A Panthers Fan's Perspective

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Sorry if it was difficult to read.  Or you could simply ignore my posts next time.

Sorry - I apologize. I thought joewillie started this thread - he sometimes doesn't understand the internet.

It's just the huge font makes it difficult to read. My bad.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Big_Slick said:

Sorry - I apologize. I thought joewillie started this thread - he sometimes doesn't understand the internet.

It's just the huge font makes it difficult to read. My bad.

No worries.  Noted for next time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Well damn man now you’re just trying too hard. 

I think what he meant was, Carolina will win the toin coss and elect to receive the kickoff so Darnold will actually play in the SB before Wilson and the Jets get the ball. 

POSSIBLY. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Larz said:

. But he was also outplayed by the corpse of Joe Flacco in 2020 

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

I mean Darnold did go 9-16 the past two years under Adam Gase which is bad but not the 0-7 that his backups went, right?  Who on earth was going to play well and win on this team the past two years?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Never get emotionally attached to any one player.  It's pointless.  Produce or GTFO.  

I wouldn't call it emotional attachment. I respect him for how professional he was as we ****ed his career. If I wasn't emotionally attached I wouldn't still be involved with the Jets. An easy walk away, lol

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I mean Darnold did go 9-16 the past two years under Adam Gase which is bad but not the 0-7 that his backups went, right?  Who on earth was going to play well and win on this team the past two years?

A competent QB would?  Is this a trick question?

Flacco played moderately well and certainly better than Darnold.  He just didn't win any games.  Given a larger sample, he probably would have.  We were very close against the Pats.  Darnold, meanwhile, sh*ts himself the minute he sees Bill Belichick's face.

It's funny how every time Darnold's W-L record is brought up, people talk about it being a "team game".  But when people talk about Flacco outperforming him, these same folks retort by saying "HE DIDN'T WIN!"

The mere fact that it's even a discussion when it comes to Darnold vs. disinterested, ancient Joe Flacco is what's pathetic here.  Darnold should have been outperforming Flacco by a wide margin.  He didn't.  Not even close.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm saying that making fun of a Panthers Fan for having high expectations and a low tolerance for failure is pretty silly.

I'm not making fun of him for having high expectations.  I'm making fun of him for saying he's "broken" over this.  Laughable.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

What the possible Ahston Davis we may get in the 4th?.........a second who may start in 2023? Color me not impressed

A bag of footballs was too much to pay for the worst QB in the nfl over the last 3 years. A 6 only would've been a win for the Jets

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

I am a Panthers fan and the Sam Darnold trade broke me

April 5, 2021 7:52 pm

I’ve typed out and erased like five ledes for this blog.

The first couple would have either gotten me fired or landed me on some type of FBI watch list. The next few were about how the Panthers have broken me as a fan over the last few years, which nobody actually cares about.

And, really, there’s no setup needed here. The Panthers trading second-, fourth- and sixth-round picks to the Jets for Sam Darnold is the setup. And the punchline is the team immediately picking him up his fifth-year option, guaranteeing him about $19 million in salary in 2022.

This comes a year after the team gave Teddy Bridgewater $33 million guaranteed and two years after the team used a Day 2 pick on Will Grier, who’s thrown as many NFL touchdowns as you have and four more interceptions. Up next on the conveyor belt of mediocre Cam Newton replacements is Darnold, who was the second-best quarterback on the NFL’s second-worst team.

Yay?

I mean, I do get the allure of Darnold. He’s young. He’s athletic. He’s got some arm talent. And the Jets did not really give him a chance to succeed. But he was also outplayed by the corpse of Joe Flacco in 2020 and wasn’t very good in even the most ideal situations.

The numbers are bad and, outside of a few splash plays, the film isn’t much better. Darnold is still largely the same quarterback he was coming out of USC. The athletic talent is there still there, but so are the questions about his decision-making and accuracy. In other words, he’s a bad quarterback.

