Jump to content

Whats on the Easter menu? Easter traditions?


Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I went on a binge of early/mid 90’s Simpsons over the last few weeks. Unparalleled in how amazing it was.

Best show of all time.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Start the day with Matzah Brie as always.  Lovely that Easter falls during Passover every year.  I used to go to my in-laws every year and watch everyone tear into lasagna and shells.  Over the years I learned to compromise.  I get to eat all that and I agree not to worship any golden idols.  The deal was that if G-d was upset he'd drop some plagues again.  

Oh...

Maybe I shouldn't have that third serving this year?

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Pizza Rustica. Some call it Easter Pie. Merely for tradition, plus it is absolutely delicious. Don't really celebrate this anymore because I don't really see why we need two holidays a year centered on candy and zombies, and we prefer Halloween. 

We make pizza gain its ham, pepperoni,ricotta,parmesan,eggs in between dough. 

Made 8 of them Friday night family and friends look forward to this yearly tradition. 

*picture off google looks the same 

image.png.f18ee9f457d0d558532dab22b75fd093.png

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

- Brown sugar  glazed ham with pineapple slices.

- Baked Scalloped Potatoes 

- Sliced Carrots 

- Pistachio Fluff Salad garnished with maraschino cherries on top. 

- Empire State of Mind NEIPA Tangerine Sour

 

Happy Easter!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bacalao al pil pil. Salted cod with pil pil sauce.

Salted cod with garlic, olive oil and pepper, you mix the juices that the cod releases and the olive oil to create a thick emulsion that is called pil pil.

bacalao-pilpil-e1491084486535.jpg

 

Torrijas, slices of bread soaked in milk, coated in egg and fried. Then topped with sugar, cinnamon or honey.

a8NwJRlM0BE72niib_aV8dbZPyrsilNwwZqVklg3

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Easter is brunch this year as kids had to head out by 1:00. 

Quiche pirogies bacon smashed crisp baby potatoes kielbasa fruit salad. Gallons of mimosas. 

Easter dinner was last night—short rib ragu over paccheri. Slow cooked for 5 hours, melted like butter. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just the wife and I this year so it's ham steaks instead of a full ham. Mash potatoes, asparagus, fresh rolls and orange with fruit jello round out the days food.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Pizza Rustica. Some call it Easter Pie. Merely for tradition, plus it is absolutely delicious. 

Haven’t made that in a year or 2, I gotta make one soon. 

6 hours ago, JetPotato said:

 I don't really see why we need two holidays a year centered on candy and zombies, and we prefer Halloween. 

That escalated quickly. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

You having ham or leg of lamb?

Lamb  &  Turkey  😎..

Girl-Statue-on-Easter-Table-1-1024x683.j

 

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not religious, but I like to keep family traditions alive.

Breakfast is the key. We have Zurek (Polish sour rye soup), kielbasa, hard boiled eggs, vegetable salad, rye bread, and a meat and cheese platter.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jago said:

my wifes late uncle was ukraine and he always brought kielbasa from nyc. we did that with hb eggs and plenty of horseradish.
great man much missed.

he was ukraine? what an honor.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

Roast Duck with homemade Orange sauce and homemade Focaccia bread.

A down vote for my Easter dinner?  lol  Must be PITA related.  Well the duck was crispy and fell off the bone and the Focaccia did not survive the feast.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

A down vote for my Easter dinner?  lol  Must be PITA related.  Well the duck was crispy and fell off the bone and the Focaccia did not survive the feast.

The Gooch has no rhyme or reason. 🤣

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
he was ukraine? what an honor.

ukraine strong! if you get the seinfeld reference that man on the subway was basically my wifes grandfather.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I'm off sugar my three traditional foods, peeps and Chocolate bunnies and eggs were not on the menu.  While not religious this passover began my new diet.  I look at it as the last supper.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, clayton163v said:

A down vote for my Easter dinner?  lol  Must be PITA related.  Well the duck was crispy and fell off the bone and the Focaccia did not survive the feast.

Did you roast a whole duck or duck breasts?  I've never been adventourous enough to do a whle duck (weird, I've cooked a million chickens and turkeys to different ways and done duck breasts) but this year my local supermarket was giving away free ducks for the holiday and I almost went for it.  Dang.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Did you roast a whole duck or duck breasts?  I've never been adventourous enough to do a whle duck (weird, I've cooked a million chickens and turkeys to different ways and done duck breasts) but this year my local supermarket was giving away free ducks for the holiday and I almost went for it.  Dang.

Whole duck.  The secret is to par-boil the duck to rend the fat.  Then you crisp it in the oven to a nice golden brown and serve with Orange sauce.  The par-boil makes the duck tender and it comes right off the bone.  The flavor is strong enough to survive the process.  Try it.  It is both simple and effective.

Plus the rended duck fat is useful for a whole variety of recipes.  It is a staple ingredient in french cooking.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Whole duck.  The secret is to par-boil the duck to rend the fat.  Then you crisp it in the oven to a nice golden brown and serve with Orange sauce.  The par-boil makes the duck tender and it comes right off the bone.  The flavor is strong enough to survive the process.  Try it.  It is both simple and effective.

Plus the rended duck fat is useful for a whole variety of recipes.  It is a staple ingredient in french cooking.

 

 

Thanks, gotta try that. Yeah I’ve used duck fat for confit but I’ve never rendered enough of it myself. Just what comes out of two breasts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

Thanks, gotta try that. Yeah I’ve used duck fat for confit but I’ve never rendered enough of it myself. Just what comes out of two breasts. 

Make sure to give it a good boil.  It really works and allows you to bake it to a crisp without drying the meat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...