So this is what our Offense could look like...

12 hours ago, Jets723 said:

It’s still going to take another year to build the offense.  In 2022 we have 11 picks including two firsts and seconds.  So expect more offensive playmakers/oline next year plus FA 

jets always talk about next year.... need time for the plan to take effect

right now the roster is bad-joe best nail the draft and find wilson some protection and some weapons or he will set up to fail too

The Jets roster Darnold’s rookie year was awful.

2021 OL > 2018 OL

WR: Davis vs Robby. Tie

WR: Crowder > Kearse

WR: Mims vs Enunwa. Tie since Enunwa is always hurt.

TE: Herndon vs Herndon

RB: Powell/Cannon vs same sh*t

Considering how awful the Roster was in 2018, going player by player, we’re not that much better. We probably have more depth now which will help in the event of injuries.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Agreed.

The weapons, while not great are workable.  The OL is still likely the worst in the league.  As you said, keep him upright but I think just as important is to have a semblance of a running game that can take some pressure off him too.

Agree..Build the foundation ie OL this year. Take Humphrey at 23.  Next yr the Jets will have plenty of draft capital to get more playmakers.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

I didn't think you were, I'm just pointing out that people seem to try to theorize why things were done more so than it needs to be. 

They viewed Sam Darnold as a talented young player with a lot of upside who was likely to improve his production with a new coaching staff and improved supporting cast. They rationalized that he had 1 year left on his deal before he would cost them somewhere between $15-20m per season at the very least. They weighed that against having a cheap roster, the took into account the benefit of starting fresh, and they weighed what they thought they could realistically have gotten for #2 vs. what they felt they would get for Sam. They realized a few weeks ago that Carolina was not coming up to #2 because Carolina was not willing to pay anything close to what the Jets were looking for. That's when people in the FO seemed to shift their beliefs pretty much overnight. 

"On the block" is not the way to describe it. They took calls, vetted feelers, and considered offers. They made no counter offers, seemingly until the Ohio State pro-day. My guess is the Jets saw the writing on the wall and came away from the Wilson pro-day convinced he was going to be their pick and really started engaging in exchanging ideas on compensation. 

I can tell you for sure that the Jets did not want to wait very long. I agree with you they may have gotten more if they waited, and personally, I would've loved entering the offseason with Darnold and Wilson assuming they didn't trade the pick. But it was their internal goal to have a QB direction ironed out by April 9. I had no idea why that date, then a poster on here pointed out that it could have been due to the medical and I bought into that. But I think that was just a date Douglas set for the process. I think they wanted to use the pre-draft prep to focus on the rest of the draft and not have too many people wasting energy on potential trade scenarios and opportunities to trade down. Now that it's done and the direction is clear, the Jets can truly focus on the rest of the draft appropriately. 

IMO it's a distinction without a difference. If he wasn't on the trading block they would have let it be known they weren't trading Darnold. He was on the trade market. The only distinction is he wasn't cold-calling teams because they'd already called first.

Even teams actively looking to trade a player will sometimes not pull the trigger if they don't get what they're looking for; that doesn't change that they're looking to get a high pick for the player. Douglas was shopping Anderson at the trade deadline in 2019. Both Idzik and Maccagnan each were shopping Mo before the draft in successive years, but held off when they couldn't get a 1st rounder in return (I think the most they got was future 1st/current 2nd round value for him in order to trade up to #1 in '16, which in the end Maccagnan still turned down anyway). Douglas also didn't first decide to trade Adams when Seattle called. 

Not flat-out announcing "we're not trading him" is a coy way of encouraging more offers to come in without making the announcement (in case nobody matches his desired return). e.g. we got at least one good offer for Q.Williams but Douglas made it know that absolutely Q was untouchable. Not so with Darnold this spring. They may have had some belief in Darnold, but ultimately not so much that he was worth a starting-level contract guaranteed for next year AND turning down those picks for him AND passing up on a QB at the top of the draft -- a slot where they may not be a year from now if they guessed wrong on Darnold, and may not be able to trade up to get.

I don't fault him for taking this now. I thought he might wait until the draft, just based on the idea he wanted to trade down that badly, but once he's dead-set on a QB this is the right move. He might have gotten more later, and he might have gotten much less later. 

