Darnold to the Panthers

15 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Yeah, and the one organization that uses draft history and player performance to make such projections says that Wilson is only just slightly more risky than Trevor Lawrence. So what's your point again?

Because of Wilson's status as a one-year wonder, there are doubts about how reflective 2020 was of his true ability. And it doesn't help that 2020 comes with questions about BYU's weak, cobbled-together schedule as a result of the pandemic. However, even with the one-year wonder penalty (which isn't too harsh because Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, and Russell Wilson were also one-year wonders), Wilson earns a high projection. Aside from carrying BYU to an 11-1 record, he completed 73.5% of his passes while regularly showing off his arm strength and putting up solid rushing numbers. Moreover, if he is taken second overall as many expect, his projection will be neck-and-neck with Lawrence's at 0.72. Having said that, in addition to one-year wonder and schedule concerns, which we have accounted for, there are also durability concerns with Wilson that are harder to quantify but are still worth taking into consideration.

Bolded + limited ability to scout / eval= more risk than a normal year.

13 minutes ago, doitny said:

dont know if you guys seen this, didnt feel like reading 31 pages...

just had to post this for all those sam fans i argued with these past few weeks who told me there will be no QB controversy, no distraction.

Well, then I now disagree with both you AND Cimini. :P

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, doitny said:

wait, the jets morale squad was alive and well then? probably told management that they cant have a pot head like Dan Marino on there team. what bad things people will say about the Jets.

Miami said.... hey we will take him, thanks Jets... the rest is history.

for you younger guys, pot was a serious offense in 1983

Was it? Smoked to much of it to remember. 

• Haha 2

I like Sam, never found him quite as endearing as Pennington or Sanchez but he seems a good dude.

Next season we will answer the long running question over what he can do with weapons, because Carolina are stacked offensively and could add even more premiere elite at #8. He's going from one of the league's worst situations to one of the best. No more excuses for him but I do wish him well. I wont care one way or the other so long as Wilson produces for us. We had to move on, there's no way a GM who didn't draft him can commit another year to a guy who's been so terrible. It should never have been up for debate.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I think Wilson may have actually beaten Costal Carolina if he had Justin Jefferson and Ja'Maar Chase at wide receiver. But who knows?

I think Zach Wilson might have been exploded into a thousand little pieces and went on to work for his uncle if he ever got sacked by an SEC-quality edge rusher, but who knows?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Drums said:

I like this. Now we can see what Joe Brady can do with Sam and we can see if he can improve. JD seems to "take care" of the players he trades away (they go to good teams) and he gets a good return. 

I really love this about JD he did the best could for Darnold and I respect that. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Burrow went out and dominated the SEC. Wilson lost to Coastal Carolina

Ok now I know this is a schtick, did you bother to watch the coastal Carolina game? (Takes 10 minutes on YouTube).

12 hours ago, choon328 said:

Notice how I said "If Favre didn't get hurt". Pennington threw 19 tds and 7 int, the literal definition of a game manager. I guess we'll just ignore the fact that Favre beat him and the Dolphins week 1. Also, we're talking about that 1 year, who cares about if he stayed or not. 

And Pennington threw 1 TD in the remaining 2 years of his career. What happened to him after 2008?

And Favre threw how many TDS for the Jets after 2008? Zilch, zippo, zero. He used the Jets to get to Minnesota. That’s it. The Jets were a one night stand for Favre when he wanted to marry the Vikings after his divorce from GB. And in the end, it wasn’t a very good night for the Jets. 

• WTF? 1

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Good luck to the kid who couldn’t earn the captaincy of his cheeseballs Mormon college squad earning the respect of his new locker room. Marcus Maye just now:

It is interesting that Maye doesn’t like the trade it says the players on the field liked Darnold.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I like Sam, never found him quite as endearing as Pennington or Sanchez but he seems a good dude.

Next season we will answer the long running question over what he can do with weapons, because Carolina are stacked offensively and could add even more premiere elite at #8. He's going from one of the league's worst situations to one of the best. No more excuses for him but I do wish him well. I wont care one way or the other so long as Wilson produces for us. We had to move on, there's no way a GM who didn't draft him can commit another year to a guy who's been so terrible. It should never have been up for debate.

Usually I disagree with you a lot but I think you made a great fair post.  Look even though I am a Darnold believer I have always admitted his flaws.  However I think we can all agree that he was in a putrid situation for his entire Jet career.  Most fans agree with that and wish him well.  Yes you’re correct now there won’t be any excuses for him because he is going to a much better situation 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think Zach Wilson might have been exploded into a thousand little pieces and went on to work for his uncle if he ever got sacked by an SEC-quality edge rusher, but who knows?

I do love me a salty Tomas. Perhaps my favorite Tomas, next to the survivor-of-the-Indianapolis Tomas. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And Favre threw how many TDS for the Jets after 2008? Zilch, zippo, zero. He used the Jets to get to Minnesota. That’s it. The Jets were a one night stand for Favre when he wanted to marry the Vikings after his divorce from GB. And in the end, it wasn’t a very good night for the Jets. 

