Zach Wilson Medical Check (April 8-10)

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

And Mitch Trubisky was “head and shoulders” above Watson and Mahomes based on the ppl you’re getting your opinion from. so shut the Fck up and let ppl talk. 

Why dont you guys back up your arguments with a cash wager?     Then when one of you is right, you not only can gloat but you can gloat with the other guys cash!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

Why dont you guys back up your arguments with a cash wager?     Then when one of you is right, you not only can gloat but you can gloat with the other guys cash!

You think that fkboi would actually put anything on the line?

Just now, Tranquilo said:

We have an insider on the board who's saying Wilson will be the pick. Anyway, we'll see on draft day, I guess.

I have also said I expect Wilson to be the pick.  What are we debating now?  

Just now, Tranquilo said:

So you think they're going to use their leverage to trade down? 

I see the Jets in a position of power in this draft. They have several options, be it trade down, trade up a few spots up after trading down, or just stay were they are and select a quarterback. 

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

His shoulders are a huge concern to me. I think there's a possibility the Jets still draft Justin Fields. 

What about Fields knee? or Ribs?

No concern?

The guy was wearing a knee brace just a year ago.  For some reason Wilson's injuries (for which he missed no time) seem to bother people but all these other guys injuries are of no concern.  

It's just silly, Wilson shoulder surgery is commonplace for QB's.  it's not an indicator of shoulder troubles going forward.  Don't like Wilson, it's fine - but do it for the right reasons.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/justin-fields-knee-not-fully-healed-entering-fiesta-bowl

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

fck off. I put cash wagers all the time. what the fck is wager - that Wilson goes first? What are you guys, dense? No one's pitting Wilson against Fields in this thread... there's just discussing the topic. 

@Mods. you guys could do some basic culture upkeep from time to time.  It's not all low hanging fruit with racial remarks and name calling. I'm obviously outspoken and rather contentious but the average JN poster just doesn't bother coming back when their post is replied to with "are you delusional" 

Adios 

• Upvote 2

I want the Jets to draft the best QB available, whoever that turns out to be.

But I will admit there will be a little 'extra' if that turns out to be Fields because the level of arrogance of some posters for the last few months has become so over the top that they will feel like their hearts have been ripped from their chests if Fields is the call.

"Conan, what is best in life?"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

fck off. I put cash wagers all the time. what the fck is wager - that Wilson goes first? What are you guys, dense? No one's pitting Wilson against Fields in this thread... there's just discussing the topic. 

@Mods. you guys could do some basic culture upkeep from time to time.  It's not all low hanging fruit with racial remarks and name calling. I'm obviously outspoken and rather contentious but the average JN poster just doesn't bother coming back when their post is replied to with "are you delusional" 

Adios 

Bye? 

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What about Fields knee? or Ribs?

No concern?

The guy was wearing a knee brace just a year ago.  For some reason Wilson's injuries (for which he missed no time) seem to bother people but all these other guys injuries are of no concern.  

It's just silly, Wilson shoulder surgery is commonplace for QB's.  it's not an indicator of shoulder troubles going forward.  Don't like Wilson, it's fine - but do it for the right reasons.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/justin-fields-knee-not-fully-healed-entering-fiesta-bowl

I think the concern some folks have is that Wilson just doesn't look like he's built to withstand the pounding that NFL QB's take. But it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

‘Welcome to New York’: ESPN’s Adam Schefter says Zach Wilson will be Jets’ pick at No. 2 in 2021 NFL Draft

Updated 10:54 AM; Today 10:50 AM
Zach Wilson

The New York Jets are expected to use the No. 2 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft on BYU quarterback Zach Wilson.AP

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

“In this world, nothing is certain except death and taxes.” - Benjamin Franklin

In the world of the New York Jets, there’s one more guarantee: that the team will use the No. 2 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft on BYU quarterback Zach Wilson.

That’s what ESPN’s Adam Schefter said Tuesday on “Get Up!” when discussing Monday’s trade sending quarterback Sam Darnold to the Carolina Panthers. Host Mike Greenberg asked Schefter if the Jets have locked in on Wilson at No. 2.

“Greeny, I sent him a text yesterday. I said, ‘Welcome to New York, Zach. Officially.’ So that’s about as far as I can go right now. Zach Wilson would seem to be the obvious choice at No. 2. It looks like he is headed to the Jets. You don’t trade Sam Darnold and make that move without knowing that you’re going to take a quarterback at No. 2. So let’s play it out: Trevor Lawrence is going No. 1 to Jacksonville. The Jets are on the clock and they’re going to take Zach Wilson from Brigham Young.”

Jets general manager Joe Douglas received three draft picks from the Panthers in exchange for Darnold: a 2021 sixth-round pick and second- and fourth-round picks in 2022.

Darnold’s track record with the Jets underwhelmed: a 13-25 record as a starter with 45 touchdowns and 39 interceptions. Shipping him to Carolina gives the Jets the chance to pair new head coach Robert Saleh with a new franchise QB.

The deal also gives the 23-year-old Darnold a chance to reboot his career with the Panthers. CBS Sports’ Jonathan Jones reports “The Panthers will exercise QB Sam Darnold’s fifth-year option. ... Darnold was obviously not Carolina’s first option. They were involved in the (Matthew) Stafford derby. They really wanted Deshaun (Watson). Jimmy (Garoppolo) doesn’t look to be leaving SF. They couldn’t get a top draft QB after the SF-MIA trade. Darnold, by early April, became their best available option.”

