If Your HC and OC Are Telling You They Can Fix Darnold, Then You...

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Point and laugh then draft a QB?

If Your HC and OC Are Telling You They Can Fix Darnold, Then You...   Realize that you hired a bunch of idiots. 

really? so you hire a highly touted head coach and OC and then you laugh in their face and go against their wishes on who they want at qb? that would be pretty dumb

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

If the Jets coaching staff doesnt know what they are doing, it really doesnt matter who we draft as they will not be successful. They were put in charge, and if they have a strong feeling on this I will trust them. I think its best to move on from Darnold, but if the coaches feel strongly about this, I would not ojbect at all to trading back for a haul and getting a blue chip prospect in the process and then letting them role with Darnold and a Winston to compete

excellent points.  that's why they get the big bucks.  presumably if they decide to go with darnold they know what they are getting into.  my only hope is they evaluate darnold as much as possible during the ota's before the draft.  and if they do draft wilson, so what.  a talented draft pick will still be valuable if darnold pans out.

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

How we conveniently forget Trubisky was handed a top 5 defense and a retooled offense something the Jets haven’t had since 1998.

The point was,  2019 doesn't matter. 

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Build the roster the QB will come.

The last one that came in the draft was 1965.

Kind of tired of waiting when there is a QB who has all the earmarks of a good one sitting at 2

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You didn't hear this is the last draft that will have QB's?

Genuinely hilarious to me how some are over projecting Wilson now just because he’s the guy we’re stuck with. He’s a better prospect than Darnold was! I just didn’t know who he was until 4 months ago!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
22 minutes ago, rangerous said:

excellent points.  that's why they get the big bucks.  presumably if they decide to go with darnold they know what they are getting into.  my only hope is they evaluate darnold as much as possible during the ota's before the draft.  and if they do draft wilson, so what.  a talented draft pick will still be valuable if darnold pans out.

OTAs begin 4/19. The first two weeks of OTAs are usually just workouts. I don’t think coaches are even allowed during workouts. Just trainers etc. 

• Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

If you keep saying it, maybe it'll be true. Or maybe he likes Sam just as much, or maybe even more than your Golden child.

Look,

You can be upset with me if you want - but the reality is, taking a QB at 2 and moving on from Sam was pretty much always going to be the case.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

So, in this scenario, you get the 8 pick, plus another two(?) firsts. You draft Slater, or one of the receivers at 8. The season goes one of two ways:

1. Darnold becomes decent+ under LaFleur and the Jets go 8-8, 9-7.

2. Darnold continues to suck, and the Jets go 4-12, 5-11 and they get the 6 pick next year, along with two other firsts. 

Win win either way. 

I fail to see how getting the sixth pick in a draft that includes awful QB prospects is a win, but that’s me.  6 isn’t getting you the best QB in a bad class, so you’re trading those two extra firsts to jump up and get a prospect WORSE than Zach Wilson, Fields, or Lance when you could have just drafted one 2nd overall the year before and avoided the whole “Sam Darnold sucked a**” thing entirely.

Oh and, speaking of Sam, you are no longer getting anything of value for him in this scenario so you’ve now wasted that potential asset just to watch him throw into triple coverage and miss wide open receivers, hurting your WRs production, for an entire year.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

For everything to break right in this scenario Sam plays awesome the rest is moot.

And the chances of that happening are slim to none.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Wilson has NO "red" flags at all. He has a physical to go through to make sure the shoulder is fine, but his labrum was super minor and no one expects it to be an issue. Brees played 15 years on a significantly one with a major shoulder separation.

There is a yellow flag for level of competition but there has been shown to be really no correlation between small school QBs failing or big school QBs having more success. In fact, being on a great team and having great receivers is also a yellow flag.

That's it. He has the best arm talent of anyone in the NFL. He is smart, young and has great work ethic QBase basically put his bust potential at 30% and the same as Lawrence and it has been superb in predicting busts. So yeah his bust potential is like 30% not 75%. 

