A Panthers Fan's Perspective

4 hours ago, Gangrene said:

You are wrong about Sam Monson "hating Sam pre-draft".

Yes he had concerns about fumbles/interceptions but he also talked about his elite playmaking, higher than any qb in that draft.

He had Baker Mayfield 'head and shoulders" above the other quarterbacks but they had Darnold rated #2 in the entire draft class.

How is it possible to to hate Darnold pre-draft and rank him #2 on the entire draft board?

April 23rd 2018  a few days before the draft PFF of which Sam Monson is a significant part of, ranked Sam Darnold No. 2 in the Draft. Not Merely in quarterback Rankings, but in the draft Big board.

Here is what PFF (of which Monson is a significant part of) had to say 

2. SAM DARNOLD, USC – QUARTERBACK

"Darnold’s high-end play is as good as it gets in the class, as he has next-level feel in the middle of the field and he’s capable of making big plays outside of structure. Those skills showed through with the No. 2 percentage of big-time throws in the draft class last season, though he must improve his ball security after posting the fifth-highest percentage of turnover-worthy plays. Darnold has two years of excellent production at a young age and that should translate to the NFL."

No 2 on the Big Board, that's some 'hating' right there.

Ok, he still wasn’t wrong about what he tweeted though.

3 hours ago, K_O_Brien said:

Timing is weird. Wilson's medical is yet to be completed

Someone tweeted an unnamed “source” said the trade was immediately made after Wilson cleared his medical.  Which seems to make sense.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, rayzor said:

I am a Panthers fan and the Sam Darnold trade broke me

April 5, 2021 7:52 pm

I’ve typed out and erased like five ledes for this blog.

The first couple would have either gotten me fired or landed me on some type of FBI watch list. The next few were about how the Panthers have broken me as a fan over the last few years, which nobody actually cares about.

And, really, there’s no setup needed here. The Panthers trading second-, fourth- and sixth-round picks to the Jets for Sam Darnold is the setup. And the punchline is the team immediately picking him up his fifth-year option, guaranteeing him about $19 million in salary in 2022.

This comes a year after the team gave Teddy Bridgewater $33 million guaranteed and two years after the team used a Day 2 pick on Will Grier, who’s thrown as many NFL touchdowns as you have and four more interceptions. Up next on the conveyor belt of mediocre Cam Newton replacements is Darnold, who was the second-best quarterback on the NFL’s second-worst team.

Yay?

I mean, I do get the allure of Darnold. He’s young. He’s athletic. He’s got some arm talent. And the Jets did not really give him a chance to succeed. But he was also outplayed by the corpse of Joe Flacco in 2020 and wasn’t very good in even the most ideal situations.

The numbers are bad and, outside of a few splash plays, the film isn’t much better. Darnold is still largely the same quarterback he was coming out of USC. The athletic talent is there still there, but so are the questions about his decision-making and accuracy. In other words, he’s a bad quarterback.

Beyond all that, the Panthers gave up more than they probably had to for the right to rehabilitate Darnold’s career. According to NFL Media’s Ian Rapaport, the Panthers were the “sole suitor” for Darnold. ESPN’s Rich Cimini says the Jets had pretty much given up on the idea of keeping Darnold around to sit behind the rookie QB they inevitably draft next month.

So Carolina was bidding against itself and still ended up sending the equivalent of a late first-round pick to New York for a quarterback who probably would have been available for nothing in the next few weeks. It’s possible the Panthers wanted to get him on the roster before the deadline to pick up a fifth-year option … but that doesn’t really make sense either because if the team offered Darnold an extension that paid him $19 million in 2022, I’d imagine he’d sign it.

It just didn’t make any sense for Carolina to rush this move. The draft is just weeks away, and with the Panthers picking eighth, there’s still a decent chance that one of the top QB prospects slips to them at that spot. Why not wait until after the draft to make the move for Darnold? Maybe Carolina considered Darnold a better option than the prospects in this year’s class, but there is very little evidence to back that up. And Darnold is going to cost the team a lot more money if he does end up being the starter for more than two years.

We’re now headed into Year 2 of the Matt Rhule era and there still isn’t a clear long-term plan in place. Like Bridgewater before him, Darnold will have a year to prove he’s worth a long-term investment. If/when he doesn’t, and the Panthers end up drafting in a similar spot (just outside of QB range) what’s next? What is the plan? Is there a plan?

This team has its fan base caught in this weird loop of mediocrity that really is unique when you look around the league. There is nothing to be excited about in the present. There is nothing to look forward to. There is no reason for hope. If the Bears’ Andy Dalton “QB1” tweet were an NFL franchise, it’d be the Panthers.

