Joe does it again

Yea well if it were up to some posters we would have had a 4th round in 2021 two months ago. So if you punch that into the trusty time machine...the PV of 4th in 2021 received 2 months ago is the equivalent to a 1st rounder received today. 
Please don’t ask me to show my work.

14 minutes ago, usapaw said:

Let's talk reality, everyone gets picks 1-7.  Looks so impressive when you leave out J. Adam, L. Williams, etc. 

We are a really bad football team that is drifting in open waters. Jets won how many games last year under the great joe Douglas's shrewed moves? It's not all Madden football. We literally have zero high end talent on this team, less the hope some Douglas picks succeed.

Who is the best player on the Jets right now? Not one legitimate star. We are staring at a 1 win season. That is why they needed to go full blown trading out of the position and draft top linemen, LB's, WR's, CBs, TE, etc . QB is a quick fix dream.  Another fail until proven otherwise.  If he misses this draft he is done. 

Lol the butthurt Darnold fans sustain me.

1 hour ago, freestater said:

I think you may be mistaken on how many things deserve mic drops. 

Yep. Particularly since future picks have the value of a full round later. He gave up the player(s) this year for pick(s) in the years after that. 

Not that I'm unhappy with the trades, but

Adams two 1sts & a 3rd technically was a trade up from a 2022 4th to a 2021 3rd, not an extra 3rd for nothing, but let's forget about that. Since they're all years later the 2021 1st = 2020 2nd; 2022 1st = 2020 3rd; 2021 3rd = 2020 4th.

2020 Adams for the value of 2020 draft picks in rounds 2, 3, and 4. 

Ditto with Darnold

Trading Darnold this year not next year; Panthers get the player now & don't really start paying until later.

2021 Darnold for 2021 6th (meh) + 2022 2nd & 4th = cumulative value of about the same as Carolina's 3rd round pick in 2021. 

If we're being honest. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, usapaw said:

This isn't a sh*t load of picks. Get real, the Dolphins owned us.

I really do hope, if it is Wilson, he thrives, but it is not likely at all. A small, injury prone kid from a lesser football program. I just can't get on board with this kid.

Are you serious?  I know of at least two BYU QB's that won SB's...one of them is in the HOF.  In fact the one in the HOF (Young) is about the same size as Wilson.  And when Young was playing, they didn't have these sissy penalties when hitting QB's...if it's Wilson the Jets decide on, his health is the least of my worries.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

LOL

People have been sitting around saying how much Darnold sucks for at least the last 6 months and some of you guys are pissed because we didn’t flip a largely disappointing QB for a kings ransom?

I loved Darnold. Him falling into the Jets lap is hands down my fondest draft memory.

But it didn’t work out...

Oh well. Wish it would’ve gone differently and the Jets would’ve surrounded him with adequate talent and a coaching staff who could distinguish their assh0les from their elbows...but it is what it is.

This is a completely different front office and coaching staff. Aside from Woody and Chris, there is literally no one left in Florham Park that played a part in drafting Sam Darnold.

Realize that it’s a 3 year old sunken cost, move on and embrace the Zach Wilson era with a sh*tload of additional picks and cap flexibility over the next two years.

Exactly. The same losers who said he is worthless are saying that we didn't get enough! You just can't please some people, no matter what you do they'll find a problem with it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Are you serious?  I know of at least two BYU QB's that won SB's...one of them is in the HOF.  In fact the one in the HOF (Young) is about the same size as Wilson.  And when Young was playing, they didn't have these sissy penalties when hitting QB's...if it's Wilson the Jets decide on, his health is the least of my worries.

BYU QBs > USC QBs in the NFL. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Here's the deal:  Either Sam sucks or we traded away our FQB.  None of the last 3 years of professional QB'ing by Sam Darnold suggest he's the next FQB for the New York Jets.  Therefore, in my opinion, Joe D got fairly compensated at worst for the statistically worst QB in the league.  At best, well it's the Jamal Adams trade all over again.  Fans overvaluing a guy that without gang green color shades on is worth a mere fraction of what we got in trade value.  I get it we are starved for an infusion of great players, me personally I'm desperate as a fan.   With that said, it's just as damaging holding on to a player a year too late than a year early.  I believe in Joe.  Anyone here willing to trade the two first round picks back for Jamal Adams? Let's see how this one plays out..