And the point of this conversation was about that one surviving year,  not the longevity of Favres Jets career. The Jets had their 2nd most wins in the last 14 years that year. Idk how that's a failure. 

I'm not going to lie here, there's a part of me that's upset about this. I really wanted Sammy to get a legitimate opportunity here. But at the end of the day, it is what it is.

I guess I'm happy to see Sammy get an opportunity with a good team. The Panthers have everything the Jets don't.... Good GM, a talented team, good coaching.

I believe those 3 variables makes it a virtual certainly that we'll now see Sammy become the franchise QB I always knew he could be.....

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Gramsci said:

I don't really understand this whole "one year wonder" issue, it is a fairly normal thing for athletes to figure out things and to become better. In other sports this debate is almost non-existent when it comes to junior athletes evolve in this manner.

Should Zach Wilson be guilty of improving as a player?

I think the concern is that a 1 year wonder has literally never succeed in the NFL and the Jets are about to draft one at #2 overall.  And then specifically in the Jest situation, you're about to strap a 1 year wonder with an injury history who is total fools gold with a rookie HC, rookie OC who never called a play on a Football field in his life and he happens to be joining the worst team in Football. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

Disappointing to say the least. for starters, I've seen the jets cycle through QB's for as long as I can remember but the Darnold situation, to me, was different. I don't think this kid was given a playable hand from the moment he arrived here. It looks like this team may finally have something going here as far as offensive system, front office, and etc. and the jets unload him. Secondly, this all but ends the debate that the jets are going to sell the number 2 pick to the highest bidder and set this team up with more draft capital than any other team for the next 2-3 drafts. I don't think Darnold was the answer but I still think there was enough upside to roll with him and capitalize on that #2 trade. The Jets really had a chance to put themselves into position to build a strong overall team, to grab 5-6-7 elite first round prospects over the next handful of drafts. It appears that instead of a taking multiple shots, they've decided to take one big shot on an unproven one year wonder in the hopes that he can turn around this franchise. I hope wilson is great but taking a QB next year with all that draft capital feels like the smarter move.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think the concern is that a 1 year wonder has literally never succeed in the NFL and the Jets are about to draft one at #2 overall.  And then specifically in the Jest situation, you're about to strap a 1 year wonder with an injury history who is total fools gold with a rookie HC, rookie OC who never called a play on a Football field in his life and he happens to be joining the worst team in Football. 

Kyler Murray is a one year wonder. Burrow is a one year wonder. Arguably the best QB ever is a one year wonder. And the first two mentioned were drafted one overall. “Total fool’s gold” isn’t a fact either. 

• Upvote 1

I wanted Sam out of here since the off season and I like what JD got back in the trade, but it’s bittersweet. Three years ago when we drafted Darnold I had visions he would be our franchise QB for 15 years with a couple of championships thrown in for good measure. It was not meant to be. Part of the problem was changing the offensive scheme every few years and the numerous injuries, but we have to face the fact is that we ruined him with a lack of talent around him. Heck Patrick Mahomes would of flopped here to if put into the same circumstances. What a shame. I wish him well in Carolina. Moving forward the debate on this forum will continue up until draft night on which QB we should draft. There is however one thing we can all agree on is that it’s imperative that JD has a good draft over the next couple of years or it really won’t matter who’s under center for us.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

Carson Palmer was a 1 year wonder. Burrow looked pretty good last year too.

I think Joe Burrow, who dominated the SEC, knee blew up into a thousand little pieces when he was hit by an NFL player.  Watson knee blew up when he wasn't touched in practice after dominating College football.  
Wilson has arm talent, reasonable size and strength, a tremendous work ethic and he seems like he's got a little bit of an edge to him.  
FYI the only SB the Jets won was guaranteed by a QB who was broken into a thousand little pieces in College. 
We've drafted plenty of stout, injury free QB's who have sucked at the NFL level.  The last decent QB we drafted who didn't suck at the NFL level was Chad who was fragile as an egg and had a rag arm.
Wilson has the arm, the release, foot speed, work ethic and his a prick.  Everything you want in an elite NFL QB.  If he gets hurt he gets hurt.  Very few elite NFL players walk away from the game and live a healthy normal life.  Injuries are part of the game.  This obsession with injury potential is insane.  The brain is protected by a skull.  There isn't an NFL QB on any roster who's brain isn't at high risk to concussion and incremental permeant injury.  
Thank you for this excellent post.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Kyler Murray is a one year wonder. Burrow is a one year wonder. Arguably the best QB ever is a one year wonder. And the first two mentioned were drafted one overall. “Total fool’s gold” isn’t a fact either. 

Kyler Murrary is 13-18-1.  He's an ok player.  Burrow literally didnt even finish his rookie season.  Neither players are great, Murrary hasnt warranted the #1 overall pick.   Murrary I will give you as a 1 year wonder.  Burrow, was not.  

Wilson is fools gold, that's a fact.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1