Darnold to the Panthers

1 minute ago, Lith said:

So, as of now, the Jets have traded all of Macc's first round picks except QW:

Leonard Williams, Darron Lee, Jamal and now Darnold.

I don't care how good Leonard plays in a contract year, or how many sacks Jamal has... that is one sorry list of former players. Wednesday is trash pickup day. Make sure all of that is out curbside. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, QB1 said:

Yes I would rather have a 2nd rounder this year that We can use on an OL to protect Wilson vs having that pick a year after he tears a labrum because we couldn’t protect him

We have #23 #34 and #66. Two of those three will be OL.  LT Becton.... LG ? (Tucker/Davis)... C McGovern.... RG ?.......RT Fant  . They could also grab a RT and slide Fant to G or grab a center and slide McGovern to G. Lots of options but I definitely sense JD doesn't mess with the OL and uses 2 top picks here.

Just now, Wonderboy said:

We have #23 #34 and #66. Two of those three will be OL.  LT Becton.... LG ? (Tucker/Davis)... C McGovern.... RG ?.......RT Fant  . They could also grab a RT and slide Fant to G or grab a center and slide McGovern to G. Lots of options but I definitely sense JD doesn't mess with the OL and uses 2 top picks here.

What picks we have is irrelevant, having an extra 2 would allow us to pick two OL, or  OL and another player. You aren’t making sense.

52 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

that's a good deal, next year the jets have 2 1st and 2 2nds and 2 4ths.

No, one 4th. The 4th was a swap where we got the Seahawks 3rd this year and they got our 4th next year as part of the Adams trade. But we have 10 picks this year adding that 6th to 2021 having 2 picks in round 6, 5, 3 and 1, this 2021 draft. Then next year 2022 we have 2 picks in round 1, 2 and 1 in round 3 and 4 now, and I know multiple later in the draft in rounds 6 and 7 where we have 11 total now. So we have 10 draft picks this year and 11 next year. That should be ample to build this team in 2 years even if you only hit on half of them. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Would you rather have a full year of scouting and combines and all kinds of sh*t next year or pick that second rounder this year?

Sounds nice if next year’s pick is also #39 overall.  The fact that it could be #64 shows why next year picks are devalued. 

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That I agree with.  Would much rather have the 2 this year.  

I just don't necessarily buy into the this year is worth a round later next year.  Never really bought into that logic.

what is the logic? i dont get it, I mean i understand a pick next year wont help your team till then but i much rather have a higher round pick in any draft than lower this year. I mean 2nd rounder this year will get you a good player and a 2nd will get you a good player then too. A whole round later can be the diff between starter, non starter and more importantly starter at a premium position verse starter at a less premium position - say no more good WR or CB left etc...

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah but at the same time it is two decent picks next year. Should get a solid starter at least out of the 3 picks. Pretty solid value. I really wanted to use Sam for a pick swap but this is a good alternative.

The 2nd next year will be nice.....next year.

Like I said, JD excels at getting more than expected, at least in quantity.

Far better than he's been so far in actually drafting players.

Hope he gets better at that other part.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I hope I'm dead wrong on Zachapono and he's a great.  Dont really have a choice but to root for him but this seems like a train wreck waiting to happen.

I think we are well past seems and into "destined to be" territory.

Hope i'm wrong, but haven't been yet when it comes to Jets QB's.

With Darnold gone so is hope of moving back and trying to go after Fields which is really what's most grating

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Gross. I hope we can get more than that for Zach Wilson in 2025 or I’m gonna have some real doubts about Joe Douglas. 

We got a 2nd rounder. Are you kidding me? Take the money and run....like a thief across the neighbor's yard.   Oh I forgot . You're on concussion protocol for playing HS football for 10 years.   ?

• Upvote 3

Just now, DoubleDown said:

Hate this type of analysis.  In order to get a fortune, someone needs to be willing to pay a fortune.  There is just too much assumption taking place to reasonably judge a trade based on these terms.

You mean like the fortune the 49'ers traded to the PHins for #3 overall?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, DoubleDown said:

Hate this type of analysis.  In order to get a fortune, someone needs to be willing to pay a fortune.  There is just too much assumption taking place to reasonably judge a trade based on these terms.

Not to mention that it’s a terrible analogy. Wilson is much more likely to be a winning lottery ticket than Darnold who has played for 3 years.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Stop trying to ruin things with your optimism Fidelio. ??

Your schtick is unending pessimism you not allowed to just change it because it looks like we are taking the QB  prospect you like and are flush with picks for the next few years.

Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

:-)

My pessimism was clearly justified :-)

and proven to be correct.

JD really did set himself up - just has to nail it.

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

Like him or not, Rich knows the Jets. I’d trust his opinion over a novice GM.

• Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Initial reviews by nfl insiders are not liking move 

A few thoughts...

1.  This is Joe Douglas' team, 100%.  No doubt about that.  He has full authority from ownership now it seems.

2. Heaven help us if Matt Rhule and Sam Darnold find success in the coming years.  Both could, were, should have been Jets.

3. As a fanbase we now move forward.  There's no more doubt what boat we're in.... JD is the Captain, we have a new HC and we'll have a new QB.  I need to go wash off my old posts from the Rex/Sanchez days to see how I handled this exact situation last time. lol

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm not happy about hitting reset over and over again.  I dont love the idea of strapping a rookie HC and rookie OC with a rookie QB in this division.  It sounds like an absolute nightmare destined to fail.  So I'm not happy about taking a Qb in the top 3 twice in the last 4 drafts.  Really more frustrated then that then I am going with Zachapono.  I hope I'm dead wrong on Zachapono and he's a great.  Dont really have a choice but to root for him but this seems like a train wreck waiting to happen.

There is no way Douglas and Saleh want to be strapped with holdovers from Mac/Bowles/Gase. You may not like the reset but it’s inevitable with a new regime. If they go down they want to go down with their guys.

I haven’t been a fan of Douglas but he’s right to move on from Sam and get his own guy. His fate will be tied to Wilson now which is the way it should be.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yup.  Now he actually has to pick people who do something on the field.

So far literally the only thing JD has shown as GM is that he can trade players away for more picks (Quantity) than expected.

Maybe we should hold off on his parade till he fields at least a .500 team?  Maybe?  Food for thought.

Sure. But this was the biggest move he had to make to date. There was pressure from the outside and maybe the inside to keep Darnold. Moving on from him was a huge win for Douglas. Now the clock really starts.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully, the Jets have a deal with a vet QB lined up and waiting to be signed.

Wilson will need a solid vet backup until Morgan is ready to assume the role.

I'd love to see Alex Smith, but he's probably too expensive.

Actually wouldn't mind Bridgewater if the Panthers cut him.

But we probably get someone like Nick Mullens or AJ McCarron. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Sounds nice if next year’s pick is also #39 overall.  The fact that it could be #64 shows why next year picks are devalued. 

Carolina will be the worst team in their division. This pick is equivalent to a late 1st. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

As they should. They now have him under contract for 2 years at a total of $23M. 

That's not a lot to risk on a young, starting QB who was the #3 pick 3 years ago.

If you spin the contract like that it doesn't seem bad. But it's really a $19 million 1 yr contract for 2022. If he flops that money is guaranteed and that's an expensive backup QB. That's the risk. 

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Right now I don't care about results.   I want to bask in a truly good moment for this franchise. 

This says so much about this franchise and it's PTSD Fanbase.

Glad you feel good because traded away yet another bust QB, I guess.  Rock on.

• Upvote 3