Examples of Zach Wilson pocket pressure & reaction breakdown

7 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

So whats the cliff notes? Hes calm under pressure and doesnt force things?

I think there is more to be established the further in I get, but just from this Tenn game, I think the main thing you can take away from it is, yeah, he makes smart decisions with the football under duress & for the most part he is disciplined enough in his mechanics to not stray away from them and make poor throws off his back foot when taken out of an ideal platform to fire a pass.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

[Game 2] 2019 VS Washington

jZ78VY.gif

Okay, got my boner pants on for this first one vs Washington 2019. Wilson puts his man in motion, ball is snapped & instantly pressure comes in from the left side. #94 just destroys BYU's LG and it forces Wilson to step up and adjust to the situation quickly you can see Wilson starts off his progression on the left side and as soon as 94 closes in, Wilson snaps back right and sees the slot crossing over the middle, as Wilson is climbing forward and readying to fire, he doesn't drop the ball down low to his waist and put the ball at risk of getting swatted out of his hand, he picks his elbows up and fires a beauty to his guy & he flat out drops the pass. . . . smooth maneuvering and execution by Wilson here. showing calmness in the face of instant pressure.

D1p825.gif

1st & 5 here and BYU is squarely in the red zone. Washington dials up a Safety blitz & Wilson notices it from the jump. the play call is a RPO & Wilson knows theres no one to account for the extra rusher, he pulls the pass back to prevent the TFL and quickly jumps out of the way of the safety before the DE comes free and forces this throw away. I really like that Wilson understood the limitations of what he could do with that situation & opted to kill it on the spot instead of compounding it with a bad decision. I feel like this is the exact kind of play/situation that Darnold forces a pass on & it gets intercepted.

p8r2Py.gif

Wilson wants to roll left where he's anticipating one of his receivers will win their match up, the receivers aren't even looking & before anything else can develop, the DE blows up the blocker which quickly forces Wilson to dirt it. Another example of knowing what play to keep alive and what play isn't worth it. if he wanted to try & keep that play alive, the only realistic thing I could of seen for him to do is twist back around to the right side and fire a pass to a covered receiver. Good job dirting this pass.

OMV8DE.gif

BONER PANTS STILL ON. 2nd & 10 and down 21-3 and Wilson just took a HUGE shot up top by a unblocked edge rusher that resulted in a fumble & a touchdown. Wilson drops back and instantly has to spring forward to climb up the pocket and evade the rush collapsing from the LG. he side steps & fires almost like a Damian Lillard step back jumper. tight footwork, squares his shoulders fires a dime.

D1p8V6.gif

this is not a throw under pressure but it's an absolutely beautiful pass on the run. I mean, the ball placement really doesn't get any better than that one. wowwowow.

jZ789y.gif

This isn't an interception as the result of pressure but just wanted to highlight this play. Wilson makes the correct read here. does all the right things except he sails this ball & it hangs in the air way too long. Washington DB makes an awesome one handed interception. Wilson just put too much touch on it and the pass got away from him. should of put a little torque on it. 

XLm5Bv.gif

Down 24-9 inching towards the 2:00 mark in the 1st half, Wilson has to rally them back into the game with by at least making it a ball game going into the 3rd. 3 WR set here with a TE flexed out. pressure almost instantly caves from the left side yet again and the defender manages to grab Wilson the shoe laces for a second, but he manages to get out of it, keep composure, square up with calm feet and fire a pass low where only his man can get it. zero signs of happy feet in the majority of the snaps I've seen of him under pressure in this game.

WLkqEx.gif

So a trend so far with Wilson is that he shows the willingness to throw away the ball the needed. This is one of those times where Wilson needs to throw away the ball and he doesn't. Pressure comes in straight up the gut & then another WSH defender comes flying in from the left side UGHHHH just throw that one out of the stadium and save the play from negative yardage!!! So, again, he shows the willingness to make that decision and we've even seen that he does it at a pleasant rate vs Washington. he needs to do it more. Back to situational awareness as it pertains to being a QB. its huge. you're down by a hefty score, you're needing to drive up field and make this a game. 0:44 secs left in the half. CHUCK THE BALL!!!

p8r2vV.gif

Wilson's 2nd INT, his man just falls down at the top of his route and easy pickings for the DB.

