Najee Harris at 23?

Slikmojet!

I know how we all want the team to be complete to then draft a franchise RB, I know the NFL has gone the way of the RBBC. I also know LaFleur will run the SF offense which utilizes zone blocking and athletic linemen to create gaps so that any decent runner can be productive in this system. Its just that I watch Harris and I see a 1500 yard rusher perennial probowler with the ability to catch as well as a receiver out of the backfield. A real weapon who defenses will have to account for and a game breaking guy. We have no game breakers on offense. Maybe if not at 23 then with our second rounder? I want OL really bad but Im thinking 3rd round for a couple of OGs.

• Upvote 3

I’m not sure about Harris at 23, but I think this defense is serviceable, especially by today’s nfl standards. 

this offense needs to be built. Can’t repeat the darnold mistakes. Though we could use a corner and an edge, I’m all for the first 3 picks in our draft being offense. Need to give Wilson weapons and need to protect him. Offense, offense, offense.

15 minutes ago, Slikmojet! said:

I know how we all want the team to be complete to then draft a franchise RB, I know the NFL has gone the way of the RBBC. I also know LaFleur will run the SF offense which utilizes zone blocking and athletic linemen to create gaps so that any decent runner can be productive in this system. Its just that I watch Harris and I see a 1500 yard rusher perennial probowler with the ability to catch as well as a receiver out of the backfield. A real weapon who defenses will have to account for and a game breaking guy. We have no game breakers on offense. Maybe if not at 23 then with our second rounder? I want OL really bad but Im thinking 3rd round for a couple of OGs.

I am all for Harris or Etienne at 34, but not at 23.  If this draft goes as many predict, with four QBs early, then there will be something good at 23.  Personally, I think one of the QBs or one of the top 5 wide receivers - all of whom are starters- will be there.  I am all for offense until we are stuffed.  

As I have written before.  We have three young corners who fit the scheme - two of whom were highly touted but fell solely due to injury.  We need a starting Will, but as I have written, college churns out these players since they are not rare.  There are tons of guys coming out every year who weigh 225, tackle well and can run.  We might draft a guy in the 3rd, invite four free agents and find the free agent starting and all of the other free agents making the team and/or practice squad.    

What we need on defense is cheap to acquire.  I am all for a high quality edge at 23.  But only one of the top guys.  Otherwise, I simply do not understand the argument in favor.  Mikes and Wills are cheap. 

We need to be opportunistic.  Harris or Etienne at 34 is very good value.

Our biggest need is at guard but starting grade talent can be found from the 4th and later. 

• Upvote 2

“A game breaking guy” doesn’t have a career long play of 53 yards - which he got tackled on - playing on that stacked Alabama offense. Harris is an elite compiler but he isn’t going to create but plays or stress the defense and would really, really benefit playing on an explosive offense IMO.

You did give three or four outstanding reasons not to draft him that I completely agree with early in your post, too.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, derp said:

“A game breaking guy” doesn’t have a career long play of 53 yards - which he got tackled on - playing on that stacked Alabama offense. Harris is an elite compiler but he isn’t going to create but plays or stress the defense and would really, really benefit playing on an explosive offense IMO.

You did give three or four outstanding reasons not to draft him that I completely agree with early in your post, too.

This is very flawed reasoning.  He scored 30 times this past season!  Perhaps the reason he didn't go longer than 53 yards is because he simply ran out of playing field when the end zone rudely interrupted his plays.  There are more than enough plays on this highlight video to cement him as a game breaker.  

At the end of the day, RB isn't what it used to be, but every now and then a guy like Gurley, Elliot or, going back a few more years, Tomlinson or Bell comes along and does seem to become a nightmare for opposing defenses.  It's probably a combination of the player and the team, but Harris does feel like one of those guys if he lands in the right situation.  I don't know if the Jets can be that for him or not, but I do like the player.  A lot.

• Upvote 3

Having a powerback help Tennessee make it into the playoffs but the oline stop them from making it further. A bunch of offensive weapons and great QB got KC into the super but oline injuries prevented them from winning it.
The Jets need to address the oline or it won’t matter who the QB is, the WRs are, who the TE is or who’s rushing the passer. The team lives and dies by the oline and the depth of the oline. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

I'd love taking Najy Harris at 34

It will make my 2 days at the end of April if the first 3 picks are on O as:

1) #2 Wilson or Fields

2) #23 Best Olineman available to play G or move inside from T to G

3) #34 Best Skill position at RB Harris or WR Bateman

We can then use one of our 3rd rounders on a CB and then other on another Olineman or skill position player. 

I know that leaves us down to the 4th round to pick Edge rusher, but we focused more on that with 2 DEs and a DT all that were pass rushers in FA along with the fact that this 4-3 D will make us better at pass rushing by having 4 Lineman since we never had the LBs to play the 3-4 and get any type of good pressure on the opposing Offenses.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

This is very flawed reasoning.  He scored 30 times this past season!  Perhaps the reason he didn't go longer than 53 yards is because he simply ran out of playing field when the end zone rudely interrupted his plays.  There are more than enough plays on this highlight video to cement him as a game breaker.  

At the end of the day, RB isn't what it used to be, but every now and then a guy like Gurley, Elliot or, going back a few more years, Tomlinson or Bell comes along and does seem to become a nightmare for opposing defenses.  It's probably a combination of the player and the team, but Harris does feel like one of those guys if he lands in the right situation.  I don't know if the Jets can be that for him or not, but I do like the player.  A lot.

I wholeheartedly disagree. He’s not an explosive player from a big play standpoint, and if he ran a 40 it would be obvious. He’s Le’Veon Bell or Matt Forte, not Gurley, Elliott, or Tomlinson.

You’re a smart poster. Think about how many touches he had over his career, how many have been from farther than 53 yards out, the quality of his offensive line, and the attention defenses have to give their receivers. Guys I wouldn’t call explosive have fallen into bigger plays. Most backs you look at how they are in the open field on their big runs in college to check their long speed. That opportunity doesn’t even exist with Harris.

3 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

Bro, I love his skillet, but regardless of who is under center and at RB, nothing good will happen until the O line is fixed and their are match-up dominator outside.  

And Defense is serviceable, and unlike Rex I think Saleh can actually field a good Defense without first rounders everywhere...

2, 23, and 34 ALL need to be Offense (Unlike taking a DT immediately after drafting Darnold, lol). Draft the QB and then PROTECT AND INVEST in the QB by supporting him. O Line is a must, and should be the priority after QB followed by ANOTHER legit outside weapon. 

Earliest I look at RB is 34, and only if someone like Liam E or AVT and a high end pass catching talent is taken. 

Its just not the time for a luxury like a RB.

Just my take, brother. 

You draft a premiere RB in the first round when you have a stacked roster. Drafting one behind this OL would be a waste of resources. I'd rather see them draft a CB or OLB and I'd puke if they did that too

• Upvote 1

I like the idea because I think he is special and special players are rare. We have lots of picks to pick up linemen.  You can’t say JD isn’t isn’t trying hard to sure up the offensive line.  If it turns out there is a superior OL prospect okay.   But hell I like touchdowns and cheering for breakaway runs.  Make him the pick.

If we can get Harris at 34, we’d be one lucky team. I don’t understand how Harris will not be beneficial to the QB? The best thing you can do to a rookie QB is give him a running game, especially in this system that relies heavy on play action. 

Yes, I’m aware we need OT help but I’m not going to reach if there’s no one at 23 worth having.