Najee Harris at 23?

I’m not sure about Harris at 23, but I think this defense is serviceable, especially by today’s nfl standards. 

this offense needs to be built. Can’t repeat the darnold mistakes. Though we could use a corner and an edge, I’m all for the first 3 picks in our draft being offense. Need to give Wilson weapons and need to protect him. Offense, offense, offense.
Today's nfl standard is a pass heavy league...we literally don't have a corner who would be a second string guy on another team. How is that serviceable?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It’s. Not. Happening.

The 49ers/Shanahan system don’t draft RBs early. Joe Douglas doesn’t draft RBs early. Connect the dots. Najee Harris will not be a Jet.

And that’s because you should not draft running backs early with a hard cap  

it’s the most replaceable position on the field and there are NFL caliber running backs everywhere 

• Upvote 3

Nothing helps a young QB More than an effective running game.

While I'm not sure #23 is the right spot, RB is a vital need, more so if we do draft Wilson.

Same as O-line.

What isn;t a pressing need is Defense.  At all.  And yet I expect most fans, and sadly Saleh, to want more Edge or CB at #23.

We'll see.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Today's nfl standard is a pass heavy league...we literally don't have a corner who would be a second string guy on another team. How is that serviceable?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Aw C'mon.  Both Austin and Hall carried second round grades before the injuries.  Hall likely goes in the first were it not for the injury.  Moreover, both are big press corners who fit the Saleh system which eschews man to man coverage.  Corner and defensive line are about the only solid position groups on the team.

I agree we need to add a veteran.  There are literally a pile of them available and I expect us to add one after the draft.  It's a buyer's market. 

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nothing helps a young QB More than an effective running game.

While I'm not sure #23 is the right spot, RB is a vital need, more so if we do draft Wilson.

Same as O-line.

What isn;t a pressing need is Defense.  At all.  And yet I expect most fans, and sadly Saleh, to want more Edge or CB at #23.

We'll see.

Effective running game is easy if you fix the line. Make 2 of the first 4 picks OL and I'll show you a team that can run effectively. And we don't need Najee to do it. 

10 hours ago, slats said:

I wouldn't consider a RB until Seattle's third, and even that would be a little high. Jets have way too many roster issues to spend a premium pick on a non-premium position. 

The Jets don't have way too many roster issues at all not after this free agency period. Douglas built a team and avoided the shiny object or big name FA. If we add 2 OL via the draft the offense will be in good shape if we get a QB who can actually play the position, obviously that's the key.

Adding a dynamic RB to the mix would not only open things up for the entire receiver group but would help a young Zack Wilson grow within the offense and give him a great check down. Hypothetical: if a Marshall Faulk was available would you turn him away ? I certainly would not. This myth that RB's are not Important in todays NFL is beyond stupid. The RB has so many roles in an offense and one of the biggest is running out a game when you have a small lead in the 4th quarter. If you lead by four points wouldn't it be nice to have an Emmitt Smith to run out the clock and not let a guy like Brady or Rodgers or Mahomes get that one last shot at you. Time of Possession is a huge stat because its a stat that shows you held on to the football and kept said football out of the hands of the other team. When you are playing a high powered offense sometimes that's the only way to beat them and its been proven over and over.

The DL is solid as are the LB's  and safeties and I think when we go to a zone defense under Saleh our Corners and Safeties will shine. A good NFL defense is not only about Cover Corners or Lock down corners. When it comes to playing zone it comes down to smarts and discipline . If a guy like Rankins works out this DL could be one of the best in the NFL that right there will help the secondary. CB's play in a 3 second window when in man to man mode but they very rarely make big plays because they have to focus on the receiver in a zone they cover an area on the field and get to also read the QB which leads to more big plays more Ints. 

Most of our problems were due to poor coaching especially when it comes to the young players and I think you are going to see a totally different situation this upcoming season.

With the current team we have now and 9 draft picks 5 of which are in rounds 1-3  this team can get good real quick. I expect this team to start making a move around 5-8 games into next season since they will certainly need time to learn the defense/offense and Gel. Then you add two more first round picks next year and you have a team with a great future. 

So If I had the chance to pick a Najee Harris at 23 (I don't think he will be there) I would jump all over it and add my O- line in rounds 2 and 3. A Guard/Center at 34 would and could turn the OL around Fast.

