If Your HC and OC Are Telling You They Can Fix Darnold, Then You...

I feel the Darnold camp will accept it if Joe decides to move on with a rookie and support that decision but if Joe decides to stick with Sam I'm not sure the Wilson/fields camp will not take it so well and there will be calls for joes head.

It's gonna be a tough sell, for sure. I can't speak for anyone else, but if that's the call, Joe had best unveil a trade no one sees coming. Taking a TE or a RT at 2 is terrible positional value. But yes, you trust the move JD makes and hope for the best.

1 minute ago, RVAJet815 said:

It's gonna be a tough sell, for sure. I can't speak for anyone else, but if that's the call, Joe had best unveil a trade no one sees coming. Taking a TE or a RT at 2 is terrible positional value. But yes, you trust the move JD makes and hope for the best.

I'm in the roll with Sam camp and have to admit I would be disappointed if we just came out of the draft with Pitts/Sewell at #2. We need the trade down if we are to sell Sam to the entire fan base.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I'm in the roll with Sam camp and have to admit I would be disappointed if we just came out of the draft with Pitts/Sewell at #2. We need the trade down if we are to sell Sam to the entire fan base.

Yeah, I feel like someone who cut his teeth in the Ozzie Newsome system and believes draft value comes before all else would be almost horrified to draft a TE or RT that high. If he can bluff a Carolina or a Denver into emptying the bag, that's another matter. But if he stays at 2, I can't see how you don't go with a QB (whichever one is "his guy")

24 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not at all true. If it was teams would almost never pick rookie contracts. Reality is that it is the GMs job to balance short term goals and long term plans. The Jets are going to take his desires into account but starting with a new QB is an organizational decision. The head coach will always want the veteran and another pick option for the most part. But I think this report is BS because it was all smiles at the Pro Day

Honestly Johnny, what planet are you from? Where you really think he's going to tell his HC, that he hired no less, to go fcuk himself. All due respect here, but that does NOT at all align with any sort of reality. The fact is, when Robert Saleh interviewed for the Jets HC job, he was just as much interviewing Joe Douglas also. He NEEDS to know that his GM has his back and is going to do everything he can to provide him with the resources he needs to be successful. An organizational decision??? WTF is the guy that represents that? What is this "organizational decision" guys name? And how is it that he supersedes both the HC and  GM and makes these grandiose decisions?

The fact is, "Organizational Decisions" are by the GM AND the HC. That's a fact......

4 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Yeah, I feel like someone who cut his teeth in the Ozzie Newsome system and believes draft value comes before all else would be almost horrified to draft a TE or RT that high. If he can bluff a Carolina or a Denver into emptying the bag, that's another matter. But if he stays at 2, I can't see how you don't go with a QB (whichever one is "his guy")

I'd love to move down to 8th as one on the big names are going to be there and then get Kellen Mond at the bottom of the 2nd top of the 3rd as an insurance blanket. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but for me he is a QB with lots of untapped potential who did well on a bad team with no recievers of note.

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

He had less time to throw than Justin Fields who had his best games against slobberknockers like Rutgers and Penn State.

Is Justin Fields a bad prospect because of that?  My guess is you’ll say no since you’re outspoken in wanting him.

1) Rutgers and Penn State are still better than the best competition Wilson has played, do you agree? And those are the worst that Fields played, yes?

Also, Fields actually had his best game in the National Championship SemiFinal against slobberknocker Clemson - but you already knew that. In that nationally televised game against the best prospect in the draft and a strong defense, Fields put up an AY/A of 13.75.

Granted, you can tell me that Wilson bested that AY/A three times in his entire BYU career, but then you'd be talking about me about Troy, Massachusetts, and Western Michigan as the competition and you know where that's going to go. 

2) Fields isn't a bad prospect, neither is Wilson. Fields also isn't a no-risk prospect; and neither is Wilson. However, when I take a holistic look at the two of them, I see more risks with Wilson than I do with Fields. For example, that time to throw comp looks to favor Wilson on the surface, but digging deeper, we see that it isn't without faults.

With no blitz this season, Wilson’s average time to throw is 2.85 seconds (246 dropbacks) and Fields’ is 3.07 seconds (107 dropbacks). When blitzed, Wilson’s average time to throw predictably drops to 2.74 seconds (119 dropbacks) and Fields' somehow increases to 3.21 seconds (103 dropbacks).