Spot on, well written.

Someone should tell that guy that the Panthers are 100 times better than the pathetic NYJ. Panthers make their share of gaffes, but it's nothing like the incompetent perfection of the NYJ. I've said it before, most people couldn't even try to be as utterly horrible as the Jets have been in every single move they've made over a solid 10 year span.

ESPN’s Rich Cimini says the Jets had pretty much given up on the idea of keeping Darnold around to sit behind the rookie QB they inevitably draft next month.

I will bet a large portion of my small accumulated wealth that this is 100% complete bullsh*t. 

• Upvote 2

I understand his frustration. They had talks of swinging big all offseason but San Fran beat them to the punch and the Watson situation turned ugly, causing them to settle for a bottom tier QB rating wise AND picking up his option. If I was a Panther fan I’d just talk myself into it using the Gase and no weapons method 

10 minutes ago, zonajetfan said:

ESPN’s Rich Cimini says the Jets had pretty much given up on the idea of keeping Darnold around to sit behind the rookie QB they inevitably draft next month.

I will bet a large portion of my small accumulated wealth that this is 100% complete bullsh*t. 

How does Cimini know this? The fact is, NOTHING escapes One Jets Drive unless Joe Douglas wants it to...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Depends how old you are. I’m 5 years away from 30 years old(unfortunately).

I don’t appreciate the “little boy” stuff as much as you don’t appreciate being mocked for making a moot point.

I'm sure you don't, as I don't appreciate the "Nice, do you want a cookie?"

If you are polite in debate and respectful, you will receive it in return. If you don't like someone's argument on the football facts, you can respectfully disagree or ignore the comment. Mocking other posters invites being mocked. 

We debate, we make points, back and forth. We are all frequently wrong and right. Disagreeing about football is fun when there is mutual respect. Jet Nation is fullI  of amazing, genuine, informed, funny football posters. I considered you a good poster with differing views to mine, before this exchange.

My original point was relevant. If you are going to use a source in your debate as standard of truth, ideally it should be a good source. My position that I was making was that Sam Monson is not a good source of reference. He has a singular opinion on a great platform, nothing more than that. 

Josh Allen was an important example as to how wrong Monson can be. Despite all the data, he's not particularly an accurate forecaster. Josh Allen is entirely relevant, as is Monson's forecasting on Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson.

Disagreeing is okay, mocking will change the direction of our conversation as it will every other conversation on this forum.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jamesr said:

Don't forget that we gave him one year with Todd Blowes, then fired him and brought in someone even worse as HC for the next two years.

At least this year we have a rookie QB being drafted in the first year of a coach's tenure, not the last year. Might finally have some of that "consistency" and "stability" I hear so much about these days.

I hope. We finally seem to have a functional structure in place where there's a football guy in charge with Dougles and the coach reports to him. We've had nobody reporting to anybody but Woody since he took over and Woody is incredibly dumb even by trust fund baby standards. The GM and coach where almost entirely disconnected for 20+ years. It wasn't working

5 hours ago, zonajetfan said:

Translation:  All Douglas needed was an acceptable trade package to move Darnold.  Once he had that, he could justify it.  Because there would have been no f**king reason for Darnold to be a backup QB for a year behind the planned QB of the future just to walk in FA for nothing but a 2023 comp pick.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, rayzor said:

And, really, there’s no setup needed here. The Panthers trading second-, fourth- and sixth-round picks to the Jets for Sam Darnold is the setup. And the punchline is the team immediately picking him up his fifth-year option, guaranteeing him about $19 million in salary in 2022.

This comes a year after the team gave Teddy Bridgewater $33 million guaranteed and two years after the team used a Day 2 pick on Will Grier, who’s thrown as many NFL touchdowns as you have and four more interceptions. Up next on the conveyor belt of mediocre Cam Newton replacements is Darnold, who was the second-best quarterback on the NFL’s second-worst team.

Yay?

This is gold Jerry, GOLD!

funny dude should post here

24 minutes ago, peebag said:

Which games did Flacco win last year?