So when do we put him in the hall of fame? Best arm talent if anyone in the nfl? Seems a bit exaggerated

• Haha 3
25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

And the chances of that happening are slim to none.

That may be true, but how likely do you think Sam can be average in 2021 with the new offense and improved roster? I think it's very possible, and average play from a young highly touted prospect will have value next off-season.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I fail to see how getting the sixth pick in a draft that includes awful QB prospects is a win, but that’s me.  6 isn’t getting you the best QB in a bad class, so you’re trading those two extra firsts to jump up and get a prospect WORSE than Zach Wilson, Fields, or Lance when you could have just drafted one 2nd overall the year before and avoided the whole “Sam Darnold sucked a**” thing entirely.

Josh Allen went 7. Deshaun went 12. Mahomes went 10. You don’t have to reach for this year’s Trubisky because you’re afraid of picking 6 next year.

• Upvote 3
5 hours ago, Paradis said:

To be fair, a year ago you would have said this Draft class was TL and Fields and then outer space... Now you’re convinced a guy named Wilson might save this franchise. 

In other words anythning can happen in 12 months. 

let’s trust in JD and company. Whatever their decision is. 

Not to quibble but that class was TL, Fields and LANCE. Just like so many seem alarmed by Wilson ascent, there also folks who seem to forget just how good Lance was in 2019.   3 or 4 years from now he could be the best quarterback of this class, and that won't mean the other quarterbacks suck.  This could be that strong a class when its all said and done.   Any other year Fields could certainly have been the first quarterback taken.  Add Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance AND Trevor Lawrence and you have a hell of class.  Is it possible we could look back in a few years and say this quarterback class is the best to come out in a generation.    Then again they could all bust... but not likely. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Josh Allen went 7. Deshaun went 12. Mahomes went 10. You don’t have to reach for this year’s Trubisky because you’re afraid of picking 6 next year.

Trubisky would be the first overall pick next year.  You wanna waste a top ten pick on that?

6 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Nothing appears to leak out of Joe Douglas’s office unless he wants it to.  You think he would let something leak that he’s at odds with what his new coach wants? It seems to me this is all just smoke to pump up Darnolds trade value.  

Right!  Nothing else leaks from that office except this.  Something doesn’t sound right about this...sounds like BS!

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I fail to see how getting the sixth pick in a draft that includes awful QB prospects is a win, but that’s me.  6 isn’t getting you best QB in a bad class, so you’re trading those two extra firsts to jump up and get a prospect WORSE than Zach Wilson, Fields, or Lance when you could have just drafted one 2nd overall the year before and avoided the whole “Sam Darnold sucked a**” thing entirely.

The fair point they have is that Murray, Burrow and Wilson all seemingly came out of nowhere. Another quarterback could easily do the same thing next year.

That said, I hope we take Wilson. 

Seems like Douglas has made up his mind already, but who knows?

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

That may be true, but how likely do you think Sam can be average in 2021 with the new offense and improved roster? I think it's very possible, and average play from a young highly routes prospect will have value next off-season.

1.  Not very likely.  Nothing on his tape tells me be he can be average.  I see a kid who is completely destroyed.

2.  Even if he is average, that means you are picking anywhere from 10-15.  A QB who is nothing more than average, that you either have to pay or move on from, and a middle of the 1st round draft pick in a very weak QB class.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Trubisky would be the first overall pick next year.  You wanna waste a top ten pick on that?

Where was Zach Wilson predicted to be picked in April 2020? I’m going to guess he was labeled a UDFA

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The fair point they have is that Murray, Burrow and Wilson all seemingly came out of nowhere. Another quarterback could easily do the same thing next year.

That said, I hope we take Wilson. 

Seems like Douglas has made up his mind already, but who knows?

And again, my counterpoint to that is you aren’t likely to have a top 2 pick, so even if they did, you have to now use the extra picks and more to trade up for that same type of prospect, when you could have just taken one the year before.