The internal date is nothing; it's just to get it done instead of hemming/hawing internally, but on the 9th they could have changed this internal date to the 10th or 14th or whatever. Lots of companies (and individuals) do this, putting a date on the calendar just to do it, because time often creeps up on you. It's a soft deadline. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

A full season of Mims, Davis and Cole will be infinitely better than any other WR combo this team has had in the last 5 years.   Coleman, Johnson, Adams and Perine is the best group of RBs this team has had in the last 5 years.   While not the Kansas City Chiefs, the personnel on offense this year is already much better than it has been in the last few years.   Plus, this should improve after the draft.  

Agree in the recievers but how in the world is that group of running backs anything more than terrible?

Not one proven back among them. Coleman is washed. Probably the worst group in the league. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

IMO it's a distinction without a difference. If he wasn't on the trading block they would have let it be known they weren't trading Darnold. He was on the trade market. The only distinction is he wasn't cold-calling teams because they'd already called first.

Even teams actively looking to trade a player will sometimes not pull the trigger if they don't get what they're looking for; that doesn't change that they're looking to get a high pick for the player. Douglas was shopping Anderson at the trade deadline in 2019. Both Idzik and Maccagnan each were shopping Mo before the draft in successive years, but held off when they couldn't get a 1st rounder in return (I think the most they got was future 1st/current 2nd round value for him in order to trade up to #1 in '16, which in the end Maccagnan still turned down anyway). Douglas also didn't first decide to trade Adams when Seattle called. 

Not flat-out announcing "we're not trading him" is a coy way of encouraging more offers to come in without making the announcement (in case nobody matches his desired return). e.g. we got at least one good offer for Q.Williams but Douglas made it know that absolutely Q was untouchable. Not so with Darnold this spring. They may have had some belief in Darnold, but ultimately not so much that he was worth a starting-level contract guaranteed for next year AND turning down those picks for him AND passing up on a QB at the top of the draft -- a slot where they may not be a year from now if they guessed wrong on Darnold, and may not be able to trade up to get.

I don't fault him for taking this now. I thought he might wait until the draft, just based on the idea he wanted to trade down that badly, but once he's dead-set on a QB this is the right move. He might have gotten more later, and he might have gotten much less later. 

The internal date is nothing; it's just to get it done instead of hemming/hawing internally, but on the 9th they could have changed this internal date to the 10th or 14th or whatever. Lots of companies (and individuals) do this, putting a date on the calendar just to do it, because time often creeps up on you. It's a soft deadline. 

I mean I guess you're right but under that lens then the #2 pick was on the block as well. 

What we do know is that Carolina put out feelers for #2 early on, then basically lost interest in it. Whether this was by design or not I'm not sure, but I think it became clear among those with the Jets that no one would pay what the team required to trade #2, especially after the SF-MIA trade, and I don't think Carolina ever made an official offer either. They did officially make an offer on Darnold a few weeks ago (I read for a 4th, but hear it was #113 + a 2022 conditional 4th) and while the Jets didn't flatly deny them, just said they weren't trading Sam then. It was at the Ohio State pro day where Douglas/Hogan said, "OK, let's make a deal." 

Yes I know the internal date wasn't a DDD. As you said, it was a soft deadline. They wanted to know which direction they were favoring (QB Darnold + value for #2 vs. QB #2 + value for Darnold) by that date. That's why I didn't think a future would happen with Sam and Zach on the team this year, even if I wanted it to, because it just seemed like they were very binary on that front. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, football guy said:

once Joe got a chance to meet Wilson in person it was pretty much a done deal that they would draft him.

I know the lack of a heavy market was key in committing to drafting a QB, however I wonder if through meetings Wilson blew the FO away in some aspect. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

jets always talk about next year.... need time for the plan to take effect

right now the roster is bad-joe best nail the draft and find wilson some protection and some weapons or he will set up to fail too

Well it’s simply the reality.  Yes he needs to nail the draft picks 

14 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I know the lack of a heavy market was key in committing to drafting a QB, however I wonder if through meetings Wilson blew the FO away in some aspect. 

Everyone says his recall is outstanding and he's great on the board. He's not a partier or anything like that. He's competitive. He's a charmer. What he needs to work on is connecting and relating with his teammates better. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, football guy said:

Everyone says his recall is outstanding and he's great on the board. He's not a partier or anything like that. He's competitive. He's a charmer. What he needs to work on is connecting and relating with his teammates better. 