Setting the competition factor aside, the first thing to note about the above is that it's talking about only last season. Inherently, that gives me big pause when there are two other seasons that should also be factored into the analysis of both prospects. Second is the significant difference in dropbacks when not blitzed. Third is the difference in blitz strength (for reference, think about the difference between a CJ Mosley blitz and a Harvey Langi blitz). Fourth is how TTT is measured (haven't looked into it but would be interesting if Fields' TTT went up against the blitz because he read it quickly and started scrambling around before he let go of the ball; thereby artificially inflating his TTT).

3) Lastly, I only started becoming outspoken for Fields during the offseason when the Wilson Machine started churning. During the football season, I was interested in watching it all play out, and the only thing I was really outspoken about since last year was that Lawrence was not the generational talent that everyone hyped him to be.

Again, neither of the two available to us is perfect, but I'd rather go with the guy who scored a B+ against better competition and had his team playing for championships rather than an A against players who won't be playing at the next level. 

Trying to look at an unbiased collection of statistics, I put together a table of comps by year and gamelogs below in case anyone is interested. All raw data taken from sports-reference.com. 

image.png.7421acd80e0ab101e52050554c4394c7.png

image.png.c2b69857fcc372abc676b48b6637b740.png

image.thumb.png.8abf9eaf198b9955e41c91377fc2ae4f.png

image.thumb.png.72c1b30d1bde7f8d0b2d049d0acc238f.png

• Upvote 2

I'd love to move down to 8th as one on the big names are going to be there and then get Kellen Mond at the bottom of the 2nd top of the 3rd as an insurance blanket. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but for me he is a QB with lots of untapped potential who did well on a bad team with no recievers of note.

Mond is interesting. If you get a couple of day 2 picks, spending one on Mond is doable. In that event, you could go Slater/Newsome or Slater/Ojulari and have 34 and the Rd 3s to get some WR/RB help. I could see that.

15 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Honestly Johnny, what planet are you from? Where you really think he's going to tell his HC, that he hired no less, to go fcuk himself. All due respect here, but that does NOT at all align with any sort of reality. The fact is, when Robert Saleh interviewed for the Jets HC job, he was just as much interviewing Joe Douglas also. He NEEDS to know that his GM has his back and is going to do everything he can to provide him with the resources he needs to be successful. An organizational decision??? WTF is the guy that represents that? What is this "organizational decision" guys name? And how is it that he supersedes both the HC and  GM and makes these grandiose decisions?

The fact is, "Organizational Decisions" are by the GM AND the HC. That's a fact......

Yes most decisions are going to be lock step with the HC. I am not arguing that at all. In fact JDs grading system changes the grade of a player based on the system they are running. But QB decisions are different. Unless Saleh is literally pounding the table refusing to coach a specific young QB, he does not have the biggest voice on the QB direction in situations like the Jets are. Choosing a QB especially high is much more than just about what a coach wants short term. It is about the face of the franchise, merchandise, cap space, marketing, brand image. All of that. If you do not believe that selecting a QB high is not the coach's call or even needs his buy in you are the one that is delusional. Do you thin Bowles wanted Sam? He wanted McCown or another veteran. Certainly the Jets will look for one that Saleh and LaFleur prefer but seriously almost every coach wants the veteran because all they are focused on now. Saleh does not have the ability to make this decision. It's all BS anyway, Jets are just trying to maximize value for Sam.

32 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

1) Rutgers and Penn State are still better than the best competition Wilson has played, do you agree? And those are the worst that Fields played, yes?

Also, Fields actually had his best game in the National Championship SemiFinal against slobberknocker Clemson - but you already knew that. In that nationally televised game against the best prospect in the draft and a strong defense, Fields put up an AY/A of 13.75.

Granted, you can tell me that Wilson bested that AY/A three times in his entire BYU career, but then you'd be talking about me about Troy, Massachusetts, and Western Michigan as the competition and you know where that's going to go. 

2) Fields isn't a bad prospect, neither is Wilson. Fields also isn't a no-risk prospect; and neither is Wilson. However, when I take a holistic look at the two of them, I see more risks with Wilson than I do with Fields. For example, that time to throw comp looks to favor Wilson on the surface, but digging deeper, we see that it isn't without faults.

