57 TDs

22 ints 

wilson in college  

30 games 

837 attempts 

7652 yards

56 TDs

15 Ints 

You forgot the 14 lost fumbles in College for Darnold. He literally stayed the same person from his senior year in College to year 3 in the nfl. Zero ball security improvement. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Stats are relatively meaningless in college when projecting professional success.

Skillset and how the player fits into your system, and the support you are going to give to that development with roster and coaching.

This 100%. I'm not sure how people don't realize scouts don't really care about stats or even who you played. They're trying to project the players skills to the nfl. That's it. After that it's about character and injury issues. 

The only stat that actually matters for QBs in my opinion is turnovers. Typically QBs don't get better at that when they enter the nfl. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This 100%. I'm not sure how people don't realize score don't really care about stats or even who you played. They're trying to project the players skills to the nfl. That's it. After that it's about character and injury issues. 

The only stat that actually matters for QBs in my opinion is turnovers. Typically QBs don't get better at that when they enter the nfl. 

And accuracy. Turnovers and accuracy are typically there for your collegiate and pro career 

• Upvote 2

and Sam is a 3 year bust in the NFL

I think Sam can be good but what are the odds are he becomes great?  Wilson has a chance to be special and the Jets have the #2 pick so its a no brainer to reset the clock and see if they can finally find that QB

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, adobolo2 said:

At this stage is doesn't matter what their numbers were in collage.

We have to stop comparing the two, Sam is gone and if we keep looking to see who had better stats every week we will only torment ourselves.

Focus on Wilson and noting else (unless we select fields?)

That's pretty much an annual rite of passage.

• O'Brien vs. Marino
  • Toon vs. Rice
  • Revis vs. Sherman
  • Quinnen vs. Ed Oliver
  • even the grossly misplaced Wilkerson vs. Watt for about 15 minutes

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Now show us strength of schedule for the two.  Stats ARE fun, actually.  They can tell us alot, if we're willing to listen.

The benefit Wilson will have, we hope, is he won't be playing for either Bowles or Gase.  He's already ahead of Sam on that front.

Sammy would have been fine under Todd Bowles if Mike Macagnan hadn't been around to guarantee the team never improved.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

• O'Brien vs. Marino
  • Toon vs. Rice
  • Revis vs. Sherman
  • Quinnen vs. Ed Oliver

Our only hope then is if Wilson is a star from day 1 and we never think about Sam again.

23 minutes ago, nycdan said:

• O'Brien vs. Marino
  • Toon vs. Rice
  • Revis vs. Sherman
  • Quinnen vs. Ed Oliver

This one will be Wilson vs Fields. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Now show us strength of schedule for the two.  Stats ARE fun, actually.  They can tell us alot, if we're willing to listen.

The benefit Wilson will have, we hope, is he won't be playing for either Bowles or Gase.  He's already ahead of Sam on that front.

Stats are fun. I got one for you... 2/0. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Honestly, I think it's going to be Wilson vs. Fields for lots of us over the first year or two.  If it goes the wrong way, nothing else JD does will really matter.  Not entirely fair, perhaps, but given the Jets' history, it is what it is.

Whoever the 49ers select will be the one who everyone will compare because both our systems are cut from the one cloth. If that is Fields it's going to be a long 10 years of comparing the two.

30 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

Whoever the 49ers select will be the one who everyone will compare because both our systems are cut from the one cloth. If that is Fields it's going to be a long 10 years of comparing the two.

If we are comparing them for 10 years, it means both teams did well.  I think I'd be content with that.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

We’ve been over this 8000 times by now. It’s hard to go crazy about college QB stats one way or another. You have to evaluate the individual’s physical and personality traits, project them into the NFL, and ultimately, take an educated guess.

Tim Tebow put up godly numbers at Florida . . . 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, adobolo2 said:

At this stage is doesn't matter what their numbers were in collage.

We have to stop comparing the two, Sam is gone and if we keep looking to see who had better stats every week we will only torment ourselves.

Focus on Wilson and noting else (unless we select fields?)

