If Your HC and OC Are Telling You They Can Fix Darnold, Then You...

43 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

really? so you hire a highly touted head coach and OC and then you laugh in their face and go against their wishes on who they want at qb? that would be pretty dumb

IDK, neither Saleh, or Lefleur looked very unhappy at Wilson's Pro Day.

When they first got here they probably had the feeling that if they had to they could turn Darnold around.  They have since had the opportunity  to watch Wilson's game films for the last few months.  IMO they are all in step with Wilson. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Point and laugh then draft a QB?

If Your HC and OC Are Telling You They Can Fix Darnold, Then You...   Realize that you hired a bunch of idiots. 

really? so you hire a highly touted head coach and OC and then you laugh in their face and go against their wishes on who they want at qb? that would be pretty dumb

Posted Images

Just now, flgreen said:

IDK, neither Saleh, or Lefleur looked very unhappy at Wilson's Pro Day.

When they first got here they probably had the feeling that if they had to they could turn Darnold around.  They have since had the opportunity  to watch Wilson's game films for the last few months.  IMO they are all in step with Wilson. 

yeah i was under the impression this was mostly hypothetical

If Costello’s reports are true then Douglas is in quite the quandary.  Apparently Saleh and LeFleur like Darnold and think he is fixable and can thrive in their system.  If they are right, the timeline for making this team competitive just sped up a year or two.  With the haul you can get for the #2 pick, you can address IOL (x2), CB (x2), Edge, WR, RB, LB and TE. In the next two seasons.  That is not to suggest that every pick will be a hit, but the likelihood that the team would improve with all those selections increases dramatically.
So what do you do if you’re Douglas?  Will this cause a rift between coach and GM?  The good news is the Johnsons will have no say in this.
This is no quandary. If Saleh wants Darnold, that's who Saleh gets. Now, if JD truly likes Zach Wilson and must have him, he takes him. That's called hedging his bets. He's betting that Saleh can fix Darnold and he's covered on the back end in case Darnold does not work out. The only posters on this site that don't want Darnold back are the ones that are afraid DARNOLD would win a fair QB battle in training camp. Joe Douglas is going to do what his HC wants. Joe Douglas hired Robert Saleh because he trusts the guys in his employ. That's logical.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Flacco looked better

Probably because he has been in the league a thousand years and was able to weed through Gase's absurd and complicated play calling to a semblance of success.

• Thumb Down 1
15 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Well good thing that this isn’t the same situation thanks to upgrades via Free Agency.

WR corps looks to have some meat on the bones & though the OL, atm, looks disgustingly the same as last year, you have to expect JD will attack that early with premium picks & at least make for a competitive & decent young Ol group. Far cry from 2018 & 2019’s groups respectively...

Darnold is as seasoned as my mom’s portion of the thanksgiving meals. horrid & bland. 3 years in & makes the same mistakes as he did when he was a rookie, so you might as well actually draft & play a rookie in that case. 

I also think you can make the argument that Wilson is more well versed in what the LaFleur playbook will ask of him than we think. BYU ran a good portion of the Shanahan scheme as well.

Well good thing you don’t get a say.

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

If Costello’s reports are true then Douglas is in quite the quandary.  Apparently Saleh and LeFleur like Darnold and think he is fixable and can thrive in their system.  If they are right, the timeline for making this team competitive just sped up a year or two.  With the haul you can get for the #2 pick, you can address IOL (x2), CB (x2), Edge, WR, RB, LB and TE. In the next two seasons.  That is not to suggest that every pick will be a hit, but the likelihood that the team would improve with all those selections increases dramatically.

So what do you do if you’re Douglas?  Will this cause a rift between coach and GM?  The good news is the Johnsons will have no say in this.

you mean your rookie HC and first time OC?  Yeah they have a great track record of fixing broken quarterbacks.  Yeah, no sorry, if I'm JD, I say stick to the coaching and let me decide who can and can't be fixed, especially since he has seen Darnold up close for the last 2 years and they haven't.   I think they have enough on their plates as it is.  They don't have time to become the quarterback whisperer. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

highly touted FIRST TIME head coach and OC.   I may not laugh but it is not like they have any kind of track record in this area.   Allowing them to make that call would be pretty dumb especially when JD has seen Darnold perform in person these last few years.   Now if JD thinks he can be fixed, that is a different story. 

