If Your HC and OC Are Telling You They Can Fix Darnold, Then You...

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Point and laugh then draft a QB?

If Your HC and OC Are Telling You They Can Fix Darnold, Then You...   Realize that you hired a bunch of idiots. 

really? so you hire a highly touted head coach and OC and then you laugh in their face and go against their wishes on who they want at qb? that would be pretty dumb

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If you think Wilson has a lot of red flags, just wait until next year when the top QBs are discount Baker Mayfield and USCs next “great” thing.

Oh and, better yet, you’ll have to likely trade up for one of them too!

But what if a college QB who is not currently on the NFL’s radar emerges from nowhere to put up good stats against a weak schedule and Chris Simms likes him next year?

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Why is every pro Darnold report taken as the gospel? 

Anyways I highly doubt our newly hired OC and HC aren’t in lockstep with JD on this QB decision.

The NYJ are trying to good cop bad cop this situation so that our exposed interest in Zach won’t completely nuke Sams trade value. Remember these reports surfaced after the 9ers trade.

Saleh is yet to publicly commit to Darnold but Steve young says that the Jets are “recruiting Zach’s family”. I’m sure the HC and OC are a big part of that recruitment 

The Jets are trying to trade Sam. If they let out that they don't believe he's a viable option at the position going forward, that will either give other teams pause or reduce what they will be willing to give up for him.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, football guy said:

I don’t think it will happen, but my personal opinion is that the team should be more open to keeping both Darnold and Wilson if they were to select him #2. 

If we’re to see Wilson truly develop properly, I don’t think he shouldn’t be the team’s assumed starter in 2021. I also think the coaches deserve to work with Darnold if they want to while trying to get the most out of him and ultimately the team. 

If Darnold “knocks it out of the park” (as McCown put it), the Jets can franchise tag and trade him in 2022, or franchise him with sights on starting him for another season.

I never understood this shift towards forcing rookie QBs to play right away. Yes, a player has to play at some point in order to advance their development, but the notion that development only happens in-game is laughable. 

I agree wholeheartedly on the forcing rookie QBs to play immediately issue.  I feel like the shift occurred as QB salaries were exploding and the rookie wage scale was implemented.  Everyone then became obsessed with winning while your QB was still on his rookie deal, therefore you had to play the QB sooner to get the most bang for your buck until he gets paid.  

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

But what if a college QB who is not currently on the NFL’s radar emerges from nowhere to put up good stats against a weak schedule and Chris Simms likes him next year?

Yea, well... this guy came out of nowhere, it worked out pretty well for everyone... soooooooo

Prince Ali GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

Coaches think they can fix everything.  This is why its problematic allowing them to have too much of a say in buying the groceries.  They're not scouting collegiate talent all year.  The front office is.  Certainly listen to feedback from your coaches.  But use the privilege of your position to overrule it.  Because that's your job.  

• Upvote 2
21 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If you think Wilson has a lot of red flags, just wait until next year when the top QBs are discount Baker Mayfield and USCs next “great” thing.

If Darnold is as bad as everyone here says he is then a trade up won’t be necessary. They’ll be picking top 3 again April 2022, right? 

And I’m pretty sure in saying this. No draft person had Wilson as a top 10 pick QB for 2021 prior to at least August? 

Just as no one had Burrows Aug 2019 as a top prospect. 

• Upvote 4

Been saying it for months, and people are finally starting to come around...

Draft Wilson and keep Darnold for one more year. The rookie can get eased in slowly instead of being rushed from day 1. Darnold gets a chance to re-establish himself in a new QB friendly system and either gets traded at the deadline or fetches a nice comp pick when he walks in free agency.

It's the obvious move if you take emotions out of it and remain objective. Darnold is young, cheap, and offers much more upside than any other retread veteran out there. Wilson gets groomed properly like many other successful quarterbacks out there.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, football guy said:

I don’t think it will happen, but my personal opinion is that the team should be more open to keeping both Darnold and Wilson if they were to select him #2. 

