experiment. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’m sorry but when has everything gone to sh*t for Wilson? How can you or anyone possibly have a relatable measure between their two situations/careers. Some of these threads seem to running out of yarn 

That’s fair. But for Wilson, in that game his team was crap: 4 drops, a fumble by his running back, a flag that brought back a TD, a -16 yard play and what he didn’t do was make it worse. I’m comparing that to Darnold as a prospect who was the guy turning the ball over 22 times in a season. It’s not really a fair comparison but I have issue with the idea that Darnold was some grand prospect that we can’t give up on. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’m sorry but when has everything gone to sh*t for Wilson? How can you or anyone possibly have a relatable measure between their two situations/careers. Some of these threads are running out of yarn 

Double post. Originally

Edited content:

I was also specifically discussing how Wilson’s game against Coastal  is looked at as a negative by some who prop up Darnold but ignore his bad games as a prospect. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

The New York jets drafted Sam Darnold and the years before drafting him did NOTHING with the oline and NOTHING for weapons.

It's really  tough to make some of these comparisons imo.

Three years into darnolds time here we got a LT and that is it.

the jets are the poster children for how not to handle a new QB.

Sam Darnold’s starters at left and right tackle had their best years the season after they had to stop protecting Sam Darnold. 

• WTF? 1

6 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

That's another MYTH I'd like to address.....

Joe Douglas is NOT going to lose his job if he doesn't take Zach Wilson in this draft. That's ludicrous. If Joe Douglas continues to draft well he's not going anywhere. Joe Douglas can take a QB whenever and he'll be forever linked to that QB. The Jets ownership and fanbase has been searching high and low to find a decent GM. It's seems like right now we may have found one? So the idea that JD doesn't draft player X makes him Mike Macagnan is simply not true. 

you dont get it. 

if Wilson is good and Sam is sam, JD will get fired.

i haven't seen a mock draft in a month that doesn't have Wilson going 2nd. and 90% of the media think the jets should draft him. if JD goes against the majority he better be right. or he looks like the only guy who didnt think Wilson was better than sam. and the media will kill him for it.

its will be like deja vu

mac drafted Adams when he could had Mahomes or Watson...

JD passes on Wilson for sam.....

mac then picks Sam the next year...

JD is then forced to pick a QB next year......

and remember mahomes and watson didn't play much in there first year. its wasn't till year 2 that they lit it up. 

he might start looking like mac more than you think.

if he strikes out with Wilson we wont know for 3 or like you Sam fans want 4 years. that gives JD enough time to build this roster and show he knows how to draft. but if he goes with Sam and Sam sucks he will be on a hot seat. he really needed a 4th year to see what Sam is? hes suppose to be some great evaluator of talent. you should have known it was Sam and not the roster or coach. 

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

have Wilson going 2nd. and 90% of the media think the jets should draft him

90% of the NFL experts say we should stick with Sam including some draft experts.

If I was doing a mock draft in the morning I'd have the jets selecting Wilson because thats the most likely outcome, it does not mean it's the right thing to do.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

90% of the NFL experts say we should stick with Sam including some draft experts.

It's about the feel good story. 

Sam Darnold is a class act on and off the field no argument. 

If we keep Sam Darnold I hope he wins a Super Bowl if he falters early I hope JD has a decent plan B Qb who can have this team  play respectable football. 

4 hours ago, genot said:

He was a 20 yr old rookie. He had a great year as a sophomore at USC. He stumbled his junior year. It was almost a universal opinion, that his flaws we're fixable. Too bad he was drafted bu the Jet's. Anderson goes to Carolina, and explodes. Leo goes to the Giants and explodes.

So, basically, he was good for one year out of 5.

Your definition of “explodes” is a bit liberal, as well.  Anderson started the season hot and ended it with an insurmountable 3 TDs - The same as Braxton Berrios.  Leo, had a big year in his contract year.  Let’s see him maintain that.

Darnold himself probably wants to get out of NY.  The minute he throws one incomplete pass, this board is going to explode.  This is a learning experience for Darnold.  It's called accountability Sam.  You play undisciplined football, you are going to take the heat.  Don't screw up your second chance with another team.