• Upvote 1

Why is every pro Darnold report taken as the gospel? 

Anyways I highly doubt our newly hired OC and HC aren’t in lockstep with JD on this QB decision.

The NYJ are trying to good cop bad cop this situation so that our exposed interest in Zach won’t completely nuke Sams trade value. Remember these reports surfaced after the 9ers trade.

Saleh is yet to publicly commit to Darnold but Steve young says that the Jets are “recruiting Zach’s family”. I’m sure the HC and OC are a big part of that recruitment 

• Upvote 2
24 minutes ago, Larz said:

I wonder why the jets would leak that they like Wilson AND Darnold. It’s such a mystery 

if this is actually true, it’s not negative. It’s positive. It means they have options. 

the. NFL is hyper competitive. Don’t forget that Gase brought JD in, JD gutted the roster and fired Gase. Then he was able to recruit very highly thought of coaches. It’s not like that gave him a red flag.  There is no reason that this would create a rift or a problem. 

they are big boys 

Historically, the Jets haven't leaked ANYTHING since Joe Douglas became GM. Many folks are assuming the rumor that Douglas wants Wilson and the coaching staff wants Darnold to be true. If it is, it will be the first true rumor of Douglas's tenure. I think it's far more likely that Douglas and coaching staff have reached a consensus (whatever that might be). If the coaches really are saying they prefer Darnold, it may be just posturing. Or not. Either way, it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

• Upvote 2
38 minutes ago, Larz said:

I wonder why the jets would leak that they like Wilson AND Darnold. It’s such a mystery 

if this is actually true, it’s not negative. It’s positive. It means they have options. 

the. NFL is hyper competitive. Don’t forget that Gase brought JD in, JD gutted the roster and fired Gase. Then he was able to recruit very highly thought of coaches. It’s not like that gave him a red flag.  There is no reason that this would create a rift or a problem. 

they are big boys 

Gives Jets leverage in trade talks for him. Shows that Douglas isn’t desperate to move him. He did the same with Jamal where he essentially said he’ll keep him for the season if he didn’t get the offer he wanted 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If you asked me what I would prefer - the answer from any Jets fans should be Darnold doing a 180.

Anyone who answers differently needs a slap and to take the dog for a walk. ...Preferring doesn’t mean you have to believe it’s “likely”...(it can seem nearly impossible) but if one had a preference - it should be that Jets don’t need a redo and can immediately invest all assets into skill players and trench men. I hope like my pink crocs thread advocated, that we can embrace whatever outcome befalls us and give Rob/Mike some benefit of the doubt...

In other words if the coaching staff say - we got this, then ok. I’m willing to be optimistic. Maybe some of you should bury your dead and give it a shot too. 

No.

I find it funny that soooo many people think that Saleh and Lefluer actually like Sammy. Why? Because he has been going around doing interviews saying that Sammy is good???

Hahaha what is he supposed to say? He ran the company line just like he is supposed to. He is supporting the team agenda.

You are a little naive if you think he gave anything other than what it is in his own and team's best interest.

There is no one at odds about the next step.

Sent from the NY Jets Draft Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

It really should be obvious to everyone that if they are staying at # 2 THEY ARE DRAFTING A QUARTERBACK.  If they were going to trade the pick they probably would have done so by now.  Not saying they still can't move back especially if someone blows them away with an offer.   In that scenario, they would have no choice but to try and coach up Sam so it stands to reason that they have let it be known, that if we go in that direction they are okay going into next year with Darnold.   They also realize that if they do plan to take a quarterback, they need to at least try and maintain some value in Darnold by stating they feel he can be "fixed" and become a solid starting quarterback.  I mean if you want to move someone isn't that the message you want to put out?  Or rather the CS say he "sucks" and can't wait until he is off the team?   

• Like 1

This discussion was part of the interview process. They agreed on the issue prior to JD hiring RS. The coaching staff talking up Sam is part of getting the most they can for Sam. You don't sell him in a trade by saying he sucks ass. You sell him in a trade by leaking that the coaching staff can fix him and wants him. You try selling that it isn't that we lost faith in him, it's simply a matter of economics and resetting the qb rookie contract clock as part of the rebuild.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

I find it funny that soooo many people think that Saleh and Lefluer actually like Sammy. Why? Because he has been going around doing interviews saying that Sammy is good???