Beyond all that, the Panthers gave up more than they probably had to for the right to rehabilitate Darnold’s career. According to NFL Media’s Ian Rapaport, the Panthers were the “sole suitor” for Darnold. ESPN’s Rich Cimini says the Jets had pretty much given up on the idea of keeping Darnold around to sit behind the rookie QB they inevitably draft next month.

So Carolina was bidding against itself and still ended up sending the equivalent of a late first-round pick to New York for a quarterback who probably would have been available for nothing in the next few weeks. It’s possible the Panthers wanted to get him on the roster before the deadline to pick up a fifth-year option … but that doesn’t really make sense either because if the team offered Darnold an extension that paid him $19 million in 2022, I’d imagine he’d sign it.

It just didn’t make any sense for Carolina to rush this move. The draft is just weeks away, and with the Panthers picking eighth, there’s still a decent chance that one of the top QB prospects slips to them at that spot. Why not wait until after the draft to make the move for Darnold? Maybe Carolina considered Darnold a better option than the prospects in this year’s class, but there is very little evidence to back that up. And Darnold is going to cost the team a lot more money if he does end up being the starter for more than two years.

We’re now headed into Year 2 of the Matt Rhule era and there still isn’t a clear long-term plan in place. Like Bridgewater before him, Darnold will have a year to prove he’s worth a long-term investment. If/when he doesn’t, and the Panthers end up drafting in a similar spot (just outside of QB range) what’s next? What is the plan? Is there a plan?

This team has its fan base caught in this weird loop of mediocrity that really is unique when you look around the league. There is nothing to be excited about in the present. There is nothing to look forward to. There is no reason for hope. If the Bears’ Andy Dalton “QB1” tweet were an NFL franchise, it’d be the Panthers.

reactiongifs GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Monson hated Sam pre-draft.

Monson is not a point of reference for the truth.

Monson hated Josh Allen Pre draft.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-big-board-top-250-players-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

April 23rd 2018 PFF ranked their NFL Draft Big board

Baker Mayfield 1.

Sam Darnold 2.

Josh Rosen 6.

Lamar Jackson 19.

Mason Rudolph 25.

Josh Allen 35.

Let's hope PFF are not the same kiss of death to their second favorite ranked QB in this years draft 

Trevor Lawrence 1.

Zackery Wilson 2.

Justin Fields 3.

Trey Lance 4.

Mac Jones. 5.

7 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

A lot of people did, and rightfully so.  And that criticism of Allen meshed nicely with his performance his first 2 seasons as a pro.

His historically unprecedented career turnaround does not somehow negate all opinions of QB's for everyone who got that wrong.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Not even remotely realistic. You cannot name a single game where Darnold was ever in the most "ideal situation".....

It just never happened.

What that meant was how many times WRs were wide open he would not get the ball to or miss due to rushing the throw or inaccuracy. Those are ideal situations that Darnold never showed consistency on and there was no exuse for time as the Oline gave plenty of it or Skill players as they were open then, or even coaching since the play was setup to succeed. How many times did that occur in 2020. You know what multiple times per game. That's why the evaluation wound up with him being traded.

1 minute ago, Guilhermezmc said:

What if the jets traded for the 32nd rated qb in the league

Right. 

Let's make it more real by putting a name to it - What would this board think if Douglas just gave up a 2, 4, and 6 for Trubisky (who has actually been better than Sam has, but I digress)? 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

The first couple would have either gotten me fired or landed me on some type of FBI watch list. The next few were about how the Panthers have broken me as a fan over the last few years, which nobody actually cares about.

And, really, there’s no setup needed here. The Panthers trading second-, fourth- and sixth-round picks to the Jets for Sam Darnold is the setup. And the punchline is the team immediately picking him up his fifth-year option, guaranteeing him about $19 million in salary in 2022.

This comes a year after the team gave Teddy Bridgewater $33 million guaranteed and two years after the team used a Day 2 pick on Will Grier, who’s thrown as many NFL touchdowns as you have and four more interceptions. Up next on the conveyor belt of mediocre Cam Newton replacements is Darnold, who was the second-best quarterback on the NFL’s second-worst team.