It’s a point that quickly gets dismantled when you sit here and complain about a Zach Wilson/Joe Burrow type prospect, and your proposed alternative to drafting them, is trading down to acquire extra picks that you’ll have to trade away, along with other capital depending on how far down you are, for a Zach Wilson/Joe Burrow type next year.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Where was Zach Wilson predicted to be picked in April 2020? I’m going to guess he was labeled a UDFA

Again T0m.  If you’re argument to avoid drafting a Zach Wilson, is suggesting that we trade down for picks so we can ultimately trade them to draft another Zach Wilson type next year, it’s kind of a bad argument.

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

And again, my counterpoint to that is you aren’t likely to have a top 2 pick, so even if they did, you have to now use the extra picks and more to trade up for that same type of prospect, when you could have just taken one the year before.

It’s a point that quickly gets dismantled when you sit here and complain about a Zach Wilson/Joe Burrow type prospect, and your proposed alternative to drafting them, is trading down to acquire extra picks that you’ll have to trade away, along with other capital depending on how far down you are, for a Zach Wilson/Joe Burrow type next year.

Listen, I think their response is that you get another year to build a stronger team to support a rookie quarterback's development and that you're adding a premium offensive player in the trade down (one of Chase, Pitts, Sewell, Waddle, Slater) + whatever second or third rounder we get in the package this year.

Because, yes, I agree with you that, the future assets gained will be nullified in any trade-up next year. 

Granted, I just think Wilson is a damn good quarterback prospect and we might as well not overcomplicate it. 

Even with drafting Wilson, we'd still have 3 more firsts (one more this year, two next year), two thirds this year and whatever compensation we get for Darnold. 

It really just comes down to whether or not you like Wilson. And the people arguing against you, do not. 

• Upvote 3
4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Listen, I think their response is that you get another year to build a stronger team to support a rookie quarterback's development and that you're adding a premium offensive player in the trade down (one of Chase, Pitts, Sewell, Waddle, Slater) + whatever second or third rounder we get in the package this year.

Because, yes, I agree, the future assets gained will be nullified in any trade-up next year. 

Granted, I just think Wilson is a damn good quarterback prospect and we might as well not overcomplicate it. 

Even with drafting Wilson, we'd still have 3 more firsts (one more this year, two next year), two thirds this year and whatever compensation we get for Darnold. 

It really just comes down to whether or not you like Wilson. And the people arguing against you, do not. 

This is pretty much what it boils down to.  

My main point is that none of these guys are projected to be a better prospect than Zach, so I better not hear any b*tching from that crowd next year when the best options we have to choose from are JT Daniels or Matt Corral.  Especially since the same person I’m arguing with rips the team for passing on Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes in favor of “next year” to this very day.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

50th QB according to one publication. Then he had himself a covid season where he got unlimited time in the pocket to scan the field against 4th graders and put up great highlights, and now he’s better than the “greatest prospect of all time” (sic).

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Post of the Week 2
2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

50th QB according to one publication. Then he had himself a covid season where he got unlimited time in the pocket to scan the field against 4th graders and put up great highlights, and now he’s better than the “greatest prospect of all time” (sic).

He had less time to throw than Justin Fields who had his best games against slobberknockers like Rutgers and Penn State.

Is Justin Fields a bad prospect because of that?  My guess is you’ll say no since you’re outspoken in wanting him.

7 hours ago, football guy said:

I never understood this shift towards forcing rookie QBs to play right away. Yes, a player has to play at some point in order to advance their development, but the notion that development only happens in-game is laughable. 

This is especially true with the Jets when Sanchez, Smith nor Darnold should ever  have been starting day one!

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I guess all of the nfl scouts are wrong and you're right. 

Not sure why this is still being discussed..  Saleh and JD smiled at Wilsons pro day..  Hellllo... they SMILED!

If that isn't enough evidence to show you they think he's the best QB in this draft class you need your head examined.

The last time Saleh smiled was 2010.  JD was back in the late 90's.

• Haha 3