With no blitz this season, Wilson’s average time to throw is 2.85 seconds (246 dropbacks) and Fields’ is 3.07 seconds (107 dropbacks). When blitzed, Wilson’s average time to throw predictably drops to 2.74 seconds (119 dropbacks) and Fields' somehow increases to 3.21 seconds (103 dropbacks).

Setting the competition factor aside, the first thing to note about the above is that it's talking about only last season. Inherently, that gives me big pause when there are two other seasons that should also be factored into the analysis of both prospects. Second is the significant difference in dropbacks when not blitzed. Third is the difference in blitz strength (for reference, think about the difference between a CJ Mosley blitz and a Harvey Langi blitz). Fourth is how TTT is measured (haven't looked into it but would be interesting if Fields' TTT went up against the blitz because he read it quickly and started scrambling around before he let go of the ball; thereby artificially inflating his TTT).

3) Lastly, I only started becoming outspoken for Fields during the offseason when the Wilson Machine started churning. During the football season, I was interested in watching it all play out, and the only thing I was really outspoken about since last year was that Lawrence was not the generational talent that everyone hyped him to be.

Again, neither of the two available to us is perfect, but I'd rather go with the guy who scored a B+ against better competition and had his team playing for championships rather than an A against players who won't be playing at the next level. 

Trying to look at an unbiased collection of statistics, I put together a table of comps by year and gamelogs below in case anyone is interested. All raw data taken from sports-reference.com. 

The competition argument gets old. Both situations create uncertainty. Fields threw to much better receivers. Wilson threw against worse DBs.  And again there is not statistical predictive attachment for coming from a small or big school. Same success/failure rate

To me Fields is a FAR riskier pick:

1. He was not asked to read defenses or call protections. At all. Completely unknown whether he will be capable of it

2. Fields by his own words basically refused to look at reads past his first two because they were better. You think he won't pick a couple favorites in the NFL and do the same

3. He has work ethic and interview concerns. There are some reports he is bombing on his Zoom calls.

But I get it, he is super athletic and will have a good chance to successful in the NFL because of that.

Cossell, who greatly prefers Wilson, said Wilson vs. Fields comes down to skills vs traits. If your prefer throwing skills Wilson is at a different level to Fields, if you prefer traits you will prefer Fields.

I think Wilson will be the best QB in the draft, you think Fields will be better. Neither of us have great odds at being right even GMs routinely miss on QBs.

I will say looking at Simms record of ranking QBs and how high he is on Zach., as well as QBASE greatly preferring Zach and predicting a low bust chance, and Cossell liking Wilson alot, he sort of hints maybe more than Lawrence as well it gives me a lot of confidence in Wilson. All of them and QBASE did not really like Sam that much

But we do owe him one.  He will not turn 24 until June.  His first year - Spencer Long.  Enough said.  His second year - Ryan Kalil.  Enough said.  His third year - Chris Hogan and the rest of the gang.  We all saw it.
Personally, I would like to see at least one season with decent personnel before we throw away a 24 year old QB.  Unlike Watson, we own Sam.  He cost us the #3 pick and three second round picks to acquire him. 
We have so many other needs.  We are not making the playoffs next season with Wilson or anybody else.  We should add a sure thing in Sewell or trade down for a haul of picks and Chase, Pitts, Sewell, Smith, Waddle, etc.

He is a sunk cost.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

No.  Especially when you factor in talent Ohio State has in comparison.

*removed the parts where I acted like a total dick*

22 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

No.  Especially when you factor in talent Ohio State has in comparison.

The rest of that long winded post is nothing but a Justin Fields marketing brochure that essentially says: Wilson did better, but played weaker competition (reminder: with weaker talent too) so I’m beyond uninterested.

Wow. Well that was a waste of time. Good to know you've become another one of the sh*tty posters on the board that I shouldn't waste time on. Here I spent all of that time and effort thinking it would be fun to have a legit back and forth with a good poster, but all you've become is a wilson shill who doesn't care for even his slightest criticism.

