Whats on the Easter menu? Easter traditions?

Start the day with Matzah Brie as always.  Lovely that Easter falls during Passover every year.  I used to go to my in-laws every year and watch everyone tear into lasagna and shells.  Over the years I learned to compromise.  I get to eat all that and I agree not to worship any golden idols.  The deal was that if G-d was upset he'd drop some plagues again.  

Oh...

Maybe I shouldn't have that third serving this year?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Pizza Rustica. Some call it Easter Pie. Merely for tradition, plus it is absolutely delicious. Don't really celebrate this anymore because I don't really see why we need two holidays a year centered on candy and zombies, and we prefer Halloween. 

We make pizza gain its ham, pepperoni,ricotta,parmesan,eggs in between dough. 

Made 8 of them Friday night family and friends look forward to this yearly tradition. 

*picture off google looks the same 

image.png.f18ee9f457d0d558532dab22b75fd093.png

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Bacalao al pil pil. Salted cod with pil pil sauce.

Salted cod with garlic, olive oil and pepper, you mix the juices that the cod releases and the olive oil to create a thick emulsion that is called pil pil.

bacalao-pilpil-e1491084486535.jpg

Torrijas, slices of bread soaked in milk, coated in egg and fried. Then topped with sugar, cinnamon or honey.

a8NwJRlM0BE72niib_aV8dbZPyrsilNwwZqVklg3

• Upvote 1

Easter is brunch this year as kids had to head out by 1:00. 

Quiche pirogies bacon smashed crisp baby potatoes kielbasa fruit salad. Gallons of mimosas. 

Easter dinner was last night—short rib ragu over paccheri. Slow cooked for 5 hours, melted like butter. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Pizza Rustica. Some call it Easter Pie. Merely for tradition, plus it is absolutely delicious. 

Haven’t made that in a year or 2, I gotta make one soon. 

6 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I don't really see why we need two holidays a year centered on candy and zombies, and we prefer Halloween. 

That escalated quickly. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

A down vote for my Easter dinner?  lol  Must be PITA related.  Well the duck was crispy and fell off the bone and the Focaccia did not survive the feast.

The Gooch has no rhyme or reason. ?

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, clayton163v said:

A down vote for my Easter dinner?  lol  Must be PITA related.  Well the duck was crispy and fell off the bone and the Focaccia did not survive the feast.

Did you roast a whole duck or duck breasts?  I've never been adventourous enough to do a whle duck (weird, I've cooked a million chickens and turkeys to different ways and done duck breasts) but this year my local supermarket was giving away free ducks for the holiday and I almost went for it.  Dang.

9 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Did you roast a whole duck or duck breasts?  I've never been adventourous enough to do a whle duck (weird, I've cooked a million chickens and turkeys to different ways and done duck breasts) but this year my local supermarket was giving away free ducks for the holiday and I almost went for it.  Dang.

Whole duck.  The secret is to par-boil the duck to rend the fat.  Then you crisp it in the oven to a nice golden brown and serve with Orange sauce.  The par-boil makes the duck tender and it comes right off the bone.  The flavor is strong enough to survive the process.  Try it.  It is both simple and effective.

Plus the rended duck fat is useful for a whole variety of recipes.  It is a staple ingredient in french cooking.

12 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Whole duck.  The secret is to par-boil the duck to rend the fat.  Then you crisp it in the oven to a nice golden brown and serve with Orange sauce.  The par-boil makes the duck tender and it comes right off the bone.  The flavor is strong enough to survive the process.  Try it.  It is both simple and effective.

Plus the rended duck fat is useful for a whole variety of recipes.  It is a staple ingredient in french cooking.

Thanks, gotta try that. Yeah I’ve used duck fat for confit but I’ve never rendered enough of it myself. Just what comes out of two breasts. 

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

Thanks, gotta try that. Yeah I’ve used duck fat for confit but I’ve never rendered enough of it myself. Just what comes out of two breasts. 

Make sure to give it a good boil.  It really works and allows you to bake it to a crisp without drying the meat.