I hope he grabs Mims facemask and says " F U and your puppy, now go deep and catch this TD" 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Aaron Rodgers is an aloof weirdo but smart as hell. He still puts up numbers and wins games. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jets723 said:

It’s still going to take another year to build the offense.  In 2022 we have 11 picks including two firsts and seconds.  So expect more offensive playmakers/oline next year plus FA 

This.  People need to tap the brakes on expectations for next season.  The Jets were a 2 win team last season and will be starting a rookie QB next year.  There’s only so much Joe can do in one off-season.  A 7-10 record in 2021-2022 would be a huge accomplishment.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

This.  People need to tap the brakes on expectations for next season.  The Jets were a 2 win team last season and will be starting a rookie QB next year.  There’s only so much Joe can do in one off-season.  A 7-10 record in 2021-2022 would be a huge accomplishment.

Yeah I think we can be better but we arent a finished product.  I think after the 2022 offseason we will be ready 

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Agree in the recievers but how in the world is that group of running backs anything more than terrible?

Not one proven back among them. Coleman is washed. Probably the worst group in the league. 

I don't think we can judge this until they take the field. The holdovers have had absolutely no place to run the last couple of years, with the exception of Becton (when he's been in there.) I posted a vid a while back that also showed him and Eflin (sp?) opening some big holes on that side of the field, and then Gore, with the vision of an elderly bat, just ran into the backs of the other lineman on the right side for a one yard gain.

2 hours ago, football guy said:

What we do know is that Carolina put out feelers for #2 early on, then basically lost interest in it. Whether this was by design or not I'm not sure, but I think it became clear among those with the Jets that no one would pay what the team required to trade #2, especially after the SF-MIA trade, and I don't think Carolina ever made an official offer either.

Carolina going Pitts, CB, or trade down

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I think Mims career is the greatest beneficiary in all of this. He's going to become a star with a QB like Wilson who will just throw it up and ask questions later. 

For my money, Mims already displayed some rare contested catch traits last year. Elite traits. But need a QB willing to take those shots in order to keep his confidence high and ultimately (hopefully) make him a household name. Now he has someone who will give him those opportunities almost to a fault.  

Until he does become a household name, would you say "Mim's the word"?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In fairness - and this may have been the team's feeling at the time - what was reported back was the team was going with Darnold for one more year and was not drafting a QB this year -- that they all wanted to go with Darnold and trade back, and if Douglas couldn't trade back then he was going to take Sewell at #2. 

What actually transpired is almost the exact opposite of that.

They traded Darnold and are going to draft a QB at #2, staying pat at that slot instead of trading down when the opportunity presented itself.

Not at all faulting @football guy here; he heard what he heard, and that may very well have been the inner circle's feeling at the time. But if feelings can change this much, then leaks may not be worth much. Further, these leaks into GM thinking may very well be planted - even to members of his second-to-inner circle - and he was half-expecting these to be leaked for his own purposes (e.g. in this case so teams would think they have to offer more to pry Darnold loose from the Jets). 

So you think it is okay to put a rookie behind a sh!t oline but not darnold?  c'mon mannnnnn

21 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

So assuming we go Wilson and let’s say OL like @football guy is saying they’re targeting with 23. This is what the offense could look like week 1. 

QB: Wilson

RB: Coleman, Perrine, Johnson, Adams

TE: Herndon, Kroft

WR: Davis, V.Smith

WR: Mims, Cole

WR: Crowder, Berrios

LT: Becton

LG: Slater? Jenkins? Vera Tucker?

C : McGovern

RG: Van Roten

RT: Fant

Not bad. Not great. Seems like a “they’ll get the job done” group but no real take the top off a defense type playmakers anywhere. Or anyone you gotta really worry about. 
RB, G, WR, TE still need upgrades.  

Feel like we haven't addressed the offense enough, but a comment about the OL: 

I think Van Roten is a much better fit as a LG in this scheme than at RG. A guy like Jenkins is a better fit as a RG/RT. Slater and Vera-Tucker probably LGs with an ability to play T as well. 

23 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think Van Roten is a much better fit as a LG in this scheme than at RG. A guy like Jenkins is a better fit as a RG/RT. Slater and Vera-Tucker probably LGs with an ability to play T as well. 

Where does Cam Clark fit?  LG? 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Where does Cam Clark fit?  LG? 

I am really curious if he can play. He felt like a steal to me, i hope he is a stud after taking a red shirt last year. Him, Zuniga, Morgan and Perine have to show something for JD’s sake.

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Idk but we need to go OL/WR with 23 and 34. Doubt it though. 
Worry about defense next year!

• Upvote 1

Humphrey @ 23 and one of Jenkins/Mayfield/Eichenberg @ 34.  

Move McGovern to a Guard and let Clark battle it out for the other Guard spot with Van Rotten and Lewis.

Fant is the back up swing Tackle.  

Take a running back and Tommy Tremble with our third round picks.