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2021:

1st

1st

2nd

3rd

3rd

4th

5th

5th

6th

6th

2022:

1st

1st

2nd

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

6th

7th

7th

What the hell do you mean that isn’t a sh*t load of picks?

If Douglas gets the QB right and is even remotely worth his salt at drafting (which is supposedly his forte) then the Jets are in the best shape they’ve been in since....hell, decades.

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Future/Jets.htm

Jets have Steelers 2022 5th. Traded away players and 7ths for 6s...

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

i wonder if the media reports today that the Jets may consider keeping Darnold even if they draft a QB at 2 tipped the scales in our favor

You know what I hear  .... that little bitty leak that Joe executed making the market think the Jets might just hold Sam thru 2021, is what got the Panthers to add a 6th this year to the deal that already included next year's 4th and 6th.   Booyah!!!

Prince Harry Mic Drop GIF

(am I doing this right?  my guy looks like he's dropping a mic but you can't really see it.  maybe it's invisible.  I'm tryin' fellas.)

19 minutes ago, jetsrule1969 said:

This is an idiotic argument. I think a 2nd rounder is a 2nd rounder no matter what the year is. And with the uncertainty of projecting some players this year due to the pandemic it can be argued that a 2nd rounder next year is more valuable!

Mike Drop.jpg

So a second rounder in 2030 is still a second rounder. 

Lol.  

2 hours ago, jetsrule1969 said:

First, the doubters said that Joe would be hard pressed to get a 1st round pick for that prima donna Adams. They were

right since he got 2 1st and a 3rd! Secondly, the doubters said that Joe would be hard pressed to get a 2nd round pick for

Sam and again they were right since he got a 2nd, 4th and 6th! Joe just goes about his business and shows why he is a boss!

Mike Drop.jpg

Joe is doing what we have always wanted  - smart GM moves.

2021:

1st

1st

2nd

3rd

3rd

4th

5th

5th

6th

6th

2022:

1st

1st

2nd

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

6th

7th

7th

What the hell do you mean that isn’t a sh*t load of picks?

If Douglas gets the QB right and is even remotely worth his salt at drafting (which is supposedly his forte) then the Jets are in the best shape they’ve been in since....hell, decades.

Sure as hell looks liek some great drafts ahead. Just think good team always have this type of off seasons.thank god we have someone in cahrge doing it the right way.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas has put on a GM clinic on how to tear it down and get to the point we are today:  We are building this from scratch.

This is scratch my friends.  Enjoy it.  Cause the team this GMing beast is about to put together is going to the Super Bowl in 4-5 years.

The 1st true rebuild the Jets have ever done is taking place right now.  And its loooooong overdue.

I think you are right this is the first true rebuild ownership has allowed. Idzik almost did it but him like everyone else eithe rhad the floor pulle dout from under them or their own ineptitude sabotaged what little they could do. The real masterpiece was Joe manipulated his way to full control of the team with ownership blessing...using gase of all people to do it. DUde is a damn jedi.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think you are right this is the first true rebuild ownership has allowed. Idzik almost did it but him like everyone else eithe rhad the floor pulle dout from under them or their own ineptitude sabotaged what little they could do. The real masterpiece was Joe manipulated his way to full control of the team with ownership blessing...using gase of all people to do it. DUde is a damn jedi.

It is and its a breath of fresh air.  Joe D is building this patiently and with long term success as the goal.  no quick fixes here.

Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England etc.  Thats what Joe is looking for.  Long term success.

• Upvote 2

I can only hope that Wilson is the ONE and unlike some, even if Wilson proves not to be the one,.........

