Every Single Expert and Prognosticator

6 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Is acting like Sam Darnold is/was Dan Marino and the Jets have just been "holding him back".  Like I get it but, have these people watched a single game?  The kid NEVER progressed, he NEVER got better, he RARELY had flashes of brilliance...if we were really holding down Sam Darnold, perhaps he would have won a few games in spite of this horrible and horrific franchise--and he NEVER did it.

I wish the kid nothing but the best, he's a good kid and I hope he does great, honestly, but, this idea that we had John Elway on our roster and it was "all the Jets fault that he is a horrible QB" is really, really, really reaching.  It's bad and irresponsible.

Discuss.

Wait to you see him actually coached in CAR. Egg on your face sir

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jbt said:

Flacco showed more last year, maybe should of kept him

Sam Darnold vs Pats: 23/34 266yds 1td 2ints (Sam will never beat the Pats will Belichick there)

Joe Flacco vs Pats: 18/25 262 3tds 1int

And Flacco's other three games he was 50% 3/2 and went 0-4. 

Anyway...It's in the past...Time to get aboard the 2021 draft and Wilson

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Is acting like Sam Darnold is/was Dan Marino and the Jets have just been "holding him back".  Like I get it but, have these people watched a single game?  The kid NEVER progressed, he NEVER got better, he RARELY had flashes of brilliance...if we were really holding down Sam Darnold, perhaps he would have won a few games in spite of this horrible and horrific franchise--and he NEVER did it.

I wish the kid nothing but the best, he's a good kid and I hope he does great, honestly, but, this idea that we had John Elway on our roster and it was "all the Jets fault that he is a horrible QB" is really, really, really reaching.  It's bad and irresponsible.

Discuss.

All he had to do is play for the Jets and he did that. It’s not about Sam, it’s about this shitty franchise. 

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

It is overstated.  But it wasn't a great situation.  If he went to a good team with good coaching he probably could have been a mid-level QB instead of the very bottom.

Agreed.  He was not a good QB, but he was not exactly put into a situation where a young guy could thrive.  I have no idea what he will do in Carolina, and I really don't care. 

Probably was best for both player and team to move on.  What Sam does in Carolina does not matter to me.  What the post-Darnold Jets do the next few years does.

• Upvote 3

Darnold couldn’t play the position. Everything he did was a struggle. A simple play action fake never looked natural for him. Anything under center was a struggle. He is a good athlete and could improvise every so often, but you can’t play the position that way.

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's just years of 'Jetsy' beaten in to me. But, it's difficult for me to not see him being successful now.  I've see the interceptions and bad decisions.  While I don't expect that to stop, if it does the only possible excuse left is Jets.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  He was not a good QB, but he was not exactly put into a situation where a young guy could thrive.  I have no idea what he will do in Carolina, and I really don't care. 

Probably was best for both player and team to move on.  What Sam does in Carolina does not matter to me.  What the post-Darnold Jets do the next few years does.

Unfortunately, I have to root for him to bomb in Carolina, at least next year, to increase the value of our picks.

22 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Discuss.

The short answer to your question is no, they never watched film aside from a clip here and there. They would have no answer to the clean pocket mistakes Sam made over and over. If he was going to be elite, it would have been evident after 3 seasons. I think he can be top 15 - but that's not what you shoot for with a top pick. We're swinging for the fences now and I like it! As soon as Mel Kiper and Booger said it was a mistake, I knew we did the right thing. :) 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, jbt said:

Sam Darnold vs Pats: 23/34 266yds 1td 2ints

Really that was the most damning thing.  That Flacco came in and actually boosted the Jets with the same crappy roster around him.  

Sam is going to have a fine career.  He will always be streaky and can be a middle of the road starting QB in the NFL.  He really played only like 7-9 good games for the Jets over 3 years.  Moments of brilliance and more moments of poor decisions.  He has talent.  He was stilted here but his original problems never improved and then he developed new problems.  You want your QB to elevate the team.  If Sam is on a good team I think he can be fine but I don't think he's ever going go on a tear and lift a team up.

17 minutes ago, slats said:

No different than here. Every time the Jets do anything, there's a large contingent ready to pounce on it and say it was dumb. They're also often right. 

Now that we seem to be competent in the important positions (GM, HC, OC, hopefully QB), wouldn't it be great if we create this juggernaut that wins so much everyone hates on us for that too? Because you know they will. It will be like the Patriots hate, but on steroids. We can only hope!