OVERALL:

Wilson was harassed all day, knocked into the turf, I counted 7 or 8 drops by his receivers off the top of my head, fumble after fumble by BYU's skill position players, he made smart decisions, he made one or two decisions that he definitely would want back. i was impressed by the resilience, but not impressed by the result if that makes sense. This is a game where I'm sort of indifferent about his play but I also acknowledge that Wilson didn't play bad and his team fumbled 4 times I believe. each fumble resulting in scores for WSH. There are couple of more exceptional passes from Wilson in this game film that I didn't post for sake of staying on the topic of reaction under pressure.

more content to follow tomorrow. thanks for the compliments guys. I have the next two days off & nothing to do, so I thought was fun.

Very happy you did Washington. That and USC are the two games I want to see some cut ups on.  Excellent post!!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Anyways, good job on the thread PK.

appreciate that! let me know if you guys have any suggestions on the next few opponents to post some cut ups of. Mogglez named USC, thinking about doing Houston, I know that was a rough game for him. any more suggestions would be welcomed.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I'll be updating this thread as I go because theres so much I wanted to cover but just can't in one post.

I wanted to start this series of breakdowns away from Wilson's 2020 season and as far away from the weaker teams as I could. . . . on purpose.

important to note: I am not a professional at all lol. I know what I'm looking at, I believe I know the correct way to interpret that to everyone lmao, but I'm mostly doing this for fun)

[Game 1] 2019 VS Tennessee

XLmrjV.gif

Okay, so there isn't much here on this first example other than the pressure instantly caves in from the right side. The RG gets beat off the swim move as soon as the ball is snapped. Zach is starting his progressions from the left side and doesn't initially see the rusher until his move is already made, but you can see at the last split second, he turns his head to right & notices the pass rusher out of the corner of his eye, he steps up into the pocket to avoid getting wrapped up into a sack but the edge gets there in time to make the play.

There are a few things I look for in particular that I'd like to stand out in the situation where a play is blown up as soon as the play is in motion. is the QB a multi-tasker and can he keep his head up and stand firm knowing in the back of his mind there is a 250lb + DE closing in on him. Wilson keeps his head up as he's making his initial move to avoid the sack, he calmly makes his side step while still reading the field for a throw & his feet are calm and still in a position to rip a pass, he doesn't get wide based in his lower mechanics or stray away from it in chaos, but, at that point, he's toast.

let me be clear, I don't take anything in this first example as mind boggling or something most other NFL QB's can't do.(actually Sam Darnold did this a lot, aside from straying away from his mechanics & decision making once he did side step pressure.), but it's a good ice breaker for this breakdown & I guess I try to find the little things & see if they follow a pattern on much bigger plays.

jZ782v.gif

1st & 10 here at mid-field, good job understanding the situation here. Zach Wilson rolls out to his left, tries to shake the defender rushing in on him, but once he realizes the coverage sliding to the only receiver he can realistically get the ball off to, there just isn't enough time to dodge & reset, he opts to throw it away & kill the play. this play made me smile.

gZ12ZG.gif

this is a good example of Wilson rushing the process in his head. I know Tenn had two rushers collapsing from both sides but as he's stepping up in the pocket, it looks like he wants to fire it to the right side but didn't like the look enough to pull the trigger, instead, he pulls it down and tries find a running lane and gets taken into a swarm of orange & white jerseys. It's hard to know what the back end overage looked like from this angle, but safe to say the back end was covered well enough based on Wilson's reaction to the pocket. I thought he bailed too soon on this play personally. he wasn't comfortable enough to climb to the left and find the soft spot in the pocket.

5QJLRv.gif

okay, 3rd & 1 here, down 3 against an SEC team, top of the 3rd Q, need to strike back & swing momentum BYU's way. its an RPO where he can either hand it off or go to his hitch route on the right side. Wilson pulls it for the pass & his hitch route is immediately covered so he dirts it. I'm not sure what he was reading on that one, but as soon as he realizes its not there he does the smart thing and kills the play. the correct thing to do was hand the ball off and play it safe here. they're one 1st down away from being in opponent territory, just keep the drive alive then look to open it up with a fresh set of downs. some of the best QB's have good feel for each situation their offense is placed in during a drive, they know when to take their chances. KNOW THE SITUATION. think thats an important mental aspect of the game that doesn't get talked about enough.

