Why Justin Fields will not and cannot be the #2 pick

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I've mentioned this before, but I watched a video showing Wioson under pressure.

This is one of those times stats fail.

Wilson under pressure was him waiting 4+ seconds to get rid of the ball.

Basically a clean pocket as always...  then finally a rusher broke free.  He waits 'til the rusher gets close and then throws the ball.

When put under "real" pressure, the results were as expected.  Sack, incompletion, quick dump to the flat.

I don't hate Wilson.  But the dude is going to be in for a RUDE awakening vs top tier defensive talent.  As will be the fans of whatever team drafts him.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

I've mentioned this before, but I watched a video showing Wioson under pressure.

Basically a clean pocket as always...  then finally a rusher broke free.  He waits 'til the rusher gets close and then throws the ball.

When put under "real" pressure, the results were as expected.  Sack, incompletion, quick dump to the flat.

I don't hate Wilson.  But the dude is going to be in for a RUDE awakening vs top tier defensive talent.  As will be the fans of whatever team drafts him.

Well, your bad vision, sense of time or delusion isn't fact so...

Think we'll be okay.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Wilson got the ball out on average a half second quicker than Fields. Fields actually takes longer to get the ball out when blizted.

So yeah, total nonsense.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

Wilson got the ball out on average a half second quicker than Fields. Fields actually takes longer to get the ball out when blizted.

So yeah, total nonsense.

And you don't think defensive secondary talent level plays any role in this?

9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

dead wrong. watch the coastal carolina game or the washington game from 2019 for examples. watch then talk. thanks

fields wont be the pick at 2 because we could trade down to 8 and still get him

• Upvote 1

Just now, QB1 said:

dead wrong. watch the coastal carolina game or the washington game from 2019 for examples. watch then talk. thanks

If Fields drops to 8 then there are 5 GMs that could be fired for passing on him.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jetsrule1969 said:

Mike Drop.jpg

Well, if Michael Nania said it it has to be true.

There's been so much data showing Wilson was under pressure more than Fields or Lawrence.  It's been put on here with actual data dozens of time.

The data shows Wilson has been better at dealing with the pressure (even thought he faced it more than these other guys) 

Just because Michael Nania (whoever that is) said he wasn't under a lot of pressure - doesn't mean it's true.  

The facts are quite different when being compared to Fields and Lawrence.

1 minute ago, QB1 said:

If we were going off his 2019 performance, he might be a 6th round pick.

Don't forget it took a year vs crap opponents for him to even be known.

10 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He had 14 total TDs and 3 picks in 9 games as a true freshman. 

The outlier is the year in the middle.

His injured year is in fact the outlier.

Had the same QB rating as Lawrence in their freshman seasons. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I would have agreed until the Coastal Carolina game.  Usually additive pressure throws the QB off through a game, so I agree that he rarely faced sustained pressure, until that game.  It is worth watching.  He played great in that game and was literally harassed on every dropback.  Coastal Carolina was a good team last year.  Showed me his toughness in that game.  I am not a Wilson homer; I'd actually prefer if we got a haul for 2 and kept Darnold.  But lacking a haul at 2, I would have no problems taking him.  And I'd keep Darnold and have both come to camp (assuming noone makes a real offer of a high 2 or low 1. 

• Upvote 1