The Jets best RB in the last ten years is Bilal Powell...

Every year the draft comes around and we ignore RB. Other teams get stud backs and win games with them. We get the McGwires and Perrine's of the world. You sign a FA like Ivory or Bell but by the time you trot them on the field the ankles and knees start to falter, you get the hammys.

I dont care if we draft 7 consecutive OLs... I want a stud back for once in my fcking life. Bilal and Leon in the last 20 years and the fans dont complain... Oh and a sprinkle of Shawn Greens, that it! No wonder our offenses always suck.

• Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

We signed the biggest free agent RB on the market two years ago.

How did that work. 

Our Running Backs have been garbage because our line has been garbage. We need a line. Derrick Henry wouldn’t have got 4.0 ypc running behind Brian Winters and the corpse of Ryan Kalil. 

Bell was washed and was a dumb signing. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

Every year the draft comes around and we ignore RB. Other teams get stud backs and win games with them. We get the McGwires and Perrine's of the world. You sign a FA like Ivory or Bell but by the time you trot them on the field the ankles and knees start to falter, you get the hammys.

I dont care if we draft 7 consecutive OLs... I want a stud back for once in my fcking life. Bilal and Leon in the last 20 years and the fans dont complain... Oh and a sprinkle of Shawn Greens, that it! No wonder our offenses always suck.

You don't need a stud when you hand a great o line.  He will turn into "the stud" when you have the o line  

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The last time the Jets drafted a top flight back was 40 years ago.....Freeman McNeil

Last top flight receiver....Al Toon...35 years ago.

The best QB they’ve had in the same time frame was Testeverde (who they lucked into) and after he had taken his lumps with multiple other teams.

Their FO has been garbage for much of the last 50 years outside of some of the teams Mike Hickey built in the late 70’s early 80’s.

Jets have been a Mom and Pop, Cya organization with less than mediocre people running it across the board for most of their existence....no surprise they have had some of the worst owners in the league after the Namath era.

Look at the QB’s EVERY AFC East team has enjoyed over that 50 years Marino, Kelly, Brady, don’t forget the Baltimore Colts when they were still in the East.

The Jets barely have ANY skill position players that ANYONE in other parts of the country can even name....40 years running.

It’s really a Miracle that the Jets have even sniffed the playoffs when they do.

Yeah it would be nice to just once have a home run hitting back and a WR who could put fear into a D.

THIS......  Jets management SUCKS.  The draft is where teams are built and we suck at it.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Thomas Jones was basically a JAG.  He rushed for 1,400+ yards because the OL was fantastic.  The RB approach has been fine or at least OK.  The OL approach has not.  

He ran for 3 yards 90 percent of his carries.    He always had a 40 to 50 yard carry that padded his stats.   

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Last top flight receiver....Al Toon...35 years ago.

Keyshawn? Santana moss? 

Agree that these last 15 years have been abysmal watching them take defensive player after defensive player while being frustrated with each coaching staff when the offense doesn't sniff the top 10 in that same period. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

We signed the biggest free agent RB on the market two years ago.

How did that work. 

Our Running Backs have been garbage because our line has been garbage. We need a line. Derrick Henry wouldn’t have got 4.0 ypc running behind Brian Winters and the corpse of Ryan Kalil. 

Please Bell wascwashed up by the time we got him, went to KC and was worse. That dude should retire asap and McCagnan should be rounded up and shot.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mtwarlock31 said:

Keyshawn? Santana moss? 

Agree that these last 15 years have been abysmal watching them take defensive player after defensive player while being frustrated with each coaching staff when the offense doesn't sniff the top 10 in that same period. 

Meh...Keyshawn wasn’t in the same league as Toon since he wasn’t a deep threat and Moss, although also another scarce 1st Rd pick was nothing special.

Jet fans have been so beaten down psychologically that if a draft pick even sees the field, even a premium pick (1st - 3rd Rd) many fans see it as some kind of accomplishment.  If a WR like Moss produces a single 1,000 yard season, when the rest of his career is mediocre, there is rejoicing.  When they won’t even let a 2nd Rd pick like Hackenberg take one single solitary snap, even at the very end of a lost season, it’s obvious that a totally incompetent FO is just trying to cover up their failures, which you have seen far too often.

