Darnold to the Panthers

I'm trying to soldier on through this, but it's disappointing that of all the scenarios that could have played out, once again it's the one I'm least fond of that (will likely) come to pass. Should be used to it by now. After the Sugar bowl I was jacked; Well if we don't trade back, exciting times are on the horizon with this kid - holy sh*t... 

nope. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Barton said:

Carson Palmer was a 1 year wonder. Burrow looked pretty good last year too.

wha?  Carson Palmer was a starter for 3 seasons at USC, there for 5.   Palmer was being touted as the #1 overall for like 3 years.

Burrow was not a 1 year wonder.  Anyone that was watching the SEC could see the Burrow was coming on as he settled in as LSU's starter.  He finished 18 on fire and it carried into the greatest season for a QB in the history of college Football.  He was in college for 5 years, at 2 programs.  

Wilson was a nobody, who nobody on this board had ever heard of and then suddenly he's a somebody, throwing up hail mary's vs. nobodies.  I dont find any of these players comparable. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Kyler Murrary is 13-18-1.  He's an ok player.  Burrow literally didnt even finish his rookie season.  Neither players are great, Murrary hasnt warranted the #1 overall pick.   Murrary I will give you as a 1 year wonder.  Burrow, was not.  

Wilson is fools gold, that's a fact.

Now it’s great? You said succeeded. And both are young stars anyway. And Burrow was a 1 year wonder.

nah not a fact

14 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Actually you are the one that is expressing the woe-is-me loser mentality with this post. Darnold was done here and I was one of his biggest supporters. This was the right move and landed us 3 draft picks. What did you expect exactly and what is your solution. 

The trade, in and of itself, is fine.  Better than fine really, JD has proven himself so far good at only one thing above all else, trading away players and getting draft picks in return.  It is his top item on his resume, rightfully so.  Sam was not worth what we got at the time we moved him.  So it's a fine enough trade.  But it's not a win for us, or the Jets, it's the end of a massive, horrific failure by this organization, to properly evaluate talent, to support that talent after it is drafted, and to provide anything like a competitive roster or coaching staff.  To celebrate this like being in this spot, now, is a good thing?  

Since you asked, two things:

I expect our resident Darnold-is-the-greatest-he's-so-elite posters who hyped him up like he was a golden god the last three years, and sh*t all over anyone who expressed any objective criticism or analysis or doubts about him, to maybe not be so loud in this moment about how happy they are.

And I expect us, as a collective fanbase, to not celebrate like we won something big when a #3 pick QB we paid a massive sum to acquire only three years ago is traded away because he's a bust.

This isn't a celebration moment. 

It should be a reflection moment for alot of folks here.  A time to ponder why so many of you were so completely and utterly wrong about Darnold.  To reign in some of that over the top "he's the best ever!" unjustified hype, and to try and look at players just a little more objectively once in a while.  Not to not root for them, but to at least make an effort at being objective about them and how good (or not) they are.

The fact that it clearly isn't is why I have trouble with so many of you "durrr, we're fans being fans" people.  Being a fan isn't an excuse for not thinking, and it's not an excuse to sh*t on people who do think.  And after three years of debate where you called guys like me every terrible name in the book for saying Darnold had issues, seeing you suddenly forget all that and cheer the trade elicits some rightful frustration.  But I get it.  Let the NegReps continue to flow, lol.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think the concern is that a 1 year wonder has literally never succeed in the NFL and the Jets are about to draft one at #2 overall.  And then specifically in the Jest situation, you're about to strap a 1 year wonder with an injury history who is total fools gold with a rookie HC, rookie OC who never called a play on a Football field in his life and he happens to be joining the worst team in Football. 

I’d add that his offensive line was excellent to the point that it looked like he was playing seven on seven at times and no matter how many draft picks the Jets spend on the offensive line that will not be the case. Not sure how someone whose big year came with that kind of blocking can really be fully evaluated.