If we’re to see Wilson truly develop properly, I don’t think he shouldn’t be the team’s assumed starter in 2021. I also think the coaches deserve to work with Darnold if they want to while trying to get the most out of him and ultimately the team. 

If Darnold “knocks it out of the park” (as McCown put it), the Jets can franchise tag and trade him in 2022, or franchise him with sights on starting him for another season.

I never understood this shift towards forcing rookie QBs to play right away. Yes, a player has to play at some point in order to advance their development, but the notion that development only happens in-game is laughable. 

You can sign a bridge QB to handle that job.  It doesn't have to be Darnold, and it shouldn't be.  Not when a 2nd or 3rd round pick is likely on the table in a Darnold trade.  

Just now, T0mShane said:

Ok and say the Jets are picking at 10 next year. Now you have to give up something similar to what San Francisco just did to get to #3 (or what we gave up to move up in 2018). Are you willing to do that? Wouldn't it be better to just take the QB now while the cost is significantly less?

In my opinion you take the QB now. You don't wait. Maccagnan held off on taking one in 2017, and look where it got us.

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Likewise & impressive rebuttal per usual.

Sorry I’m not gonna waste my time to argue with someone who has already made up his mind and not open to an actual discussion per usual, have a Happy Easter.

1 hour ago, Irktusk1957 said:

Probably because he has been in the league a thousand years and was able to weed through Gase's absurd and complicated play calling to a semblance of success.

Darnold couldn't run plays effectively at USC or under Bates.  What was the excuse then, again?

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Ok and say the Jets are picking at 10 next year. Now you have to give up something similar to what San Francisco just did to get to #3 (or what we gave up to move up in 2018). Are you willing to do that? Wouldn't it be better to just take the QB now while the cost is significantly less?

In my opinion you take the QB now. You don't wait. Maccagnan held off on taking one in 2017, and look where it got us.

Why 10th if Darnold is so bad? 

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

You skipped 2020

Trubisky threw for 3000 yards, 17 tds and 10 int and went 8-7 as a starter in 2019. He just signed as a backup to Josh Allen for $2.5 million. Tell me again how 2019 matters.

How we conveniently forget Trubisky was handed a top 5 defense and a retooled offense something the Jets haven’t had since 1998.

• Upvote 3
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold couldn't run plays effectively at USC or under Bates.  What was the excuse then, again?

Wasn’t he one of the highest rated QBs the last 4-5 weeks of his rookie year? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Wasn’t he one of the highest rated QBs the last 4-5 weeks of his rookie year? 

You mean similar to Geno Smith the final 4 games of his rookie year?  Sure.

• Haha 1
Just now, C Mart said:

Why 10th if Darnold is so bad? 

Yes let's keep Sam in hopes of not picking in the top 3, but remaining in the top 10.

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I’d respond by saying that of the top ten QBs in the NFL last season, only two of them (Josh Allen, 7; Kyler Murray, 1) were drafted in the top ten. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-ranking-the-59-starting-quarterbacks-of-the-2020-nfl-season

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If I was a brand new head coach, I’d want two bites at the apple instead of one. They can spend one year trying to make a 24 year old former top prospect work, then try again next year if Darnold sucks, or they can push all their chips in right away on Zach Wilson, who has a bunch of red flags. 

And if I'm a GM, I say "f**k you, we're not passing on a 2nd/3rd round pick to give Darnold a 4th season.  Figure it out with Wilson, Morgan, and a veteran."

Just now, T0mShane said:

I’d respond by saying that of the top ten QBs in the NFL last season, only two of them (Josh Allen, 7; Kyler Murray, 1) were drafted in the top ten. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-ranking-the-59-starting-quarterbacks-of-the-2020-nfl-season

Then why are we always bitching when the Jets win meaningless games in December?

