Jump to content

Darnold to the Panthers


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Robby Anderson be like   

Best of luck to Sam. I’ll be rooting for him!

The username lives on!!  

Posted Images

Every time we bust, we retroactively see the red flags.  With Sammy, we ignored his declining production and turnover machinery in college.  It was right there to see.

Milliner was fragile but we took him anyway.  It was right there to see.

Wilson's fragile too.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

April 6, 2021 @ 11:30am » Zach Koons

Robby Anderson Reacts To Being Reunited With Sam Darnold

CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA - AUGUST 21: Carolina Panthers Offensive Coordinator Joe Brady talks to Robby Anderson #11 of the Carolina Panthers during the Carolina Panthers Training Camp at Bank of America Stadium on August 21, 2020 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Jacob Kupferman/Getty Images)

The Carolina Panthers stunned the NFL by trading for New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold on Monday afternoon. The deal helps the Jets stockpile draft picks for an impending rebuild and gives the 23-year-old, former No. 3 overall pick an opportunity as a starter elsewhere.

But, Darnold won’t be surrounded by entirely unfamiliar faces on the Panthers. In fact, he’ll have a reunion with his former teammate, Robby Anderson.

The former Jets wide receiver developed quite the rapport with Darnold during their two seasons together in New York. Anderson racked up 102 catches for 1,531 yards and 11 touchdowns in 30 games with the young quarterback throwing him the ball, helping him earn a two-year, $20 million deal in Carolina.

Anderson, now 27, said he was surprised to see that Darnold had been traded to the Panthers on Tuesday. However, he said that the two developed a mutual trust towards the end of their time together in New York and could work on re-building that in 2021.

“I think me and Sam had very good chemistry,” Anderson said in an appearance on NFL Network on Tuesday. “I think that really stems from communication and just trust. I think if you look at the growth between me and Sam, you notice toward the back end of me being with the Jets, him throwing the ball up in double coverage and just throwing the ball up. That came with time and just trust in me making those plays and coming through for him in the clutch.”

Anderson is fresh off of the best season of his five-year stint in the NFL that saw him post career highs in receptions (95) and yards (1,096). He now hopes to continue that success, while providing Darnold with a more reliable receiving option.

“Me personally speaking, I just think Sam kinda, his development was not correct with the Jets,” he said. “I think he didn’t have the best supporting cast around him, the best coaching to get him to his full potential.”

If Darnold and Anderson can re-establish their past connection, the Panthers offense should feel much better about its passing attack next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

 

 

And while that may be, here’s a gentle reminder that Schefter has been a day late and a dollar short “reporting” what Joe is up to for two off seasons now. So at least keep that in mind when hearing how “strongly” joe feels. And certainly don’t take anything to the bank just yet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Every time we bust, we retroactively see the red flags.  With Sammy, we ignored his declining production and turnover machinery in college.  It was right there to see.

Milliner was fragile but we took him anyway.  It was right there to see.

Wilson's fragile too.

Not comparing Zach to TL...I’m not. But if you squint hard enough, you can find warts anywhere and every where. Even Trevor has his “yeah but’s”. It’s called Monday morning QBing for a reason. Every pass looks crystal clear with hindsight. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, JiF said:

Mike is busy working the back door channels to actually get Wilson to San Fran.

Think of how many balloons they’ll drop in that home video!

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JiF said:

So Greg Knapp is in charge of developing Zach Wilson?

Awesome.  I feel very confident now.

 

no, there is an entire offensive coaching staff there to coach up and develop the players. i gave you one example of a very experienced offensive assistant who has worked with multiple pro bowl (and hall of fame) QBs to rebut your ridiculous claim that nobody in the building knows how to coach and develop a QB.

i get it that they don't have your level of expertise in evaluating and coaching QBs at the nfl level (you being an internet expert and all and guys like knapp only having coached multiple pro bowl QBs).  but maybe, just maybe, we should give these guys a shot before literally calling it a fact that they will fail.

i'm kind of confused here.  are you complaining the jets traded away darnold or that they will draft wilson or that you don't approve of the coaching staff?  or is it a poo-poo platter from all of the above.?  do you think there is a QB in this draft that doesn't need coaching and development?  do you think darnold, if he wasn't traded, didn't need coaching and development?

or are you just some internet poster who complains about pretty much everything and is so self-assured in your own football smarts that you think you know better than all these people who actually get paid to evaluate and coach players?

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

 

 

Add JD having to talk Saleh into trading Sam and its clear hes willing to risk his career on Wilson.

I'm not optimistic.

They should have already signed Alex Smith by now.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Just heard Kiper say Darnold would go third overall if he were in the 2021 draft. The media is beyond clown shoes. 