Just now, slimjasi said:

It’s an easy narrative. Mock the lowly Jets and assume they f*cked Sam up like they f*ck up everything else. I get it.

The other perk is, you can easily take this stance without watching any Jets games. The vast majority of national media guys who were telling everyone the Jets should keep Sam hadn’t watched Sam take more than 10 snaps last season.  

In fairness, as predictions go this is a pretty safe one to go with year after year. Also consider these experts also used to fall over themselves at the masterful way the Patriots used to school everyone else in the draft, for years as they traded down & took future bust after future bust. 

The Jets haven't earned any benefit of the doubt because they've been so horrible for so long. That's fair treatment imo. 

You want benefit of the doubt? Some of these "smart" planning moves have to start paying off in the form of playoffs & championships. A good start would be winning more games than they're lose in a single season, which happened once in the last 10 years from 2011-2020. It's amazing that the built-in excuse for not winning the division collapses: Patriots lose Brady, they finally finish the season under .500 for the first time in 2 decades, and the Jets still finish 2-14. 

The team needs to change that before its fans should get too miffed by these slights. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Darnold couldn’t play the position. Everything he did was a struggle. A simple play action fake never looked natural for him. Anything under center was a struggle. He is a good athlete and could improvise every so often, but you can’t play the position that way.

Also never looked comfortable in the pocket.  Simms’ quote in his pre draft eval was ‘darnold wants the pocket to break down.’  What a perfect statement.  

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It’s an easy narrative. Mock the lowly Jets and assume they f*cked Sam up like they f*ck up everything else. I get it.

The other perk is, you can easily take this stance without watching any Jets games. The vast majority of national media guys who were telling everyone the Jets should keep Sam hadn’t watched Sam take more than 10 snaps last season.  

facts

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/11/26/7292979/usc-quarterbacks-nfl-mark-sanchez-carson-palmer-matt-leinart

40 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Discuss.

ESPN especially has a Jets are dumb, inept, the root of all Evil etc narrative.  I think greeney is one of the worst at pushing it.   While it’s partially true, it’s very unfair to ignore Sam’s contribution to the disaster. 

48 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Is acting like Sam Darnold is/was Dan Marino

Really?  That's an interesting take.

and the Jets have just been "holding him back".  Like I get it but, have these people watched a single game?

The Jets of the past three years have been amongst the worst coached, least talented teams in football.  We Jets Fans have been saying that throughout.

So yes, Darnold is going to get some level of benefit of the doubt as to his play here, because here, frankly, sucked the last buncha years,

Here is an idea:  stop worrying about what media people say about a QB who is no longer our problem.

Sam will play in CAR and will make speculation irrelevant when his play there becomes a fact, one way or the other.  

We should be far more concerned with who OUR QB will be, and how he will play, and what we're doing at #2 QB.

.....this idea that we had John Elway on our roster and it was "all the Jets fault that he is a horrible QB" is really, really, really reaching.  It's bad and irresponsible.

Discuss.

I've not seen anyone compare Darnold to Marino or Elway or anyone else of that ilk.  I think you're seeing things, honestly.

• Upvote 1

Sam’s going to look better in Carolina. Sam would’ve looked better here with a new coaching staff and better WRs too.

Will he look better than Zach Wilson? Being Jets fan we know how this probably goes, even if today the decision seems like the right one 

• Sympathy 3

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In fairness, as predictions go this is a pretty safe one to go with year after year. Also consider these experts also used to fall over themselves at the masterful way the Patriots used to school everyone else in the draft, for years as they traded down & took future bust after future bust. 

The Jets haven't earned any benefit of the doubt because they've been so horrible for so long. That's fair treatment imo. 

You want benefit of the doubt? Some of these "smart" planning moves have to start paying off in the form of playoffs & championships. A good start would be winning more games than they're lose in a single season, which happened once in the last 10 years from 2011-2020. It's amazing that the built-in excuse for not winning the division collapses: Patriots lose Brady, they finally finish the season under .500 for the first time in 2 decades, and the Jets still finish 2-14. 

The team needs to change that before its fans should get too miffed by these slights. 

Agreed.

50 minutes ago, jbt said:

Sam Darnold vs Pats: 23/34 266yds 1td 2ints

Flacco got an extra $3m in his contract this year so I think he benefited from the Gase effect also.