Sam seems like he'd be better at collage. Zach strikes me as more of an old school scrapbooker. 

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If we are comparing them for 10 years, it means both teams did well.  I think I'd be content with that.

At this stage I don't care if Wilson turns out to be Ryan Leaf in a wheelchair we may stick with him.....I'm f**ked up changing QBs ever other year ??

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Now compare their teammates. This is getting fun, lets keep going. 

Indeed, we should look at everything.  And evaluate accordingly.

Be assured, NFL Front Offices take all of this stuff seriously.  Even if some of us don't.

7 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

...he just bet his career on this move.

He just bought himself three years at least.

As was discussed at length already, this move (toss Darnold, draft a rookie) is the "safe move" for an NFL GM.  He now has at least three years he might not have gotten if he stuck with Sam.

Hopefully he made the move for the right reasons, but unquestionably it's the right move for his own job security.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As was discussed at length already, this move (toss Darnold, draft a rookie) is the "safe move" for an NFL GM.  He now has at least three years he might not have gotten if he stuck with Sam.

Hopefully he made the move for the right reasons, but unquestionably it's the right move for his own job security.

Or maybe he really is going with his gut feeling on how the team can improve and acting on it. Maybe he is already a multimillionaire and can retire if he wanted to and doesnt care about job security but rather doing what he feels he needs to do to make the team win games.

It's NOT "unquestionable". You could be right or wrong but its an assumption on your part as to his motives

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Or maybe he really is going with his gut feeling on how the team can improve and acting on it. Maybe he is already a multimillionaire and can retire if he wanted to and doesnt care about job security but rather doing what he feels he needs to do to make the team win games.

Two things can be true at once.  He might (and I would hope does) believe strongly in Wilson.  And in doing so it can also be good for his job security.

It's NOT "unquestionable". You could be right or wrong but its an assumption on your part as to his motives

You're wrong, it is clearly the safe move, as history tends to show, but believe whatever you like.  Not worth arguing about tbqh.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yup!

This is why it was always going to be what was going to happen.  Consciously or not - this was the ultimate conclusion he was going to come to,. 

IMO, it is also the best move for the franchise...We'll have to wait and see on that one though!

• Upvote 1

Darnold became a darling for the Rose Bowl vs. Penn St. that was his first season as a starter.  It was after that game that people on this very board, argued to pass on Watson and Mahomes and wait for the following draft because Sam Darnold was a god.   He then, had another season as a starter.   He threw 31 Td's/26 TD's respectively over those 2 seasons.

Wilson was an injured nobody throwing 10 TD's a year , then blew up this year and became the #2 overall pick.  Nobody knew who Zach Wilson was this time last year.

That's why he's being called a 1 year wonder.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Randy Moss 1 year wonder at Marshall.  96 receptions, 1820 yards 19 per catch 26 TD's.

NFL rookie Year 80 receptions, 1413 yards 19 per catch 17TD's to lead the league  All pro, offensive rookie of the year.  

Must have been the NFL like competition at Marshall that prepared him for the NFL.  

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

And accuracy. Turnovers and accuracy are typically there for your collegiate and pro career 

Agree. I was very happy when we drafted Sam but we all knew his issues in college

turnovers

Inconsistent mechanics

deep ball accuracy

Those problems continued  in the NFL

many people have concerns about Wilson but his college play shows

he is not a turnover machine

excellent mechanics and release

excellent deep ball accuracy 

If he can maintain those skills in the NFL he should be an upgrade over Sam.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Randy Moss 1 year wonder at Marshall.  96 receptions, 1820 yards 19 per catch 26 TD's.

NFL rookie Year 80 receptions, 1413 yards 19 per catch 17TD's to lead the league  All pro, offensive rookie of the year.  

Must have been the NFL like competition at Marshall that prepared him for the NFL.  

Bingo. None of these simplistic narratives really work. One year wonder? air raid offense QB? Small school QB? There are major exceptions everywhere. 

If there were rules that made this stuff easy to project, there would be very few busts. 

• Upvote 2