Before we say we have roster holes at this stage after whats been added in FA lets see how some of our young players fare in the scheme our coaches want to run.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

I know how we all want the team to be complete to then draft a franchise RB, I know the NFL has gone the way of the RBBC. I also know LaFleur will run the SF offense which utilizes zone blocking and athletic linemen to create gaps so that any decent runner can be productive in this system. Its just that I watch Harris and I see a 1500 yard rusher perennial probowler with the ability to catch as well as a receiver out of the backfield. A real weapon who defenses will have to account for and a game breaking guy. We have no game breakers on offense. Maybe if not at 23 then with our second rounder? I want OL really bad but Im thinking 3rd round for a couple of OGs.

I would love him at 34 and be ok with him at 23

My preference assuming QB at 2 would be WR at 23 and Harris at 34.

Take a guard early rd 3 .    Or trade back into 2 for a guard if a stud falls.

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

The Jets don't have way too many roster issues at all not after this free agency period. Douglas built a team and avoided the shiny object or big name FA. If we add 2 OL via the draft the offense will be in good shape if we get a QB who can actually play the position, obviously that's the key.

Adding a dynamic RB to the mix would not only open things up for the entire receiver group but would help a young Zack Wilson grow within the offense and give him a great check down. Hypothetical: if a Marshall Faulk was available would you turn him away ? I certainly would not. This myth that RB's are not Important in todays NFL is beyond stupid. The RB has so many roles in an offense and one of the biggest is running out a game when you have a small lead in the 4th quarter. If you lead by four points wouldn't it be nice to have an Emmitt Smith to run out the clock and not let a guy like Brady or Rodgers or Mahomes get that one last shot at you. Time of Possession is a huge stat because its a stat that shows you held on to the football and kept said football out of the hands of the other team. When you are playing a high powered offense sometimes that's the only way to beat them and its been proven over and over.

The DL is solid as are the LB's  and safeties and I think when we go to a zone defense under Saleh our Corners and Safeties will shine. A good NFL defense is not only about Cover Corners or Lock down corners. When it comes to playing zone it comes down to smarts and discipline . If a guy like Rankins works out this DL could be one of the best in the NFL that right there will help the secondary. CB's play in a 3 second window when in man to man mode but they very rarely make big plays because they have to focus on the receiver in a zone they cover an area on the field and get to also read the QB which leads to more big plays more Ints. 

Most of our problems were due to poor coaching especially when it comes to the young players and I think you are going to see a totally different situation this upcoming season.

With the current team we have now and 9 draft picks 5 of which are in rounds 1-3  this team can get good real quick. I expect this team to start making a move around 5-8 games into next season since they will certainly need time to learn the defense/offense and Gel. Then you add two more first round picks next year and you have a team with a great future. 

So If I had the chance to pick a Najee Harris at 23 (I don't think he will be there) I would jump all over it and add my O- line in rounds 2 and 3. A Guard/Center at 34 would and could turn the OL around Fast.

Before we say we have roster holes at this stage after whats been added in FA lets see how some of our young players fare in the scheme our coaches want to run.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not persuaded. At #23 I'd be targeting the OL, unless there's an Edge there that I have rated significantly higher. Then at #34, I'm looking at whatever I didn't take at #23. Between the third and fourth rounds, I'm probably hitting the OL again. Somewhere along the line they need to add a CB and probably a TE. This team just isn't in a position to use premium picks on non-premium positions - which is what RB is. Good ones are always found later in the draft. The system they're installing has regularly made stars out of late picks and street free agents. Fix the OL, and a guy like Ty Johnson could rush for 1000 yards here. 

I'm optimistic, too, that the coaching change alone should add wins. Add a rookie Edge, and the Jets might go from a decade of no pass rush to one of the best in the league. You know what helps time of possession, too? A defense that can get off the field on third down. That's why I'm spending my high picks on dudes six and a half feet tall who either get after or protect the QB, or big and/or lightening fast guys that catch the football, not average sized guys who might run a 4.55 (if they were willing to run). Using a high pick on a RB is a luxury pick. A 2-14 team can't afford that kind of luxury. 

Let's trust the coaching with the running game. It's got a track record. 

7 hours ago, RVAJet815 said:

Effective running game is easy if you fix the line. Make 2 of the first 4 picks OL and I'll show you a team that can run effectively. And we don't need Najee to do it. 

I won't argue (ever) against building a better O-line.  I'm a constant advocate for the O-line.

But no, the O-line alone doesn't make for a effective running game.  You need talent at RB as well.

If it were me, I might draft a Chubba Hubbard type later in this draft.  Our current crop of RB's simply aren't good enough IMO.

• Upvote 1

Its not so much that you don't need a good RB or that you can get one late in the draft- the record simply disproves that (Glenn from JN has repeatedly echoed that). Its that you need an O-line first. No matter how good your RB, you won't be using him to his full abilities if you have a porous line. So JD needs to continue addressing that in this draft. We're not trading down, we're not taking Sewel, we're adding a rookie QB behind center- we need to add a talented lineman.