Mel Kiper hasn't watched a single Jets game in 3 years

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Icer said:

Mel Kiper hasn't watched a single Jets game in 3 years

Jeremiah is the only one (on major networks) I pay attention to for analysis. Schefter and Rapoport for news. Everyone else is clueless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Just heard Kiper say Darnold would go third overall if he were in the 2021 draft. The media is beyond clown shoes. 

Presumably behind Wilson, the guy we are drafting this year?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slats said:

Well, Cimini has inside information that there would've been a QB controversy/distraction, because he would've been one of the primary authors of it. 

of course. Rich lites the match and social media pours the gasoline.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Presumably behind Wilson, the guy we are drafting this year?

Kiper has fields a few slots (overall) ahead of Wilson

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RVAJet815 said:

Kiper has fields a few slots (overall) ahead of Wilson

Right, I do, as well. But even Kiper said that he thinks Wilson is going #2 overall. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Kiper has fields a few slots (overall) ahead of Wilson

Pretty sure he swapped Fields and Wilson in his rankings once the Jets were linked to Wilson. 
 

🤡 🤡 🤡

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Pretty sure he swapped Fields and Wilson in his rankings once the Jets were linked to Wilson. 
 

🤡 🤡 🤡

I think so too. He was awfully high on Wilson last year. Then suddenly that changed and he was “raw”. Wonder what happened 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, football guy said:

Saleh, Hymie, Christopher were the most prominent figures in favor of keeping Darnold. Really goes to show how much power Douglas has (also, how ironic is it that Woody has come in and essentially empowered the GM even more?). But don't think this is contentious... coaching staff is high on Zach Wilson, they just don't look at the contractual stuff; they felt that they could get out of Darnold what they hope to get out of Wilson, plus it would free up additional resources. 

Most people are in the office but the Jets had an internal zoom call and people say they put up a sincere united front

 

Glad to have a GM that overrules his HC when he needs to, without creating a contentious relationship.

Sounds to me like we finally have a functional chain of command.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JiF said:

Burrow was 100% going to drafted, albeit a late rounder.  He then proceeded to have the greatest season in the history of college Football and won a Nat'y.

Cam Newton faced the same talent level as Zach Wilson, won a Nat'y.  Then he did it with the big boys.  He didnt lose a game for 2 straight seasons.  He won a Heisman.  

The moral to the story, neither were one year wonders and both actually did something to warrant the hype and warrant being taken #1 overall.  It's not even remotely similar.  At all. 

Think what you want.  Cam played in a scrub league and didn’t produce until his return.  Argue all you want.  He may not have been drafted out of Binn.  
 The list is long QBs as well as position players who come on in their final seasons and go on to the NFL and flourish.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, flgreen said:

April 6, 2021 @ 11:30am » Zach Koons

Robby Anderson Reacts To Being Reunited With Sam Darnold

CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA - AUGUST 21: Carolina Panthers Offensive Coordinator Joe Brady talks to Robby Anderson #11 of the Carolina Panthers during the Carolina Panthers Training Camp at Bank of America Stadium on August 21, 2020 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Jacob Kupferman/Getty Images)

The Carolina Panthers stunned the NFL by trading for New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold on Monday afternoon. The deal helps the Jets stockpile draft picks for an impending rebuild and gives the 23-year-old, former No. 3 overall pick an opportunity as a starter elsewhere.

But, Darnold won’t be surrounded by entirely unfamiliar faces on the Panthers. In fact, he’ll have a reunion with his former teammate, Robby Anderson.

The former Jets wide receiver developed quite the rapport with Darnold during their two seasons together in New York. Anderson racked up 102 catches for 1,531 yards and 11 touchdowns in 30 games with the young quarterback throwing him the ball, helping him earn a two-year, $20 million deal in Carolina.

Anderson, now 27, said he was surprised to see that Darnold had been traded to the Panthers on Tuesday. However, he said that the two developed a mutual trust towards the end of their time together in New York and could work on re-building that in 2021.

“I think me and Sam had very good chemistry,” Anderson said in an appearance on NFL Network on Tuesday. “I think that really stems from communication and just trust. I think if you look at the growth between me and Sam, you notice toward the back end of me being with the Jets, him throwing the ball up in double coverage and just throwing the ball up. That came with time and just trust in me making those plays and coming through for him in the clutch.”

Anderson is fresh off of the best season of his five-year stint in the NFL that saw him post career highs in receptions (95) and yards (1,096). He now hopes to continue that success, while providing Darnold with a more reliable receiving option.

“Me personally speaking, I just think Sam kinda, his development was not correct with the Jets,” he said. “I think he didn’t have the best supporting cast around him, the best coaching to get him to his full potential.”