For the record though, that's not what my post says because it's not true. Wilson didn't do better. He put up better efficiency numbers last year. Fields put up better productivity numbers last year. Over the course of their careers, Fields has Wilson beat in both categories. Look at the entire picture, not just picking and choosing a certain season. And factor in competition, because regardless of what weight you or I put on it, it actually matters.

Have fun continuing to be uninterested all over the boards. 

• Upvote 1

Build the team around darnold and if he fails we have plenty of ammo to get our next qb and surround him with more talent. This to me is a very simple concept you get darnold an elite weapon and build up the o line this year and if he sucks we draft a guy next year. This would be different if we had lawrence but we need to stop pretending wilson is just as good because he is not...the kid played against nobodies and got over hyped.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I'll be curious to see it if you find it. I've never seen that before, but find it hard to believe. 

I think the stat is just for first maybe 2nd rounders. So the highly drafted ones form both big and small schools

13 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Wow. Well that was a waste of time. Good to know you've become another one of the sh*tty posters on the board that I shouldn't waste time on. Here I spent all of that time and effort thinking it would be fun to have a legit back and forth with a good poster, but all you've become is a wilson shill who doesn't care for even his slightest criticism.

For the record though, that's not what my post says because it's not true. Wilson didn't do better. He put up better efficiency numbers last year. Fields put up better productivity numbers last year. Over the course of their careers, Fields has Wilson beat in both categories. Look at the entire picture, not just picking and choosing a certain season. And factor in competition, because regardless of what weight you or I put on it, it actually matters.

Have fun continuing to be uninterested all over the boards. 

*edited because I acted like a giant dick*

40 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

PFF and many have Spencer Rattler Oklahoma as the best '21 QB.

The Rat is listed as 6'1''. If the squirt is the best in '21 as many say,

it is imperative that we nab our QB of the future this year from

a much stronger class

Sam Howell is the best QB in the next draft class followed by Ridder, Slovis, Corrall etc

I only read PFF to watch them give Darron Lee a perfect coverage ranking because Matt Patricia forgot to change hand and arm signals once

53 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Build the team around darnold and if he fails we have plenty of ammo to get our next qb and surround him with more talent. This to me is a very simple concept you get darnold an elite weapon and build up the o line this year and if he sucks we draft a guy next year. This would be different if we had lawrence but we need to stop pretending wilson is just as good because he is not...the kid played against nobodies and got over hyped.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

This roster stinks.  The idea that Zach Wilson is surpassing Aaron Rodgers with this hot mess is laughable 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That was the “ploy” in keeping Jamal Adams, no? Mostly I think he’s still here because of a couple reasons:

1. Potential best-offer for Darnold getting better. Nobody’s offered up a good enough pick yet, and at least one team that may have floated a 2nd rounder as an idea never made a concrete/official offer & has since pulled back on that anyway. A team may not be offereing as much today, figuring they can trade up or land someone in the draft, but if a team’s last acceptable prospect is taken before their pick, then Darnold’s value to them goes up, and maybe he can squeeze a future 1 out of them - or package one of our future day-2 picks with Darnold for a future 1st. But those aren’t really likely trades until the draft is here, with so many QBs coming out in this class.

2. Potential best-offer for the #2 overall pick getting better. He’s also hanging onto Darnold just in case he gets blown away with an offer he can’t refuse for the #2 overall pick. Even on the minuscule chance that Wilson goes 1st and he’s unexpectedly sitting on the Lawrence pick; however unlikely, the only 100% odds are that it 100% cannot happen if he trades out of the slot before Jacksonville hands in their pick card.

Adding to the above is the other thing he’s got in his back pocket, which is that - thanks to the Adams trade - the Jets are not desperate for more draft picks in this draft. It’s just a guess of mine, but with 5 day 1-2 picks this month, even without trading down, I think he’d rather have a round higher pick next year than a round lower pick this year. Not only will the (theoretical) prospect level be higher but he’ll also have a better idea of what he really needs after Saleh’s first year with them. Plus there are only so many rookies any coach will want on the field this year as it is. 

Also since he’s not desperate for an extra day 2 pick in 2021, he can wait on it and first see how Wilson/Fields/etc look in OTAs/minicamp before Saleh decides, OK the rookie’s clearly our week 1 starter

It’s impossible to know what future offers will come in, but ultimately I still expect a QB at #2. We’ll see soon.