The other one is decision making related and I suppose you’d hope the teams has gotten a sense for him saying yeah I know that throw isn’t going to work against NFL athletes I only made that decision because the DB was slow when I watched them on tape or whatever. But given it seems the line thing is being ignored...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

I'm trying to soldier on through this, but disappointing that of all the scenarios that could have played, once again it's the one I'm least fond of that (will likely) come to pass. Should be used to it by now. After the Sugar bowl I was jacked. Well if we don't trade back, exciting times are on the horizon with this kid - holy sh*t... 

nope. 

Boo hoo, dude

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5

1 minute ago, Tranquilo said:

Now it’s great? You said succeeded. And both are young stars anyway. And Burrow was a 1 year wonder.

nah not a fact

great, succeed...take your pick.  Neither are good nor are there teams.  Burrow ended the season on IR.

All fact.  All I do is spit facts.  You're a feels guy.   So lame.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

great, succeed...take your pick.  Neither are good nor are there teams.  Burrow ended the season on IR.

They are both good. And ending the season on IR doesn’t mean sh*t about his ability.

think you need to look up facts 

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Tranquilo said:

Hahahah you’re crying about how the Jets are not doing what you want and I need to grow up? 

yea it's a fcking message. What do you think ppl do here, besides discuss the team and their feelings about said team. Go taste ass somewhere else. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

wha?  Carson Palmer was a starter for 3 seasons at USC, there for 5.   Palmer was being touted as the #1 overall for like 3 years.

Burrow was not a 1 year wonder.  Anyone that was watching the SEC could see the Burrow was coming on as he settled in as LSU's starter.  He finished 18 on fire and it carried into the greatest season for a QB in the history of college Football.  He was in college for 5 years, at 2 programs.  

Wilson was a nobody, who nobody on this board had ever heard of and then suddenly he's a somebody, throwing up hail mary's vs. nobodies.  I dont find any of these players comparable. 

Agreed.   He was also a 23 year old 5th year player when he played in the National Championship game.  Hardly fits the mold of what draft analysts refer to as a one year wonder.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, derp said:

I’d add that his offensive line was excellent to the point that it looked like he was playing seven on seven at times and no matter how many draft picks the Jets spend on the offensive line that will not be the case. Not sure how someone whose big year came with that kind of blocking can really be fully evaluated.

The other one is decision making related and I suppose you’d hope the teams has gotten a sense for him saying yeah I know that throw isn’t going to work against NFL athletes I only made that decision because the DB was slow when I watched them on tape or whatever. But given it seems the line thing is being ignored...

I've studied his game intently, he's a complete break down, restart, rebuild from scratch.  He's a total mess with his feet and his mechanics are terrible.  His decision making sucks.  His long ball sucks.  He fades in clean pockets, he leaves clean pockets, throws across his body, throws into double coverage and he doesnt see the middle of the field - he is literally Sam Darnold all over again except his arm has more pop but oh well, hopefully these dudes who have never developed a QB can fix all that all that and make an NFL QB out of him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Wait is your argument "Joe Burrow is not good because he ended the season on IR"? 

Burrow was on pace to have one of if not the best passing season by a rookie in the modern NFL. He was the first rookie to throw for 300 yards in three consecutive games...ever. He completed more passes through his first 7 games than any other rookie. ever. 

Understand your narrative around 1 year wonders being scary - and i'm with you I actually am not sold on Kyler at all, but the Burrow "facts" are more so "jaded opinion" 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I'm not going to lie here, there's a part of me that's upset about this. I really wanted Sammy to get a legitimate opportunity here. But at the end of the day, it is what it is.

I guess I'm happy to see Sammy get an opportunity with a good team. The Panthers have everything the Jets don't.... Good GM, a talented team, good coaching.

I believe those 3 variables makes it a virtual certainly that we'll now see Sammy become the franchise QB I always knew he could be.....

But will Sam beat out TB if Carolina cant trade TB ?

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

yea it's a fcking message. What do you think ppl do here, besides discuss the team and their feelings about said team. Go taste ass somewhere else. 

