JetNation 2021 Mock Draft DISCUSSION

Dcat

17 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

As the representative of the New York Jets in this illustrious mock draft, I believe it is my duty to provide my rationale and mindset when making decisions in this draft so to the best of my ability I will express those to the board.  

It should not be a surprise that I am taking a quarterback with the 2nd overall pick. I’ve stated repeatedly my support for drafting either Zach Wilson or Justin Fields all over the draft board and on the main board. I have decided to express my thoughts in 2 parts: QB at 2 vs. Trade Back/ Keep Darnold, Wilson vs. Fields.  

Part 1: QB at 2 vs. Trade back/ Keep Darnold 

The only spot I was willing to trade out to was 3 overall because I refuse to miss out on a QB. 
Sam Darnold is the worst QB in the league, he has proven nothing. He has about 5 career games that can be considered good. Surrounding him with talent just to pay him $25 million a year so we can package him and a first rounder for Derek Carr in 2 years is not anything I have any interest in.  I understand that some people think Darnold was a great prospect, and I cheered for him when he took the field but the evidence all points in one direction and I can't take the chance while holding number 2 overall that he's an outlier. I'm higher on Fields and Wilson now than I ever was about Darnold. 

Part 2: Wilson vs. Fields 

I was unsure of how to go about this until recently and if not for the 49ers moving up to 3, I would have taken the chance to move down to 3 or 4 to take whichever QB was available there. However, after the trade I had to make a more concrete decision and I settled on the guy that seems to be the obvious real-life choice in Zach Wilson. Wilson and Fields are both exceptional players, I believe that those two and Trevor Lawrence are basically the best-case scenario for this cursed franchise. So I had to parse a difference where I really don’t care to find one. I settled on 1 thing that bothered me with Fields more than any negative trait I found on Wilson. Fields vs. The Blitz in 2020 relied too much on his athleticism rather than on QB abilities. It is a small thing but it was the one thing between the two prospects that I couldn’t reconcile easily. Indiana and Northwestern hammered Fields with the blitz and it worked, he never had an answer other than “be stronger.” While Wilson is not perfect, his biggest flaw (favoring vertical reads to the detriment of smart reads) could simply be a coaching issue and it was supplemented by his immense arm talent. I believe Lawrence has a worse “fatal flaw” since his is a mechanical issue with his plant leg but he’s not an option. I believe Fields will be a very good QB, it is my hope that I have chosen a potentially great one.  

Zach Wilson is the next great hope of the New York Jets.  

nicely done!

And I agree about trading w/Greenbean.  He's always on the road and hard to get.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

This is going at ground breaking speed. We should be finished by the 2022 NFL Draft.

This is exactly the kind of post that nobody wants.  The first round takes for ever because people are dealing for trades and inevitably some people forget it started.  If you can't be patient and are going to whine, they maybe you shouldn't do this.   We've been doing this here and on other Jets message boards for a decade now and this is how it goes, like it or not.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, kdels62 said:

You guys do amazing work every year. I did my first one almost 10 years ago as a kid who barely knew wtf I was talking about. Now I’m an adult who has basically no idea wtf I’m talking about.

lol, i want to say this is my 3rd year? 

it's crazy - i did it the first year as a way of cramming before the real draft, and getting familiar with prospects - i watch the NFL now and see guys playing/starting that i picked for the Colts (who I take every year) in the mid-late rounds!

cannot convey how much i appreciate the effort these guys put into this. so great!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

lol, i want to say this is my 3rd year? 

it's crazy - i did it the first year as a way of cramming before the real draft, and getting familiar with prospects - i watch the NFL now and see guys playing/starting that i picked for the Colts (who I take every year) in the mid-late rounds!

cannot convey how much i appreciate the effort these guys put into this. so great!!!

I felt such shame after the first one that I did in 2010ish that didn’t do it again until 2 years ago. Last year I got 4 players drafted to the Eagles correct and I realize now that I peaked and should’ve quit.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

I felt such shame after the first one that I did in 2010ish that didn’t do it again until 2 years ago. Last year I got 4 players drafted to the Eagles correct and I realize now that I peaked and should’ve quit.

i won my first one, and the guys organizing it flipped the table and stopped tabulating a score and declaring a winner forevermore...

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Dcat said:

This is exactly the kind of post that nobody wants.  The first round takes for ever because people are dealing for trades and inevitably some people forget it started.  If you can't be patient and are going to whine, they maybe you shouldn't do this.   We've been doing this here and on other Jets message boards for a decade now and this is how it goes, like it or not.

Touchy touchy lighten up Horacio 

21 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Touchy touchy lighten up Horacio 

Trying to nip it in the bud so to speak.   With the time invested, don't want a whine fest if that's not too much to ask.  I'll be the bad guy and speak for the others on it.  Happens every year.

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

So you’re telling me @GREENBEAN is the reason we don’t have the Field of dreams?

That is some funny sh*t!   A trade down to get Fields and more draft assets right there for the taking, but the other GM is busy driving around in a hippy van interviewing anyone wearing green and doing all sorts of long bearded stuff. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2