The only thing that will change that narrative, IMO, is if a elite LB/Edge slips to 23 and JD sticks to his value chart, like Zaven Collins or Kwity Paye. But then its almost guaranteed JD takes O-line in Rd. 2- he may even move up to make sure he gets his guy.    

Rd. 3 however is where all things go out the window. The Jets have two high draft picks and could very well move down. Some of their major needs would have been addressed by now so there is some flexibility for JD. If rumors are true that they are targeting Michael Carter then that is an early 3rd round RB prospect to watch out for. I wouldn't mind that at all. This would be a good time to take a CB, IMO. 

29 minutes ago, slats said:

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not persuaded. At #23 I'd be targeting the OL, unless there's an Edge there that I have rated significantly higher. Then at #34, I'm looking at whatever I didn't take at #23. Between the third and fourth rounds, I'm probably hitting the OL again. Somewhere along the line they need to add a CB and probably a TE. This team just isn't in a position to use premium picks on non-premium positions - which is what RB is. Good ones are always found later in the draft. The system they're installing has regularly made stars out of late picks and street free agents. Fix the OL, and a guy like Ty Johnson could rush for 1000 yards here. 

I'm optimistic, too, that the coaching change alone should add wins. Add a rookie Edge, and the Jets might go from a decade of no pass rush to one of the best in the league. You know what helps time of possession, too? A defense that can get off the field on third down. That's why I'm spending my high picks on dudes six and a half feet tall who either get after or protect the QB, or big and/or lightening fast guys that catch the football, not average sized guys who might run a 4.55 (if they were willing to run). Using a high pick on a RB is a luxury pick. A 2-14 team can't afford that kind of luxury. 

Let's trust the coaching with the running game. It's got a track record. 

I pretty much agree with you. However, its not true that you can find a good RB in the later rounds. That is simply not fact once you look into it. But yes, theoretically, the system the Jets will be putting in place, if supported by talented linemen, will allow for average RBs to be highly productive. 

This is a list of starting RBs going into last year- one for every team. Only 4 were drafted outside of the first 4 rounds (to your point one was on the Packers and one was on the Niners!). Only 6 were drafted out side of Rd. 3. Most of these guys went in the first 3 rounds. And the ELITE RB's are clearly gone by Rd 2. Barkley, McCaffrey, Elliott, Henry, Chubb, even Cook, Sanders and Helaire. The only exception is Kamara and he was taken not too far behind in Rd. 3. 

*I know, what about James Robinson and isn't he so great. Well, he's one of these exceptions which will always happen like Mostert and Ekeler and Carson.  

Miles Sanders- 2nd Round

Ronald jones- 2nd round

Sony Michel- 31st overall

Raheem Mostert- UDFA* Niners! 

Cam Akers- 2nd round

Adrian Peterson- 7th overall

David Johnson- 3rd round

Devin Singletary- 3rd round

Tarik Cohen- 4th Round

D'Andre Swift- 2nd round

Todd Gurley- 10th pick

Marlon Mack- 4th round

Melvin Gordon- 1st round

Clyde-Edwards H.- 1st round

Austin Ekeler- UDFA*

Leveon Bell- 2nd round 

James Conner- 3rd round

Chris Carson- 7th round*

Mark Ingram- 1st round

Kenyan Drake- 3rd round

Josh Jacobs- 1st round

Leonard Fournette- 1st round

Joe Mixon- 2nd round

Aaron Jones- 5th Round* Packers! 

Dalvin Cook- 2nd Round

Nick Chubb- 2nd round

Alvin Kamara- 3rd round

Derrick Henry-2nd Round

Ezekiel Elliott- 1st Round 

S. Barkley- 1st Round

Chris McCaffrey- 1st round

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I won't argue (ever) against building a better O-line.  I'm a constant advocate for the O-line.

But no, the O-line alone doesn't make for a effective running game.  You need talent at RB as well.

If it were me, I might draft a Chubba Hubbard type later in this draft.  Our current crop of RB's simply aren't good enough IMO.

Well we're going to find out. The Shanahan system basically collects RB who do a particular thing well (catching/ Blocking/ zone runner). Elite Backs are great and all but you're not going to see them in this offense very often. You can see it in the RBBC they're putting together with Coleman, Perine, Etc. Personally I think a guy like Khalil Herbert or Sermon is a great fit for this offense. And easily a day 2 or even 3 pick

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I pretty much agree with you. However, its not true that you can find a good RB in the later rounds. That is simply not fact once you look into it. But yes, theoretically, the system the Jets will be putting in place, if supported by talented linemen, will allow for average RBs to be highly productive. 