Hahaha what is he supposed to say? He ran the company line just like he is supposed to. He is supporting the team agenda.

You are a little naive if you think he gave anything other than what it is in his own and team's best interest.

There is no one at odds about the next step.

Sent from the NY Jets Draft Suicide Watch desk.

Imagine if Robert Saleh immediately after being named HC said Sam Darnold sucks and we need to find a new QB immediately. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If you asked me what I would prefer - the answer from any Jets fans should be Darnold doing a 180.

Anyone who answers differently needs a slap and to take the dog for a walk. ...Preferring doesn’t mean you have to believe it’s “likely”...(it can seem nearly impossible) but if one had a preference - it should be that Jets don’t need a redo and can immediately invest all assets into skill players and trench men. I hope like my pink crocs thread advocated, that we can embrace whatever outcome befalls us and give Rob/Mike some benefit of the doubt...

In other words if the coaching staff say - we got this, then ok. I’m willing to be optimistic. Maybe some of you should bury your dead and give it a shot too. 

Best case is catching some Russell Wilson/Dak Prescott/Jalen Hurts lightning in a bottle IMO. Assumes a good trade offer at 8.

I still don’t get this idea that they started leaning keeping Darnold, his value dipped, value of the #2 pick rose (even setting Wilson’s pro day aside, SF moving up for a QB and giving up that package had to help), and somehow they are now more likely to trade the asset that’s decreased in value than the one that increased in value. It could be Wilson now but if it is then it has been all along IMO.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

is that who they want or who they are okay rolling with because they think he’s fixable. I think there’s more layers that need to be mentioned in a situation like this.

Such as?

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

So we should "want" something that is essentially impossible. Got it. Go back to any Gameday thread and Darnold is just curcified and the most hated Jet on the team. You will also see I defended him vociferously. But he is not the guy. Sticking with Darnold is flat our idiotic. The worst QB in the NFL does not become elite with better weapons. He becomes Mark Sanchez. That is literally his ceiling

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

Cimini said the same thing on one of his latest podcasts. 

• Upvote 1

If Your HC and OC Are Telling You They Can Fix Darnold, Then You...

A. Fire the HC and OC

B. Fire the GM who disagrees with them

C. Create a Training Camp Steel Cage match between the Fiery Ginger and the Mormon Missile

I choose...

200w.gif.9fbe9d13c6a8f257986848d90eb86963.gif

...and think Wilson will eventually win.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

So we should "want" something that is essentially impossible. Got it. Go back to any Gameday thread and Darnold is just curcified and the most hated Jet on the team. You will also see I defended him vociferously. But he is not the guy. Sticking with Darnold is flat our idiotic. The worst QB in the NFL does not become elite with better weapons. He becomes Mark Sanchez. That is literally his ceiling

Honestly I don't see him being as good as Mark Sanchez was way too many red flags. 

27 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m taking what Saleh and laflour evaluation of talent much higher then JD...think he’s more of a cap space gm then a talent gm 

He worked 15 years with Ozzie Newsome he's more then a cap space GM..

• Upvote 3
7 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

This discussion was part of the interview process. They agreed on the issue prior to JD hiring RS. The coaching staff talking up Sam is part of getting the most they can for Sam. You don't sell him in a trade by saying he sucks ass. You sell him in a trade by leaking that the coaching staff can fix him and wants him. You try selling that it isn't that we lost faith in him, it's simply a matter of economics and resetting the qb rookie contract clock as part of the rebuild.

Thissssss

Regardless of anything the media says the NYJ know that the tape won’t lie.

When teams turn the tape on and breakdown Darnold’s play without any bias the conclusion is: terrible QB in a terrible situation 

This is where the excuses and Gase scapegoating comes in, hoping to sucker someone into overpaying for a “project” QB

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Over your head. Like miles over... but it’s all good. I knew when typed it that wasn’t going to land with the Zach Manson clan. There’s nothing anyone could possibly say that would have you waver on posting what you just did.