Thank you for relying on us to provide the journalism you can trust. Please consider supporting NJ.com with a subscription.

Mike Rosenstein may be reached at mrosenstein@njadvancemedia.com. Tell us your coronavirus story or send a tip here.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Why, because the media is saying the Jets are taking Wilson just like they said Cleveland is taking Darnold?

Because Wilson's skill set aligns with the offense the Jets want to run. Quick processing decisions. Whether true or not that is the knock you read about Fields.  Is it true? I don't know. Just what you read

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

He's always right, huh.

He has good information. That plus Schefter texting "Welcome to NY" to Zach, and Zach's dad retweeting NYJ centric stuff, and the timing of moves, consensus, etc. makes me think Wilson is the pick. 

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

His shoulders are a huge concern to me. I think there's a possibility the Jets still draft Justin Fields. 

Not a chance.  Too many bad performances from Fields within a small sample size.  If they don't actually take Wilson, it may be Mac Jones.  Also.  A labrum issue is not as critical as other types of shoulder issues.  You can miss time due to a labrum procedure, but it is not likely to derail a career.  If you recall, Sanchez had a torn labrum and he recovered with no loss of physical abilities.  

No they are not.
What they are allowed to do, and I'm positive have done, is have a doctor examine any MRI's X-rays, or doctor's reports following the surgery.  The MRI's would have told them a heck of a lot more then any physical exam a doctor might make on 4/8.
He doesn't have any more chance of failing a physical at this point then any other QB in this draft.  His play showed he has no discomfort in his shoulder.  
Wilson's the pick
They're not just looking for 'does it affect him now' - they're looking at the quality of the repair and his body's response to the repair over time to predict if he's likely to have issues in the future.

Just a guess here, but I can't find any mention of the surgeon in any of the old articles, so it likely wasn't a well-known 'expert'. Doesn't mean it wasn't done right, just that the teams would probably feel better about it if it was one of the handful of guys that does this on NFL (or NFL-bound) QBs and other pro athletes.

6 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

I think the concern some folks have is that Wilson just doesn't look like he's built to withstand the pounding that NFL QB's take. But it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

:-)

I agree...but I ask those people to look around the league - look round the NFL.  Are QB injuries tied to the QB's size? 

Do we see that as a trend? Are the smaller QB's injured more often than the bigger ones?

The answer, of course, is no.

Thinking Wilson (6'2" and 214 pounds) is more likely to be injured because of his size is just lazy analysis. 

Moreover, he's really middle of the pack as far as size goes - it's not like he's some type of outlier...

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Moreover, he's really middle of the pack as far as size goes - it's not like he's some type of outlier...

That's the thing 

Some of us thought losing 14 games would earn this team an outlier... To the good side 

This "middle of the pack" stuff is a real crotch softener 

He's like... A Normal human. Yay? 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That's the thing 

Some of us thought losing 14 games would earn this team an outlier... To the good side 

This "middle of the pack" stuff is a real crotch softener 

He's like... A Normal human. Yay? 

I know it's your schtick and all but I'm going to play along this once...

He is actually an outlier in virtually every other aspect you're looking for in a QB that matters. Arm strength, deep accuracy, short accuracy, pocket movement, anticipation, throwing/arm angles, off-platform throws/plays and creativity. 

He has all the tools you could possibly want, he's a legitimate great prospect.  I'm just not sure why you and many others are just so afraid to accept what virtually every professional analyst and GM have already made clear.  He's a great prospect.   

Sam's gone and he's coming - get on board the ZW train!

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

I read that an unnamed "source" said the Jets proceeded with the Darnold trade right after medically checking Wilson.  This would make more sense but who knows.

Jets have not had any opportunity to medically check Wilson to date.  Look at his medical records?  Yes.  Medically check him?  No

50 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I know it's your schtick and all but I'm going to play along this once...

He is actually an outlier in virtually every other aspect you're looking for in a QB that matters. Arm strength, deep accuracy, short accuracy, pocket movement, anticipation, throwing/arm angles, off-platform throws/plays and creativity. 

He has all the tools you could possibly want, he's a legitimate great prospect.  I'm just not sure why you and many others are just so afraid to accept what virtually every professional analyst and GM have already made clear.  He's a great prospect.   

Sam's gone and he's coming - get on board the ZW train!

My concern is that his special attributes are not proven by measurement

This was never about Sam. I was against Sam before he was drafted too. It's about asking too much of a 21 year old, again 

2 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

What makes you think they're weighing their options?

It doesn’t really benefit the Jets in any way to tip their hand right now. Probably doesn’t hurt a lot either, since nobody will get ahead of them to take their guy. But if SF really really wanted a prospect who the Jets had someone else ahead of, maybe they could have gotten something in return for flipping picks. Even if that guy isn’t Wilson - if SF really wants Fields or Jones but the Jets want Wilson they could’ve pumped up interest in one of those guys. Or who knows what could’ve come up. It’s not a big deal but if that’s Wilson’s what they’re doing as it seems it’s a little disappointing it’s so obvious already. Not extremely disappointing, but a little.

Tie that in with how absolutely terribly off the pre-FA Jets rumors were and maybe they’re being sneaky. I don’t expect that, I just don’t see how basically announcing they’re taking Wilson three weeks before the draft is a good thing or why they would do it.