ZYq0WJ.gif

16-16 OT, 1st & 10 after a huge pass to set them up in the red zone. instant pressure flying in from the left side but Wilson's 1st read is all he needs, he feels the rush, he makes the throw, TD BYU. they beat Tennessee IN Tennessee 22-16.

Overall I thought Wilson had some mixed results against Tennessee. he made some smart plays under duress & he had some hiccups under duress. I think even just with this first example though, its from 2019, he faced SEC pressure, and while it wasn't perfect, a sophomore Zach Wilson got the win. 2020 was easier on him but he has faced true pressure. I wanna further magnify  that as I go on.

Only the fifth one showed any sort of awareness. The other four were disastrous. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

lol I thought the same thing as I was watching this play unfold.

well when he rolled away from the pressure and that guy came right at him it didnt look like something he could avoid at the very least he didn't do something stupid and turn the ball over he just sat down and submitted the play

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

appreciate that! let me know if you guys have any suggestions on the next few opponents to post some cut ups of. Mogglez named USC, thinking about doing Houston, I know that was a rough game for him. any more suggestions would be welcomed.

Appreciate you posting these. The one thing I saw is he had a couple of blown plays in the RPO where he could have just handed the ball off vs. trying to make lemonade.  Assume LaFleur and Calabrese will coach that out of him...

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Only the fifth one showed any sort of awareness. The other four were disastrous. 

I disagree there, but I definitely made sure to add in some disaster, otherwise it wouldn’t be very cool to waste everyone’s time with sexy cherry picked sack evading skillz. Wanted to be fair. I think he showed some encouraging reactions based on knowing when to throw it away, knowing what was coming & reacting positively to collapsing pockets and stepping up into newly formed ones once everyone’s positions shift post- sack attempt. Important to note as @FidelioJetmentiined, this is 2019, his sophomore season, the one before his “one year wonder” season. We don’t have to use it as an excuse for bad plays, but let’s consider it when we see it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

While I still think Mac Jones will turn out to be the best QB I wont be disappointed if we draft Wilson.

In a Mac Jones situation we could find out what San Frans Intentions are due to the connection with Saleh and if we wanted to trade out to the 4th or 5th pick and grab Jones and a few more picks it could be available. Personally I think San Fran wants Jones because he's perfect for the WCO IMO. Keeping in mind three of the best QB's of this current NFL era all had issues with speed and running ability Manning Brady and Rothlesberger. Mac can move very well in the pocket and gets the ball out faster than any of the other QB's in this draft

30 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

While I still think Mac Jones will turn out to be the best QB I wont be disappointed if we draft Wilson.

In a Mac Jones situation we could find out what San Frans Intentions are due to the connection with Saleh and if we wanted to trade out to the 4th or 5th pick and grab Jones and a few more picks it could be available. Personally I think San Fran wants Jones because he's perfect for the WCO IMO. Keeping in mind three of the best QB's of this current NFL era all had issues with speed and running ability Manning Brady and Rothlesberger. Mac can move very well in the pocket and gets the ball out faster than any of the other QB's in this draft

Niners want Jones because they know Wilson wont be there. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I'll be updating this thread as I go because theres so much I wanted to cover but just can't in one post.

I wanted to start this series of breakdowns away from Wilson's 2020 season and as far away from the weaker teams as I could. . . . on purpose.

important to note: I am not a professional at all lol. I know what I'm looking at, I believe I know the correct way to interpret that to everyone lmao, but I'm mostly doing this for fun)

[Game 1] 2019 VS Tennessee

XLmrjV.gif

Okay, so there isn't much here on this first example other than the pressure instantly caves in from the right side. The RG gets beat off the swim move as soon as the ball is snapped. Zach is starting his progressions from the left side and doesn't initially see the rusher until his move is already made, but you can see at the last split second, he turns his head to right & notices the pass rusher out of the corner of his eye, he steps up into the pocket to avoid getting wrapped up into a sack but the edge gets there in time to make the play.