Lol stud backs. The RB is the least important position on the team. You can take any back and put them behind a nice online and be productive

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, funaz said:

Lol stud backs. The RB is the least important position on the team. You can take any back and put them behind a nice online and be productive

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah we build an OL and Perrine will run for 1800 yards, sure. Not happening. You need both, you need to draft stud RB at least once every 5 years so you dont have to spend money getting one through FA. Last real stud RB we drafted was McNeil 40 years ago. Gimme a break, enough of the narrative that any RB will do.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Thomas Jones was basically a JAG.  He rushed for 1,400+ yards because the OL was fantastic.  The RB approach has been fine or at least OK.  The OL approach has not.  

Lmao, what? A JAG? 

The guy was drafted 7th overall. He is currently the 26th leading rusher in NFL history. He was nominated for the hall of fame last year.

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

In the end we draft the wrong OL anyway. Might as well get the no brainer stud back. We fck up 90% of our picks. Hard to mess up the top two or three backs. They are always good.

Stupid logic that thankfully Douglas won't share

2 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Lmao, what? A JAG? 

The guy was drafted 7th overall. He is currently the 26th leading rusher in NFL history. He was nominated for the hall of fame last year.

That he was even nominated for the HOF is laughable. 

He was a durable back who was a product of his OL. When the OL was meh he was meh; when there were big holes he ran through them. When there weren’t he just went down. 

He was a one-cut runner who wasn’t particularly shifty, and too often just didn’t hit the hole fast enough - he wasn’t called the Dancing Bear for nothing - and went down on arm tackles & frankly any first contact too easily, which was especially disappointing for a guy who looked like he was chiseled out of granite. 

You’re judging by stats not eyes. He was just ok. Solid football player, and an underrated & willing blocker when needed. Just ok as a runner. Just ok receiving out of the backfield (not like he had stone hands but he’s not the guy to take dumpoffs 20-40 yards many times per year. He just wasn’t a big-time playmaker, even in his youth when he had the jets to be one, nor was he overpowering where he’d just plow through arm tackles. He put up solid year-total numbers but never really seemed to do anything particularly special. I view him as a poor man’s Curtis Martin, which is a backhanded compliment. He just didn’t to it as many years, and part of that reason was he was on fewer good teams.

His big games came against crappy defenses, while benefitting from good (and sometimes dominant) run blocking. Yeah well 2/3 of the teams aren’t top 10 run defenses every year, and that’s when he put up his numbers. He was a 4.0 ypc (league-average) guy who got a ton of carries.

Great career comparatively, and was a generally durable back for a long time, but not the guy ultimately you want to hand the ball off to with the game or season on the line, especially in the playoffs against good run defenses.

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

Didn’t they use a second round pick to get thomas Jones?  Does that count? I get what you’re saying but the oline is more important.

17 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

Really? Chris Ivory got a lot of yardage for us also.

Yes, RB certainly should be a selection that JD makes. I wouldn't be surprised if JD took a RB at 23 or 34? I could also see him taking a fullback later on in the draft.

4 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

Yeah we build an OL and Perrine will run for 1800 yards, sure. Not happening. You need both, you need to draft stud RB at least once every 5 years so you dont have to spend money getting one through FA. Last real stud RB we drafted was McNeil 40 years ago. Gimme a break, enough of the narrative that any RB will do.

I couldn't disagree more.

You never have to draft a stud RB. A stud RB is the cherry on top, not a building block. You don't install a rooftop pool before the foundation is set. RBs generally come cheap in free agency, too, which is just another reason not to use premium picks on the position. The RB position has been downgraded over the years because they're easily replaceable. There are a million guys out there under six feet tall who run a 4.55. Those guys become RBs and safeties. You spend premium picks on special players. The 260 lb. dudes who can get the QB in under two seconds, or the 300 lb. dudes who can consistently stop them. The 6'3" dudes who run a sub 4.4 and can catch anything that comes near them, or the CB who can swat the ball away from them. It would be a sin to draft a RB high if they had an IOL, Edge, WR, or CB rated even close. Studs at those positions don't reach free agency. When stud RBs get big second contracts, they're almost always immediately regretted. 

I'm old enough to remember when RBs went #1 overall and offensive linemen had to get jobs in the offseason, but the league's evolved. It's all about the QB now. It's all about passing the ball or stopping the pass. Much of the league has taken to the RB by committee approach because it's effective. It wouldn't surprise me if the Jets didn't draft a RB at all this year, it will surprise me if they take one before Seattle's third rounder. 

• Post of the Week 2