JetNation 2021 Mock Draft DISCUSSION

Dcat

Just now, HighPitch said:

I would have done it for kwity paye.......DOH! Im giving it all away now nevermind

Interesting... I would take Kwity Paye at 23 but no sooner. But Zachapono protected by Becton and Slater is how I ensure long term success and short term cap flexibility. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

It took hours of negotiation and eventually I caved to exactly what @section314 wanted but I’m happy with the result. I looked up my big board and realized that I had a guy that was considered a top player for me available and the ammo to move up. I tried to squeeze a mid to late round upgrade but failing at that was not worth missing out on the guy I wanted. In my mind, I lost out on a 2nd tier Edge prospect or a cornerback by losing 34 but I think it was worth it.  

Slater was the last guy I felt was a true can’t miss prospect. He would help solidify the line to protect Zachapono and he could be Fant’s low cost replacement next year. In my mind, Slater is the starting RG/ emergency RT in year one. The dude is technically sound and physically impressive. Plugging him in between McGovern and Fant as he learns the pro game helps the OL raise its level and allows the veterans to protect Slater when necessary.  

Love this 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The CB market was my biggest pause but risking that the board would fall OL heavy was not worth it to me. 

I probably would have been a little more patient, rather than give up two premium picks, but I do understand the move for Slater.  Not what I would have done, but that does not mean it was a bad move.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Interesting... I would take Kwity Paye at 23 but no sooner. But Zachapono protected by Becton and Slater is how I ensure long term success and short term cap flexibility. 

Agreed. You have the wee QB, nothing will be more important than A+++ pass pro

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

I probably would have been a little more patient, rather than give up two premium picks, but I do understand the move for Slater.  Not what I would have done, but that does not mean it was a bad move.

21 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Its an equitable trade - 23 & 34 = 1320 for Broncs # 9 = 1360. Broncs could have gotten another mid 4th to equalize the deal.  Regardless, 2 for 1 for a team that is devoid of talent just doesn't seem wise.  

For me it was all about the positional value and the circumstance of the team. We failed to fix the OL in FA and not for lack of effort or funds but rather because the price for high level OL is sky rocketing. Failing again wasn’t an option to me. We have a player of immense value in Wilson and have to secure the team around him. Knowing that I would not take an OL at 23 AND 34 the security of Slater was just much more valuable than say Asante Samuel Jr and Sam Cosmi or Dillon Radunz and Aaron Robinson. There are 2 guys that if they fall though, it will cause me to cry.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

For me it was all about the positional value and the circumstance of the team. We failed to fix the OL in FA and not for lack of effort or funds but rather because the price for high level OL is sky rocketing. Failing again wasn’t an option to me. We have a player of immense value in Wilson and have to secure the team around him. Knowing that I would not take an OL at 23 AND 34 the security of Slater was just much more valuable than say Asante Samuel Jr and Sam Cosmi or Dillon Radunz and Aaron Robinson. There are 2 guys that if they fall though, it will cause me to cry.

I see your point. Correcting the mistakes of the past and supporting the new kid. I just think it was a steep price. How much better is slater over creed, ovt, cosmi, radunz? Idk.

but it was ballsy

• Upvote 2

Just now, HighPitch said:

I see your point. Correcting the mistakes of the past and supporting the new kid. I just think it was a steep price. How much better is slater over creed, ovt, cosmi, radunz? Idk.

but it was ballsy

I believe substantially higher floor  than Cosmi and Radunz and a higher ceiling than AVT and more positional flexibility than Creed. I believe Sewell and Slater were the only 2 players that would fit in the conversation with last year’s big 4 OTs. 

Losing the second rounder hurts.

Reminder -- when you agree on a trade, please remember to PM all 4 Draft mods (me, Dcat, New York Mick and NYJetsVets91) on the trade and include both parties to the trade on the PM.  Want to make sure one of us sees it so we can update the Draft Sheet and keep things moving.  

Thanks

Just now, Greenseed4 said:

Wasn’t Jones a colossal failure last year?

I thought they had pretty good depth at CB last season.  And giving Tua a guy he knows well like Smith seemed like the obvious move to me.  That's waht I assumed the trade up would be for.