A Panthers Fan's Perspective

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

But he was also outplayed by the corpse of Joe Flacco in 2020 and wasn’t very good in even the most ideal situations.

Not even remotely realistic. You cannot name a single game where Darnold was ever in the most "ideal situation".....

It just never happened.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

He needed a change of scenery and so did we. Even if we brought in a competent coaching staff finally it wasn't going to work here, it was done. I think the Panthers paid more than I was expecting, but I'm glad he's getting another shot(in the NFC) with a staff who wants him. Good luck Sam. Never talked sh*t or looked for attention as the Jets QB

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I am a Panthers fan and the Sam Darnold trade broke me

ap-saints-jets-football-e1568310790553.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
ruiz-1.jpg?w=48&h=48
April 5, 2021 7:52 pm

I’ve typed out and erased like five ledes for this blog.

The first couple would have either gotten me fired or landed me on some type of FBI watch list. The next few were about how the Panthers have broken me as a fan over the last few years, which nobody actually cares about.

And, really, there’s no setup needed here. The Panthers trading second-, fourth- and sixth-round picks to the Jets for Sam Darnold is the setup. And the punchline is the team immediately picking him up his fifth-year option, guaranteeing him about $19 million in salary in 2022.

This comes a year after the team gave Teddy Bridgewater $33 million guaranteed and two years after the team used a Day 2 pick on Will Grier, who’s thrown as many NFL touchdowns as you have and four more interceptions. Up next on the conveyor belt of mediocre Cam Newton replacements is Darnold, who was the second-best quarterback on the NFL’s second-worst team.

Yay?

I mean, I do get the allure of Darnold. He’s young. He’s athletic. He’s got some arm talent. And the Jets did not really give him a chance to succeed. But he was also outplayed by the corpse of Joe Flacco in 2020 and wasn’t very good in even the most ideal situations.

The numbers are bad and, outside of a few splash plays, the film isn’t much better. Darnold is still largely the same quarterback he was coming out of USC. The athletic talent is there still there, but so are the questions about his decision-making and accuracy. In other words, he’s a bad quarterback.

Beyond all that, the Panthers gave up more than they probably had to for the right to rehabilitate Darnold’s career. According to NFL Media’s Ian Rapaport, the Panthers were the “sole suitor” for Darnold. ESPN’s Rich Cimini says the Jets had pretty much given up on the idea of keeping Darnold around to sit behind the rookie QB they inevitably draft next month.

So Carolina was bidding against itself and still ended up sending the equivalent of a late first-round pick to New York for a quarterback who probably would have been available for nothing in the next few weeks. It’s possible the Panthers wanted to get him on the roster before the deadline to pick up a fifth-year option … but that doesn’t really make sense either because if the team offered Darnold an extension that paid him $19 million in 2022, I’d imagine he’d sign it.

It just didn’t make any sense for Carolina to rush this move. The draft is just weeks away, and with the Panthers picking eighth, there’s still a decent chance that one of the top QB prospects slips to them at that spot. Why not wait until after the draft to make the move for Darnold? Maybe Carolina considered Darnold a better option than the prospects in this year’s class, but there is very little evidence to back that up. And Darnold is going to cost the team a lot more money if he does end up being the starter for more than two years.

We’re now headed into Year 2 of the Matt Rhule era and there still isn’t a clear long-term plan in place. Like Bridgewater before him, Darnold will have a year to prove he’s worth a long-term investment. If/when he doesn’t, and the Panthers end up drafting in a similar spot (just outside of QB range) what’s next? What is the plan? Is there a plan?

This team has its fan base caught in this weird loop of mediocrity that really is unique when you look around the league. There is nothing to be excited about in the present. There is nothing to look forward to. There is no reason for hope. If the Bears’ Andy Dalton “QB1” tweet were an NFL franchise, it’d be the Panthers.

Please take an 'internet for idiots' course so you would know how to copy and paste.

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When Flacco was throwing dimes to Perriman and Mims, Jets fans across JN "couldn't wait" to see Darnold with "these receivers".

Then Darnold happened.  

I don't know if he's fixable and I didn't want him in the first place. We ****ed him up though, whatever there was to ruin. He came into the league with a turnover problem. We gave him no line and worse WRs than USC. We're functionally retarded as a franchise 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

I don't know if he's fixable and I didn't want him in the first place. We ****ed him up though, whatever there was to ruin. He came into the league with a turnover problem. We gave him no line and worse WRs than USC. We're functionally retarded as a franchise 

Yet 35 year old Joe Flacco looked competent with the exact same set of circumstances and Darnold repeatedly sh*t himself on the field.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet 35 year old Joe Flacco looked competent with the exact same set of circumstances and Darnold repeatedly sh*t himself on the field.

Not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out Flaco was battle tested. Sam I don't think was even legal to drink when we started breaking him. I think he's still younger than Burrows. He was shot here and I'm glad he's gone. Just wishing him the best now that he's in the NFC cause we where the sh*tty parent. I don't know his potential 

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When Flacco was throwing dimes to Perriman and Mims, Jets fans across JN "couldn't wait" to see Darnold with "these receivers".

Then Darnold happened.  

Ahh.. got ya. 

The 2 or 3 hours all season those two played together and made it through the whole game uninjured and combined for 160 yards? While someone named Jakobi Meyers caught 169 for NE from a washed up Cam Newton? That game? Got it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Why do you keep ignoring the other picks involved in the trade? Change your tampon already. The bitch fest is annoying as hell. You sound like my 12 year old niece

What the possible Ahston Davis we may get in the 4th?.........a second who may start in 2023? Color me not impressed

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But sack up a bit, Panthers fan.  You root for an expansion franchise that has been to 2 Super Bowls since 2003.  You don't get to call yourself "broken".  

Most fanbases, even expansion teams, have a higher level of expectations and a lower tolerance for failure than the sad sack Jets do.