If Darnold and Anderson can re-establish their past connection, the Panthers offense should feel much better about its passing attack next year.

This is the same Robby Anderson who after not getting a deal from the Jets posted a video of all of Sams incomplete passes right?

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

 

no, there is an entire offensive coaching staff there to coach up and develop the players. i gave you one example of a very experienced offensive assistant who has worked with multiple pro bowl (and hall of fame) QBs to rebut your ridiculous claim that nobody in the building knows how to coach and develop a QB.

i get it that they don't have your level of expertise in evaluating and coaching QBs at the nfl level (you being an internet expert and all and guys like knapp only having coached multiple pro bowl QBs).  but maybe, just maybe, we should give these guys a shot before literally calling it a fact that they will fail.

i'm kind of confused here.  are you complaining the jets traded away darnold or that they will draft wilson or that you don't approve of the coaching staff?  or is it a poo-poo platter from all of the above.?  do you think there is a QB in this draft that doesn't need coaching and development?  do you think darnold, if he wasn't traded, didn't need coaching and development?

or are you just some internet poster who complains about pretty much everything and is so self-assured in your own football smarts that you think you know better than all these people who actually get paid to evaluate and coach players?

And I asked a clarifying question, gave you rep and said I feel confident now. .  I kind of forgot Knapp was on the team.  He's been around forever and could be a good mentor.  Gives me more confidence in the set up rather then a rookie CS taking it all on himself. 

Since you're so interested in my feelings, I'll explain further; it's frustrating to hit reset all the time and openly admit that's driving a lot of my feelings.  I think Darnold was an organization failure and fear the same could happen again.  I dont like the idea (though Knapp being around does give me more confidence) in strapping a rookie HC, rookie OC, rookie DC with a rookie QB on this terrible team, in this division.  I dont like Zach Wilson as a prospect.   While it's exciting to be moving on from Gase/Darnold and I cant argue with the logic (other draft choice), it's still frustrating.  Part of me wanted to see a trade down, build around Sam away from Gase but that's also because I dont like Zach Wilson as a prospect.  I feel he's very similar to Sam but at least with Sam, he's been through the ringer.  I'm hopeful in Saleh but who the **** knows what we're getting.  I assume it's an upgrade because Gase was the worst but we dont .really know.   That includes you. My tone, would probably different if there was a different name being talked about as a prospect but I like to think of myself as fair in my takes. Either way, I'm going to speak my mind because that's why I'm hear and dont give a **** if you have a problem with it. 

So that being said, stop with your childish name calling expert this expert that bull sh*t.  We're all here, talking, I'm having a conversation with you and being respectful.  Sorry if the way I present my opinions offends you but rest assured, you're coming off the same way sweetheart.  I'm treating you respect while you attack me like you're the moral authority on how I'm allowed to post my opinions on the interwebz.  And yes, I will sit here confidently and say that me and numerous other posters on this site could have run the Jets better then the ones in charge over the last 10 years because it's been a ******* clown show.  You're not getting paid either, homeboy, so should we all sh*t on your opinions?

Now tighten up, get with the program or have a nice ******* day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tepper wants to be competitive, and he has coaches that can help coach a QB.

Darnold was the best QB they were going to get here, for an average cost of about $12mm/year for two years.  They can give him a shot.  Nothing is stopping them from drafting a QB this year or next year.  

They can fix and flip him.

But Darnold is not winning you a championship.  He is helping to fill the seats and make the team entertaining.  

The Jets had options for the 2 pick to get a QB for 3-4 years at $10mm/year, and get out of paying Darnold $5mm.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BigRy56 said:

Really surprised how Darnold missing like 4 games a season slides right under the radar. That's a major red flag, no?

Correct.  You can't call a guy a solution at QB if he misses 3+ games a year.  And all 3 injuries/ailments were ridiculous.  The rookie year injury was a dubious one where he shouldn't have missed more than 1 game, if any games at all.  Then he gets a teenager's disease.  Then hurts his shoulder on a play that was entirely his own fault, because the doofus held onto the ball for an eternity.  

He's a soft b*tch.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Think what you want.  Cam played in a scrub league and didn’t produce until his return.  Argue all you want.  He may not have been drafted out of Binn.  
 The list is long QBs as well as position players who come on in their final seasons and go on to the NFL and flourish.  

Thank you for allowing me to think what I want, Jet Nut.  You are indeed, a good friend.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

 

 

Wow,  if this is true, Sammy had a large role in ending his Jetdom.  His sh*tty play contributed to the 2-14.  And he gets rewarded with an extra 18M and a new starting gig.   Dude's a lucky mofo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...