This is a list of starting RBs going into last year- one for every team. Only 4 were drafted outside of the first 4 rounds (to your point one was on the Packers and one was on the Niners!). Only 6 were drafted out side of Rd. 3. Most of these guys went in the first 3 rounds. And the ELITE RB's are clearly gone by Rd 2. Barkley, McCaffrey, Elliott, Henry, Chubb, even Cook, Sanders and Helaire. The only exception is Kamara and he was taken not too far behind in Rd. 3. 

*I know, what about James Robinson and isn't he so great. Well, he's one of these exceptions which will always happen like Mostert and Ekeler and Carson.  

Miles Sanders- 2nd Round

Ronald jones- 2nd round

Sony Michel- 31st overall

Raheem Mostert- UDFA* Niners! 

Cam Akers- 2nd round

Adrian Peterson- 7th overall

David Johnson- 3rd round

Devin Singletary- 3rd round

Tarik Cohen- 4th Round

D'Andre Swift- 2nd round

Todd Gurley- 10th pick

Marlon Mack- 4th round

Melvin Gordon- 1st round

Clyde-Edwards H.- 1st round

Austin Ekeler- UDFA*

Leveon Bell- 2nd round 

James Conner- 3rd round

Chris Carson- 7th round*

Mark Ingram- 1st round

Kenyan Drake- 3rd round

Josh Jacobs- 1st round

Leonard Fournette- 1st round

Joe Mixon- 2nd round

Aaron Jones- 5th Round* Packers! 

Dalvin Cook- 2nd Round

Nick Chubb- 2nd round

Alvin Kamara- 3rd round

Derrick Henry-2nd Round

Ezekiel Elliott- 1st Round 

S. Barkley- 1st Round

Chris McCaffrey- 1st round

So the Jets are covered, then, with Coleman going in the third and Perine in the fourth? 

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It’s. Not. Happening.

The 49ers/Shanahan system don’t draft RBs early. Joe Douglas doesn’t draft RBs early. Connect the dots. Najee Harris will not be a Jet.

I agree, but sure would be cool if he did end up going Rb This draft that it was a good athlete. Perine is meh and they seem to be sniffing around Khalil Herbert who is also kind of mediocre overall. 

23 is a great spot for Najee Harris, if you otherwise had an OL.

23 is not the Jets’ natural pick.  It is Seattle’s pick.    The Jets need a roster to get to a place where you can pick a RB at 23.  A RB at 23 is basically a 4-5 year rental and disposal.  The Jets don’t need to waste a year of that on a team that can’t block. 

I agree that the CBs are functional.  They are not hopeless.  The Gs are hopeless.  So are the LBs.

So if the BPA in the 20s/30s/40s is a RB you take him you otherwise have a solid team.  Otherwise the Jets can find someone in the 3rd or 4th round.   

At 23 you take the best BPA of Edge, CB, OL and maybe WR.  Then you fill needs.  

14 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Etienne or Harris improves the offense immediately and also helps the passing game regardless of who the QB turns out to be. 

No. Just no. That was the argument for signing Bell. How did that work out? The NFL is moving away from bell cow backs. It’s the age of RBBC.  RBs are rarely drafted in the first round and when they are, it’s a SB contender looking for the last piece for the offense, not the first. RBs have such a short shelf life - 4-5 years - that it makes no sense for a rebuilding team to waste draft assets on the position. Throw in that the SF system is built on using multiple RBs , none of whom are top picks. I would put the chances of the Jets drafting a RB with 23 or 34 at virtually 0%, and that is justifiably the absolute right thing.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I agree, but sure would be cool if he did end up going Rb This draft that it was a good athlete. Perine is meh and they seem to be sniffing around Khalil Herbert who is also kind of mediocre overall. 

Most athletic RB available in round 3.  I'm good with it.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Harris is going to be on the board at 23 and Douglas is going to trade down.  The disappointed tears here will be delicious.  

The only disappointed tears from me will be when we draft Wilson at #2, and follow it up with a CB, then and Edge, then a LB with the next three picks.

Insanity, same thing, over and over, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The only disappointed tears from me will be when we draft Wilson at #2, and follow it up with a CB, then and Edge, then a LB with the next three picks.

I'm OK with a defensive player with our next pick after # 2.  But if we're still drafting defensive player(s) in round 2, I'll be right there with you.  The offensive sweet spot in this draft are the rd 2/3 range.  Make use of those picks there.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ya. We need IOL, WR, TE, T, RB. 

Let Saleh coach up what he’s got. 

For once build a damn offense. 

• Upvote 1