JetNation 2021 Mock Draft DISCUSSION

Dcat

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

The picks we made for you will probably be the highest scoring picks you had. 

Blind squirrel finds an acorn two years ago and we still haven't heard the end of it.  Which is another good reason to score the draft this year.  Time to end the Ape's reign.

Ouch.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

@Lith I placed top 3 both years you scored it. FOR THE RECORD.

sassy misha collins GIF

Not bad.  You won it in 2018, finished 2nd in 2019 behind Broadway Ray.  Not bad at all. 

I may have to take a look at how the 2020 standings would have worked had I scored that.  

Edit.  Just found my 2017 sheet and you finished 4th that year.  Very impressive.

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not bad.  You won it in 2018, finished 2nd in 2019 behind Broadway Ray.  Not bad at all. 

I may have to take a look at how the 2020 standings would have worked had I scored that.  

Edit.  Just found my 2017 sheet and you finished 4th that year.  Very impressive.

See!!! 

im not a blind squirrel - I’m a stupid ape!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

For real though, I could care less about winning - mentioning it is more of a tongue in cheek thing in doing for the laughs.

I just like the little draft community. ?

I get it.  I started scoring a few years ago as a fun way to compare where guys we picked went in the real draft. 

Then when there started to be way too much discussion about scores during our draft, I decided to stop scoring.  It seemed like there were some folks making picks based on potential points, regardless of whether it made sense for the team they are drafting for.  Or guys not drafting "sleepers" they like becuase they may not get drafted and lose points.  Tail started wagging the dog, so I stopped the scoring.  

Edit.  Really sucks for @Beerfish that I stopped scoring, because he would have been our defending champ.  But I didin't score it last year so he is not, lol.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

I get it.  I started scoring a few years ago as a fun way to compare where guys we picked went in the real draft. 

Then when there started to be way too much discussion about scores during our draft, I decided to stop scoring.  It seemed like there were some folks making picks based on potential points, regardless of whether it made sense for the team they are drafting for.  Or guys not drafting "sleepers" they like becuase they may not get drafted and lose points.  Tail started wagging the dog, so I stopped the scoring.  

Edit.  Really sucks for @Beerfish that I stopped scoring, because he would have been our defending champ.  But I didin't score it last year so he is not, lol.

Makes total sense. One thing I’ve done each year is declare my Colts strategy here in the discussion thread, so that it was clear how I was reconciling need - opportunity cost via the draft.

Like thus year. I happen to think Wentz sucks, and needs dominant WRs, so I opted for Bateman in draft - and Villanueva in FA to address that OT issue. ?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Lith said:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Makes total sense. One thing I’ve done each year is declare my Colts strategy here in the discussion thread, so that it was clear how I was reconciling need - opportunity cost via the draft.

Like thus year. I happen to think Wentz sucks, and needs dominant WRs, so I opted for Bateman in draft - and Villanueva in FA to address that OT issue. ?

Next year, we gotta figure out a way to do a full mock offseason where we bid against each other for FAs before the draft and then draft for our teams. 

• Sympathy 1

Inside the Miami Dolphins War Room:

(My annual Tolstoy novel length post.)

1-6: The Dolphins were slated to pick at #6 in the 1st round but attempted to trade down.  They were prepared to move down a max of about 4 spots.  They actually had a deal worked out on condition of a certain player being there for the team they were dealing with but that player (I assume it was one of the QBs) was gone.

Thus they selected Kyle Pitts - TE - Florida, this was not a lead pipe decision though as there was serious consideration on taking Jamarr Chase.

The Dolphins had the 18th pick in the draft and could have gotten a good player by staying there but they wanted to get two what they considered premium players in the 1st round with the draft assets they had at their disposal.  Thus they traded #18 and 2-50 to move up to #10

1-10: The speculation was that the Phins had traded up to get Devonta Smith or Micah Parsons but instead they selected what most analysts feel is the top corner and perhaps the top defensive player in the draft in Patrick Surtain II - CB - Alabama.  A super clean high level prospect.  CB was not a dire need for Miami but this player in their mind was too good to pass up.

As expected some very good players were on the board late 1st and early 2nd round.  The Dolphins tried to trade up for one of two players they wanted (Creed Humphrey or Travis Etienne) but they couldn't make a deal.  The problem was not so much trade compensation discussion but simply that the teams at those spots liked the player value and were not interest in trading out.

2-36: As Dolphins GM I absolutely wanted a #1 quality back out of this draft.  With a young developing QB no way am I going into next year with Myles Gaskin as my bell cow RB.  Javonte Williams - RB - NC was my #3 back in the draft and I was happy to get him.