There are a few things I look for in particular that I'd like to stand out in the situation where a play is blown up as soon as the play is in motion. is the QB a multi-tasker and can he keep his head up and stand firm knowing in the back of his mind there is a 250lb + DE closing in on him. Wilson keeps his head up as he's making his initial move to avoid the sack, he calmly makes his side step while still reading the field for a throw & his feet are calm and still in a position to rip a pass, he doesn't get wide based in his lower mechanics or stray away from it in chaos, but, at that point, he's toast.

let me be clear, I don't take anything in this first example as mind boggling or something most other NFL QB's can't do.(actually Sam Darnold did this a lot, aside from straying away from his mechanics & decision making once he did side step pressure.), but it's a good ice breaker for this breakdown & I guess I try to find the little things & see if they follow a pattern on much bigger plays.

jZ782v.gif

1st & 10 here at mid-field, good job understanding the situation here. Zach Wilson rolls out to his left, tries to shake the defender rushing in on him, but once he realizes the coverage sliding to the only receiver he can realistically get the ball off to, there just isn't enough time to dodge & reset, he opts to throw it away & kill the play. this play made me smile.

gZ12ZG.gif

this is a good example of Wilson rushing the process in his head. I know Tenn had two rushers collapsing from both sides but as he's stepping up in the pocket, it looks like he wants to fire it to the right side but didn't like the look enough to pull the trigger, instead, he pulls it down and tries find a running lane and gets taken into a swarm of orange & white jerseys. It's hard to know what the back end overage looked like from this angle, but safe to say the back end was covered well enough based on Wilson's reaction to the pocket. I thought he bailed too soon on this play personally. he wasn't comfortable enough to climb to the left and find the soft spot in the pocket.

5QJLRv.gif

okay, 3rd & 1 here, down 3 against an SEC team, top of the 3rd Q, need to strike back & swing momentum BYU's way. its an RPO where he can either hand it off or go to his hitch route on the right side. Wilson pulls it for the pass & his hitch route is immediately covered so he dirts it. I'm not sure what he was reading on that one, but as soon as he realizes its not there he does the smart thing and kills the play. the correct thing to do was hand the ball off and play it safe here. they're one 1st down away from being in opponent territory, just keep the drive alive then look to open it up with a fresh set of downs. some of the best QB's have good feel for each situation their offense is placed in during a drive, they know when to take their chances. KNOW THE SITUATION. think thats an important mental aspect of the game that doesn't get talked about enough.

ZYq0WJ.gif

16-16 OT, 1st & 10 after a huge pass to set them up in the red zone. instant pressure flying in from the left side but Wilson's 1st read is all he needs, he feels the rush, he makes the throw, TD BYU. they beat Tennessee IN Tennessee 22-16.

Overall I thought Wilson had some mixed results against Tennessee. he made some smart plays under duress & he had some hiccups under duress. I think even just with this first example though, its from 2019, he faced SEC pressure, and while it wasn't perfect, a sophomore Zach Wilson got the win. 2020 was easier on him but he has faced true pressure. I wanna further magnify  that as I go on.

Wasn't he a freshman in that game?  

13 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

Love these PK, thanks! I feel like everywhere I look, I see all the “experts” saying it’s a given the Jets take him. That’s what I want (especially after yesterday) but I just have this bad feeling.....

The way I’m looking at it is that it really can’t get any worse than the 30th best QB in the NFL lol. 

No, but joking aside, be excited. Wilson is an extremely entertaining pick if nothing else. There is a lot to like & as all other prospects, there are questions. You have to like the situation Wilson is coming into opposed to the situation Darnold walked into in 2018.

Joe Douglas > Mike Maccagnan by a long shot.

Robert Saleh seems to be the guy we’ve been looking for & LaFleur is a young innovative offensive mind from a favorable coaching tree, bringing in a QB friendly system, a system that’s working really well right now & a system Zach Wilson is not only familiar with from concepts used at BYU, but he’s got the perfect skill set to compliment this system.

Corey Davis, Jamison Crowder, Denzel Mims, Keelan Cole & <insert WR draft pick> Is much better than the previous 3-4 years. 

Big boy Becton wasn’t on the line before Sam got here. Wilson will have the advantage of Becton year 2 & Wilson will be the center of a focused plan by JD to put the most talent possible around him.

Lots to like about Wilson’s chances compared to our previous attempt.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1