Will the Jets now sign a veteran back up QB? If so, who?

Alex Smith is the best option, but will be expensive and is still looking for an opportunity to start.

I like Teddy B but wouldn't want to trade for him and doubt Carolina will cut him.

Would really like Minshew, but again you have to trade for him. If he can be got cheap, great, but the Jags will probably want a 3rd or 4th and I'd rather pay a 5th or 6th.

Mullens is a nice backup, though coming off injury and not exactly a vet mentor type.

McCarron has experience, will not be expensive and is accustomed to being a backup. I think the Jets might just go for him.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I have just the guy, experienced knows the league, knows the jets as a team....will come cheap

genoo.0.gif

JhsI.gif

I still can't being myself to hate Geno. He is another QB that just needed a better environment. Not saying he would have all world or anything but he was not untalented.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2

7 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I like this idea, but wouldn't the Jags want to keep him for the same reasons we'd want him?

no the jags would want to get rid of him for the same reasons we got rid of sam

Minshew is a good QB. he put up better numbers than sam. they dont want him winning some games when he starts the season. could cause a QB controversy. especially if Trevor starts slow. and he probably has a fan club like us with sam, who rather give him another year or 2 and trade the pick to help him out. hes gone bet on it.

i rather have Mullins.

yes its only about the system. and that should be all that matters. getting our new QB up to speed with the new offense. Mullins has been in this system for 3 years. he could be a tremendous help to Wilson.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Alex Smith is the best option, but will be expensive and is still looking for an opportunity to start.

I like Teddy B but wouldn't want to trade for him and doubt Carolina will cut him.

Would really like Minshew, but again you have to trade for him. If he can be got cheap, great, but the Jags will probably want a 3rd or 4th and I'd rather pay a 5th or 6th.

Mullens is a nice backup, though coming off injury and not exactly a vet mentor type.

McCarron has experience, will not be expensive and is accustomed to being a backup. I think the Jets might just go for him.

Alex Smith would be a no brainer addition. Former first overall pick who played at Utah mentoring a kid from BYU? Perfect setup. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Roll with James Morgan. Who the hell cares if we win a game or two with a backup QB. Use that money to support Zach Wilson.

Good point. Will there be a difference much in wins/losses with?:

Wilson/Morgan/White vs. Wilson/Mullen/Morgan

Probably not. The depth chart with Mullen mainly helps for transitioning/learning the system. And many coaches like having that. But, backup QBs on our team can only win if we really have this team built well with much depth and that is 2 years off at least, I figure after at least 21 draft picks and top cap $ the next 2 years for FA, if this team can't be built pretty well then it never will be.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Good point. Will there be a difference much in wins/losses with?:

Wilson/Morgan/White vs. Wilson/Mullen/Morgan

Probably not. The depth chart with Mullen mainly helps for transitioning/learning the system. And many coaches like having that. But, backup QBs on our team can only win if we really have this team built well with much depth and that is 2 years off at least, I figure after at least 21 draft picks and top cap $ the next 2 years for FA, if this team can't be built pretty well then it never will be.

Pretty much. If our coaches value that mentor role, fine. Just not sure how valuable that aspect is.

My view is that only Super Bowl contenders should pay for a good backup. A team like the Jets needs to spend all available resources to build around Zach. 

I think people make too much of the “veteran mentor” thing for young QB’s.

Isn’t that why we have guys like LaFleur, Gnapp and Calabrese on staff?

No way should the Jets pay a hobbled Alex Smith upwards of $10 million just to play the big brother role to Wilson.

Sign a cheap vet like McCarron or Mullens.

Or hell, just roll with the kid that you took in the 4th round a year ago.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I still can't being myself to hate Geno. He is another QB that just needed a better environment. Not saying he would have all world or anything but he was not untalented.

Uh, you mean like....Seattle?

He's been given chances at 3 different spots post-Jets.  He has a grand total of 1 TD pass in 4 years.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Uh, you mean like....Seattle?