3-81: Milton Williams - DE/DT - Louisiana Tech.  Every GM has a favourite pick in their draft and this is the one for me.  Multi year starter, improved each year and phenomenal athletic scores.  I really think this player will out perform his draft spot.

3-102: Amari Rogers - WR - Clemson. I definitely wanted a slot receiver in the draft.  I have outside guys but not a true good slot guy.  During the year I was only okay with Rogers as a prospect watching Clemson but he looked really good at the Clemson pro day to me.  Faster and more agile than I thought, ran good routes and was much thicker and stout.

The middle of the draft was the Sahara desert for the Dolphins, I had no 4th or 6th rounders and one 5th rounder.  I had tried to trade down in the 3rd and 5th rounds but there was no takers and I was not going to hold up the drafting waiting for a trade.  I essentially had 1 pick over a period of about 121 players.

5-156: Cameron Sample - DE - Tulane. I was looking for another pass rushing Dlineman and Sample has had reasonable production, he apparently showed very well at the Senior Bowl practices and game which boosted his stock.

7-231: Buddy Johnson - LB - Texas A & M. A bit of an undersized LB but he has really good athletic scores and had good production over his college career.  Could work his way into being  smaller hybrid LB or be a good special teams guy in the mean time.

7-258: Ryan McCollum - C - Texas A & M. Oline was not a huge priority in this draft as the Dolphins picked 3 guys last year and 2 the year before but I did want to come away with a center or another oline prospect.  It was disappointing to me not to be able to come away with a higher rated center.  I could not get the top rated guys and my lack of mid round picks killed me in this regard.  I also got sniped on about 4 or 5 OT's I liked shortly before my pick through the draft.

Like every GM ever, I am happy with the guys I got in this draft.  I filled some holes and took a chance on some really high upside athletic players.

As Jets fans I think we are going to be sick at how well the Dolphins do in this draft unless they really screw it up.  They are in a better spot than the Jets overall.  They do not need QB right now and they have the higher 1st rounder (18 to our 23)

• Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

1-6: The Dolphins were slated to pick at #6 in the 1st round but attempted to trade down.  They were prepared to move down a max of about 4 spots.  They actually had a deal worked out on condition of a certain player being there for the team they were dealing with but that player (I assume it was one of the QBs) was gone.

Thus they selected Kyle Pitts - TE - Florida, this was not a lead pipe decision though as there was serious consideration on taking Jamarr Chase.

The Dolphins had the 18th pick in the draft and could have gotten a good player by staying there but they wanted to get two what they considered premium players in the 1st round with the draft assets they had at their disposal.  Thus they traded #18 and 2-50 to move up to #10

1-10: The speculation was that the Phins had traded up to get Devonta Smith or Micah Parsons but instead they selected what most analysts feel is the top corner and perhaps the top defensive player in the draft in Patrick Surtain II - CB - Alabama.  A super clean high level prospect.  CB was not a dire need for Miami but this player in their mind was too good to pass up.

As expected some very good players were on the board late 1st and early 2nd round.  The Dolphins tried to trade up for one of two players they wanted (Creed Humphrey or Travis Etienne) but they couldn't make a deal.  The problem was not so much trade compensation discussion but simply that the teams at those spots liked the player value and were not interest in trading out.

2-36: As Dolphins GM I absolutely wanted a #1 quality back out of this draft.  With a young developing QB no way am I going into next year with Myles Gaskin as my bell cow RB.  Javonte Williams - RB - NC was my #3 back in the draft and I was happy to get him.

3-81: Milton Williams - DE/DT - Louisiana Tech.  Every GM has a favourite pick in their draft and this is the one for me.  Multi year starter, improved each year and phenomenal athletic scores.  I really think this player will out perform his draft spot.

3-102: Amari Rogers - WR - Clemson. I definitely wanted a slot receiver in the draft.  I have outside guys but not a true good slot guy.  During the year I was only okay with Rogers as a prospect watching Clemson but he looked really good at the Clemson pro day to me.  Faster and more agile than I thought, ran good routes and was much thicker and stout.

The middle of the draft was the Sahara desert for the Dolphins, I had no 4th or 6th rounders and one 5th rounder.  I had tried to trade down in the 3rd and 5th rounds but there was no takers and I was not going to hold up the drafting waiting for a trade.  I essentially had 1 pick over a period of about 121 players.

5-156: Cameron Sample - DE - Tulane. I was looking for another pass rushing Dlineman and Sample has had reasonable production, he apparently showed very well at the Senior Bowl practices and game which boosted his stock.

7-231: Buddy Johnson - LB - Texas A & M. A bit of an undersized LB but he has really good athletic scores and had good production over his college career.  Could work his way into being  smaller hybrid LB or be a good special teams guy in the mean time.