Yay?

I mean, I do get the allure of Darnold. He’s young. He’s athletic. He’s got some arm talent. And the Jets did not really give him a chance to succeed. But he was also outplayed by the corpse of Joe Flacco in 2020 and wasn’t very good in even the most ideal situations.

The numbers are bad and, outside of a few splash plays, the film isn’t much better. Darnold is still largely the same quarterback he was coming out of USC. The athletic talent is there still there, but so are the questions about his decision-making and accuracy. In other words, he’s a bad quarterback.

Beyond all that, the Panthers gave up more than they probably had to for the right to rehabilitate Darnold’s career. According to NFL Media’s Ian Rapaport, the Panthers were the “sole suitor” for Darnold. ESPN’s Rich Cimini says the Jets had pretty much given up on the idea of keeping Darnold around to sit behind the rookie QB they inevitably draft next month.

So Carolina was bidding against itself and still ended up sending the equivalent of a late first-round pick to New York for a quarterback who probably would have been available for nothing in the next few weeks. It’s possible the Panthers wanted to get him on the roster before the deadline to pick up a fifth-year option … but that doesn’t really make sense either because if the team offered Darnold an extension that paid him $19 million in 2022, I’d imagine he’d sign it.

It just didn’t make any sense for Carolina to rush this move. The draft is just weeks away, and with the Panthers picking eighth, there’s still a decent chance that one of the top QB prospects slips to them at that spot. Why not wait until after the draft to make the move for Darnold? Maybe Carolina considered Darnold a better option than the prospects in this year’s class, but there is very little evidence to back that up. And Darnold is going to cost the team a lot more money if he does end up being the starter for more than two years.

We’re now headed into Year 2 of the Matt Rhule era and there still isn’t a clear long-term plan in place. Like Bridgewater before him, Darnold will have a year to prove he’s worth a long-term investment. If/when he doesn’t, and the Panthers end up drafting in a similar spot (just outside of QB range) what’s next? What is the plan? Is there a plan?

This team has its fan base caught in this weird loop of mediocrity that really is unique when you look around the league. There is nothing to be excited about in the present. There is nothing to look forward to. There is no reason for hope. If the Bears’ Andy Dalton “QB1” tweet were an NFL franchise, it’d be the Panthers.

I want to be this guy’s best friend.

• Haha 1

This guy brings up a good point. Why didn't Carolina just wait until after the draft? I could see a scenario where somebody like Fields or Jones drops to them at 8. I do think Sam will be pretty good in Carolina, but it does seem they did overpay a little bit. But I suppose if they truly believe in Sam, it's not an overpay at all

1 hour ago, Gangrene said:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-big-board-top-250-players-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

April 23rd 2018 PFF ranked their NFL Draft Big board

Baker Mayfield 1.

Sam Darnold 2.

Josh Rosen 6.

Lamar Jackson 19.

Mason Rudolph 25.

Josh Allen 35.

Let's hope PFF are not the same kiss of death to their second favorite ranked QB in this years draft 

Trevor Lawrence 1.

Zackery Wilson 2.

Justin Fields 3.

Trey Lance 4.

Mac Jones. 5.

Ok & what is your point exactly? I don’t believe I said Sam Monson is the knower of all things pro QB lol. 

He is right about Darnold in this instance. I don’t care what he had to say about Josh Allen in the same breath. Plenty of people are right about one guy & wrong about the other in the same draft class each & every year.

7 hours ago, rayzor said:

Yay?

You so silly. This  was a genius move by the Panthers. Trade for Darnold as the starter and next they will trade Bridgewater. Panthers will go 1-16, 2-15 or 3-14 in 2021 and be in prime position to grab a QB in next years draft. It worked for us.  