He's been given chances at 3 different spots post-Jets.  He has a grand total of 1 TD pass in 4 years.

Not saying he would have been elite, but we also did what we could to minimize his development as well.

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not saying he would have been elite, but we also did what we could to minimize his development as well.

Sometimes QB's just suck, man.  There's a reason he fell to round 2 despite his monster senior year #'s and 2013 being an incredibly weak QB class.

When I asked 2 WVU fans I know about whether to be excited about Geno, days after that draft, their verbatim reaction was "Ehhhhhh."  I knew even then, deep down, that this was likely not going to end well.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sometimes QB's just suck, man.  There's a reason he fell to round 2 despite his monster senior year #'s and 2013 being an incredibly weak QB class.

When I asked 2 WVU fans I know about whether to be excited about Geno, days after that draft, their verbatim reaction was "Ehhhhhh."  I knew even then, deep down, that this was likely not going to end well.

I love how everyone agrees that Idzik and Maccagnan were awful GMs who generally couldn't draft .  . . except for the QBs!!!!!!!! Two of the worst GMs in franchise history each drafted a great QB prospect who was "ruined" by the Jets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I love how everyone agrees that Idzik and Maccagnan were awful GMs who generally couldn't draft .  . . except for the QBs!!!!!!!! Two of the worst GMs in franchise history each drafted a great QB prospect who was "ruined" by the Jets. 

The same GM who used a 2nd round pick on Christian Hackenberg somehow drafted a secret gem in Sam Darnold.

Laughable concept.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Is this based on knowledge of Mullens not being a mentor type or is it his lack of experience? Sometimes the best mentors are the ones who do the most observation from the sidelines. I don’t know Mullens from Adam but he could be one of those guys who are students of the game who share their knowledge with the starter. The inverse are the 10 year veterans who have no interest in taking a young guy under their wings. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Is this based on knowledge of Mullens not being a mentor type or is it his lack of experience? Sometimes the best mentors are the ones who do the most observation from the sidelines. I don’t know Mullens from Adam but he could be one of those guys who are students of the game who share their knowledge with the starter. The inverse are the 10 year veterans who have no interest in taking a young guy under their wings. 

It's just an assumption. He's a young guy who hasn't seen it all yet, and who probably still has aspirations of being a starter. Teams who want a vet to babysit a rookie usually go for an older vet who knows and accepts that role.

Personally, I like Mullens and would like to have him as the #2. I just don't know if the Jets will see him as the right kind of fit.

Joe read this thread and wanted chime in

Having issues adding Connor Hughes tweet. Basically said, Jets are excited about James Morgan. Didn’t rule out adding a veteran but it’s not a priority.

I’m on team Mike White and James Morgan as backups. Spend the remaining money on the defense and use all the draft to beef up the offense.

18 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Trade the 6th we just got for the young fu manchu'd let's have a party guy and move forward

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

Isnt Nick Foles available? Seems like a decent option if he is

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He's still on the Bears, and his salary ($4M) is guaranteed, so they are not going to cut him,

If he can be had for a cheap trade (e.g. that 6th round pick from the Darnold trade) ,he could be a good option.

• Upvote 1

On 4/6/2021 at 12:31 AM, johnnysd said:

Geno had the arm and mobility to play QB in this league.

He also has the worst pocket presence and awareness of any QB I have ever seen and this aspect never got better.

15 minutes ago, KRL said:

Alex Smith or Nick Mullens (SF)

Yup. I also think ideally commit to benching the #2 pick for a year. Let him work on mechanics, learn the scheme, and not worry about coming in while a system is being installed. Feel like it's less likely for bad habits to develop that way and he'll be coming into a better situation.

There are two ways to think about this - do they really want Zach to start right away?  If so, they go for more of the mentor role like Uncle Josh in Sam's first year, who never really had a chance to start.

If they're thinking they want to take the Mahomes approach, then you get a vet who is capable of starting and being competitive but can also serve as a good mentor.