7-258: Ryan McCollum - C - Texas A & M. Oline was not a huge priority in this draft as the Dolphins picked 3 guys last year and 2 the year before but I did want to come away with a center or another oline prospect.  It was disappointing to me not to be able to come away with a higher rated center.  I could not get the top rated guys and my lack of mid round picks killed me in this regard.  I also got sniped on about 4 or 5 OT's I liked shortly before my pick through the draft.

Like every GM ever, I am happy with the guys I got in this draft.  I filled some holes and took a chance on some really high upside athletic players.

As Jets fans I think we are going to be sick at how well the Dolphins do in this draft unless they really screw it up.  They are in a better spot than the Jets overall.  They do not need QB right now and they have the higher 1st rounder (18 to our 23)

Think you’re wrong about them not needing  a QB. Tua is not good.

52 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

That’s be a blast. Lots of work though

Lotssss of work. We do have four people on as mods to try it out. Fanspeak.com does something similar with their Ultimate GM tool where you can simulate the entire offseason for one or more teams including FA, trades, and draft. That's only with one person though, would be interesting to see how it would work with 32. Maybe have a spreadsheet for FAs and make bids daily with mods managing the signings at the end of each day? Idk but it is a fun idea.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

Lotssss of work. We do have four people on as mods to try it out. Fanspeak.com does something similar with their Ultimate GM tool where you can simulate the entire offseason for one or more teams including FA, trades, and draft. That's only with one person though, would be interesting to see how it would work with 32. Maybe have a spreadsheet for FAs and make bids daily with mods managing the signings at the end of each day? Idk but it is a fun idea.

Wives, significant others would love it. Between that and our draft, they’d get rid of us for 5 weeks.?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

I would not be volunteerig to mod the FA portion.  The draft is enough for me.  I would participate, but someone else would need to moderate it.  Nope. Not me.  No how.  No way.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Next year, we gotta figure out a way to do a full mock offseason where we bid against each other for FAs before the draft and then draft for our teams. 

Perfect model for that can be found over at Footballs Future.  I was going to join this year, but too many people were already in on the Jets and I didn't feel like managing another team.  

The jets traded a 6th to Washington for Bryce Love right before the draft and traded Darnold to Carolina for a 3rd + something else I think about a week before the dratt. (Amazingly accurate, don't you think?)

But here's the thing...  if you make a pre-draft trade that is franchise-changing.. and it doesn't happen in real life(i.e. Darnold), your entire draft is based on that fiction.  It's weird.  There were teams operating in total fantasy due to big pre-draft trades.  IMO, there is way too much trading of players without regard to cap issues  and way too many during the draft itself.  There is a humongous spreadsheet with relevant salary info.  It looks like a job and a half if you ask me.  I may dive in next year.  Each NFL team has its own forum and then there's an entire forum for "GM Mocks".  It's insane.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Perfect model for that can be found over at Footballs Future.  I was going to join this year, but too many people were already in on the Jets and I didn't feel like managing another team.  

The jets traded a 6th to Washington for Bryce Love right before the draft and traded Darnold to Carolina for a 3rd + something else I think about a week before the dratt. (Amazingly accurate, don't you think?)

But here's the thing...  if you make a pre-draft trade that is franchise-changing.. and it doesn't happen in real life(i.e. Darnold), your entire draft is based on that fiction.  It's weird.  There were teams operating in total fantasy due to big pre-draft trades.  IMO, there is way too much trading of players without regard to cap issues  and way too many during the draft itself.  There is a humongous spreadsheet with relevant salary info.  It looks like a job and a half if you ask me.  I may dive in next year.  Each NFL team has its own forum and then there's an entire forum for "GM Mocks".  It's insane.

I mean that does sound like a ton of work, but also like the ultimate fantasy league.. Sounds interesting. lol

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Beerfish , are you Joe Douglas ?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I did not give my thank you's to the moderators for all their work on the draft.  Much appreciated.  Moving to two hours later in the draft worked well.

This exercise of a mock draft is really helpful leading up to the real draft.  There are so many players I would have no clue about without doing research for this draft.  By the end of it I will at least recognize most of the names of guys that are drafted in the real draft.

Thanks to all participants!

This.

My biggest concern now is where will Josh Bledsoe end up. Hahaha!

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2021 at 9:38 PM, Beerfish said:

Quite a few good drafts this year.  These are the teams drafts I liked the best.

Atlanta

Carolina

Cincy

Denver

Jacksonville

Las Vegas

New York Giants

New York Jets

Pittsburgh

As GM of the Broncos, I approve of this message.? Tnx for the compliment. Coming from you, a guy that really knows and studies this stuff, it means a lot.