35 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This is great lol . Everyone wants to trade down ... only to trade up for a QB next year lol. People r complaining about Wilson’s injury .. yet they want Sewell with the same injury lol 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It occurs to me that Allen and Kyle Murray were also “came out of nowhere” guys, too. IIRC, Matt Miller had Murray as a third round pick that January

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And if I'm a GM, I say "f**k you, we're not passing on a 2nd/3rd round pick to give Darnold a 4th season.  Figure it out with Wilson, Morgan, and a veteran."

That would be some dubious GMing, though. 

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You mean similar to Geno Smith the final 4 games of his rookie year?  Sure.

Was he?  I’m seeing < 60% completion and 4 TDs and 2 INTs the last 4 games of 2013. 

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Sorry I’m not gonna waste my time to argue with someone who has already made up his mind and not open to an actual discussion per usual, have a Happy Easter.

Ironic, really.

Happy Easter.

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

If Costello’s reports are true then Douglas is in quite the quandary.  Apparently Saleh and LeFleur like Darnold and think he is fixable and can thrive in their system.  If they are right, the timeline for making this team competitive just sped up a year or two.  With the haul you can get for the #2 pick, you can address IOL (x2), CB (x2), Edge, WR, RB, LB and TE. In the next two seasons.  That is not to suggest that every pick will be a hit, but the likelihood that the team would improve with all those selections increases dramatically.

So what do you do if you’re Douglas?  Will this cause a rift between coach and GM?  The good news is the Johnsons will have no say in this.

Thinking Sam came benefit from the system, that he can be fixed isnt the same thing as they want Sam over Wilson'

This is mindless typing to fill pages and generate clicks in the down time before the draft.  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If I was a brand new head coach, I’d want two bites at the apple instead of one. They can spend one year trying to make a 24 year old former top prospect work, then try again next year if Darnold sucks, or they can push all their chips in right away on Zach Wilson, who has a bunch of red flags. 

Nooooo!!! We have already agreed he’s perfect!!!

A84A02EE-B8A3-4DD4-BC41-092FA7833AB2.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That would be some dubious GMing, though. 

What does Sam Darnold bring to the table that Nick Mullens doesn't?  Misguided hope and a distraction?

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

What does Sam Darnold bring to the table that Nick Mullens doesn't?  Misguided hope and a distraction?

Sign Mullens and run it back with Darnold. I’m sold.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Was he?  I’m seeing < 60% completion and 4 TDs and 2 INTs the last 4 games of 2013. 

Ok?  So how did Darnold use those final 4 games his rookie year to build momentum the subsequent 2 years?  Why are those games relevant in 2021?

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

There has not been one offense guru that did not think he could redeem a player.

There has not been one D guru that dd not think he could scheme to get the best from a player.

There has not been one oline guru that did not ihe could get by with lesser talent.

I still think the Jets intent at this point is to draft Wilson, however I also think a trade down is not off the board.  If Carolina comes calling then Douglas will listen hard, as he should.

i don't know all the rules but if saleh and lafleur were able to work with darnold right now then maybe i'd be a lot more confident if turning darnold into a better qb is what they said.  sure they watched all the tape when the niners played the jets but that doesn't tell the whole story.

we'll see what happens.  that's why douglas, and saleh get the big bucks.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Sign Mullens and run it back with Darnold. I’m sold.

The point is if the Jets draft a QB at 2, there's zero reason to have Darnold return.  If the Jets were going to trade back from 2 and not take a QB, then sure, Darnold and Mullens would perhaps make sense as a pairing.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

i get that mindset......but if thats not your brand new head coaches mindset you're telling him too bad? douglas isn't a coach......i think you listen to your brand new shiny coach in this case and give him the guy(s) he wants

I haven't  read what the article alludes to but I have a difficult time believing  that anyone on the team is saying it has to be Darnold. There is just so much risk associated  with it. Now if you know you are getting a haul that will make the deal Miami got to move down seen like 2nd class, I think any GM would have a hard time walking away from that and it mitigates risk of Darnold falling on his face and you looking stupid but the odds are against him turning it around and I am a big Darnold supporter saying this. I think he has talent and I think the Jets screwed him over every way imaginable  but the clock has struck 12 on him. We can't  wait anymore.