He's a total goober, cant figure out who he is that was banned and came back.

• Post of the Week 1

While I'm sad to see Sam go, I wish him the best in Carolina... I'm probably like most who liked Sam that think he was short changed here with the JETS, but that doesn't excuse the lack of growth that I expected from him. I'm guessing I was wrong as many that his ability to handle the mental aspect of the game just wasn't there. Whether that's on him or the coaches that he was surrounded by is yet to be determined. Since I live in NC now, watching the Panthers should tell that story lol... @Jetsfan80

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   He was also a 23 year old 5th year player when he played in the National Championship game.  Hardly fits the mold of what draft analysts refer to as a one year wonder.  

100%. Started games at Ohio St. and LSU. 

Throw in the sh*t he did vs. UGA, Oklahoma and then Bama....again, not comparable.  The guy literally threw for 16 TD's in those 3 games.  That's half of Wilson's entire TD production this year, in the 3 games.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Tell us more about succeeding and great players who aren’t 1 year wonders 

I would but you're brains are dumb and apparently cant comprehend simple concepts, so I'll chat with more useful posters.  

1 minute ago, JiF said:

100%. Started games at Ohio St. and LSU. 

Throw in the sh*t he did vs. UGA, Oklahoma and then Bama....again, not comparable.  The guy literally threw for 16 TD's in those 3 games.  That's half of Wilson's entire TD production this year, in the 3 games.

Lol he didn’t start games at Ohio State. Once again, don’t know sh*t. 

45 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I wanted Sam out of here since the off season and I like what JD got back in the trade, but it’s bittersweet. Three years ago when we drafted Darnold I had visions he would be our franchise QB for 15 years with a couple of championships thrown in for good measure. It was not meant to be. Part of the problem was changing the offensive scheme every few years and the numerous injuries, but we have to face the fact is that we ruined him with a lack of talent around him. Heck Patrick Mahomes would of flopped here to if put into the same circumstances. What a shame. I wish him well in Carolina. Moving forward the debate on this forum will continue up until draft night on which QB we should draft. There is however one thing we can all agree on is that it’s imperative that JD has a good draft over the next couple of years or it really won’t matter who’s under center for us.

Yup pretty much any QB would have flopped here.  I don’t care how good you are if you have one of the worst olines, lack of weapons, and easily the two worst coaches in a 3 year span you are not going to succeed 

• Upvote 1

Saleh, Hymie, Christopher were the most prominent figures in favor of keeping Darnold. Really goes to show how much power Douglas has (also, how ironic is it that Woody has come in and essentially empowered the GM even more?). But don't think this is contentious... coaching staff is high on Zach Wilson, they just don't look at the contractual stuff; they felt that they could get out of Darnold what they hope to get out of Wilson, plus it would free up additional resources. 

Most people are in the office but the Jets had an internal zoom call and people say they put up a sincere united front

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, BoogSportsGuy said:

Wait is your argument "Joe Burrow is not good because he ended the season on IR"? 

Burrow was on pace to have one of if not the best passing season by a rookie in the modern NFL. He was the first rookie to throw for 300 yards in three consecutive games...ever. He completed more passes through his first 7 games than any other rookie. ever. 

Understand your narrative around 1 year wonders being scary - and i'm with you I actually am not sold on Kyler at all, but the Burrow "facts" are more so "jaded opinion" 

Never said that, I just dont thin Burrow proved anything last year. He threw the ball a lot because they sucked and couldnt run the ball but I didnt see anything out of Burrow that made me think he was good to go.  Still lot of questions there...the analytics, actually didnt like his season at all but the jury is still out.

Herbert threw for 300 in consecutive games, twice last season.  In fact, he did it in his first 2 ever starts.  Watch the 2 side by side, Herbet was 1000x better. 

Not sure what I'm saying about Burrow that is opinion.  Is anyone read to plant a flag in him as a hit?  I'm not, the rest of what I've said about him is, well, fact.