I will be willing to give this GM JD and coach Saleh more tries at the apple because I know that they are doing their homework and trying to do the right thing! 

John Stewart GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Seattle fans were quite unhappy after the Jamal Adams trade.  They remain livid today.

Panthers fans are dismayed after today's trade.

Maybe you can argue the Giants won the Leonard Williams trade.  But then again, they just had to franchise Leo for the 2nd straight year for big money.  The Jets "won" by not having to hand out big money to a DT with questionable impact on the game.

Hopefully Douglas proves he can draft well.  But we already know for sure that he gets strong value in trades.  

• Upvote 3

We all know the way drafts are weighted for pts. Generally speaking , a pick in the next draft is valued at one full round less than getting it this yr. So if you think he won this trade, we got a 6th, 3rd , and 5th. Nothing special by any standards... That said, Sam sucks, so not surprised...or disappointed. Time to reset, again.

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

I think both sides are loud fringe groups. The middle 75% of JetNation realizes the jury is still out. 

What board are you reading the only 75% middle is around Crushers belly.. The rare few with a brain see the team making moves no one has seen in many years. The majority loves complaining it's their once source of happiness. I agree no one knows the outcome yet but I like what I see..B)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

What board are you reading the only 75% middle is around Crushers belly.. The rare few with a brain see the team making moves no one has seen in many years. The majority loves complaining it's their once source of happiness. I agree no one knows the outcome yet but I like what I see..B)

90% of the game is drafting. Hopefully Douglas can get it right. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas has put on a GM clinic on how to tear it down and get to the point we are today:  We are building this from scratch.

This is scratch my friends.  Enjoy it.  Cause the team this GMing beast is about to put together is going to the Super Bowl in 4-5 years.

The 1st true rebuild the Jets have ever done is taking place right now.  And its loooooong overdue.

Agreed. Also the bounty amounted to a late 1st round pick according to a Panthers fan:

"So Carolina was bidding against itself and still ended up sending the equivalent of a late first-round pick to New York for a quarterback who probably would have been available for nothing in the next few weeks. It’s possible the Panthers wanted to get him on the roster before the deadline to pick up a fifth-year option … but that doesn’t really make sense either because if the team offered Darnold an extension that paid him $19 million in 2022, I’d imagine he’d sign it."

3 hours ago, jetsrule1969 said:

First, the doubters said that Joe would be hard pressed to get a 1st round pick for that prima donna Adams. They were

right since he got 2 1st and a 3rd! Secondly, the doubters said that Joe would be hard pressed to get a 2nd round pick for

Sam and again they were right since he got a 2nd, 4th and 6th! Joe just goes about his business and shows why he is a boss!

Mike Drop.jpg

Now all he has to do is actually draft a few players who might actually contribute to wins.  Easy, right?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jetsrule1969 said:

Agreed. Also the bounty amounted to a late 1st round pick according to a Panthers fan:

"So Carolina was bidding against itself and still ended up sending the equivalent of a late first-round pick to New York for a quarterback who probably would have been available for nothing in the next few weeks. 

That Panther fan is not good at maths. Or football. 

A 6 this year and a 2 and 4 next year is NOT the equivalent of a late 1st round pick in any draft. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

My fondest draft memory was:

“With the 51st pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...Christian Hackenberg...Quarterback...Penn State.”  

Lol I was at a Mexican restaurant with friends, exploded and made the bartender to change the TV. Proceeded to down a bottle of Hornitos anjejo. 

My worst draft memory. Well, after Marino. 

Hackenberg is now cleaning the toilets at that Mexican restaurant 

12 hours ago, jetsrule1969 said:

This is an idiotic argument. I think a 2nd rounder is a 2nd rounder no matter what the year is. And with the uncertainty of projecting some players this year due to the pandemic it can be argued that a 2nd rounder next year is more valuable!

Mike Drop.jpg

LOL then you don't know what you're talking about, and you'd be the most-swindled GM in history -- trading this year's picks for future picks in the same round, never mind for the same round two years into the future? When have you ever seen that done?