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ok & what is your point exactly? I don’t believe I said Sam Monson is the knower of all things pro QB lol. He is right about Darnold in this instance. I don’t care what he had to say about Josh Allen in the same breath. Plenty of people are right about one guy & wrong about the other in the same draft class each & every year.

You are wrong about Sam Monson "hating Sam pre-draft".

Yes he had concerns about fumbles/interceptions but he also talked about his elite playmaking, higher than any qb in that draft.

He had Baker Mayfield 'head and shoulders" above the other quarterbacks but they had Darnold rated #2 in the entire draft class.

How is it possible to to hate Darnold pre-draft and rank him #2 on the entire draft board?

April 23rd 2018  a few days before the draft PFF of which Sam Monson is a significant part of, ranked Sam Darnold No. 2 in the Draft. Not Merely in quarterback Rankings, but in the draft Big board.

Here is what PFF (of which Monson is a significant part of) had to say 

2. SAM DARNOLD, USC – QUARTERBACK

"Darnold’s high-end play is as good as it gets in the class, as he has next-level feel in the middle of the field and he’s capable of making big plays outside of structure. Those skills showed through with the No. 2 percentage of big-time throws in the draft class last season, though he must improve his ball security after posting the fifth-highest percentage of turnover-worthy plays. Darnold has two years of excellent production at a young age and that should translate to the NFL."

No 2 on the Big Board, that's some 'hating' right there.

5 hours ago, Cp561 said:

This guy brings up a good point. Why didn't Carolina just wait until after the draft? I could see a scenario where somebody like Fields or Jones drops to them at 8. I do think Sam will be pretty good in Carolina, but it does seem they did overpay a little bit. But I suppose if they truly believe in Sam, it's not an overpay at all

Timing is weird. Wilson's medical is yet to be completed, and as you say, they might look silly if Fields or Lance drops to 8. 

Know a guy who's a big Panthers fan, and he's being calling Sam to the Panthers for a month. Basically since the Watson saga blew up. He thinks -

a) Darnold is low-risk, worth a roll of the dice. If it doesn't work out, pivot back to Watson in a year.

b) The 49ers screwed them when they traded up, as it raised the cost of moving to 2. 

8 hours ago, JTJet said:

Not even remotely realistic. You cannot name a single game where Darnold was ever in the most "ideal situation".....

It just never happened.

There were a few where he was out / on the bench - probably the closest he got to "ideal". :D 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

I don't know if he's fixable and I didn't want him in the first place. We ****ed him up though, whatever there was to ruin. He came into the league with a turnover problem. We gave him no line and worse WRs than USC. We're functionally retarded as a franchise 

Don't forget that we gave him one year with Todd Blowes, then fired him and brought in someone even worse as HC for the next two years.

At least this year we have a rookie QB being drafted in the first year of a coach's tenure, not the last year. Might finally have some of that "consistency" and "stability" I hear so much about these days.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gangrene said:

You are wrong about Sam Monson "hating Sam pre-draft".

Yes he had concerns about fumbles/interceptions but he also talked about his elite playmaking, higher than any qb in that draft.

He had Baker Mayfield 'head and shoulders" above the other quarterbacks but they had Darnold rated #2 in the entire draft class.

How is it possible to to hate Darnold pre-draft and rank him #2 on the entire draft board?

April 23rd 2018  a few days before the draft PFF of which Sam Monson is a significant part of, ranked Sam Darnold No. 2 in the Draft. Not Merely in quarterback Rankings, but in the draft Big board.

Here is what PFF (of which Monson is a significant part of) had to say 

2. SAM DARNOLD, USC – QUARTERBACK

"Darnold’s high-end play is as good as it gets in the class, as he has next-level feel in the middle of the field and he’s capable of making big plays outside of structure. Those skills showed through with the No. 2 percentage of big-time throws in the draft class last season, though he must improve his ball security after posting the fifth-highest percentage of turnover-worthy plays. Darnold has two years of excellent production at a young age and that should translate to the NFL."

No 2 on the Big Board, that's some 'hating' right there.

Nice, do you want a cookie?