I’m worried about you 

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Either one improves the QB position here immediately. 

100% agree.  If you support Wilson though, there’s a contingent of Fields’s fans ready to nitpick every single piece of Wilson’s game and tell you why you’re out of your mind for liking him.

I support both, but it’s painfully clear that one subset of fans can’t find that or any criticism of “their guy” acceptable.

• Upvote 2

The more I think about it, the more I'm on-board with sticking with Darnold and drafting Wilson. Honestly I don't care about past precedent or emotional "face of the franchise" narratives. Sam Darnold on the Jets is more valuable than a 3rd round pick. For one, I think having the opportunity to have the most talented, "upside-driven" young QB room would be a fascinating storyline, and would actually make training camp interesting. Secondly, you gotta figure this is one of the best way to foster a truly competitive position group... great for team building and culture. Third, I love the idea of not forcing a high rookie draft pick onto the field... make him earn it. Fourth, I'm extremely confident that Darnold will perform at a high level once inserted into the new offense. Given how much people around the league like Sam, his age, and his talent, I feel like the Jets would get more for him next year than they may get this year even if they have to franchise tag him. 

I don't think it will happen, but I'm kind of hoping it does

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm on-board with sticking with Darnold and drafting Wilson. Honestly I don't care about past precedent or emotional "face of the franchise" narratives. Sam Darnold on the Jets is more valuable than a 3rd round pick. For one, I think having the opportunity to have the most talented, "upside-driven" young QB room would be a fascinating storyline, and would actually make training camp interesting. Secondly, you gotta figure this is one of the best way to foster a truly competitive position group... great for team building and culture. Third, I love the idea of not forcing a high rookie draft pick onto the field... make him earn it. Fourth, I'm extremely confident that Darnold will perform at a high level once inserted into the new offense. Given how much people around the league like Sam, his age, and his talent, I feel like the Jets would get more for him next year than they may get this year even if they have to franchise tag him. 

Would you be worried about forcing the players to pick sides in this situation though? Obviously the hope would be that Saleh keeps the locker room together no matter who gets named QB1, but inherent bias will show at some point. Unless it’s a pure meritocratic decision where one of Darnold or Wilson run away with starting job, I would be worried it could be the start of a fissure in the locker room if game one comes and the non-popular starter botches the game. 

In a perfect world, Darnold plays well, we win 7-9 games and flip him for a 1 with our QB in the wings. 

3 minutes ago, BoogSportsGuy said:

In a perfect world, Darnold plays well, we win 7-9 games and flip him for a 1 with our QB in the wings.

Amazing the 2021 season hasn't even started and fans are already conceding saying theres always next year.  

Most teams start out with a goal of reaching the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl. 

Not here. 

52 years and counting............

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

As im typing Sam is traded 

nooooooo

41 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I, literally, don’t care if you think I’m sh*tty poster because I hurt your fee fees.

I’ve been an outspoken Fields and Wilson supporter, but anything short of bowing down to Fields’s greatness and lynching Wilson is not enough for you Fields jock sniffers and I’m sick of reading this sh*t.

I've neither bowed to Fields nor lynched Wilson in a single post. Ever. The search function will confirm that. I ******* posted every single game log that each have had and literally came to the conclusion that Wilson had a grade A season. All I'm asking you to do is read the damn post, but this is your second hostile response basically saying you don't want to waste time on getting facts and would rather just throw your hands up and say I don't care.

I'll chuck this up to you having a bad day or needing a refill of lexapro or something cuz I've generally enjoyed our conversations over the years otherwise. 

Have a good day dude. We'll try this some other time. 

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

Sorry dude but there is no chance you’ll get me to buy into any crackpot theory that on April 5 the Jets are still implementing stages of their mastermind plan to manipulate Darnold value.

Well this is kind of awkward, isn't it? ?

6 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I want to roll with Sam but this was an excellent post.  Thanks.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mfmartin said:

He is a sunk cost.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yes.  In the business sense.  It is why I want to keep him and build the team patiently.  Inside out, like the Steelers.  I do not know if Sam can transcend the last three years.  But I do know we are the second worst team in the NFL.  We are not going anywhere this season.  Let's not blow the second pick in the draft because we are angry with Sam Darnold.  

Take the sure thing.  Take Sewell or trade back.