The Jets best RB in the last ten years is Bilal Powell...

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Thomas Jones was basically a JAG.  He rushed for 1,400+ yards because the OL was fantastic.  The RB approach has been fine or at least OK.  The OL approach has not.  

Dont know what worse, that you called Thomas Jones a JAG or that many people upvoted this nonsense

He rushed for 1400 yards in the middle of a 5 year run of 1000 yard seasons.  Wrapped around another near 1000 yard seasons

Whats the allure of taking what good players we have had, good seasons they've had and then working hard to try and explain why they really weren't good

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Dont know what worse, that you called Thomas Jones a JAG or that many people upvoted this nonsense

He rushed for 1400 yards in the middle of a 5 year run of 1000 yard seasons.  Wrapped around another near 1000 yard seasons

Whats the allure of taking what good players we have had, good seasons they've had and then working hard to try and explain why they really weren't good

He completely relied on his line.

His first year was atrocious and then he came on strong the second year after we rebuilt the line. Anyone thinking Jones was the main guy for those yards and not the line is delusional. Back’s are all limited by what the line does for them, some have exceptional abilities beyond that (Jones really didn’t) but for the most part they will go as their blocking does.

The idea of investing in a top back before the offensive line is absolutely asinine.

I certainly don't  agree Powell was the best RB in the last 10 years. The guy wasn't  even a starter. Never the less, due to the rules, the game is a passing game and running the ball is a change of pace thing. TN. Is the exception. Even Dallas with Elliott who is top 3 has assembled a formidable  passing game. It's  just where the game has gone. When you basically can't  touch a WR without drawing a flag and even have to be careful about how you tackle them, you should try to exploit that. RB's have no such protection.

Didn’t they use a second round pick to get thomas Jones?  Does that count? I get what you’re saying but the oline is more important.
I think we swapped picks to get him, rather than giving up a pick.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

Every year the draft comes around and we ignore RB. Other teams get stud backs and win games with them. We get the McGwires and Perrine's of the world. You sign a FA like Ivory or Bell but by the time you trot them on the field the ankles and knees start to falter, you get the hammys.

I dont care if we draft 7 consecutive OLs... I want a stud back for once in my fcking life. Bilal and Leon in the last 20 years and the fans dont complain... Oh and a sprinkle of Shawn Greens, that it! No wonder our offenses always suck.

1) Curtis Martin was in the last 20 years

2) Thomas Jones too

3) I seem to remember we spent big on a RB fairly recently. Can't quite put my finger on the details, but it's ringing a Bell

4) FOR ****'S SAKE WILL YOU PEOPLE GODDAMN LOOK AT WHAT THE SHANAHAN SYSTEM MEANS FOR RBS? Is that really too much to ask? Just, like, a bare modicum of football knowledge before whining?

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

1) Curtis Martin was in the last 20 years

2) Thomas Jones too

3) I seem to remember we spent big on a RB fairly recently. Can't quite put my finger on the details, but it's ringing a Bell

4) FOR ****'S SAKE WILL YOU PEOPLE GODDAMN LOOK AT WHAT THE SHANAHAN SYSTEM MEANS FOR RBS? Is that really too much to ask? Just, like, a bare modicum of football knowledge before whining?

We have no offensive line outside of Becton.  Any decent to good running play last season we ran on Becton

Curtis Martin and Thomas Jones both ran behind elite offensive lines.  Our OL is still bottom 5 even after adding Becton

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

You forgot Curtis Martin. Not an explosive stud, but certainly a steady workhorse.

Loved CuMar.  Maybe my favorite player ever but he had a great OL

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That he was even nominated for the HOF is laughable. 

He was a durable back who was a product of his OL. When the OL was meh he was meh; when there were big holes he ran through them. When there weren’t he just went down. 

He was a one-cut runner who wasn’t particularly shifty, and too often just didn’t hit the hole fast enough - he wasn’t called the Dancing Bear for nothing - and went down on arm tackles & frankly any first contact too easily, which was especially disappointing for a guy who looked like he was chiseled out of granite. 

You’re judging by stats not eyes. He was just ok. Solid football player, and an underrated & willing blocker when needed. Just ok as a runner. Just ok receiving out of the backfield (not like he had stone hands but he’s not the guy to take dumpoffs 20-40 yards many times per year. He just wasn’t a big-time playmaker, even in his youth when he had the jets to be one, nor was he overpowering where he’d just plow through arm tackles. He put up solid year-total numbers but never really seemed to do anything particularly special. I view him as a poor man’s Curtis Martin, which is a backhanded compliment. He just didn’t to it as many years, and part of that reason was he was on fewer good teams.

His big games came against crappy defenses, while benefitting from good (and sometimes dominant) run blocking. Yeah well 2/3 of the teams aren’t top 10 run defenses every year, and that’s when he put up his numbers. He was a 4.0 ypc (league-average) guy who got a ton of carries.

Great career comparatively, and was a generally durable back for a long time, but not the guy ultimately you want to hand the ball off to with the game or season on the line, especially in the playoffs against good run defenses.

You can say he wasnt dynamic, fine, no arguement there. A JAG? That's absurd. JAGs dont get into top 30 of all time in their position in yards. Durability and longevity is an attribute. When he came to jets it was already his 8th season in the league with a lot of touches. He set his career high 10 years into his career. The average JAG might last 2-4 seasons in the NFL at RB. 

He was a reliable workhorse back.