It is an outright consensus in trades that a pick this year is worth more than a pick next year, and there are obvious reasons

• You get one less use out of the later player; two fewer years in the case of a pick that comes two years later.
  • On the flip-side, the player (or pick) you're surrendering is someone you don't get use of this year while your trade partner does.
  • Then on top of that, you're trading a known player/pick this year for a guess pick slot in the future.

The future pick has less value than a current pick. You're lessening your team for an entire football season, while your trade partner, conversely, gets help now.

You seriously never noticed that all draft pick trades go in the direction I stated? Literally 100% of them. 

Your subjective preference aside, a pick next year has the trade value of a pick a round later this year.

To get two 1st round picks in the current draft is worth is not only worth more than a 1st round pick a year later and another 1st round pick two years later. It's worth much more.

That's why we got a 2nd rounder next year instead of this year for Darnold; that was the best offer. The choice offered wasn't a 2nd rounder this year vs. a 2nd rounder next year; it'd have been a 2nd rounder next year or a 3rd rounder this year.

There's a 0.0% chance Douglas turned down a 2nd rounder this year in favor of a 2nd rounder next year. Zero. Point. Zero.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jetsrule1969 said:

"So Carolina was bidding against itself and still ended up sending the equivalent of a late first-round pick to New York for a quarterback who probably would have been available for nothing in the next few weeks. It’s possible the Panthers wanted to get him on the roster before the deadline to pick up a fifth-year option … but that doesn’t really make sense either because if the team offered Darnold an extension that paid him $19 million in 2022, I’d imagine he’d sign it."

The Panthers fan has no brains and can't add.

13 hours ago, usapaw said:

Well..Everyone claims that a 2 next year is a 3, in value .. same with the 4 next year being a 5..it's next year. So we got a 6 this year...We gave up the number three pick and three 2nd rounders for Sam. Sorry, if I don't sound excited. Joe D. is looking like another failed GM in a long list of failed GM's. Dolphins got 2 #1's and more. Joe D. got taken to the woodshed. 

If in fact he takes Wilson, and he fails, Joe D. is fired and the "cycle of suck" lives on. If he takes Sewell, and Morgan starts, and thrives,  I would have a lot more respect for him. 

The reference to Sam being an overall #3 pick in 2018 is completely irrelevant. 

Where he was drafted says NOTHING as to his NFL Value today... right now in 2021.  This is where you and the others who don't like this trade are totally wrong.  You are valuing him as if it was 2018 all over again.  It simply does NOT work that way in the NFL.  

Douglas got fair market value for Sam.  That's all he was worth.  Claiming otherwise is just fantasy.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The reference to Sam being an overall #3 pick in 2018 is completely irrelevant. 

Where he was drafted says NOTHING as to his NFL Value today... right now in 2021.  This is where you and the others who don't like this trade are totally wrong.  You are valuing him as if it was 2018 all over again.  It simply does NOT work that way in the NFL.  

Douglas got fair market value for Sam.  That's all he was worth.  Claiming otherwise is just fantasy.

Yeah it's always amusing when we trade a player and then beat writers would chime in about how much more valuable that player was than this pick. OK, so why was this the top offer then?

A top 3 draft pick has a clean slate of seemingly unlimited potential. That isn't Darnold's value anymore, otherwise surely at least one team would have offered more. In the end all he was worth was the least valuable of the three 2nd rounders traded for him in the first place - the future one - plus the 4th/6th that'd bump that pick up about 5 slots. 

Happens every time we trade someone. Somehow, a traded Jets player is/was worth more to the Jets - who suck at the time of the trade - than any other team's GM thinks he's worth.

It's as though there's an extra tax that only the Jets should be smart enough to pay lol.

• Upvote 1

I believe that a critical factor in finally having a thorough rebuild is the length of JDs contract. THAT is the fuel powering the rebuild. Now that he’s proven that he can bring in great draft capital with excellent trades, we need effective drafting to complete the process.
  • Upvote 1