Offensive efficiency broooo. The real thing is the Panthers gave up too much for Sam. I don't care if he succeeds there or not. Unless he turns to an all pro those picks are gonna be heattt. Maybe a Devin Smith, a Shaq Evans, and an Oday Aboushi coming our way

21 hours ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

Not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out Flaco was battle tested. Sam I don't think was even legal to drink when we started breaking him. I think he's still younger than Burrows. He was shot here and I'm glad he's gone. Just wishing him the best now that he's in the NFC cause we where the sh*tty parent. I don't know his potential 

Well, if he was before, he probably still is 

• Haha 3

so rhule is going to work wonders with darnold?  is this the thought down in carolina?  maybe.  it wouldn't be the first time a player looked terrible with one team and then flourished with another.  darnold's good points are that he's still young, mobile, and is capable of making wow plays once in a while.  people forget that qbs like dilfer and grossman brought their teams to the superbowl and bortles got the jags to the championship game.  of course those teams all had attributes that outweighed the qb play.

18 hours ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

I hope. We finally seem to have a functional structure in place where there's a football guy in charge with Dougles and the coach reports to him. We've had nobody reporting to anybody but Woody since he took over and Woody is incredibly dumb even by trust fund baby standards. The GM and coach where almost entirely disconnected for 20+ years. It wasn't working

The structure only works if you have the right people to make it work.

It wasn't that long ago that the coach reported to the GM. And it was the dysfunction of that situation that led to the structure change. Rex reported to Idzik, not Woody. Woody was only hearing what Idzik told him. Rex wouldn't go behind his boss' back so issues between those two festered and never got resolved. When they were fired Woody changed the structure so that both reported to him and he could hear both sides. 

We have to hope that Douglas is "the guy". I know it's easy to say that he has to be better than Idzik ... we thought the same initially about Macc, and now there's a debate about whether he was actually WORSE than Idzik. If Douglas isn't "the guy", the structure won't matter and we'll be back to looking for a new GM, and either saddling him with the old coach / QB combo or moving on from all 3 (again).

Fingers crossed ... :-) 

11 hours ago, jamesr said:

The structure only works if you have the right people to make it work.

It wasn't that long ago that the coach reported to the GM. And it was the dysfunction of that situation that led to the structure change. Rex reported to Idzik, not Woody. Woody was only hearing what Idzik told him. Rex wouldn't go behind his boss' back so issues between those two festered and never got resolved. When they were fired Woody changed the structure so that both reported to him and he could hear both sides. 

We have to hope that Douglas is "the guy". I know it's easy to say that he has to be better than Idzik ... we thought the same initially about Macc, and now there's a debate about whether he was actually WORSE than Idzik. If Douglas isn't "the guy", the structure won't matter and we'll be back to looking for a new GM, and either saddling him with the old coach / QB combo or moving on from all 3 (again).

Fingers crossed ... :-) 

I'm with you on the fingers crossed. Rex didn't really report to anyone but Woody though at least from my perspective. Last time we had a semblance of function, at least structurally, was with Mangini running point and Tanny just being the cap guy. Mangini sucked as coach, but left a pretty good roster for Rex to burn down. It wasn't even really Rex or Tannys fault. Rex should have had limited input on roster and just coached, Tanny should have never remained there as a numbers nerd when we brought in a bully. It might have worked with a real GM. Idzik wasn't much better. They brought somebody in to clean up the mess but with the requirement they kept Rex. How accountable is somebody to you if your application is denied without keeping him employed? Idzik is what you get when you tell a dude you get the position you've spent 40 years working towards, but you get Rex also. Idzik will never get a GM job again

Definetly got my fingers crossed we got it right now though 

10 hours ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

I'm with you on the fingers crossed. Rex didn't really report to anyone but Woody though at least from my perspective. Last time we had a semblance of function, at least structurally, was with Mangini running point and Tanny just being the cap guy. Mangini sucked as coach, but left a pretty good roster for Rex to burn down. It wasn't even really Rex or Tannys fault. Rex should have had limited input on roster and just coached, Tanny should have never remained there as a numbers nerd when we brought in a bully. It might have worked with a real GM. Idzik wasn't much better. They brought somebody in to clean up the mess but with the requirement they kept Rex. How accountable is somebody to you if your application is denied without keeping him employed? Idzik is what you get when you tell a dude you get the position you've spent 40 years working towards, but you get Rex also. Idzik will never get a GM job again

Definetly got my fingers crossed we got it right now though 

This is why we really need to have patience with Joe D. We almost need to treat this as Year 1 for the whole organisation ... we have a Year 1 coaching staff, a Year 1 QB, but a Year 3 GM. If the view is that "this is Joe's 3rd year, we need to see results NOW" it puts undue pressure on the coaches and young / rebuilding roster. Better to treat it as Year 1 of the Joe / Rob / Zach 'era' and set expectations from there.

Otherwise by year end there'll be calls to sack Joe, and the whole process goes round again without ever getting back in sync .... new GM, not his coach / QB, even more roster turnover ... the usual stuff, which we need to break out of.