Jump to content

Draft Capital Investment by Position


ZachEY
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:
the most in the league on QB

This is kind of surprising but presumably it's mainly based on lots of fliers on 2nd and 4th round types. Darnold is the only QB we've really spent premium assets on in the last ten years.

Also kind of amazing we aren't #1 at safety given not only Adams and Maye B2B but the Louisville slugger as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

This is kind of surprising but presumably it's mainly based on lots of fliers on 2nd and 4th round types. Darnold is the only QB we've really spent premium assets on in the last ten years.

I'm assuming it's in large part because Darnold ultimately cost 4 high picks?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Nice find.  Eye opening and terribly depressing that we've taken the most swings on QB and have always come up empty

Not necessarily the most swings, but the highest investment.

I believe Darnold, as I said above, is 4 swings.  But, not 100% sure in this analysis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Found this very interesting.

Jets have used the most draft capital of any team in the league over the last 10 years on DL and the most in the league on QB.  Also, the least of any team in the league on RB and Center - we haven't drafted a center in 10 years.  Towards the bottom on Tackles as well.

..and almost as much on Safeties as they have on QBs. Equally important positions. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Found this very interesting.

Jets have used the most draft capital of any team in the league over the last 10 years on DL and the most in the league on QB.  Also, the least of any team in the league on RB and Center - we haven't drafted a center in 10 years.  Towards the bottom on Tackles as well.

boy, i read this thinking this was somehow how much drat capital the jets need to use on each position until i saw the number for defensive tackles.  interesting chart.  also interesting about the amount of draft capital used for qb.  this underscores needing to get the right guy.  kind of strange to see the giaints up there considering how long eli was qb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I'm assuming it's in large part because Darnold ultimately cost 4 high picks?

Just on the initial look, it doesn't seem like they're factoring trade value. I think it's simply a look at the number of picks used per position. Which would make sense given that the Jets continuously waste mid and late round picks on scrub QB prospects, year after year.

I believe if value were incorporated, teams like the Rams and Broncos would be significantly ahead of the Jets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Just on the initial look, it doesn't seem like they're factoring trade value. I think it's simply a look at the number of picks used per position. Which would make sense given that the Jets continuously waste mid and late round picks on scrub QB prospects, year after year.

I believe if value were incorporated, teams like the Rams and Broncos would be significantly ahead of the Jets. 

It's definitely not just the number of picks.  It's OTC's draft trade value chart:

https://overthecap.com/draft-trade-value-chart/

So, it includes the value of that pick.

That having been said, it's certainly possible (maybe even likely) that Darnold only counts for the #3 overall pick (2443), and not the other picks.  Having 3 less picks would certainly up all the percentages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, rangerous said:

boy, i read this thinking this was somehow how much drat capital the jets need to use on each position until i saw the number for defensive tackles.  interesting chart.  also interesting about the amount of draft capital used for qb.  this underscores needing to get the right guy.  kind of strange to see the giaints up there considering how long eli was qb.

Giants aren't that high.  Only 7.3 percent, and that includes Jones at 6 over all.  Looks like average at QB is about 6.5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Disgraceful neglect of the offensive line. On offence in general to be honest.

Honestly this draft is pissing me off because it’s absolutely stacked with offensive talent and of course the Jets are back round to picking a QB. We’ve picked so often in the top 10 and never had anything like a Pitts, Sewell or Chase fall into our laps. Just these “best in the draft” safeties and DT’s. It’s infuriating.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Fing Jets DEAD LAST in offensive line investment.

McCagnan should have been shot out of a canon onto a bed of spikes.

And people wonder why some of us want to use some of our top picks on the oline this year.

 

Too fast. He should have been waterboarded with coffee first. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

Interesting note: Jets have invested much more at WR than I would have expected.  I suppose the 2nd round picks have added up: Stephen Hill, Devin Smith, Denzel Mims.

We've also drafted Hansen and Stewart back to back.  There's certainly been an investment.  In the wrong ones, and mostly once all the good ones were taken.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

It's definitely not just the number of picks.  It's OTC's draft trade value chart:

https://overthecap.com/draft-trade-value-chart/

So, it includes the value of that pick.

That having been said, it's certainly possible (maybe even likely) that Darnold only counts for the #3 overall pick (2443), and not the other picks.  Having 3 less picks would certainly up all the percentages.

I suspect it’s just the value of the picks used. Darnold at #3, Geno and Hack in the second, and a fourth for Morgan. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, K_O_Brien said:

'With the second pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select..

Christian Barmore, Defensive Tackle, Alabama'. 

That would be the start of the "2021 Covid riots" as historians look back 50 years from now. Middle school students would be playing jeopardy on the class smart board in social studies and the question would read "This team drafted a DT #2 overall which led to riots in the Tri State area that sparked nationwide anarchy".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The allocation of resources to non-premium positions bother me: interior d-line, safeties

But mostly the Jets are just terrible at drafting quarterbacks, receivers and cornerbacks.

Even when we did invest in the correct positions, it was no bueno. 

Joe Douglas Baratheon should avoid interior d-lineman and safeties, yes, but mostly dude just needs to hit on draft picks. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The allocation of resources to non-premium positions bother me: interior d-line, safeties

But mostly the Jets are just terrible at drafting quarterbacks, receivers and cornerbacks.

Even when we did invest in the correct positions, it was no bueno. 

Joe Douglas Baratheon should avoid interior d-lineman and safeties, yes, but mostly dude just needs to hit on draft picks. 

Agreed. It's poor roster-building philosophy by investing premium assets into non-premium positions, but also we'd be in way better shape if Stephen Hill, Quinton Coples, Darren Lee, Calvin Pryor, Kyle Wilson, Jace Amaro, Jachai Polite, chad hanson, ardarius stewart etc. were actually real players we would be much better shape.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...