Darnold to the Panthers

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Poor Darnold, the football gods hate him. He can’t land on a team filled with all-pro’s to carry him and his new (average) team with good coaching  isn’t enough 

BOOHOO ? 

God forbid a #3 overall pick be asked to make guys around him better

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I’m okay with trading Darnold. All things considered, they got an okay return. I just have zero faith in any QB not named Lawrence in this draft. Part of me thinks we’ve basically traded the devil you know for the devil you don’t. I’m just not sure it’s going to work this time either. It’ll be interesting to see who they sign to back up. 

I hear you.  Wilson, Fields, Lance, Jones or even Trask may or may not be bona fide NFL starters.  But I do not think any of them are worth the #2 pick in the draft.  Nonetheless, it is what we are going to do.  All hail Zach Wilson. 

34 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I don't agree with this premise. I think he kept those guys as insurance in case he can't draft the lineman he wants to draft. Just watching how JD deals with contracts I'm going to assume he'd rather not keep under performing, veteran, bloated contracts on the roster if he doesn't have to. I do think you could see 2 rookie interior lineman starting. I think they'd hope they could get 2 within the first 5 picks. 

Nah, I think he wants to have one rookie start (likely from pick 23/34 but depends how things unfold) at one guard slot.

The other guard slot will be King of the Dipshits -- a 4-5 way competition of the rest of them, figuring that'll equate to someone competent enough at least for the year. At least one of the losers among Lewis/GVR/Feeney will get cut. Possibly two, but only if Clark looks dramatically better than not making the gameday roster once as a rookie.

The other 3 - McGovern & the tackles - are set. There are possible changes (the rookie may not start week 1; the rookie may be at C or RT not at G, with McGovern or Fant sliding to G) but that's basically where I think he's headed.

IMO he likes the idea of at least one of his starters on the line being a cheaper veteran, and bringing in one new starter from the draft each year. If he can get 2 from the draft, fine, but it'd be from a day 3 pick.

Thing is, Douglas isn't picking the starters. Saleh and his coaches pick the starters. It could happen, depending who's there when we're picking in round 3, but I'd be surprised to see a second OL pick by the end of day 2. We'll see.

5 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Poor Darnold, the football gods hate him. He can’t land on a team filled with all-pro’s to carry him and his new (average) team with good coaching  isn’t enough 

BOOHOO ? 

Your being silly. I just made an observation about the talent level on the team he was traded to. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I like the idea of restarting the rookie contract window. The return is meh, but the upside is this - scouting this year was negatively impacted by covid. Next year, it'll be a more normal process. I don't mind getting next year's picks.

You say this like it's a positive, and as it pertains to next year vs this years pick it is, but at the same time we are the dummies taking a 1 year wonder with an injury history at 1.2 in a year in which in season and off season scouting has been diminished.

I just don't see the wisdom of this at all,  and this is coming from someone that has been lukewarm on Sam's prospects since before his draft.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Someone told me more than once that we'd be lucky to get a 5th for Sam

that was probably me. i was surprised that JD got what he did. i will gladly admit i got that one wrong.

at least i got the other one right when i said sam wont be on this team with zack.

cant get them all right...lol

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

You say this like it's a positive, and as it pertains to next year vs this years pick it is, but at the same time we are the dummies taking a 1 year wonder with an injury history at 1.2 in a year in which in season and off season scouting has been hurt.. diminished.

I just don't see the wisdom of this at all,  and this is coming from someone that has been lukewarm on Sam's prospects since before his draft.

I don’t want Wilson. 

I want to drop back and take the last available of Fields, Lance or Mac Jones. 

I think the last one taken will be the best, because NFL.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Evaluating it from Sam’s perspective seems pretty darn good. He finally found a way to get himself surrounded with talent. Play action to Christian McCaffrey and then hitting who, Pitts or Jalen Waddle?

Pitts no. Waddle, yes. We play the Panthers this year. That game thread is going to be insane.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Yup maybe we can get a 2023 7th for him

Why's that? He's a solid somewhat accomplished player for whom teams know what they're getting with him. You could get something for him if you wanted to (this draft mid round), and if he's going to whine about the team's direction he may find himself elsewhere. The team didn't really miss a beat without Adams.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I don’t want Wilson. 

Same and keeping Darnold.gives you the flexibility to do that 

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

You say this like it's a positive, and as it pertains to next year vs this years pick it is, but at the same time we are the dummies taking a 1 year wonder with an injury history at 1.2 in a year in which in season and off season scouting has been hurt.. diminished.

The wisdom in it all (hopefully) is if Wilson completely faceplants, the Jets will be in a position to take another QB. Obviously you hope he's good. I honestly have no idea what this kid can or will be...but he looks like a better prospect than Darnold was. Much smoother.

Pretty good return.  3 picks over 2 years including a second.  Sam had his issues but I think we all agree this organization pretty much set him up to fail.  I wish him luck!!!  Well it looks like the Wilson era begin.  I have some concerns but he had a great year this year and hopefully it translates to the pros.  We can’t make the same mistake and fail to build around him 

Good luck to Darnold, seems to be a solid young man with
a good family behind him.  We all know he wasn't supported
well enough but he also didn't help himself with the injuries
and too many bad decisions.  He has a shot to reboot his career
in CAR, but Douglas does it again.  I would've been satisfied
with a #3, but to get a #6, #2 and #4 is excellent value

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I have no ill will towards Darnold and hope he has a good career any time he is not playing the Jets. He seems like a good guy who tried and either isn't cut out for the NFL or didn't have a good opportunity here--we'll find out which is true in Carolina. 

This is a pretty good trade for somebody most here thought was worth a single third or fourth round pick. Sure, the trade favors next year's draft but these three picks are better than a single mid-round pick this year. The criticism about getting picks in the following year just doesn't land. If Douglas can flip players he doesn't want on the roster for multiple picks year over year as he has (Adams, Darnold) then the team has a long term opportunity to build through the draft which hasn't happened in more than a decade. Douglas seems capable of getting himself the opportunity to build through the draft but we'll have to see where we are at the end of the month to assess whether he can execute on that plan. 

For the rest of the month we have plenty of unanswered questions. Will Douglas draft a QB? Who? Is Watson definitely off the table now that the seat is empty? Who will be the backup QB? Will Douglas bring in a vet or run with Morgan as the #2?

Yes. Wilson.

Watson?  C’mon. Can we all move on. No owner will approve a trade for that nuclear bomb. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

This trade does nothing for me emotionally. I can't get excited for a 6th rounder this year. 

So much for trading up into the top 10. We're definitely trading down at 23. There's no way we stay. 

Why do you say that?   We have 10 picks this year and 11 for next.   Only so many rookies can make the team in any given year so why not move up for a targeted player with the extra picks?

When Idzik used all 14 picks that year it was a waste.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

If Geno Smith can still be in the league at age 30, Darnold will make it to 28.

Kellen Clemens played 12 years in the league until he was 34.

The Jets are excellent at drafting backups.

(Another reason I was so mad at the Morgan pick, there are always tons of backups kicking around this league often low coast vets who can play a bit.)

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I don’t want Wilson. 

Something about Wilson rubs me the wrong way. Other than his slight frame, and shoulder surgeries.